NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Nuclear Security Convention"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[PASSED] Repeal "Nuclear Security Convention"

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:42 pm

Repeal "Nuclear Security Convention"
Category: Repeal

Remembering the use of this resolution in an attempt to repeal 10 GA, the Nuclear Arms Possession Act, which allows World Assembly nations to have nuclear weapons, and therefore considering this a threat to the stability of the international system itself and

Believing that the threat of 'uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology, particularly by non-members who are not bound by the conventions of international law' mentioned in the Nuclear Security Convention, hereafter referred to as the Convention, is an over-exaggerated menace which cannot be affected by World Assembly legislation anyway,

This august World Assembly:

  1. Objects to the clause that member states are to '[prevent] the transfer of nuclear technology, design specifications, and materials if there is reason to suspect that they will be weaponised', as:

    1. this prevents the transfer of nuclear propulsion technologies in warships, for the nuclear technology is weaponised by putting it inside that ship and by preventing that transfer, degrades the ability of nations to assist in collective defence,

    2. this also prevents the transfer of nuclear materials and specifications inside countries, as there is no limiting statement on to where such transfers are permitted and by preventing that transfer, prohibits nations from moving nuclear materials within their own sovereign borders,

    3. this also prevents the transfer of nuclear technologies used for energy production, for suspicion is always cast on nuclear fission due to the easy reapplication of peaceful technologies to weapon production (the only differences being that of reaction control and purity) and by preventing that transfer, prevents cheap and available electricity from being more readily available, and

    4. this also prevents the transfer of specifications of any kind as the criteria for suspicion are not as of yet settled and by preventing that transfer, increases the likelihood of nuclear disasters by depriving scientists of important knowledge and safety procedures;
  2. Questions the enforceability of the clause referenced in (1), no matter how sophisticated and Latinate this appears in comparison to a previous legislation's reference of 'wrong hands';

  3. Objects, with shoe-banging, to the enforceability of a requirement that 'all measures necessary and practical' be taken, as the extent to these measures is as of yet undefined in their extent;

  4. Disapproves of the failure of the World Assembly to protect indigenous and foreign nuclear technologies and materials and thereby leaving open a path to ban nuclear weapons by prohibiting their supply chain; this Assembly hereby;

  5. Repeals the Nuclear Security Convention.

Repeal "Nuclear Security Convention"
Category: Repeal



Acknowledging the importance of non-proliferation and deterrence for peace,

Recalling this Assembly's landmark stance on nuclear technologies in its 10th Resolution, the 'Nuclear Arms Protection Act' and its long venerable survival from its passage to the modern day, and,

Believing that the threat of 'uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology, particularly by non-members who are not bound by the conventions of international law' mentioned in the Nuclear Security Convention, hereafter referred to as the Convention, is an over-exaggerated menace which cannot be affected by World Assembly legislation anyway,

This august World Assembly;

  1. Objects, with shoe banging, to the clause that member states are to '[prevent] the transfer of nuclear technology, design specifications, and materials if there is reason to suspect that they will be weaponised', as:

    1. this prevents the transfer of nuclear technologies used for energy production, for suspicion is always cast on nuclear fission due to the easy reapplication of peaceful technologies to weapon production (the only differences being that of reaction control and purity);

    2. this also prevents the transfer of specifications of any kind, as the criteria for suspicion and by whom those criteria are determined, are not as of yet settled;

    3. this also prevents the transfer of nuclear materials and specifications inside nations, as there is no limiting statement on to where such transfers are permitted;
  2. Objects to the enforceability of the clause referenced in (1), no matter how sophisticated and Latinate this appears in comparison to a previous legislation's reference of 'wrong hands';

  3. Objects to the enforceability of a requirement that 'all measures necessary and practical' be taken, as the extent to these measures is as of yet undefined in their extent;

  4. Disapproves of the failure of the Convention to protect indigenous and foreign nuclear technologies and materials in the spirit of previous legislation and thereby leaving open a path to ban nuclear weapons by prohibiting their supply chain; this Assembly hereby;

  5. Repeals the Nuclear Security Convention.

Edits for this thread are unknown, due to my lack of keeping track of them back when I actually started proposing legislation here. Anyway, I intend to assist Knootoss in most of the 2015 targets. Edited 18 Nov 2015 00:01 EST to reflect that it is now At Vote.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Reason: Post-vote edit

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13813
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:18 pm

OOC: I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. (If it's not, I'll try to get back to it with better comments sometime after tomorrow.)

IC: Trying to repeal the NAPA-gutter? Opposed just for that.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5615
Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Capitalizt

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:20 pm

"NAPA-gutter"?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

User avatar
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1158
Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean Pierre Trudeau » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:"NAPA-gutter"?


One of them anyway.
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Chancellor, United Federation of Canada,
Premier, The North American Union
World Assembly Resolution Author

Socialism is NOT Communism.

User avatar
Tirthika
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tirthika » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm

I agree.

Nuclear warheads; our nation salivates over them. They are our one and only God, all hail them. :bow:
Last edited by Tirthika on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pacay
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Feb 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Tirthika wrote:I agree.

Nuclear warheads; our nation salivates over them. They are our one and only God, all hail them. :bow:


Enough, Tirthika! Your ways are not acceptable. If you don't stop fuelling your lust, I'm going to make fissures in the ground with my presence alone. :evil:

User avatar
Tirthika
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tirthika » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Pacay wrote:
Tirthika wrote:I agree.

Nuclear warheads; our nation salivates over them. They are our one and only God, all hail them. :bow:


Enough, Tirthika! Your ways are not acceptable. If you don't stop fuelling your lust, I'm going to make fissures in the ground with my presence alone. :evil:


F-f-forgive me, Pacay-dono... I-I-I am but your loyal servant, please do as you please with me. :shock:

User avatar
Grays Harbor
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18121
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Yeah, if you could stop the puppet-wank, that'd be great.
I am The Grumpy Old Man. A True Curmudgeon.

And, oh yeah, ... You kids get off my lawn. Seriously. Off. Now.

User avatar
Tirthika
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tirthika » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Yeah, if you could stop the puppet-wank, that'd be great.


What wank? All that's been said is that two nations are sharing an active relationship.

Jeez, get your facts right "Grays Harbor".

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13813
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Tirthika wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:Yeah, if you could stop the puppet-wank, that'd be great.

What wank? All that's been said is that two nations are sharing an active relationship.

Jeez, get your facts right "Grays Harbor".

OOC: It's bad form to use two of your nations to RP with on the same thread - if you do it a lot, you may get a reminder from the mods. It's fine to have interacting nations, I do too, but I don't as a general rule post with them on the same debate thread.

If you insist on GA RP between your nations, the Strangers' Bar is there just for that. Though I'd suggest moderation even then. (Pages of just your posts = not a good idea.)

Also, your "Jeez" line was entirely unnecessary, especially as GH does have his facts right.

EDIT:
Tirthika wrote:My facts are right, yours are wrong.

I'm keeping this, in case I need a not-so-witty comeback in a future debate. :P
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Tirthika
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Feb 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tirthika » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Araraukar wrote:especially as GH does have his facts right.


Wrong.

His facts are wrong and you're just as wrong too. Wank suggests I'm blowing my own trumpet, which I'm not; that's just conjecture on yours and his part. My facts are right, yours are wrong.

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:42 pm

OOC: So, how about we discuss the proposal?

IC follows:

"We like the snarky tone of the repeal and approve of its target. That said, we are entirely opposed to the implicit endorsement of nuclear proliferation in (1), and as such will oppose this particular argument. Is there a way you would consider concentrating on the flaws of the document without making an argument that the WA should legalise nuclear proliferation?"

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 23923
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Tirthika wrote:
Araraukar wrote:especially as GH does have his facts right.

Wrong.

His facts are wrong and you're just as wrong too. Wank suggests I'm blowing my own trumpet, which I'm not; that's just conjecture on yours and his part. My facts are right, yours are wrong.

How about if I confirm the conjecture and tell you to "knock it off" then? Wank in this context means debating yourself with your own puppets, which is exactly what you were doing.

Stop now or face official warnings and/or bans. Enough.

Frisbeeteria, Senior Game Moderator

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:38 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"We like the snarky tone of the repeal and approve of its target. That said, we are entirely opposed to the implicit endorsement of nuclear proliferation in (1), and as such will oppose this particular argument. Is there a way you would consider concentrating on the flaws of the document without making an argument that the WA should legalise nuclear proliferation?"

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

I've added a section on other issues with that clause, but what issues do you see?

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I've added a section on other issues with that clause, but what issues do you see?

"The Dark Star Republic has consistently opposed attempts at promoting nuclear proliferation. We believe this is an issue where binding WA law is warranted. Your argument seems to amount to the Knootian position that nuclear proliferation is all fine and dandy when you're giving the bomb to people you like. Our position is that no state should ever have nuclear weapons technology shared with them, no matter how "faithful" or "fraternal" they may be."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:59 pm

So, you're saying to drop all mention of anything which could possibly approach nuclear proliferation.

[EDIT] DONE. Draft updated.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm

"We'd support this now."

~ Ms. Chinmusic

OOC: Also, could you add either a link, or a spoilered text of the original resolution, to the OP? It makes it easier to refer back to.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:42 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: Also, could you add either a link, or a spoilered text of the original resolution, to the OP? It makes it easier to refer back to.

You mean to old Chestie's resolution or the original draft of this one?

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5615
Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Capitalizt

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:39 am

As far as this resolution and others are being unduly applied so as to "gut" NAPA and its protection of member states' nuclear arsenals, we will support this repeal as well -- so long as Resolution #308 is next on the chopping block.

~ Capt. Jenny Chiang, National Security Adviser
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

User avatar
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1158
Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean Pierre Trudeau » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:As far as this resolution and others are being unduly applied so as to "gut" NAPA and its protection of member states' nuclear arsenals, we will support this repeal as well -- so long as Resolution #308 is next on the chopping block.

~ Capt. Jenny Chiang, National Security Adviser


As I recall you supported both of them originally. Now you are calling for their repeal? Tad hypocritical?
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Chancellor, United Federation of Canada,
Premier, The North American Union
World Assembly Resolution Author

Socialism is NOT Communism.

User avatar
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1158
Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean Pierre Trudeau » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm

I see you have went ahead with this?

this prevents the transfer of nuclear technologies used for energy production, for suspicion is always cast on nuclear fission due to the easy reapplication of peaceful technologies to weapon production (the only differences being that of reaction control and purity);


Wow talk about a disingenuous statement. You do realize the law does, what the law says right? It is up to nations trading the nuclear materials and technologies to investigate that probability, and prevent the transfer to keep them in compliance.

this prevents the transfer of nuclear technologies used for energy production, for suspicion is always cast on nuclear fission due to the easy reapplication of peaceful technologies to weapon production (the only differences being that of reaction control and purity);


See above.

Objects to the enforceability of a requirement that 'all measures necessary and practical' be taken, as the extent to these measures is as of yet undefined in their scope;


Their scope is pretty clearly defined within the resolution. Perhaps you have misplaced your glasses somewhere?

All in all a pretty poor attempt if you ask me? This is nothing more than a political move on your part to try and discredit Prime Minister Pearson. Also, I do have a replacement written for this, as I knew once again someone would go after it. I will just need to get into contact with Abacathea if this is successful.

Image
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Chancellor, United Federation of Canada,
Premier, The North American Union
World Assembly Resolution Author

Socialism is NOT Communism.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Jean Pierre Trudeau wrote:Wow talk about a disingenuous statement. You do realize the law does, what the law says right? It is up to nations trading the nuclear materials and technologies to investigate that probability, and prevent the transfer to keep them in compliance.

All in all a pretty poor attempt if you ask me? This is nothing more than a political move on your part to try and discredit Prime Minister Pearson. Also, I do have a replacement written for this, as I knew once again someone would go after it. I will just need to get into contact with Abacathea if this is successful.

Pearson: Your Excellency, where does it state that suspicion is to be defined by the 'nations trading'? What is a sufficient level of suspicion?

Pulls out another sheet of paper, looks at it.

Parsons: This delegation, Ambassador, is frankly insulted by your attempt to discredit our aims in removing a piece of legislation which we find dangerous to world political stability from the rule-books. In fact, contrary to your allegation, there has long been a reference to PM Pearson's Nuclear Arms Protocol, which we find as an acceptable piece of legislation.

Parsons: Perhaps your government's fore-knowledge of a need for a replacement text is due to its own propensity to interpret resolutions narrowly when under debate, then expanding them significantly after their passage?

Image

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1158
Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean Pierre Trudeau » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:55 pm

OOC: Why would you edit your draft after submitting it? All it is going to do is confuse people.
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Chancellor, United Federation of Canada,
Premier, The North American Union
World Assembly Resolution Author

Socialism is NOT Communism.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:10 pm

OOC: Because of the typo you so helpfully reported. I GHQ-ed for its removal.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1158
Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean Pierre Trudeau » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Disapproves of the failure of the Convention to prevent the legal protection of indigenous and foreign nuclear technologies and materials, in the spirit of previous legislation and thus, leaving open a path to ban nuclear weapons by prohibiting their supply chain; this Assembly hereby;


viewtopic.php?f=9&t=332304
Jean Pierre Trudeau
Chancellor, United Federation of Canada,
Premier, The North American Union
World Assembly Resolution Author

Socialism is NOT Communism.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads