NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Non-interference in Elections

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

[DEFEATED] Non-interference in Elections

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Draft 4
Category: Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Mild

The General Assembly

Acknowledging the great strides made by this body and individual member states in furthering democracy,

Noting that it is not within the power of this body to extend the right to vote to citizens of all member states,

However concerned that any further WA legislation regarding elections will discourage further democratisation,

Also noting the indivisible right of sovereign nations to choose their own form of government,

And wishing to establish a method by which international election monitors can review and report upon a member state’s elections to further encourage dialogue and commerce between member states,

Hereby

1) Mandates that no member state may directly interfere with another member state’s elections unless requested by the subject member state,

2) Expands the role of the Organization for Electoral Assistance to:

(a) Establish a methodology on certification of elections and electoral systems based upon how free, fair, transparent and regular the elections and electoral systems are,

(b) Upon the request of the government of a member state, to monitor that member state’s election(s) and electoral process, and to certify the election(s) and electoral system pursuant to the criteria above,

3) Reserves to individual member states, within the requirements of existing international law, the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines regarding elections held within member states.

The General Assembly

Noting that it is not within the power of this body to extend the right to vote to citizens of all member states,

Acknowledging the great strides made by this body and individual member states in furthering democracy,

However concerned that any further WA legislation regarding elections will disencourage further democratisation,

Also noting the indivisible right of sovereign nations to choose their own form of government,

And wishing to establish a method by which international election monitors can review and report upon a member state’s elections to further encourage dialogue and commerce between member states,

Hereby

1) Expands the role of the Organization for Electoral Assistance to:

(a) Establish a methodology on certification of elections and electoral systems based upon how free, fair, transparent and regular the elections and electoral systems are,

(b) Upon the request of the government of a member state, to monitor that member state’s election(s) and electoral process, and to certify the election(s) and electoral system pursuant to the criteria above,

2) Reserves to individual member states, within the requirements of existing international law, the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines regarding elections held within member states,

3) Urges all member states to hold free and fair elections for national and subnational government positions and legislatures within the context of their own electoral system and form of government.

The General Assembly

Regretting that it is not within the power of this body to extend the right to vote to citizens of all member states,

Wishing to establish a method by which international election monitors can review and report upon a member state’s elections,

Hereby

1) Expands the role of the Organization for Electoral Assistance (OEA) to:

2) Reserves to individual member states, within the requirements of existing international law, the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines regarding elections held within member states,

3) Urges all member nations to hold free and fair elections for national and subnational government positions and legislatures.

The General Assembly

Regretting that it is not within the power of this body to extend the right to vote to citizens of all member states,

Acknowledging the great strides made by this body and individual member nations in furthering democracy,

Wishing to establish a method by which international election monitors can review and report upon a member state’s elections,

Hereby

(b) Upon the request of a member state to monitor that member state’s election(s) and electoral process, and to certify the election(s) and electoral system pursuant to the criteria above,

2) Reserves the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines to individual member states

3) Urges all member nations to hold free and fair elections for national and subnational government positions and legislatures

OOC: Firstly, the title is up in the air. Secondly, the whole thing is IMO perilously close to being in breach of the rule about blocking a whole category and thirdly, the whole thing is perilously close to breaching the committee only rule. Though hopefully we can make something of it if there is some support for the idea.

The problem I wish to address here is the various proposals we have seen in recent times which seek to either impose restrictions on nations on how they run their own internal democracy. We have had proposals regarding the ex-cons voting, free and fair elections and the current debate regarding compulsory voting. I find it objectionable that the WA would even consider any of these things when it has not yet even established a right to vote. While I well realise that the WA cannot do so due to the ideological ban rule, within an RP mode, I would say that until we address such an issue we should not be skirting around the edges. I hope the above can be turned into an effective blocker on the issue.

Also, I really don't like the fact that any such proposal restricting or instructing democratic member nations on their own internal democracy can be voted on by the non-democratic nations, IE if you are a totalitarian dictatorship, please don't tell us how to run our elections.
Last edited by Ardchoille on Sat May 02, 2015 9:44 am, edited 12 times in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 pm

OOC: I like the idea, it makes a lot of sense. No idea if it's legal as the blocker rules are too opaque for players to comprehend. But it's not taking out a whole category: there are plenty of Furtherment of Democracy resolutions possible not to do with voting, assuming a reasonably expansive view of "political rights".

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:38 am

"This seems to create a completely optional and probably heavily bureaucratic certification process, in which nobody has to participate if he doesn't want to. I love it."
Knight of TITO

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 am

We honestly do not give two figs how other nations choose to conduct their elections.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Louisistan
Diplomat

Postby Louisistan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:30 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We honestly do not give two figs how other nations choose to conduct their elections.

And this proposal does absolutely nothing that requires even the slightest interest in other nations. If you want (for example) ro export weapons only to truly democratic nations, you can have a look at the certified elections. If not, you just ignore it.
Knight of TITO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:41 am

Firstly, does this do anything that wouldn't involve the committee?

Secondly, doesn't this clause
2) Reserves the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines to individual member states
effectively give the committee a free hand not only to re-write member nations' entire electoral processes but also to introduce elections where they currently aren't held at all?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Louisistan
Diplomat

Postby Louisistan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 am

Bears Armed wrote:Firstly, does this do anything that wouldn't involve the committee?

effectively give the committee a free hand not only to re-write member nations' entire electoral processes but also to introduce elections where they currently aren't held at all?

How? "Reserves ... to individual member states"!
Knight of TITO

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We honestly do not give two figs how other nations choose to conduct their elections.

Neither do we which is why we are proposing this. It's a blocker on account of clause 2 and we hope that clause 3 is a sufficient requirement given the mild strength to avoid breaking the committee only rule.

Bears Armed wrote:Firstly, does this do anything that wouldn't involve the committee?

No, only clause 1 refers to the committee.

Perhaps rearranging clause 2 as follows might make it clearer?

"Reserves to individual member states the power to create, implement, amend and repeal electoral laws, rules, regulations and guidelines".

A further thought I had on this clause is that the Elections and Assistance Act makes two requirements on member states: a secret ballot and published results. If we were to add "within the requirements of existing international law" to the end of clause 2, does it remain a blocker on future proposals?

And a nod to DSR and Louisistan for their support (or at least for liking it!).
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:49 am

Louisistan wrote:

How? "Reserves ... to individual member states"!

OOC; Oops! :blush:
Serves me right for posting in a hurry, but I knew that I'd have to log off very shortly and wasn't sure whether I'd be able to get back here for a few days...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:35 am

I had hoped there would be more interest in this given the opposition to those other proposals around voting rights. We'll see how it goes now, hopefully there might be more debate.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:34 am

"The blocking clause might need to be clarified a bit. It should only apply to purely 'internal' laws, as per the title. And it can't contradict Elections and Assistance Act.

"The OEA clause needs to clarify the mechanism for the 'request': who, within that member state, can actually request it? Only the head of state, or head of government, or Ambassador to the WA?

"We continue to think though that this is a much fairer and better option than some of the alternatives being proposed."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"The blocking clause might need to be clarified a bit. It should only apply to purely 'internal' laws, as per the title. And it can't contradict Elections and Assistance Act.

"The OEA clause needs to clarify the mechanism for the 'request': who, within that member state, can actually request it? Only the head of state, or head of government, or Ambassador to the WA?

"We continue to think though that this is a much fairer and better option than some of the alternatives being proposed."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

Thanks for the suggestions. I have updated clause 1(b) to state that the government makes the request. After that, it's up to member state to decide who from the government makes the request or how. As it would apply to Bananaistan, this would make it a cabinet decision to make the request. Also, updated clause 2 to reflect the "within existing international legislation" idea to avoid contradiction with the Elections and Assistance Act and added a bit about the internal elections as per Daisy's suggestion.

Hopefully a few more might comment!
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Jackonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jackonia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:56 pm

I think that it is up to individual Nations to decide how their Governments are elected. If the majority of people support Monarchy (as the majority of my population does) then surely it is wrong to impose a set of rules for a Nation to elect a a Government in a certain way contrary to how the people in the Nation want their Government to be elected. I do not want certain Election rules imposed on all Nations by the World Assembly. Therefore I am against the proposal and stand up for the right of Monarchs to rule their own countries with their own Election rules.

Bordurian Civil War (2015) - VICTORY
Cardulan War (2015) - VICTORY
Oehiton War (2015) - ONGOING
Kabarastan War (2015) -VICTORY
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
You can vote in the Jackonian General Election! Just follow the link. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=344401
Want to build Embassies? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=330096

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Jackonia wrote:I think that it is up to individual Nations to decide how their Governments are elected. If the majority of people support Monarchy (as the majority of my population does) then surely it is wrong to impose a set of rules for a Nation to elect a a Government in a certain way contrary to how the people in the Nation want their Government to be elected. I do not want certain Election rules imposed on all Nations by the World Assembly. Therefore I am against the proposal and stand up for the right of Monarchs to rule their own countries with their own Election rules.

This proposal would have absolutely no bearing on how any member states sets out their government system and it imposes no rules on anyone. It specifically states that member states decide all elections rules themselves and, as per WA rules, makes no comment on nations that don't have elections other than urging them to do so. Urging is not requiring or mandating and that clause is included only to avoid breaching the committee only rule.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Jackonia wrote:I think that it is up to individual Nations to decide how their Governments are elected. If the majority of people support Monarchy (as the majority of my population does) then surely it is wrong to impose a set of rules for a Nation to elect a a Government in a certain way contrary to how the people in the Nation want their Government to be elected. I do not want certain Election rules imposed on all Nations by the World Assembly. Therefore I am against the proposal and stand up for the right of Monarchs to rule their own countries with their own Election rules.

This proposal would have absolutely no bearing on how any member states sets out their government system and it imposes no rules on anyone. It specifically states that member states decide all elections rules themselves and, as per WA rules, makes no comment on nations that don't have elections other than urging them to do so. Urging is not requiring or mandating and that clause is included only to avoid breaching the committee only rule.

So, a resolution which tells nations they can keep on doing what they are doing already because now the WA says they can. Fascinating.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:So, a resolution which tells nations they can keep on doing what they are doing already because now the WA says they can. Fascinating.

Big brother at its finest....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:34 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:So, a resolution which tells nations they can keep on doing what they are doing already because now the WA says they can. Fascinating.

Big brother at its finest....

Isn't that exactly what all blockers do? This has no more to do with "Big brother" than NAPA.

New Mushroom Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Mushroom Kingdom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:37 pm

The New Mushroom Kingdom supports this resolution as it prevents more resolutions preaching and attempting to convert nations to Democracy.
NationStates Belongs to All, Gameplay, Roleplay, and Nonplay Alike
Every NationStates Community Member, from Raider Kings to Brony Queens Make Us Awesome.

Embassy Request Thread NS section of my wiki-thing Questions?
DEFCON 5. Never forget Z-Day. 1/4/13. 'Corporate Police State' fits just as well as the actual WA category.
There are no magic mushrooms in this nation. Seriously.

Cedoria
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:19 pm

We are not convinced of the necessity for this resolution. The Electoral Assistance Act already exists for nations wishing help to run free elections, and I don't believe that the WA should be taking a position on trying to promote a particular ideology over any others within it's member states.

If my people like a one-party socialist state, the WA needs to respect that. If I want multi-party elections, I can already ask the WA for assistance. So whilst I applaud the theory behind this resolution. I fail to see the practical necessity for it at this time.

I will not be "urged" to change my political system due to WA either. Or at least, I shouldn't be.
In real life I am a libertarian socialist

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!
Founding member of The Leftist Assembly

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:13 am

New Mushroom Kingdom wrote:The New Mushroom Kingdom supports this resolution as it prevents more resolutions preaching and attempting to convert nations to Democracy.

Sadly, those will continue even if this passes.

As to the proposal itself, I don't object to anything in it, mostly because there doesn't seem to be anything in it.
Bananaistan wrote:The General Assembly

Why not? I know why not but this comes close to referencing the rules of the game. While there is no spicific rule against it,unlike the SC (unless there is a mod ruling I am unaware of), it doesn't look right. The WA is an international assembly of nations and as such (in character) has what ever power we say it has. As this is fluff, I recommend taking it out.
Acknowledging the great strides made by this body and individual member nations in furthering democracy,

What is stopping this from happening now? Any nation that wants the OEA to assist them is doing, or will be doing so. The OEA being made up of good bureaucratic gnomes already files, in triplicate, reports of their actions and those of the nations they are involved with.
Hereby

Why do you assume this isn't already being done? The gnomes would no doubt file a final report which would also no doubt contain their expert opinion on how the election itself was handled including the above standards.
(b) Upon the request of the government of a member state to monitor that member state’s election(s) and electoral process, and to certify the election(s) and electoral system pursuant to the criteria above,

It already does this.

So you reserve to member states the same things that the game rules and GAR #2 already guarantee.
3) Urges all member nations to hold free and fair elections for national and subnational government positions and legislatures.

Just squeaks by here. In fact, each section just squeaks by the rules and when taken as a whole I'm not 100% sure it does. Regardless, this feels like a dressed up attempt to amend GAR #130 (also illegal) and doesn't offer much in the way of independent substance.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 am

OOC:
Cardoness wrote:What is stopping this from happening now? Any nation that wants the OEA to assist them is doing, or will be doing so. The OEA being made up of good bureaucratic gnomes already files, in triplicate, reports of their actions and those of the nations they are involved with.

There's nothing in the Elections and Assistance Act that allows for that. The provisions of that resolution apply only to "transitioning" nations. Expanding the scope of a committee like this is a perfectly legal function. For example, the World Trade Commisstion has often seen its scope expanded (and contracted) depending on which particular trade laws are in force at the time.
Why do you assume this isn't already being done? The gnomes would no doubt file a final report which would also no doubt contain their expert opinion on how the election itself was handled including the above standards.

Because the OEA's resolution authorising resolution makes no provision for it to happen. The implication that unaccountable "gnomes" are without a vote of the General Assembly expanding the function of WA committees is actually pretty alarming.

Your objection to this proposal is based on a fundamental misreading of the Elections and Assistance Act so I won't pantomine act an "Oh no it doesn't!" line to every one of your arguments, but suffice it to repeat: at present, the OEA's authorised mission is limited to only "transitioning nations". Indeed, you can look at the OEA's very charter:
To assist nations transitioning from a non-democratic to a democratic form of government, hereinafter "transitioning nations," the Organization for Electoral Assistance (OEA) is established.

So you reserve to member states the same things that the game rules and GAR #2 already guarantee.

That's the case for all blockers. Nuclear Arms Possession Act reserves nations' rights to own nuclear arms, but that was the case anyway before it passed. In the past, there was an attempt at a "Prohibition of [WA] Military" proposal, but that was the case anyway, meaning it made no difference when the proposal failed; and the same provision was later written into Rights & Duties v.2 anyway. But this also blocks considerably more: some of the recent draft proposals that would have interfered with democratic systems would have been legal.

This is an excellent proposal and I admit to being utterly mystified as to why it isn't gathering more support.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardoness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC:
Cardoness wrote:What is stopping this from happening now? Any nation that wants the OEA to assist them is doing, or will be doing so. The OEA being made up of good bureaucratic gnomes already files, in triplicate, reports of their actions and those of the nations they are involved with.

There's nothing in the Elections and Assistance Act that allows for that. The provisions of that resolution apply only to "transitioning" nations. Expanding the scope of a committee like this is a perfectly legal function. For example, the World Trade Commisstion has often seen its scope expanded (and contracted) depending on which particular trade laws are in force at the time.

Because the OEA's resolution authorising resolution makes no provision for it to happen. The implication that unaccountable "gnomes" are without a vote of the General Assembly expanding the function of WA committees is actually pretty alarming.

Your objection to this proposal is based on a fundamental misreading of the Elections and Assistance Act so I won't pantomine act an "Oh no it doesn't!" line to every one of your arguments, but suffice it to repeat: at present, the OEA's authorised mission is limited to only "transitioning nations". Indeed, you can look at the OEA's very charter:
To assist nations transitioning from a non-democratic to a democratic form of government, hereinafter "transitioning nations," the Organization for Electoral Assistance (OEA) is established.

That's the case for all blockers. Nuclear Arms Possession Act reserves nations' rights to own nuclear arms, but that was the case anyway before it passed. In the past, there was an attempt at a "Prohibition of [WA] Military" proposal, but that was the case anyway, meaning it made no difference when the proposal failed; and the same provision was later written into Rights & Duties v.2 anyway. But this also blocks considerably more: some of the recent draft proposals that would have interfered with democratic systems would have been legal.

This is an excellent proposal and I admit to being utterly mystified as to why it isn't gathering more support.

OOC: My apologies. I did a quick refresher read of the Elections and Assistance Act and overlooked "transitioning nations". I have re-read that resolution and will back off of my objections to section 1. And though there is no direct reference to "reports", those are the life blood of any bureaucracy and it has been long established that the gnomes and their committees are that in spades.

My objection to section 2 stands. I understand what a good blocker is supposed to do and acknowledge their usefulness. This blocker however is not needed, as the rules and existing WA resolutions already allow each nation to determine its own system of government, and by extension how that government is selected. I didn't have any problem with section 3 except that it doesn't do much. Nations are urged to hold elections, and such nations that hold elections may by request get the OEA to observe such. This resolution doesn't universally require anything thereby making it optional, legal rulings aside.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 am

OOC:
Cardoness wrote:My objection to section 2 stands. I understand what a good blocker is supposed to do and acknowledge their usefulness. This blocker however is not needed, as the rules and existing WA resolutions already allow each nation to determine its own system of government, and by extension how that government is selected.

I think you're missing that there's lots the WA can legally interfere with that this also blocks beyond the generic issue of whether elections happen at all, such as mandating universal suffrage, banning compulsory voting, and regulating felony disenfranchisement. There are myriad other possibilities. This proposal clearly reflects a frustration that the WA cannot impose democracy, yet it can micromanage nations who voluntarily choose to adopt democracy.

Cardoness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Cardoness wrote:My objection to section 2 stands. I understand what a good blocker is supposed to do and acknowledge their usefulness. This blocker however is not needed, as the rules and existing WA resolutions already allow each nation to determine its own system of government, and by extension how that government is selected.

I think you're missing that there's lots the WA can legally interfere with that this also blocks beyond the generic issue of whether elections happen at all, such as mandating universal suffrage, banning compulsory voting, and regulating felony disenfranchisement. There are myriad other possibilities. This proposal clearly reflects a frustration that the WA cannot impose democracy, yet it can micromanage nations who voluntarily choose to adopt democracy.

I see your point Ambassador. But I actually like (some of) those ideas. I don't care if a nation is a democracy or not, but if they are going to claim to be than they should be held to act like one. Surely you don't wish to block the furtherance of democracy?

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Cardoness wrote:

I see your point Ambassador. But I actually like (some of) those ideas. I don't care if a nation is a democracy or not, but if they are going to claim to be than they should be held to act like one. Surely you don't wish to block the furtherance of democracy?

OOC: I think it's hypocritical for the WA to declare that democracies have to abide by certain rules but that non-democracies don't. I think it's impractical to think that the WA can ever really "further democracy" by legislative fiat given a massive "lol nope" opt-out clause exists for every non-democratic nation. I think it's naive to think that imposing strict regulations on democracies that don't apply to non-democratic states won't actually prevent some of those states from choosing to transition.

It's not me that doesn't recognise voting as a universal right: it's the WA. But given it doesn't, legislating as though it does is not something I support.

I've said my piece OOC; I'll leave further defence of the proposal to the author as I don't wish to drag discussion off-topic.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives