NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] A Promotion of Basic Education

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Unibot wrote:Non-religious and atheistic nations can include religion in their teachings in a variety of ways than just exclusively theologically, anthropology classes are a particularly good way of doing so while still separating the classroom or students from belief and relying on observation and critical analysis instead.

An understanding of religion even in its most abstract form provides an understanding of those who believe in their faith that may otherwise be misunderstood by aggressively atheistic nations. We're not talking about mandating that we teach our children straight from the good book, and beat them into believing in the divine walrus ... unless you want to, that is.

IC:

Those are your intentions. Noble. However, we do see an issue: it could be used by nations that hold low or little regard for religion as a blank cheque for further demonising all religions. The same clause could be used by theocratic nations to promote their single faith in a shining light while painting others as grotesque, genocidal beliefs that mandate that you eat babies.

That aside, ambassador, why mandate basic subjects? It assumes that all nations follow a primary-secondary-tertiary system. Should this draft not account for non-tradition systems?
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:38 pm

2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification, they must have been provided with at least a fair, and accurate, however basic of education it is in...
(a) The official or popular language, and literature of their nation;
(b) Mathematics -- particularly summation, and other arithmetic and fundamental operations;
(c) Political ideologies that have been nationally and/or internationally accepted;
(d) Their nation of residence’s governmental policies, and process;
(e) Social and political history of their national community and the world abroad;
(f) Common spiritual or religious practices and belief systems particularly in their nation of residence but not limited to the nebulous concept of 'religion' as a whole;
(g) Ecological, environmental and natural sciences;
(h) Any sphere of geography, astrography, social sciences, theology or philosophy that could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors;

The clauses in red pertain to religion and the inclusion of stereotyping in education. Further clauses may be needed.

Why mandate basic subjects?

I believe, for example in 2(H) that the basic subjects are included in the text to help the reader who is familiar with the subjects understand the clause better and understand the direction to approach the resolution with. However, I am working on an alternative draft that may help to amend this potential homogenization.

EDIT:
Like this...

2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification that their government must through some sort of variation of education have provided...
• Comprehensive literacy skills and fluency in the official or popular language of their nation;
• An understanding of basic arithmetical operations, geometrics and fundamental mathematics;
• A fair and impartial understanding of political ideologies that have been nationally and/or internationally accepted;
• A fair and impartial familiarity to common spiritual or religious practices and belief systems particularly in their nation of residence but not limited to the analysis of 'religion' as an ambiguous whole;
• A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;
• A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events;
• An accurate understanding of ecological life, nature and the environment;
• An acquaintance to cultural relativism and knowledge that could provide them with more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors –- including but not limited to traveling abroad, or educating students in geography, astrography, social sciences, conflict resolution, theology or philosophy;
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Is there a way to fold education on the subject of religion into a broader "social studies" category that would include topics like politics and culture?

Ambassador Darvek-kan Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Krioval wrote:Is there a way to fold education on the subject of religion into a broader "social studies" category that would include topics like politics and culture?

I don't know if I know exactly what you mean, can provide a general example?

Yours
Pascal S. Wager

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Unibot wrote:I don't know if I know exactly what you mean, can provide a general example?

Actually, "social...history of their national community" should cover any topics on religion or spirituality that would be relevant, in our opinion - especially at a "primary" level of education.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Do you mean like...

• A fair and impartial familiarity to common cultural customs, beliefs and ideologies in their nation of residence and abroad;

??

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Krioval wrote:
Unibot wrote:I don't know if I know exactly what you mean, can provide a general example?

Actually, "social...history of their national community" should cover any topics on religion or spirituality that would be relevant, in our opinion - especially at a "primary" level of education.

True, but sometimes social history and the common religion and spirituality of a nation can differ drastically, particularly if there is an underground popularity for a belief system, with an autocratic leader who does not support the religion.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

The inclusion of that criteria would shorten it to these restrictions...

2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification that their government must through some sort of variation of education have provided...
• Comprehensive literacy skills and fluency in the official or popular language of their nation;
• An understanding of basic arithmetical operations, geometrics and fundamental mathematics;
• A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;
• A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events, politics and society;
• A fair and impartial familiarity to common cultural customs, beliefs and ideologies in their nation of residence and abroad;
• An acquaintance to cultural relativism and knowledge that could provide them with more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors –- including but not limited to traveling abroad, or educating students in geography, astrography, social sciences, conflict resolution, theology or philosophy;

...and the last one might not even be needed anymore.

Krioval
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Unibot wrote:True, but sometimes social history and the common religion and spirituality of a nation can differ drastically, particularly if there is an underground popularity for a belief system, with an autocratic leader who does not support the religion.

It's not a terrible clause, to be sure, but I can imagine a lot of complaints hinging on its specific inclusion. The WA currently grants religious freedom, so the scenario Your Excellency has provided is unlikely. However, if Your Excellency insists on specifically mentioning religion in this proposal, the Imperial Chiefdom will not offer opposition on this reason alone.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Krioval wrote:
Unibot wrote:True, but sometimes social history and the common religion and spirituality of a nation can differ drastically, particularly if there is an underground popularity for a belief system, with an autocratic leader who does not support the religion.

It's not a terrible clause, to be sure, but I can imagine a lot of complaints hinging on its specific inclusion. The WA currently grants religious freedom, so the scenario Your Excellency has provided is unlikely. However, if Your Excellency insists on specifically mentioning religion in this proposal, the Imperial Chiefdom will not offer opposition on this reason alone.

See my further comments, I won't insist anything, ambassador. I'll just be sneaky with noble intentions.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Unibot wrote:• An acquaintance to cultural relativism and knowledge that could provide them with more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors –- including but not limited to traveling abroad, or educating students in geography, astrography, social sciences, conflict resolution, theology or philosophy;

Ever more close to perfection, but I do think any generic mention of "knowledge", along with the "not limited to" formula can lead to "hyberbolic interpretations" that are the central argument of the Repeal still at vote, we regretfully must inform.

Otherwise, a successful enterprise.
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Unibot wrote:• An acquaintance to cultural relativism and knowledge that could provide them with more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors –- including but not limited to traveling abroad, or educating students in geography, astrography, social sciences, conflict resolution, theology or philosophy;

Ever more close to perfection, but I do think any generic mention of "knowledge", along with the "not limited to" formula can lead to "hyberbolic interpretations" that are the central argument of the Repeal still at vote, we regretfully must inform.

Otherwise, a successful enterprise.

How'll about removing that clause completely...

• A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events, politics and society;
• Knowledge of the geographical and/or astrographical characteristics of their surrounding environment, including natural, political and demographical characteristics;

??

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Unibot wrote:2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification that their government must through some sort of variation of education have provided...
• Knowledge of the geographical and/or astrographical characteristics of their surrounding environment, including natural, political and demographical characteristics;

I definitely prefer this to the original.

I wouldn't mind a clarification regarding the understanding of basic arithmetic to be able to accomplish asks to function in the local economy (i.e. ability to balance a checkbook, etc.), but I'm not sure if that would be organic. And specifying that sort of detail is likely inappropriate since some nations may not have banks/checking accounts/etc. for individuals.

I'd also love to see a copy of the comprehensive latest version when you have a chance.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Unibot wrote:2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification that their government must through some sort of variation of education have provided...

Seconded!

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

I wouldn't mind a clarification regarding the understanding of basic arithmetic to be able to accomplish asks to function in the local economy (i.e. ability to balance a checkbook, etc.), but I'm not sure if that would be organic. And specifying that sort of detail is likely inappropriate since some nations may not have banks/checking accounts/etc. for individuals.

I'd also love to see a copy of the comprehensive latest version when you have a chance.

I'd be a fan of including basic financial knowledge as well into the education,

How'll about...

A basic knowledge of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;

???

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm

A basic knowledge of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;

I'm for it. You managed to do it without falling in Ideological Ban pitfalls, good job.
In the Name of
A simple truth

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 pm

:clap:
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Jey
Attaché

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Jey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:That aside, ambassador, why mandate basic subjects? It assumes that all nations follow a primary-secondary-tertiary system. Should this draft not account for non-tradition systems?

I agree with Kryozerkia here, Unibot. While Jey does follow the typical primary-secondary-tertiary(-quaternary-quintary) system, I see no need to evangelize this type of education system.

I also take issue with the necessity that students need to learn these subjects before the "age of basic edification". What occurs with non-ageist nations that affirm all rights to those at the moment of birth, or otherwise very low ages of edification that could not possibly comply with this resolution?

Vance Aceon
Deputy Presiding Jevian WA Representative
The Allied Empire of Jey (Jey Wiki - Featured Article) See also: Jevian, Universitus University - FAs
NSwiki Bureaucrat
Delegate: United Nations
Member: UN Old Guard
UN Resolutions: 125, 138, 139(C), 153, 157(C), 161(C), 166(S), 176, 191, 199, 213, 240, 244
WA Resolutions: 77(GA)

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Jey wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:That aside, ambassador, why mandate basic subjects? It assumes that all nations follow a primary-secondary-tertiary system. Should this draft not account for non-tradition systems?

I agree with Kryozerkia here, Unibot. While Jey does follow the typical primary-secondary-tertiary(-quaternary-quintary) system, I see no need to evangelize this type of education system.

I also take issue with the necessity that students need to learn these subjects before the "age of basic edification". What occurs with non-ageist nations that affirm all rights to those at the moment of birth, or otherwise very low ages of edification that could not possibly comply with this resolution?

Vance Aceon

• A basic knowledge of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;

And how does this nation plan on complying to these requirements without waiting to teach citizens at an appropriate age (yet still before the biological definition of the Age of Basic Edification)?

Jey
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Jey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm

Unibot wrote:
Jey wrote:

Vance Aceon

• A basic knowledge of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;

And how does this nation plan on complying to these requirements without waiting to teach citizens at an appropriate age (yet still before the biological definition of the Age of Basic Edification)?

Let me clarify: let's say the age of basic edification were 0. It would make it impossible for said nation to be compliant.
The Allied Empire of Jey (Jey Wiki - Featured Article) See also: Jevian, Universitus University - FAs
NSwiki Bureaucrat
UN Resolutions: 125, 138, 139(C), 153, 157(C), 161(C), 166(S), 176, 191, 199, 213, 240, 244

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Is a committee in order? A committee is always appropriate to handle elusive definitions.
In the Name of
A simple truth

Piliotechnostracy
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Piliotechnostracy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Ding! Committee! Dong! Cimmottee! Duplicate yourself in case of extraneous eventualities!!!! :ugeek:

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Jey wrote:
Unibot wrote:
Jey wrote:

Vance Aceon

Let me clarify: let's say the age of basic edification were 0. It would make it impossible for said nation to be compliant.

So you're saying if a species is born that has a fully developed mind at the time of birth, and whose age of majority is at the time of birth?

I don't like determined stats in proposals, but a quarter of the average life expediency of a citizen of their nation seems like it has potential as an additional definition for the Age of Basic Edification? No?

Jey
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Jey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Unibot wrote:So you're saying if a species is born that has a fully developed mind at the time of birth, and whose age of majority is at the time of birth?

I don't like determined stats in proposals, but a quarter of the average life expediency of a citizen of their nation seems like it has potential as an additional definition for the Age of Basic Edification? No?

It needn't be an entirely new species. There is a line of thought that current laws that restrict voting to 18, driving to 16, and drinking to 21 (US laws just go with me) are "ageist" - they're applying an arbitrary age number to bestow additional rights to citizens. What about nations that do not apply "ageist" laws? May seem impractical, but I remember this theoretical nation coming up in UN debates in the past. I would be shocked if such a nation did not exist in the WA. And for these non-ageist nations, compliance with this draft is impossible.
Last edited by Jey on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSwiki Bureaucrat

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Jey wrote:
Unibot wrote:So you're saying if a species is born that has a fully developed mind at the time of birth, and whose age of majority is at the time of birth?

It needn't be an entirely new species. There is a line of thought that current laws that restrict voting to 18, driving to 16, and drinking to 21 (US laws just go with me) is "ageist" - it's applying an arbitrary age number to bestow additional rights to citizens. What about nations that do not apply "ageist" laws? May seem impractical, but I remember this theoretical nation coming up in UN debates in the past. I would be shocked if such a nation did not exist in the WA. And for these non-ageist nations, compliance with this draft is impossible.

Okay, let me think about this...

The point of deciding an age was to prevent nations from stalling on education till far later, or till they're likely to be dead.

1. Requires that a government must through some sort of variation of education have timely provided all citizens of their nation with...

Anything terrible with this?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives