NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 pm

A mean old man wrote:Naw, I'd then remind you that it's the norm for co-authors to be announced at the end of the proposal.

Missing the point. Announcing yourself at the start of a resolution isn't good form. A resolution is action taken by the World Assembly/The Secucity Council, not by you. Putting your name at the start suggests its you doing it.

As was "shitty proposal writing" to symbolize what it was named for, but that was deemed illegal as it was purely symbolic. As far as I can tell, this resolution's no better, however it's a liberation rather than a C/C.

If this hadn't been passed already and was proposed nowadays, it would be deemed illegal by the moderators.

I don't believe so. Condemn Shitty Proposal Writing was deemed illegal because there was no evidence that the region was for shitty proposals - you'd put the WFE against it.

Not sure I know what you mean - of course it has overcome the challenge of not being used - in fact, I think it's becoming rather overused. I don't know what other interpretation could be made here.

Its not underused, but there are still many individuals who vote against SC resolutions because they get in the way of GA ones - which suggests the SC is still in the shadow of the GA.

Of course, that's what some people may be deceived into thinking when they see a region named "The Security Council" and a WA body called "The Security Council." I'm just making it clear to them that there's a difference, and that the region isn't, technically, any more linked to the official WA than every other region there is in the world. Did you have a different opinion?

Of course its not officially linked, but people aren't stupid. They know that the region United Nations wasn't the old NSUN, and they know that the region The Security Council isn't the body. Also, I don't see how making this clear is an argument to repeal the liberation.

Though all following passed liberations are made for security purposes, and the description of the liberation category itself is "A resolution to strike down Delegate-imposed barriers to free entry in a region." There were no delegate-imposed barriers in the case of this region, and there was and is no threat to the region's security...

Preventative liberations, where there isn't an threat to the region, are legal. Ard said that a "Liberate The Security Council resolution would be clunky, but not that it'd be illegal.

UNDERSTANDING the World Assembly Security Council to be an organization that is run by all of the World Assembly members as a whole, and not by a small group of individuals with the same general ideology;

Unless you actually go and claim that the region The Security Council is running the organisation The Security Council, this clause seems irrelevant.

Where does it say that? This isn't saying anything about the resolution or the region, this is just an informative statement...

And just informing people that a "small group of individuals with the same general ideology" are not actually running the WASC is an argument to repeal the liberation, how?

Does this clause say anything about a "community?" Do Topid and Uni not also stand against the usage of C&Cs simply for badges?

And I've already explained that the resolution wasn't about getting a badge. You really should know the reason for it - to get support for/RP the GA-SC split.

Don't try and tell me that its name and liberation weren't aiding factors - it's got the exact same name as a body of the WA, and was put on display for the entire world to see for over 3 days when its liberation was voted on. Don't try and tell me that this didn't acquire it some recognition.

Ah, right. The name has obviously helped get people there... but why on earth does the region using the name constitute an argument to repeal the liberation?

So now I can't wrap up with a conclusion that involves a summary of the ideas expressed? If I just cut it off, that'd harly be good writing style, now would it?

It would be, actually. Thats how most resolutions end. Resolutions aren't essays, you don't need to summarise them.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
A mean old man wrote:Naw, I'd then remind you that it's the norm for co-authors to be announced at the end of the proposal.

Missing the point. Announcing yourself at the start of a resolution isn't good form. A resolution is action taken by the World Assembly/The Secucity Council, not by you. Putting your name at the start suggests its you doing it.

Well pardon me for the copy/paste error - perhaps you'd also like to take note that this title I placed in the description ends, then is followed by "The World Assembly,"

This takes debating to a new low, Sedgistan. I'm disappointed in what you're trying to say here. Let's be good sports.

As was "shitty proposal writing" to symbolize what it was named for, but that was deemed illegal as it was purely symbolic. As far as I can tell, this resolution's no better, however it's a liberation rather than a C/C.

If this hadn't been passed already and was proposed nowadays, it would be deemed illegal by the moderators.

I don't believe so. Condemn Shitty Proposal Writing was deemed illegal because there was no evidence that the region was for shitty proposals - you'd put the WFE against it.

Which also means it was purely symbolic, as the region itself was a representation of shitty proposal writing. Just as "The Security Council" is a representation of The Security Council...

Not sure I know what you mean - of course it has overcome the challenge of not being used - in fact, I think it's becoming rather overused. I don't know what other interpretation could be made here.

Its not underused, but there are still many individuals who vote against SC resolutions because they get in the way of GA ones - which suggests the SC is still in the shadow of the GA.

It's not in the shadow of "the GA" - it's being discarded as being useless by a few diehard GA members. I think the same has happened as far on the SC side of the WA, has it not...?

Of course, that's what some people may be deceived into thinking when they see a region named "The Security Council" and a WA body called "The Security Council." I'm just making it clear to them that there's a difference, and that the region isn't, technically, any more linked to the official WA than every other region there is in the world. Did you have a different opinion?

Of course its not officially linked, but people aren't stupid. They know that the region United Nations wasn't the old NSUN, and they know that the region The Security Council isn't the body. Also, I don't see how making this clear is an argument to repeal the liberation.

Sometimes statements must be made that help support the arguments made later. It's simply writing style. Maybe you're happy with a writing style that is the creation of a dull list of accusations that finishes off with no conclusion, but I most certainly am not.

Though all following passed liberations are made for security purposes, and the description of the liberation category itself is "A resolution to strike down Delegate-imposed barriers to free entry in a region." There were no delegate-imposed barriers in the case of this region, and there was and is no threat to the region's security...

Preventative liberations, where there isn't an threat to the region, are legal. Ard said that a "Liberate The Security Council resolution would be clunky, but not that it'd be illegal.

They may be "legal" - I never made any claim saying they were illegal. I also don't know why this liberation has to be tagged as "preventative" - Topid's active and we all know it.

UNDERSTANDING the World Assembly Security Council to be an organization that is run by all of the World Assembly members as a whole, and not by a small group of individuals with the same general ideology;

Unless you actually go and claim that the region The Security Council is running the organisation The Security Council, this clause seems irrelevant.

Where does it say that? This isn't saying anything about the resolution or the region, this is just an informative statement...

And just informing people that a "small group of individuals with the same general ideology" are not actually running the WASC is an argument to repeal the liberation, how?

The region is run by a small group of individuals with the same general ideology - The WA is not. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

Does this clause say anything about a "community?" Do Topid and Uni not also stand against the usage of C&Cs simply for badges?

And I've already explained that the resolution wasn't about getting a badge. You really should know the reason for it - to get support for/RP the GA-SC split.

Even if this wasn't the intent, the placement of a badge on this region is the only thing this resolution is doing now, and you should be against that, shouldn't you?

Gee, that "GA-SC split" thing wasn't stated anywhere in the resolution...

Don't try and tell me that its name and liberation weren't aiding factors - it's got the exact same name as a body of the WA, and was put on display for the entire world to see for over 3 days when its liberation was voted on. Don't try and tell me that this didn't acquire it some recognition.

Ah, right. The name has obviously helped get people there... but why on earth does the region using the name constitute an argument to repeal the liberation?

I've said it before and I've said it again - the resolution purely symbolic and doesn't serve the purpose it was made for any more. Also, the region's got that name and isn't an accurate representation of the actual WASC. Must I repeat myself?

Nowhere in the text of the resolution does it say this is a "preventative" measure, either.

So now I can't wrap up with a conclusion that involves a summary of the ideas expressed? If I just cut it off, that'd harly be good writing style, now would it?

It would be, actually. Thats how most resolutions end. Resolutions aren't essays, you don't need to summarise them.

If I don't like to write in the same way that you do, I'm not going to do so. I like my writing style and I've heard that others like it, and I'd like to keep using it. Do you not like to see some variety every once in a while? I definitely do.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 pm

A mean old man wrote:This takes debating to a new low, Sedgistan. I'm disappointed in what you're trying to say here. Let's be good sports.

Lolwut? He's helping you edit the proposal. Suggesting you move this to the end.
AKA Weed

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Topid wrote:
A mean old man wrote:This takes debating to a new low, Sedgistan. I'm disappointed in what you're trying to say here. Let's be good sports.

Lolwut? He's helping you edit the proposal. Suggesting you move this to the end.

No, he's accusing me of "advertising myself."

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

A mean old man wrote:
EDIT: And because that was a pretty sly move to warn me my puppet had CTE in order to get that quote. :p

I'm a smart guy, I guess.

Uhuh. Yes, this has been all very intelligent. You're a great person, a Mean Old Man, thank you for being one of the only people who saw the light through all of this altruistic murkiness of 'helping people', and triumphed over evil no matter the consequences. I hope someday you get commended for it. You deserve it.

