NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Disabled Voters Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:34 pm

The Empire of Ebola wrote:
Falcania wrote:
If the ambassador requires a demonstration of how maiming is not necessarily a consensual act, a demonstration is likely to be arranged.

Perhaps YOU need a demonstration as to how a nuclear explosion can decimate a city?

Myself, Ser Petear Wilhelmsin? I've witnessed my fair share of WMD deployments. As a rule of thumb, if only one in ten inhabitants of a city is killed, somebody hasn't done their job correctly.

Still, I'm sure such ostentatious willy-waving probably makes the delegate of Ebola feel better about themselves, although it does not necessarily help discussion.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Bananaistan wrote:Section 5 seems to assume that all nations have a particular style of justice system.

The only assumption is that every nation has a judicial system, an assumption made by many passed resolutions.

Bananaistan wrote:And is section 6 an attempt at the opposite of a blocking clause? One would assume that if this passed, my blocker would then be illegal?

No, Section 6 only clarifies the effects of this proposal if it is enacted.

Bananaistan wrote:I'd also question if the strength is appropriate.

A mild proposal would suggest that nations provide accommodations for disabled individuals.

A strong proposal would cover more people, not just a small minority of national populations.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Falcania wrote:
Perhaps YOU need a demonstration as to how a nuclear explosion can decimate a city?

Myself, Ser Petear Wilhelmsin? I've witnessed my fair share of WMD deployments. As a rule of thumb, if only one in ten inhabitants of a city is killed, somebody hasn't done their job correctly.

Still, I'm sure such ostentatious willy-waving probably makes the delegate of Ebola feel better about themselves, although it does not necessarily help discussion.

"The Elbow Empire delegation enjoys the public waving bit. I wouldn't pay them much mind, ambassador. They're entirely harmless."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Empire of Ebola
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Ebola » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Falcania wrote:

"The Elbow Empire delegation enjoys the public waving bit. I wouldn't pay them much mind, ambassador. They're entirely harmless."

How harmless will it be when a few of your cities go up in a nuclear apocalypse of fire and death?
The screams of your dying citizens would be like an Opera to us.
The Empire of Ebola
causing misery where ever we go

"deal with it"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm

The Empire of Ebola wrote:How harmless will it be when a few of your cities go up in a nuclear apocalypse of fire and death?

"Please put it away, ambassador, you'll go blind. The C.D.S.P. doesn't even consider the Elbow Empire a threat, so their deranged ambassador isn't likely to be one considered one.

"As the Dark Star Republic's sentiments are heard, so do I echo them. Autocracies ought not have a say in how democracies are run."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:01 pm

How harmless will it be when a few of your cities go up in a nuclear apocalypse of fire and death?

We normally call that "Tuesday"
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

The Empire of Ebola
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Ebola » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 pm

The Empire of Ebola wrote:How harmless will it be when a few of your cities go up in a nuclear apocalypse of fire and death?

"Please put it away, ambassador, you'll go blind. The C.D.S.P. doesn't even consider the Elbow Empire a threat, so their deranged ambassador isn't likely to be one considered one.

"As the Dark Star Republic's sentiments are heard, so do I echo them. Autocracies ought not have a say in how democracies are run."

We have just publically executed the few citizens of your nation who were in the Empire for business.

Have a nice day.
The Empire of Ebola
causing misery where ever we go

"deal with it"

Nonesica
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nonesica » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:26 pm

or any other physical or mental impairment that does not diminish general intelligence

Really? The proposal doesn't cover a person with a disorder such as Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome)? Just because it affects intelligence, as the majority of disorders do, doesn't mean the people with the disorders are not humans who do not deserve a voice.

I support your proposal in general, but this is a very serious problem I see in it that may force me to vote against it.

Wencee
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Wencee » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:58 am

Myself, and my (very tiny) Region; support this proposal, and Furthermore indeed to vote in support of it.
Myers-Briggs Type: INFJ
libertà e onore fino alla morte

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:34 am

Nonesica wrote:
or any other physical or mental impairment that does not diminish general intelligence

Really? The proposal doesn't cover a person with a disorder such as Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome)? Just because it affects intelligence, as the majority of disorders do, doesn't mean the people with the disorders are not humans who do not deserve a voice.

I support your proposal in general, but this is a very serious problem I see in it that may force me to vote against it.

I don't think the General Assembly should force member states to extend voting rights to individuals whose mental ages are equivalent to those of prepubescent children. Of course, your nation would remain free to allow such citizens to vote on its own.

OOC: Voting restrictions on low-IQ individuals are not uncommon. In the United States, for example, there are intellectual disability restrictions in 38 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

http://www.disabilityrightsca.org/issues/voter_qualification_chart-2008-06.pdf
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:05 am

Oh goodie, did the Ambassador just seriously use the term "mental age"? A third reason to vote against this, we'd say.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:12 am

Nonesica wrote:

"So, by that logic, infants and toddlers receive a vote as well? Some mental impairments reduce the functioning intelligence capabilities to this level, despite biological age. Where I can see the argument regarding physical disabilities that do not affect intelligence, mental disabilities that do are another story."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:17 am

Normlpeople wrote:infants and toddlers receive a vote

YES
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:42 am

has someone released the Elbonians again?
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 am

We have just publically executed the few citizens of your nation who were in the Empire for business.

Have a nice day.

"That would be none, according to every travel manifest a brief request at the Customs Authority yielded, since we don't allow business with unstable regimes. Perhaps your law enforcement needs retraining if they cannot identify certain citizens? I don't envy you that particular diplomatic mess."

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 am

Bananaistan wrote:We are well aware of this and therefore we oppose all proposals dealing with elections. We do not appreciate all the undemocratic governments of the WA having a say in how we run our democracy.

A view that we also share.
Furthermore, this proposal makes no allowance for those nations with confederal or federal government systems within which jurisdiction over voting rights is held by a "lower" tier of government rather than at the 'national' level: If it were to be passed then those nations' governments would be faced with a choice between amending their constitutions to transfer that authority to the national government (Not necessarily easy, especially in the short time-span that would be available between submission and passage...), violating their constitutions, or exclusion from the WA. For example, this would be yet another barrier in the way of Bears Armed proper's potential return to membership.
(OOC: and for a RL example, it would also be a problem for the USA if they were subject to WA law..).
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Bears Armed Mission wrote:Furthermore, this proposal makes no allowance for those nations with confederal or federal government systems within which jurisdiction over voting rights is held by a "lower" tier of government rather than at the 'national' level.

:eyebrow: You should reread the proposal . . .

Every time I refer to "member states," I refer to "political subdivisions" in the same breath, thus accounting for non-unitary states, where voting rights and regulations might be determined on the subnational level.

Bears Armed Mission wrote:(OOC: and for a RL example, it would also be a problem for the USA if they were subject to WA law.)

As I say above, this proposal would not do this; but, even if it did, it would not present a problem for the United States.

U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 4, Clause 1:
"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators."

U.S. Constitution, Amendment XIV, Sections 1 and 5:
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

"The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article."

If such an international law were enacted, Congress would have the constitutional power to implement it; and the courts likely would say that the WA law had created a new privilege or liberty for U.S. citizens, one to be incorporated into U.S. law.

Not to mention the fact that federal civil rights laws already require states and localities to provide reasonable accommodations for disabled voters: see the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act of 1984, the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, and the Help America Vote Act of 2002.

Also, see the Supreme Court decision Missouri v. Holland, 252 U.S. 416 (1920).

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:43 pm

OOC: Could you at least use "OOC" tags if you are going to use real life precedent to back up your proposal? The United States constitution does not exist in NationStates, and has absolutely no bearing here. This is precisely why I tend to vote against your proposals. You make no attempt to back them up IC.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:OOC: Could you at least use "OOC" tags if you are going to use real life precedent to back up your proposal?

The OOC tag is located in the post by Bears Armed that I quote. It precedes all of my OOC content.

Chester Pearson wrote:This is precisely why I tend to vote against your proposals. You make no attempt to back them up IC.

I haven't really made any attempt to back up this proposal IC or OOC in this thread. (We're only on page two right now.)

I would hope that disabled voting rights is self-explanatory. I believe the proposal itself provides all of the "backing up" needed for this fairly simple issue: Should there be accommodations for the disabled to vote or not?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Christian Democrats wrote: Should there be accommodations for the disabled to vote or not?

Except the resolution in itself is pointless. It won't apply to nations that don't permit voting, and do you truly believe any nation that embraces a truly representative democracy, and not a sham democracy is going to discriminate against disabled persons when it comes to voting? Voting in itself is not an international issue, and neither is this. This is nothing more than a "feel good" resolution, and is a waste of space.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:This is precisely why I tend to vote against your proposals. You make no attempt to back them up IC.

I haven't really made any attempt to back up this proposal IC or OOC in this thread. (We're only on page two right now.)

I think the point is more that for those of us who want to play the game, your refusal to treat it as anything more than a forum for RL political arguments creates a bit of a disconnect. Sad little roleplay dorks we may be to you, but it's not like the game doesn't make accommodations for those purely interested in RL debate.
Christian Democrats wrote:I would hope that disabled voting rights is self-explanatory. I believe the proposal itself provides all of the "backing up" needed for this fairly simple issue: Should there be accommodations for the disabled to vote or not?

Why should non-democratic states be allowed to have any say in the electoral processes of democratic states?

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:06 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:Why should non-democratic states be allowed to have any say in the electoral processes of democratic states?

Obviously because God :rofl: said so....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Sorry, that was unnecessary, n/m.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:You know, voting against someone's resolutions because they're a Catholic doesn't really strengthen your claim to be the protector of IC conduct. Though I do accept that is exactly why his resolutions get voted down.

I don't vote them down because he is Catholic. I vote them down because he tends to act like he knows everything....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:You know, voting against someone's resolutions because they're a Catholic doesn't really strengthen your claim to be the protector of IC conduct. Though I do accept that is exactly why his resolutions get voted down.

I don't vote them down because he is Catholic. I vote them down because he tends to act like he knows everything....

So, because he's Catholic, then? :P
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives