NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Sounds like a terrible resolution. How did it pass? :palm:

Thanks for clearing that up for me Sedge. At least now I am certain that my approval of this repeal to come to is correct.
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Fotar wrote:Doesn't that go against this from the FAQ's:

WA proposals cannot address the rules or mechanics of the game, nor can they ask for new features.

:unsure:

This resolution was written the way it was to get around that rule. There was no way in hell anyone could write up a resolution that demanded Pyth and [violet] to split the voting queues. The argument was raised in Technical, and the initial attitude was dismissive. When Glen-Rhodes asked that question in the same thread, Unibot took the cue from him and wrote up the resolution in question. That resolution only Liberated The Security Council (hence not a GM violation), but the text made clear the symbolic meaning, which was that the WA SC had to be split from the WA GA, and given its own voting queue.

I know people who aren't even involved with the GA or the SC or the NS forums, who still got the idea. All they did was to read the text.
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Fotar wrote:Sounds like a terrible resolution. How did it pass? :palm:

Because a large majority agreed that the split was needed, and that this was a good way of getting it done.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Travancore-Cochin wrote:This resolution was written the way it was to get around that rule. There was no way in hell anyone could write up a resolution that demanded Pyth and [violet] to split the voting queues. The argument was raised in Technical, and the initial attitude was dismissive. When Glen-Rhodes asked that question in the same thread, Unibot took the cue from him and wrote up the resolution in question. That resolution only Liberated The Security Council (hence not a GM violation), but the text made clear the symbolic meaning, which was that the WA SC had to be split from the WA GA, and given its own voting queue.

I know people who aren't even involved with the GA or the SC or the NS forums, who still got the idea. All they did was that they read the text.

So the resolution was made to support the GA-SC split but nothing about this split was said in the resolution?

That's stupid.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 pm

A mean old man wrote:
Travancore-Cochin wrote:This resolution was written the way it was to get around that rule. There was no way in hell anyone could write up a resolution that demanded Pyth and [violet] to split the voting queues. The argument was raised in Technical, and the initial attitude was dismissive. When Glen-Rhodes asked that question in the same thread, Unibot took the cue from him and wrote up the resolution in question. That resolution only Liberated The Security Council (hence not a GM violation), but the text made clear the symbolic meaning, which was that the WA SC had to be split from the WA GA, and given its own voting queue.

I know people who aren't even involved with the GA or the SC or the NS forums, who still got the idea. All they did was that they read the text.

So the resolution was made to support the GA-SC split but nothing about this split was said in the resolution?

That's stupid.

Game mechanics violations ;)

besides, didn't you once support the idea?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 pm

A mean old man wrote:So the resolution was made to support the GA-SC split but nothing about this split was said in the resolution?

That's stupid.

How many times does it have to be said. It would've been illegal to actually call for the split. Most people were intelligent enough to read that all the arguments supporting a split which were written in the resolution meant that "Liberate The Security Council" could be interpreted as "Liberate the Security Council from the General Assembly".
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:35 pm

A mean old man wrote:So the resolution was made to support the GA-SC split but nothing about this split was said in the resolution?

That's stupid.

It was put subtly here:
Hereby, in the name of dedication to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, liberates the Security Council.

And there was (and still is) only one category, the resolutions of which could have such a clause.

Nothing about the "split" could be said, because that would have been illegal (reference to the real real world).

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
A mean old man wrote:

That's stupid.

Game mechanics violations ;)

besides, didn't you once support the idea?

The idea of a GA-SC split? Yes, and I still do.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:besides, didn't you once support the idea?

The poll on his region's forum finished 2 for, 0 against - so I presume that can be read as him supporting it. Even more evidence that this repeal is just an attempt to annoy Unibot.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Travancore-Cochin wrote:It was put subtly here:
Hereby, in the name of dedication to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, liberates the Security Council.

And there was (and still is) only one category, the resolutions of which could have such a clause.

Nothing about the "split" could be said, because that would have been illegal (reference to the real real world).

Or that could be liberating the region...

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:besides, didn't you once support the idea?

The poll on his region's forum finished 2 for, 0 against - so I presume that can be read as him supporting it. Even more evidence that this repeal is just an attempt to annoy Unibot.

More proof that SC resolutions can troll/grief, starting with SC#3! :palm:

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:39 pm

A mean old man wrote:
Travancore-Cochin wrote:It was put subtly here:

Or that could be liberating the region...

Except that given all the references to the need for the split which were made earlier in the resolution, and that the idea for it was born in a thread about that split, its quite obviously not the case.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Just FYI, I happened to be busy that week and abstained from voting both on the resolution itself and in my forum's poll. I put the poll up for others to vote on, and ignored the rest of the voting-on of that resolution. Stop trying to set me up, as you're so fond of doing - it's silly, and you're not even debating the content actual repeal any more. Perhaps the content is impossible for you to debate against, and that is why you must resort to pettiness?

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:43 pm

A mean old man wrote:Or that could be liberating the region...

It could, but then you're missing the symbolic meaning. But then, there's no symbolic meaning, right?

Anyway, carry on. Don't complain that you didn't get a straight response this time.

Satan In the Flesh
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Satan In the Flesh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:46 pm

A mean old man wrote:Just FYI, I happened to be busy that week and abstained from voting both on the resolution itself and in my forum's poll. I put the poll up for others to vote on, and ignored the rest of the voting-on of that resolution. Stop trying to set me up, as you're so fond of doing - it's silly, and you're not even debating the content actual repeal any more. Perhaps the content is impossible for you to debate against, and that is why you must resort to pettiness?

To play my own advocate here, maybe you could stop trying to deflect all arguments of the proposal's obvious intentions by using the wordy nothiness that his repeal has to offer as a shield.
Last edited by Satan In the Flesh on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm gonna side with AMOM and the Repeal. I never got the whole "symbolic meaning" of liberating a region to represent the split from the GA and SC. It kinda makes sense, but to me it was a big waste of time and trouble to go through. I went so far as to submit a repeal myself, but then requested it be taken out to avoid a big arguement.

What really tipped me over the edge on this one was that Unibot was willing to go so far as to BRIBE me to betray my region to vote for Liberate Land of the Liberals. I refused.

If it reached quorum, I MAY have abstained from voting unless presented with a good arguement for either side, but this screwed things up for Unibot :palm:
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion
Former WA Delegate of Unknown
Raids participated in (regardless of outcome): 26

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Joshuahood wrote:I'm gonna side with AMOM and the Repeal. I never got the whole "symbolic meaning" of liberating a region to represent the split from the GA and SC. It kinda makes sense, but to me it was a big waste of time and trouble to go through. I went so far as to submit a repeal myself, but then requested it be taken out to avoid a big arguement.

What really tipped me over the edge on this one was that Unibot was willing to go so far as to BRIBE me to betray my region to vote for Liberate Land of the Liberals. I refused.

If it reached quorum, I MAY have abstained from voting unless presented with a good arguement for either side, but this screwed things up for Unibot :palm:

It was a cookie for gods' sake. Take the cookie!

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:
Joshuahood wrote:I'm gonna side with AMOM and the Repeal. I never got the whole "symbolic meaning" of liberating a region to represent the split from the GA and SC. It kinda makes sense, but to me it was a big waste of time and trouble to go through. I went so far as to submit a repeal myself, but then requested it be taken out to avoid a big arguement.

:rofl: You offered cookies?
EDIT: Hey wait a minute, I wasn't offered a cookie for my approval! >:(
Last edited by Topid on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:It was a cookie for gods' sake. Take the cookie!

Shame!

But this is hardly the worst I've heard about you and bribes.

However, let's not go down that route with this argument. As I said, it's not about Unibot, and never was.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Topid wrote:

*hands Topid a cookie privately*

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 pm

But I said, and I quote, "Are you proposing betraying my region? Because I will not." And you replied, and I quote you, "Are you proposing betraying my region? Because I will not.

Okay... :P"

I really don't see how you offering me a cookie, which was never discussed at all just that you would bribe me, would betray my region anyways, which was implied by you not responding after I said I would not betray my region.
Romulus Dion-Capulet Diablessa Potentia, Son of Elindra Kshrlmnt and Avakael Diablessa. Proud Grandson of Heras Savaer Dion

Joshuahood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Joshuahood » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm

and that was supposed to be a ":" and a "P", not :p. sorry

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:08 pm

A mean old man wrote:

Shame!

However, let's not go down that route with this argument. As I said, it's not about Unibot, and never was.

Really? So this thread came about after your fight out of... coincidence? Okay.

I get that this resolution wasn't the most important issue of the century, and could be deemed as a waste of time. After the string of joke proposals like Condemn Shitty Resolution Writing, Commend AWA and crew I doubt I'd vote for LtSC now if it had been submitted now rather than then. But, a repeal merely on the grouds that the original wasted time is really just another waste of time.
AKA Weed

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 pm

A mean old man wrote:

Shame!

Get the attack in, and then divert back on topic to avoid replies. Cunning.

Just try repealing this after the GA-SC split, now now. You'll find it far easier then, and you'll be able to use legitimate arguments to justify your repeal.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Topid wrote:

*hands Topid a cookie privately*

Giggles that I got a cookie without approving the proposal.
AKA Weed

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives