NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] International Drug Education

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:17 pm

We vote AYE. Here is hoping that the superlative Delegation from Mousebumples shall break their own world record! For it is a superlative resolution.

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Serrland was more than happy to approve and then vote for this proposal. It is well written, comprehensive, and unlike many WA proposals, will have a clear and tangible impact on the lives of nearly every citizen of Serrland.

American Southrons
Political Columnist

Founded: May 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby American Southrons » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:31 pm

I would like to know how this can actually affect nations that much to be considered for a GA Proposal.

TailsPrower
Spokesperson

Founded: May 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TailsPrower » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm

i find it to be fascinating but there is one flaw... if you cannot create companies/organizations with the same usage of letters that is i'm not so much sure of the program if they are the same but have apparently similar aspects to it.

this is the company/program with the same letters that you are trying to form, which is IDEA. well this is the link to the website anyhow: http://idea.ed.gov/ along with http://www.idea.int/ . just throwing it out there because i am not all that clear on legal and illegal proposals... but if you cannot create organizations/companies/programs that EXIST and/or are similar in ways then I'd define it as illegal but if you can then by all means go for it.
Please pardon my atrocious spelling as I am a terrible speller most of the time...
Long Live Sonic The (blue) Hedgehog, miles "Tails" Prower, Amy rose (the pink hedgehog), Cream the Rabbit, Vanilla the Rabbit, Cheese the Chao and Rouge the Bat!! :)

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:09 pm

TailsPrower wrote:i find it to be fascinating but there is one flaw... if you cannot create companies/organizations with the same usage of letters that is i'm not so much sure of the program if they are the same but have apparently similar aspects to it.

this is the company/program with the same letters that you are trying to form, which is IDEA. well this is the link to the website anyhow: http://idea.ed.gov/ along with http://www.idea.int/ . just throwing it out there because i am not all that clear on legal and illegal proposals... but if you cannot create organizations/companies/programs that EXIST and/or are similar in ways then I'd define it as illegal but if you can then by all means go for it.

OOC: As long as the agency doesn't exist in the NS-verse, it can be created and given any name/acronym the proposal author desires - providing that the agency's creation doesn't violate the standard rules about writing proposals. If you're more interested in proposal writing, I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the forum thread list or starting a new thread if you have a general question.

TailsPrower
Spokesperson

Founded: May 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TailsPrower » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Thank you for the clarification
Please pardon my atrocious spelling as I am a terrible speller most of the time...
Long Live Sonic The (blue) Hedgehog, miles "Tails" Prower, Amy rose (the pink hedgehog), Cream the Rabbit, Vanilla the Rabbit, Cheese the Chao and Rouge the Bat!! :)

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 pm

American Southrons wrote:I would like to know how this can actually affect nations that much to be considered for a GA Proposal.

I can't say I'm quite clear on your question/concern, American Southrons. The proposal will clearly affect individual patient health outcomes on an international scale by allowing for the spread of drug information (predominantly regarding efficacy and side effects, but certainly not limited to those items only) throughout the WA-verse. Further, funding is provided to allow nations to do further research on already discovered drugs to better understand their use.

I hope that this funding will result in some excellent comparative efficacy trials (i.e. Drug A versus Drug B versus merely Drug A versus placebo), but I did not stipulate such a thing in the proposal wording as I did not want to limit what sort of studies could be done and what information could be gathered.

Krioval wrote:Excellent. I am glad to see that this has qualified for a floor vote, and I look forward to this resolution's swift passage.

As always, your support is greatly appreciated, Ambassador Volkov!

The Palentine wrote:The Palentine votes enthusiastically for this resolution.

Thanks, Senator Sulla! I knew I could count on you for the At Vote BUMP as well. (OOC: especially since I was *gasp* toiling away at work when quorum was officially achieved and thereby unable to mark the occasion myself.)

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:We have found absolutely nothing wrong that can be realistically resolved. Acknowledging the justification for a newsletter instead of a journal, Ms. Harper is pleased to vote in favour. It would also be interesting to see if the IDEA newsletter would be the subject of a non-canon roleplay in future, considering the current enthusiasm for the ICC.

A non-canon roleplay of the IDEA Quarterly does intrigue me, I must admit. And from the look of most (American) drug names, they'd be fairly easy to create - just pound on the keyboard and voila! New drug! Like, I've just created Pawlk, a drug to help with anxiety. Or Habsij, which cures male pattern baldness.

Thanks for your support, Ambassador Harper!

Sionis Prioratus wrote:We vote AYE. Here is hoping that the superlative Delegation from Mousebumples shall break their own world record! For it is a superlative resolution.

Shhhhh! Don't jinx things!

Many thanks to Ambassador Saint-Clair for his support. I look forward to continue to discuss and debate this subject with my fellow Assembly members.

Serrland wrote:Serrland was more than happy to approve and then vote for this proposal. It is well written, comprehensive, and unlike many WA proposals, will have a clear and tangible impact on the lives of nearly every citizen of Serrland.

Such a concise endorsement of the proposal - perhaps I should look into hiring individuals from Serrland to help with the PR aspect of proposal authoring in the future ...

Thanks for your support!

Krioval wrote:OOC: As long as the agency doesn't exist in the NS-verse, it can be created and given any name/acronym the proposal author desires - providing that the agency's creation doesn't violate the standard rules about writing proposals. If you're more interested in proposal writing, I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the forum thread list or starting a new thread if you have a general question.

To further elaborate on Krioval's point, I don't believe that it would be legal for me to create, say, the WHO - as the World Health Organization. However, if I wanted to create the WHO, which had a different name and purpose ... say the Witness Hiding Organization (WHO), that would be legal. It's not allowed to replicate already existing RL bodies in name and action (and recreating their bylaws/etc. for the GA would likely be a plagiarism violation); however, it is permissible to use the same acronym letters within the WA. Most good acronyms are already taken by one, if not more than one, organization in RL. If we crossed all of those off the list, it would remove all of the fun ones. And I had fun trying to spell things out with my acronyms in this proposal - IDEA (which I think is obvious) and DOCTUS, which is Latin for "having been taught." Given the Latin root of so many medical terms, it seemed appropriate.

Thanks again to everyone for their support. As always, I'm happy to answer questions and provide clarification as needed.

Yours,
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Furnda
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furnda » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm

The Furnda Ambassador, a member of the Android Xenomorphic Language Equivocator (AXLE) 200 series looked around the assembly, scanning for thermal indication of opposition, and finding very little. AXLE was mimicking ambassadors around it, finally with its processing unit running through its lexicon extensively to compile the most 'normal' WA ambassador, ever, for Furnda.

AXLE morphed into a tall, red-headed vixen of a certain endowed physique, who enjoyed smoking a pipe, drinking scotch straight from the bottle, and wearing no pants. She spoke with a particularly stern but very drunk language, as she slurred around to get to the point, with hints of mechanical thought, ever so slightly appearing as unusual words or brief moments of hesitation, which was actually brief moments of recalibration.

AXLE looked over at an ambassador who drank a bottle of scotch -- she drank the bottle quicker, filling her plastic stomach without the need to swallow.. and mimicked a burp.

"I.. er.." she stumbled on her words, trying to stand up straight. ".. I have been furiously trying to process what *hic* I could possibly have a problem with this proposal.. *hic*, I thought you'd just like to know that my sensors predicate that this resolutions has a 99.9999999444446666222221111999999 % chance of passing, with a slight margin for *hic* error. I'd also like to expand my lexicon with knowledge of recreational drug usage, I was just going to contact Mr. Heir, but seeing as how he is currently detained, this will have to do."

The Asylum Manager
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Asylum Manager » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 am

The Ambassador to TAM applauds Ambassador Hall for this well written proposal and is voting 'FOR'. We look forward to adding our medical research data to DOCTUS.

We yield the floor.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:20 am

Mousebumples wrote:To further elaborate on Krioval's point, I don't believe that it would be legal for me to create, say, the WHO - as the World Health Organization. However, if I wanted to create the WHO, which had a different name and purpose ... say the Witness Hiding Organization (WHO), that would be legal. It's not allowed to replicate already existing RL bodies in name and action (and recreating their bylaws/etc. for the GA would likely be a plagiarism violation); however, it is permissible to use the same acronym letters within the WA. Most good acronyms are already taken by one, if not more than one, organization in RL. If we crossed all of those off the list, it would remove all of the fun ones.

OOC: However I suspect that using the initials 'UN', for any sort of WA agency, is probably out of the question... ;)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:To further elaborate on Krioval's point, I don't believe that it would be legal for me to create, say, the WHO - as the World Health Organization. However, if I wanted to create the WHO, which had a different name and purpose ... say the Witness Hiding Organization (WHO), that would be legal. It's not allowed to replicate already existing RL bodies in name and action (and recreating their bylaws/etc. for the GA would likely be a plagiarism violation); however, it is permissible to use the same acronym letters within the WA. Most good acronyms are already taken by one, if not more than one, organization in RL. If we crossed all of those off the list, it would remove all of the fun ones.

OOC: However I suspect that using the initials 'UN', for any sort of WA agency, is probably out of the question... ;)

Not if it refers to the "Union of Navigators", in a cartography and navigation resolution, for example. :p

Zyberkalicystan
Secretary

Founded: Jun 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zyberkalicystan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:21 pm

IDEA is an awsome acronym-
as is this resolution
Last edited by Zyberkalicystan on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duty. Honor. Country...
They are your rallying piont to
Build courage when Courage seems to fail
To regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith
To create hope when hope becomes forlorn
-Gen. Douglas MacArthur
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Zyberkalicystan wrote:IDEA is an awsome acronym-
as is this resolution

I liked it. Fun with acronyms!

Thanks for the support.
Proud Member of UNOG

Fultona
Civilian

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fultona » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Although looking at the votes and noticing that we are in the minority, the Corporate Republic of Fultona must respectfully vote no on this resolution on the grounds of protecting national sovereignty, our health care industry, and the Fultonan tax payer.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Fultona wrote:Although looking at the votes and noticing that we are in the minority, the Corporate Republic of Fultona must respectfully vote no on this resolution on the grounds of protecting national sovereignty, our health care industry, and the Fultonan tax payer.

I won't dispute the tax that would be associated with the passage of this proposal, but that's true of almost all WA resolutions. (not counting repeals, of course) Them's the breaks if you're a member of the WA.

However, may I ask how you feel this proposal violates your national sovereignty and your health care industry?
Last edited by Mousebumples on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of UNOG

The Asylum Manager
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Asylum Manager » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 am

Fultona wrote:Although looking at the votes and noticing that we are in the minority, the Corporate Republic of Fultona must respectfully vote no on this resolution on the grounds of protecting national sovereignty, our health care industry, and the Fultonan tax payer.

We fail to grasp how this resolution infringes on Fultona's national sovereignty. If it were possible, we would gladly pay your share of this resolution's cost to alleviate the (small) impact on your tax payer. If anything, your health care industry would benefit from this resolution, so it doesn't need any protecting at all.

We yield the floor respectfully.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

Not if it refers to the "Union of Navigators", in a cartography and navigation resolution, for example. :p

That would be highly doubtful. Do you remember a famous wrestling organization known today as WWE? It used to be known as the WWF.

In 2000, the World Wide Fund for Nature (also WWF), an environmental organization, sued the World Wrestling Federation. The Law Lords agreed that Titan Sports had violated a 1994 agreement which had limited the permissible use of the WWF initials overseas, particularly in merchandising. Both companies used the initials since March 1979. The last televised event to market the WWF logo was UK based PPV Insurrextion 2002. On May 5, 2002, the company changed all references on its website from "WWF" to "WWE", while switching the URL from WWF.com to WWE.com. The next day, a press release announced the official name change from World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. to World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., or WWE, and the change was publicized later that day during a telecast of Monday Night Raw, which emanated from the Hartford Civic Center in Hartford, Connecticut. For a short time, WWE used the slogan "Get The 'F' Out." The company had also been ordered by the Lords to stop using the old WWF Attitude logo on any of its properties and to censor all past references to WWF, as they no longer owned the trademark to the initials WWF in 'specified circumstances'. Despite litigation, WWE is still permitted use of the original WWF logo, which was used from 1984 through 1997, as well as the "New WWF Generation" logo, which was used from 1994 through 1998. Furthermore, the company may still make use of the full "World Wrestling Federation" and "World Wrestling Federation Entertainment" names without consequence.

The UN would sue the pants off of NS if it even tried to pull a vague use of their acronym. The joke is that there are several major facebook games that are flaunting the UN and the UN logo as a part of their game with impunity.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 pm

LOL. We WERE going to try to cut taxes... But we think we can hold out for just a while. I guess old habits (100% TAX RATES, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-) die hard. FOR.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm

I have cast New Rockport's vote in favor of this resolution. While there is no specific exemption for data that are legally privileged, there is also nothing that specifically requires holders of legally privileged data to hand these data over to the IDEA.

-Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the General Assembly
Federal Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Greenlandic People
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenlandic People » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:45 pm

The ongoing debate is brought to a sudden halt as the doors to the General Assembly chamber fly open, revealing a lone ambassador of seventy-odd years standing in the door-frame. Walking with only the slightest hint of a limp this familiar figure strides down the central aisle, seemingly unaware of the confused whispers that have begun to rise around his entrance. As if sensing their distress he takes the lectern with a casual air, his grin befitting an old friend, or a relative long ago lost

"Good evening, ambassadors. I daresay you may have forgotten who I am- I know that I certainly would have were I in your place, although I suppose it is my old age that I may blame for that. I am Sigismund Ibsen, the Greenlandic Ambassador to the World Assembly. There was a time when I held the title of Delegate too, but you know...the tides of politics and all.

Now the stance of my government is FOR this resolution, but I have something more important to talk about. Now the more inquisitive among you may be wondering: 'Mr. Ibsen, where have you been and why has it taken you so long to return to your duties?' Well, you see, the answer is really quite simple...

I was in my office one day earlier in the Spring, dictating a resolution to my secretary on the use of penguins as footrests, whereupon there was a knock on my door. I was most surprised- it was half past ten by this point, and I never receive visitors after the eighth hour, unless I invited them, in which case they invariable arrive at 11:56 in the morning.

I was rightfully suspicious, and I called out to the unknown passer-by to identify himself and explain his business with me at once. You can imagine my surprise when, instead of the prompt and polite explanation that I had requested, my queries were met only with silence and an odd shuffling sound. At this point I began to grow frightened, and my mind began to consider the various possible identities of my unknown visitor.

Naturally, I concluded that the unknown quantity was none other than an Urgenchi garroter, sent by the vile Khan Mongkha in order to vindicate his honor after the terrible thrashing that my loyal huscarls gave his warriors in the Free Trade Pie War. Having decided this to be the most sensible conclusion I hastily armed myself with the pistol that I keep in my desk and promptly imitated the sound of a rearing horse- horses being practically magnetic to a step going peoples such as the Urgenchi.

Naturally my ruse worked, but you can surely imagine my surprise when the villain in question was not a garroter at all, but a Turkoman shaman, fully versed in all the unholy arts of Muspellheim. So surprised was I by this unpredicted turn of events that I failed to discharge a single round from my pistol before the vile sorcerer sent me tumbling into a chaotic abyss of time and space.

After a brief and traumatizing trip I landed in the midst of a sweeping field, filled with placid goats. Naturally, my unmatched expertise in the field of goats allowed me to quickly identify the species, and I was able to discern that I had in fact emerged from my ordeal in my native Greenland, circa 1499. I was left with no means of getting home.

The rest of my journey is significantly less exciting. For the next five-hundred years I lived a mundane and unexciting life. I partook in the Greenlandic expedition to Palaam, briefly becoming an adviser to Sultan Vishtaap III, although I later resigned after the unnatural length of my service drew unwanted attention. Some decades later I traveled to the Steppes and attempted to organize the Akamian army to resist that of Altanar, but this too ended in failure and obscurity. I ultimately spent the rest of my years as a traveling sailor until I clandestinely used the shaman skills I had learned among the Zanjani to attack myself in my office and take over my role as Greenlandic ambassador to the World Assembly.

In short, it is good to be back, and I look forward to working with you all once again."
Last edited by Greenlandic People on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of ODECON
Regional Pages: Forum | Web page | Wiki Page
National Pages: Wiki | Factbook
Author of GA Resolutions: #58 | #64

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I have not been able to attend this debate for personal reasons, but am fully satisfied that this proposed resolution is worth supporting. Enn's vote is hereby cast FOR.

Angelo Lanerik,
Acting WA Ambassador for Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:59 am

Well done on the resolution passing. Image

Ms Harper is subscribing to the newsletter/journal, I wonder when the first issue will come out?

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:08 am

Congratulations, Mousey! How does it feel to be the first author to break twice the 80% barrier? :shock: :bow:

Yours,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Well done on the resolution passing. Image

Ms Harper is subscribing to the newsletter/journal, I wonder when the first issue will come out?

Thanks! :D

(NON CANON DISCUSSION:) Tentatively the first issue should be published in September, as the IDEA Quarterly will be published in March, June, September, and December. The IDEA is currently accepting applications from health care professionals from WA member nations who would be interested in assisting with the duties of the IDEA, as put forth in this now-passed resolution. If you have any health professionals within your region who are interested in participating, please have them forward their application and resume to the WAFADRA.

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Congratulations, Mousey! How does it feel to be the first author to break twice the 80% barrier? :shock: :bow:

83.2% this time per my math. And, honestly, right now? I'm still sorta in disbelief.

Of course, this wouldn't have been possible without the support and votes in favor of so many WA member nations and delegates.

Thanks to all of you who offered opinions and support throughout the drafting process and while the proposal was at vote.

Yours,
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG

Berkanya
Civilian

Founded: Jun 09, 2010