NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Liberate Free Thought

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:I need sleep. That was amazing though. We should do this sometime again, soon, Sedge.

that's what she said :p

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:
I need sleep. That was amazing though. We should do this sometime again, soon, Sedge.

Yeah, I'm all worn out, and I sweated loads too. To have kept going for an entire week was amazing, and finishing that close together was great!
Last edited by Sedgistan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Satan In the Flesh
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Satan In the Flesh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Kalibarr wrote:
Unibotian WA Mission wrote:I need sleep. That was amazing though. We should do this sometime again, soon, Sedge.

that's what she said :p

Thats why it was misinterpretable. :unsure:

Wullamudulla
Secretary

Founded: Jun 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Wullamudulla » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:47 pm

What a shame this garbage made it into the law books.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 pm

I need sleep. That was amazing though. We should do this sometime again, soon, Sedge.

I couldn't care less if people misinterpret it. I've lost a lot of sleep over this, as I stayed up telegramming delegates like hell, clearing their own misinterpretations, and asking them to vote for.

Kalibarr wrote:that's what she said :p

I have no idea what "she" said, or who "she" is, so perhaps you are right. She must have said that.

But then again, you have a habit of singing one tune now, and something diametrically opposite later. So, I'd rather not take your word.

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Travancore-Cochin wrote:

I couldn't care less if people misinterpret it. I've lost a lot of sleep over this, as I stayed up telegramming delegates like hell, clearing their own misinterpretations, and asking them to vote for.

Kalibarr wrote:that's what she said :p

I have no idea what "she" said, or who "she" is, so perhaps you are right. She must have said that.

But then again, you have a habit of singing one tune now, and something diametrically opposite later. So, I'd rather not take your word.

Predictability is a weakness ;)

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Hold up here.....

at 8am my time there were 23 hours left to vote according to the WA page.

at 1am, the resolution went through.

What gives? Somewhere, there is an error. I was still tabulating the votes of my region and was expecting that I would be able to place a vote at this time given that it said there were 23 hours left at 8am. It's been 17 hours.

Given the close nature of the vote.... this is an eye opener.
Last edited by West Newmanistan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA Delegate of One Big Island, a region where resolutions are read in full and thought about before we vote.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 pm

There was eleven hours on this thing. I personally suspect something fishy, because the vote was too close to tell, especially after there was only a margin of sixty votes with eleven hours still left on the clock for this one.

By far, this resolution has left a horrible mark. Completely disgusting.

EDIT: There is an almost disturbing polarity in the game now. Due to this, and due to a passion to try and always help out the less-fortunate side, I will step up more protests against liberations such as this. Liberations have now become a tool for defenders, a permanent "ace up the sleeve", but with the house turning a blind eye to the madness. It's one thing to have that ace up one's sleeve, but it's another thing to use it on every single hand, only to make up whatever excuse one pleases to make them appear totally innocent. No, this needs to stop. This is not what liberations were designed for. In all honesty, it would be better to take them off the table permanently than to encourage such gameplay. Truly disgusting.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm glad someone else noticed this too.

Some of us take a region vote: Therefore our votes are late in the going.

The nation of West Newmanistan and the region of One Big Island (IC) seeks a formal explanation of why their voice was not allowed to be heard by the premature closure of the voting here.

Not to mention this was likely to be an against vote as the region vote was currently 4-2 on the against side. My 9 votes and a few other delegates that may have been waiting that also tabulate a region vote could have swung this in the other direction.

We demand an explanation. (This is an IC demand, of course ;) )
Last edited by West Newmanistan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA Delegate of One Big Island, a region where resolutions are read in full and thought about before we vote.

Bellvere
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bellvere » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:05 am

There must have been something wrong with the time, I'm upset that I was not able to give the votes from my region.
Last edited by Bellvere on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:09 am

Todd McCloud wrote:There was eleven hours on this thing. I personally suspect something fishy, because the vote was too close to tell, especially after there was only a margin of sixty votes with eleven hours still left on the clock for this one.

The WA timer is off by 12 hours. It has been so for a long time, now. And guess what, it isn't a closely guarded secret either.

Todd McCloud wrote:By far, this resolution has left a horrible mark. Completely disgusting.

EDIT: There is an almost disturbing polarity in the game now. Due to this, and due to a passion to try and always help out the less-fortunate side, I will step up more protests against liberations such as this. Liberations have now become a tool for defenders, a permanent "ace up the sleeve", but with the house turning a blind eye to the madness. It's one thing to have that ace up one's sleeve, but it's another thing to use it on every single hand, only to make up whatever excuse one pleases to make them appear totally innocent. No, this needs to stop. This is not what liberations were designed for. In all honesty, it would be better to take them off the table permanently than to encourage such gameplay. Truly disgusting.

Passwords have always been a permanent ace up the griefers' sleeve for a while, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be a technique to counter it.

But what's truly disgusting was how you removed your vote, even when it was evident that it was invaders who bussed in and stacked the vote AGAINST in your region.

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 am

Travancore-Cochin wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:There was eleven hours on this thing. I personally suspect something fishy, because the vote was too close to tell, especially after there was only a margin of sixty votes with eleven hours still left on the clock for this one.

The WA timer is off by 12 hours. It has been so for a long time, now. And guess what, it isn't a closely guarded secret either.

Unacceptable. People should not be expected to KNOW this.

If there is a bug then there needs to be disclaimer somewhere on the WA page. If this had been known since the beginning of December, then it is even MORE unacceptable, not less.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:15 am

West Newmanistan wrote:Unacceptable. People should not be expected to KNOW this.

If there is a bug then there needs to be disclaimer somewhere on the WA page. If this had been known since the beginning of December, then it is even MORE unacceptable, not less.

By all means, raise the issue in Technical.

It had been raised more than a month ago, and here we are, still without progress.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006

Postby Todd McCloud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 am

Travancore-Cochin wrote:

If it is such an open policy, why are there (and, I'm going to guess, will be) many delegates coming forward saying they wished they had time to vote, the time that was reflected on the resolution itself? I guess they're all just clueless. Or the whole thing should be made void due to a breech in perjuring the allotted time frame.
Todd McCloud wrote:By far, this resolution has left a horrible mark. Completely disgusting.

Passwords have always been a permanent ace up the griefers' sleeve for a while, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be a technique to counter it.

But what's truly disgusting was how you removed your vote, even when it was evident that it was invaders who bussed in and stacked the vote AGAINST in your region.

Before that happened, the votes were around 8-3. The final vote count was 11-14. When that happened, it became difficult to determine the regional opinion. Unless you have/had specific insight, there is no position for you to gripe about it - the outcome has favored you, and what happens in TEP is solely the rights of those who preside in TEP. It is clear we will have to alter our voting policy, but that is something we will do. In the meantime, I removed my vote since I didn't know what to do - we never had this happen before. I will tell you this, though, I was both threatened and had attempts at collusion from one side (I'll let you guess which one) much more than the other side, something that I'd rather not face in the midst of studying for phd qualifiers.

As for passwords, there is a huge difference, reflected in both the time frame by which the password was implemented, and the fact that both sides of gameplay can and do frequently use it.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 am

Todd McCloud wrote:If it is such an open policy, why are there (and, I'm going to guess, will be) many delegates coming forward saying they wished they had time to vote, the time that was reflected on the resolution itself? I guess they're all just clueless. Or the whole thing should be made void due to a breech in perjuring the allotted time frame.

I don't see what your problem is with this, exactly. Any delegate who votes on every resolution would be knowing this, since, as I said, it has been so for every resolution at vote since the First Tort Reform Act in early December. Since then, we've had 8 resolutions at vote, all with the timestamp off by 12 hours. Didn't see you having an issue then.

As far as the internal matters of TEP are concerned, I won't comment.
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 am

Who did manipulate with the time? Scandalous. It should been approx. 7 hours left! This is indeed fishy. So, this resolution must go back into the queue for another vote.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 am

Kalibarr wrote:
Pyshoria wrote:
Kalibarr wrote:
The mods can't do this (measuring intent), so they left it to the general community to do it, believing in the wisdom of the crowd.

Time for a Thomas Jefferson Quote: "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine"

The "other forty-nine" are the raiders.

Not exactly true, my friend. The majority of the nations on NS are neither raiders nor defenders; they're neutral. And as a note, if you keep attacking these neutral regions, they'll vote against your opinions. Simple as that. So basically, you raiders are hurting your own cause by simply raiding :p

Neutrals allow them selves to be the pawns of the "elite",.

Speaking as a 'neutral' (basically; I have never participated in raiding, and have only defended once which was to help restore Kandarin to power in TRR after one of Taijitu's delegates had so foully abused his own supporters' trust by mass-expelling them thence so that he'd have their [mostly unwitting] backing for his takeover attempt...):
BULLSHIT!

I am not a "pawn", I have never been a "pawn", I am somebody who prefers creation to destruction and therefore opposes region-wreckers -- politically, although not yet militarily -- as a matter of principle.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gun Heaven
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gun Heaven » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 am

Wullamudulla wrote:What a shame this garbage made it into the law books.

QFT

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004

Postby North East Somerset » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 am

I think many delegates will be relieved to have a break. Who cares about stem cell research when there is some obscure setting to change on the game! That surely has to go down as one of the closest and most tense WA resolutions ever.

No, but seriously then, it is a fine shame this passed, and very much a lottery - were it not for the currently unexplained late swap of Empires of Earth we would have won, likewise if TEP have swapped as their forum vote suggested. I am sure there will be repercussions regarding FRA influence in the Security Council now it has become apparent they wish to use it like this, and possibly even a repeal attempt in the future.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 am

Cinistra wrote:Who did manipulate with the time? Scandalous. It should been approx. 7 hours left! This is indeed fishy. So, this resolution must go back into the queue for another vote.

Haven't you actually bothered to read all of the preceding posts, or did you simply not understand them? Nobody "manipulated" the time for this resolution, the discrepancy was due to a known glitch in the game's settings that had already applied for a number of previous votes too...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 am

North East Somerset wrote:I think many delegates will be relieved to have a break. Who cares about stem cell research when there is some obscure setting to change on the game! That surely has to go down as one of the closest and most tense WA resolutions ever.

No, but seriously then, it is a fine shame this passed, and very much a lottery - were it not for the currently unexplained late swap of Empires of Earth we would have won, likewise if TEP have swapped as their forum vote suggested. I am sure there will be repercussions regarding FRA influence in the Security Council now it has become apparent they wish to use it like this, and possibly even a repeal attempt in the future.

True. FRA have now run liberations to the ground. It might (hopefully) make delegates more skeptical from now on about Liberations, but by the same token that may only be a bad thing for those regions which truly needing a password removing. If 'liberate Belgium' was Megan Fox this would be Ivana Trump.

At my last post last night, there were 13 hours or so to go. Okay, apparently the timer's off my 12 hours according to TC:

Travancore-Cochin wrote:The WA timer is off by 12 hours. It has been so for a long time, now. And guess what, it isn't a closely guarded secret either.

Why not mention this fact here, common courtesy and all?
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004

Postby North East Somerset » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 am

I was however aware that it would end the update before the specified time and it's not a dastardly plot, sure it's quite obscure, but you would expect most delegates to know this...
Last edited by North East Somerset on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Cinistra wrote:Who did manipulate with the time? Scandalous. It should been approx. 7 hours left! This is indeed fishy. So, this resolution must go back into the queue for another vote.

Haven't you actually bothered to read all of the preceding posts, or did you simply not understand them? Nobody "manipulated" the time for this resolution, the discrepancy was due to a known glitch in the game's settings that had already applied for a number of previous votes too...

Known because you knew of it?

For the rest it's one of them unknown unknowns.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Dysian
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 am

West Newmanistan wrote:Hold up here.....

at 8am my time there were 23 hours left to vote according to the WA page.

at 1am, the resolution went through.

What gives? Somewhere, there is an error.

No there is none - this is done on purpose. Funny how this error only seems to be "known" by the side who won this vote, no? But anyway, it's not the only "bug" this game has.

Remember the liberation of Belgium? A defender/native WA delegate took over the position from the raider delegate at 4 pm my time. And guess what: the two updates were 6am/6pm, or 10am/10pm by the old rule, I don't recall. In any case, update NEVER was 4 pm. Except for that day.

Also, the "Liberation" game change was proposed after the "Annex". Liberations benefit defenders, while annex benefits generally everyone, although mostly raiders. And guess what? Liberations were implemented with the speed of light, and annex is still not implemented - besides the huge interest, and it being proposed like 6 months ago.

Also, there are cases where nations are "accidentally" logged off without pressing the logout button - at the exact time when they were about to refound a region of theirs (which has to be done in a matter of seconds) - only for the same region to be refounded by "someone else", the very second they login again. Needles to say, the nation who got logged off was an invader.

These cases I've experienced myself, or people close to me. No lies, no deceit, no trickery here. It is more than clear: fendas have sided with the mods and admins, and they are misusing it to the fullest extent. No matter how little sense their written arguments make, they have the advantage of virtually "controlling" gameplay, and therefor have the upper hand on their oppressed counterparts.
Last edited by Dysian on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Known glitch?! I didn't know about it until I read all those posts. To withhold information from players, except all you insiders is indeed manipulation. Also, to let this glitch to continue influence game play is dishonesty. So, this is the way defenders cooperate with the Mods, biasing the gameplay to suit their own nefarious schemes.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives