NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] A Promotion of Basic Education

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sbirschgr
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sbirschgr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Sbirschgr, after a lengthy debate has decided to vote against this. Primary Education is so basic that it should be enforced anyway. It should not be something we are forced into. Education is a private matter and our system should not be the basis of debates from and involving other nations.

We also disagree with the points of what to actually teach. Our silibus is our own matter.

Last time we had a vote on education we voted for it. However, after some good arguments we have turned against this.

Sbirschgr
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sbirschgr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:So, more WA handouts, then.

Indeed, nations are being rewarded for failing.

Free Fredonians
Secretary

Founded: Feb 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Fredonians » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Sionis Prioritus,

I am deeply saddened to inform the Assembly that FFF simply cannot support this proposal for the following reasons:

First, it requires member nations to educate those who are "otherwise incapable of learning". That is, to say the least, the most ridiculous thing I have ever, ever, ever heard. Ever. How is my nation supposed to teach anyone who is, as pronounced by the law, incapable of learning!? I am terribly disappointed, as I was hoping the defeat of the previous bill would make way for a better piece of legislation. Alas, I am let down.

Second, this bill also explicitly forces member nations to educate those persons who come within their borders from another. Free Fredonians will not pay for the education of non-citizens. Period.

We vote NO, and I implore my most distinguished colleagues to vote NO also.
Ambassador Regal Hollings
Federal Ambassador to the World Assembly
The Federation of Free Fredonians

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:12 am

Voting FOR, almost entirely out of spite for the Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation living up to its name and threatening war against a large portion of the world.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Tuval
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuval » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 am

Isn't this the "Primary Education Act" that was just voted against, but under a different name?

The Empire of Tuval will be voting against this proposal. It is our belief that every nation has a sovereign right to govern itself. Farther more, we don't believe that other nations should dictate our policies, such as what is taught in our classrooms. We believe that religion and politics should be separate.
Last edited by Tuval on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Binary Load Lifters
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Binary Load Lifters » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:18 am

Tuval wrote:Isn't this the "Primary Education Act" that was just voted against, but under a different name?

No. This act addresses the same aim, but in a different way.

I, for one, have voted FOR this one, where I voted AGAINST the Primary Education Act. I do feel that the new act addresses the issue to our nation's satisfaction (as nationally, education is mandatory from the age of 4, and we teach a broad range of subjects. Currently 26% of the budget is allocated to Education, which explains why we have so many people in University), without as far as we can see, including clauses which waste money, which was my bone of contention with the honourable ambassador of Glen-Rhodes' resolution.

Coming as I do, from running one of our country's largest banks, while it is noble to strive for improvement, the bottom line is the final arbiter.

Yours,

Jonathan Bassh
Ambassador to the WA
Binary Load Lifters
BINARY LOAD LIFTERS
Leader/Head of State/Commander-in-Chief: Citizen 1
Ambassador to WA: Jonathan Bassh (Citizen 5565HKFD30)
Region: Europe - The best region in NationStates
Factbook: http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Binary_Load_Lifters
Puppet nation(s)
Viridian Islands http://www.nationstates.net/nation=viridian_islands A breakaway nation for the furtherment of Green Democracy

BadIron
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby BadIron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:19 am

Tuval wrote:Isn't this the "Primary Education Act" that was just voted against, but under a different name?

Yes. They changed a few words and resubmitted it. For some reason we are looking at it again. All my previous objections still stand. How many times are we going to see this silly education resolution? Aren't there other things we can be discussing?

Vote AGAINST

BadIron
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby BadIron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 am

Binary Load Lifters wrote:

No. This act addresses the same aim, but in a different way.

I, for one, have voted FOR this one, where I voted AGAINST the Primary Education Act. I do feel that the new act addresses the issue to our nation's satisfaction (as nationally, education is mandatory from the age of 4, and we teach a broad range of subjects. Currently 26% of the budget is allocated to Education, which explains why we have so many people in University), without as far as we can see, including clauses which waste money, which was my bone of contention with the honourable ambassador of Glen-Rhodes' resolution.

Coming as I do, from running one of our country's largest banks, while it is noble to strive for improvement, the bottom line is the final arbiter.

Yours,

Jonathan Bassh
Ambassador to the WA
Binary Load Lifters

It's the same thing ... just watered down.

Vote AGAINST.

Tuval
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

[AT VOTE] A Promotion of Basic Education

Postby Tuval » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am

Both seem to be very similar to each other and infringes on the sovereignty of the members of the WA. Simple fact is there is no such thing as an 'impartial and fair' view.

Sbirschgr
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sbirschgr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am

BadIron wrote:

Yes. They changed a few words and resubmitted it. For some reason we are looking at it again. All my previous objections still stand. How many times are we going to see this silly education resolution? Aren't there other things we can be discussing?

Exactly. We can do better than recycle something which has already failed once.

BadIron
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby BadIron » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:29 am

Unibot wrote:Shit... Clause 3 ..
3. Establishes a division of the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), entitled the Global Initiative for Basic Education (GIBE) to oversee the creation, accuracy and continuance of a registrar that lists all member nations that are currently deemed to be genuinely unable to economically support the requirements of basic edification based on this document;

...Is from an earlier draft, it should not have been included, my bad. It doesn't hurt the draft, but it has the GIBE making some pointless list. Grrrr... I hate rushing proposals. Dammit.

Sir,

Did you just admit that your own proposal is flawed? " ... should not have been included ..." Perhaps you would like to withdraw this mess?

Tuval
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuval » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:34 am

I've noticed the tactic of changing the wording and the name of a proposal to get it passed to further someone's goal or ideas is used quite often.

While I support teaching math, readying, and history; I can't support the international community forcing a nation to teach foreign languages, religion in the classroom and politics.

Binary Load Lifters
Envoy

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Binary Load Lifters » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 am

Free Fredonians wrote:Sionis Prioritus,

I am deeply saddened to inform the Assembly that FFF simply cannot support this proposal for the following reasons:

First, it requires member nations to educate those who are "otherwise incapable of learning". That is, to say the least, the most ridiculous thing I have ever, ever, ever heard. Ever. How is my nation supposed to teach anyone who is, as pronounced by the law, incapable of learning!? I am terribly disappointed, as I was hoping the defeat of the previous bill would make way for a better piece of legislation. Alas, I am let down.

Second, this bill also explicitly forces member nations to educate those persons who come within their borders from another. Free Fredonians will not pay for the education of non-citizens. Period.

We vote NO, and I implore my most distinguished colleagues to vote NO also.

Dear Mr Hollings

My honourable colleague - Unfortunately, I have to disagree and have voted FOR this resolution. In the terms of our own nation (OOC: apologies for excessive RP):

- Our advances in medical technologies have reduced the incidences of those born with learning difficulties, and for those that do, we have methods of remedy. For example, we are beginning to see breakthroughs for autism sufferers.
- Our borders are strict to filter out those we don't want here, however we see it as a great opportunity for young persons who emigrate here, to learn and appreciate the tenets of our nation, and contribute just as any other citizen. Which can also be read as turning them into us.

Those who do enter the country illegally may still receive a brief education before being deported, though this is mainly on the consequences to them if they try to enter this country again. We don't get many repeat offenders.

Apologies,

Jonathan Bassh
Ambassador to the WA
Binary Load Lifters
BINARY LOAD LIFTERS
Leader/Head of State/Commander-in-Chief: Citizen 1
Ambassador to WA: Jonathan Bassh (Citizen 5565HKFD30)
Region: Europe - The best region in NationStates
Factbook: http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Binary_Load_Lifters
Puppet nation(s)
Viridian Islands http://www.nationstates.net/nation=viridian_islands A breakaway nation for the furtherment of Green Democracy

Vast RWING Conspiracy
Secretary

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vast RWING Conspiracy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:57 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:For those who are considering voting for A Promotion of Basic Education, or have already voted for it, take note of some simple fact: it is the most voluntary resolution the World Assembly would have ever passed, but it delivers itself in a mask of the promotion of education.

Take into account the following:
2. Further requires that member nations attempt to provide citizens of a nation the aforementioned education in the fullest possible form for any citizen that is mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise incapable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

I have added emphasis to the relevant part of Section 2. Although A Promotion of Basic Education leads you to believe that people are granted a right to education, and that nations must provide their people with an education, the above section completely reveals the true effect (or rather, non-effect) of the resolution. At it's most, the resolution only requires that nations attempt to provide an education. It does not require that nations follow through with the mandates written in A Promotion of Basic Education.

This means that nations can skirt around their responsibility to educate their citizens. Dictatorships will still be able to keep their people in the dark; an educated people will revolt, so they choose to not educate them. All they have to do is attempt to educate them, and that attempt does not have to be serious; they could, for all it matters, simply say they plan to educate them, but then not follow through with anything. So, if you are considering voting for, or already have voted for, A Promotion of Basic Education, because you believe it actually provides people with a right of education, or that it actually promotes education, I hope you reconsider the facts of the proposal: it doesn't do either; it doesn't require that nations actually provide an education. This major flaw is a result of the author spending no more than 24 hours writing the proposal, when most authors spend weeks writing theirs.

If this passes, the World Assembly is stuck with it, unless, by some gift from the Gods, we are able to repeal it and replace it. The World Assembly cannot go back and amend it. We cannot pass another, better education resolution, either. We already repealed a flawed "The Right to Education". Let's not pass another lackluster, flawed resolution to replace it. I strongly suggest that delegates and members vote against A Promotion of Basic Education, for the above reasons.

Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

This would be a perfect example of what the Ambassador from Glen-Rhodes lamented as nations interpreting the worse scenario and forming their basis of an against vote solely on that. Love it.

The Vast RWING Conspiracy will vote FOR this resolution. It does not step on our migration laws, forcing us to provide education to illegal aliens. It limits the use of GAO funds given for education to be used solely for education but given only on a verified as NEEDED basis. We do not like being told what specific subjects must be included in our curriculum, but those areas where we disagree will probably receive the lowest funding and least subject development.

Sbirschgr
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sbirschgr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:28 am

Vast RWING Conspiracy wrote: It limits the use of GAO funds given for education to be used solely for education but given only on a verified as NEEDED basis.

Which makes it look as though you are allowed to fail your country because someone else will pay for it.

We should instead help secure these nations instead of merely taking the bill for them.
Last edited by Sbirschgr on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 am

Since the alternative version has managed to qualify since the defeat of the other version, we said we'd for for, and so we will vote for.

Yours etc,

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:55 am

We could get into the topic of resolution piracy later, but before that we need to address a few points:

PEA was written and sponsored by Glen-Rhodes; drafting on forum started on Mon May 18, 2009;

APoBE was written by Unibot and promoted by Sionis Prioratus; drafting on forum started Thu Feb 11, 2010;

PEA was strongly opposed by the current writers of APoBE;

Sionis Prioratus invoked the image of Lady Gaga upon the defeat of PEA (a condemnable offense if ever there was one; on a level beyond that of even stripper commandoes);

Pay close attention to the Pacific feeders; because they voted against PEA. I would not be surprised to see them vote for APoBE. Europe abstained on PEA but jumped right in on APoBE; WHY?

Resolution piracy? Personally I wouldn't go that far. I mean the resolutions speak for themselves don't they?
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Vast RWING Conspiracy
Secretary

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vast RWING Conspiracy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:05 am

Sbirschgr wrote:
Vast RWING Conspiracy wrote: It limits the use of GAO funds given for education to be used solely for education but given only on a verified as NEEDED basis.

Which makes it look as though you are allowed to fail your country because someone else will pay for it.

We should instead help secure these nations instead of merely taking the bill for them.

which is where the "verified" need would play in. If it is deemed that a nation has failed solely to receive assistance then that could be basis for denial of funds.

Tunakstan
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunakstan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 am

The land of Tunakstan votes for. The literacy percentage in many regions of the world are very low, therefor enforcing basic education will set the base needed for further education to build itself on.

Sincerely,
Tunakstan

Diatraba
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:29 am

Honoured Ambassadors

The votes stand that this Resolution is easily going to pass. There are 1,123 votes for this resolution, and 145 votes against. I clearly think that my Regional Delegate, Alsted, is one of the most important voters at this moment, as he carries 322 votes, which is under half of the total population of Europe. He has given his support to our cause, which may be the reason why we have so many votes in favour - because of the fact that so many powerful delegates have rallied to our cause! We should see if other delegates will do likewise.

I yield the floor
Dimitri MacCarinson - Honourary Chief Ambassador on behalf of the Communist State of Diatraba (PMT)- One nation, one vision!
DEFCON: 3 - army at rediness - rediness levels above normal
UK Threat Level: Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
REDCON: 2 - Full Alert - Army ready to fight
My Nation's Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian Authoritarian: 3.69
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:52 am

I would venture to say that, through apparent back-door deals with the top delegates, this ugly proposal will indeed pass, barring some sort of strange enlightenment of the entire Assembly.

However, for those nations who are voting against, take pleasure in that fact that the faulty writing makes the entire proposal completely voluntary. All nations must do is provide 'some sort of variation of edification'. (By the way, 'edification' is not equal to 'education'; in the author's search to sound educated himself, he uses a synonym that's primary definition is spiritual and moral uplifting.) Well, in Glen-Rhodes, that will be a few books on a few shelves in some small public library. We will continue to go along with our own excelling educational system, the one we've had for quite some time now. We would rather not be subject to this sophomoric attempt at international law, which is filled with nothing but politics and devoid of any serious want to improve education across the world.

Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:38 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:However, for those nations who are voting against, take pleasure in that fact that the faulty writing makes the entire proposal completely voluntary.

I read through this, then came here and was about to post the question, "Does this resolution actually do anything?"
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am

We wish the authors of this resolution luck. Your draft covers more than Glen-Rhodes' proposal could ever dream of. We believe your proposal is a most suitable replacement. We look forward to the final results when the majority has voted with its collective spirit in favour of a proposal that acknowledges through its absence of definitive language the diversity of educational systems within the WA.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Ethan Oglesbee
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethan Oglesbee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am

Flibbleites wrote:The Rogue Nation of Flibbleites is still perfectly capable of running its educational system without WA involvement. Therefore we vote AGAINST.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

I agree wholeheartedly and The Empire will also be voting against. How a nation educates its citizens should be made by said nation's government, not the WA.

-Chief Ambassador Victor Smirnoff

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 am

Meekinos wrote:We wish the authors of this resolution luck. Your draft covers more than Glen-Rhodes' proposal could ever dream of. We believe your proposal is a most suitable replacement. We look forward to the final results when the majority has voted with its collective spirit in favour of a proposal that acknowledges through its absence of definitive language the diversity of educational systems within the WA.

Are you blind? You think this is less 'definitive' that the Primary Education Act? If that's the case, I've lost all faith in the ability of the majority of World Assembly states to read and understand anything whatsoever.

-- Dr. Bradford Castro

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives