NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal GAR#183 "Defense of Self and Others"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Clover spoke up "My nation strongly believes in self-defense rights, such as castle doctrine and stand-your-ground. Our mandatory weapons ownership and requirements to be armed in public at all times, as well as the sales of the "BFG-69 Organ Grinder", attest to this. We welcome the relief on the judiciary that this repeal will give, and as such, have voted FOR."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:50 am

Bananaistan wrote:Regretting that resolution #183 relies on the institution of the "judiciary" despite there being no international law requiring the independence of the judiciary, the proper functioning of the judiciary, or even the existence of the judiciary,

Observing that under the terms of the second operative clause a person cannot be prosecuted for using reasonable force yet under the terms of the third operative clause the decision as to whether reasonable force was used or not is reserved to the judiciary,

Believing that this presents a significant barrier to a member state’s prosecution services from initiating prosecutions where the use of reasonable force may be used as a defence in legal proceedings, as the prosecution services themselves are unable to make a determination as to what constitutes reasonable force,

Noting that this is a serious contradiction within resolution #183: an individual cannot be prosecuted for the use of reasonable force yet the determination of whether that individual used reasonable force is a decision reserved to the judiciary,
I disagree this is a reason for a repeal.

The existing legislation grants member states a "margin of discretion" to determine what constitutes reasonable force. In most nations, this would be established through precedent via the legal system. The prosecution shouldn't be determined by themselves to make a determination of what constitues reasonable force - thats a determination for the whole legal system.

It's on this basis I'd argue this is not a strong argument for a repeal, and thus motivates my government to vote against.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Kalmarsund
Civilian

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalmarsund » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:56 am

I'm with Hirota.

Res #183 needs clarifying, but as it stands it could equally be read as requiring prosecution, because only the Judiciary has the authority to decide that the use of force was reasonable.

I'd rather we amended the resolution to state clearly whether or not there should be a presumption of prosecution, and if the decision is to be made by the judiciary, that the prosecution should be referring the matter to them, rather than just dismissing it.

Perhaps we should resolve that the prosecution must make an application to the court for a ruling based on prima facie evidence, as to whether a prosecution should be brought?

Konig Phil of Kalmersund

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:01 am

Kalmarsund wrote:I'd rather we amended the resolution

Not gonna happen.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 am

I am glad this passed. Thanks to everyone who voted in favour.

While I realise that I take a very much literalist "plain meaning rule" type of interpretation that people may not agree with, I prefer legislation with as few ambiguities as possible. Within that context I took the prohibition of prosecution to mean exactly that. In this case enough people agreed.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Previous

Return to WA Archives