EDIT: Sig this, if you like. AMOM.
Last edited by Unibot on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Naw, but if you want an autograph, they're free. ;)
Last edited by A mean old man on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:42 pm

A mean old man wrote:Naw, but if you want an autograph, they're free. ;)

Really! Really!!!

Me! Me! Me! I want one!

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 pm

With love,
A mean old man

Just getting rid of that picture... don't want to be accused of any more picspam, now.
Last edited by A mean old man on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 pm

A mean old man wrote:With love,

I feel blessed. I shall name my first born child after you.
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Well, as your last couple posts are simply the usage of sarcasm to make an attack on my personal being instead of the arguments made in the proposal itself, I take it you've nothing to say against the writing and meaning of the proposal presented.
Last edited by A mean old man on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 pm

A mean old man wrote:Well, as your last couple posts are simply the usage of sarcasm to make an attack on my personal being instead of the arguments made in the proposal itself,

Sarcasm?

I dunno, seeing as how this is just a repeal, and it isn't so time-sensative, or based in secret intel, as say a liberation -- maybe you should have consulted the public forum before submitting? But hey! We're all hypocrites atleast once in our lives! :clap:
Last edited by Unibot on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Ah, knew you'd bring that up.

Well, I certainly didn't draft it in secret in a private forum with my pals.

But let's not get into that again... :lol2:

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Unibot wrote:
A mean old man wrote:Well, as your last couple posts are simply the usage of sarcasm to make an attack on my personal being instead of the arguments made in the proposal itself,

Sarcasm?

I dunno, seeing as how this is just a repeal, and it isn't so time-sensative, or based in secret intel, as say a liberation -- maybe you should have consulted the public forum before submitting? But hey! We're all hypocrites atleast once in our lives! :clap:

:roll: you mean unlike you did?

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 pm

A mean old man wrote:Ah, knew you'd bring that up.

What pals? Someone besides me is naive enough to think you won't backstab them in a heartbeat to climb the political ladder!?

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Is that implying that I have no "pals?"

Kalibarr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Unibot wrote:
A mean old man wrote:Ah, knew you'd bring that up.

What pals? Someone besides me is naive enough to think you won't backstab them in a heartbeat to climb the political ladder!?

FYI I trust AMOM.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 pm

A mean old man wrote:Is that implying that I have no "pals?"

I'm questioning it...

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 pm

So you're basically wondering whether I have friends or not.

How very civil of you.
Last edited by A mean old man on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Keep it clean, gents, keep it clean! No gouging, no clinching, no hitting below the belt.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Kalibarr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 am

Ardchoille wrote:Keep it clean, gents, keep it clean! No gouging, no clinching, no hitting below the belt.

*Hits Unibot Below the belt* :D
Last edited by Kalibarr on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 am

I can just taste the international goodwill this proposal and its discussion will create.
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 am

A mean old man wrote:Is that implying that I have no "pals?"

I'll be your pal, but only if this passes. :p

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 am

*Slaps, Smacks & Pokes Uni, AMOM and Kali*

C'mon guys. Can't we all just...get along? All this talk about backstabbing and lying and AMOM not having any friends is making my popcorn unenjoyable. THE POPCORN DOESN'T TASTE AS GOOD AS IT DID AND IT'S YOU GUYS FAULT! >:(
OOC puppet of Yelda

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 am

A mean old man wrote:So you're basically wondering whether I have friends or not.

I'm your friend but that book of matches and can of kerosene you're hiding behind your back is making me nervous.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:18 am

Kalibarr wrote:
Ardchoille wrote:Keep it clean, gents, keep it clean! No gouging, no clinching, no hitting below the belt.

*Hits Unibot Below the belt* :D

*has Kalibarr hustled away by bouncers*

ANNNNNDDDDDD NOWWWW IIIINNNTROOO-DUUUUCING the Slugfest of the Century!Brought to you by Max Barry Enterprises, and let me remind you, folks, five percent of tonight's takings are going to the mods need money just as much as any Widows and Orphans Fund! In the red corner, "Rocky" Unibot!!! -- a lovely little fighter but the devil when he's ... oh, sorry, wrong song .... and in the blue, A Mean Old Mauler!!! -- the Kid from far-off Corporate!

Right, seconds out of the ring ... touch gloves ... remember what I said before lads, keep it clean* ... aaaannnnnddddd ....

DING!

... Come out fighting!

*feel free to disregard all of the post but this bit
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives