NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Liberate Capitalist Paradise

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

the Imperial Crown
Envoy

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby the Imperial Crown » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 am

Nierr wrote:
the Imperial Crown wrote:
I'm sorry, what can I attest to?

~LR

My totes condemnable actions errerywhere.

I can only really speak of Osiris, and even then originally you were originally a powerhouse who done what you could to keep Osiris stable. We're all allowed a bit of bad behaviour from time to time - recalling the dungeons.

Meh, I'm retired from feeders and sinkers (and everywhere else) and see no point of rehashing old shit, it's all long gone.
Last edited by the Imperial Crown on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Lord Ravenclaw -
10th Pharaoh and World Assembly Delegate
First Pharaoh of House Ravenclaw
= The Desert Star of Osiris =
5th April 2012 - 29th May 2014

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 am

It is something I'm giving thought to.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:39 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Shadow Afforess wrote:If the author here wants to play with fire, let's play with real fire: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p20886642

I promise never to release or distribute aforementioned tool if the author withdraws his proposal and does not propose new submissions regarding Liberating Capitalist Paradise.

This is seriously fucked up beyond words.
*** Nation deleted. ***

The Blaatschapen - Nationstates Moderator

SCOLOEDIT: It goes without saying that threatening to crack passwords is against the rules. Using it as a blackmail tool is doubly against the rules and well beyond the bounds of anything anyone should ever consider acceptable.

~Scolo

Thanks. Since the mods have intervened in the state of affairs, I shall withdraw my approval for this proposal - one done in protest.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Shadow Afforess wrote:If the author here wants to play with fire, let's play with real fire: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... #p20886642

I promise never to release or distribute aforementioned tool if the author withdraws his proposal and does not propose new submissions regarding Liberating Capitalist Paradise.

*** Nation deleted. ***

SCOLOEDIT: It goes without saying that threatening to crack passwords is against the rules. Using it as a blackmail tool is doubly against the rules and well beyond the bounds of anything anyone should ever consider acceptable.

~Scolo

Thank the Great Bear for voices of reason!

So did Afforess "only" have another nation DEATed for this offence, meaning that he could still return in yet another guise, or was it considered serious enough to move him onto the DOS list?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Arthur Jackson
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthur Jackson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am

Wrapper wrote:If your intent is to flood the queue, how about liberating regions like Monty Pythons Flying Circus? So that when you post it here I can say "Stop that, it's silly." But in my best Graham Chapman voice, of course.

It's better than asking me about my shed.

(But seriously, we have that password for a reason.)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
*** Nation deleted. ***

~Scolo

Thank the Great Bear for voices of reason!

So did Afforess "only" have another nation DEATed for this offence, meaning that he could still return in yet another guise, or was it considered serious enough to move him onto the DOS list?

We cannot discuss specifics of an ongoing determination.

The Blaatschapen should resign

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:We cannot discuss specifics of an ongoing determination.

Still under discussion then? Okay, understood.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Well, given the unique set of circumstances I have to say that I'm against liberating Capitalist Paradise. This might as well be abandoned.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Given this twist of events and the fact the perpetrator of such an egregious action also got DEAT, I am removing my approval as well.

Balance is always needed, and since the one who created the chaos is gone to begin with, it doesn't make much sense to give this one a go, really.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:Thanks. Since the mods have intervened in the state of affairs, I shall withdraw my approval for this proposal - one done in protest.
Vicious Debaters wrote:Well, given the unique set of circumstances I have to say that I'm against liberating Capitalist Paradise. This might as well be abandoned.
Soldati senza confini wrote:Given this twist of events and the fact the perpetrator of such an egregious action also got DEAT, I am removing my approval as well.

Balance is always needed, and since the one who created the chaos is gone to begin with, it doesn't make much sense to give this one a go, really.

You were all OK with punishing an entire region of ~450 inhabitants because of one player's actions? Interesting.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:Thanks. Since the mods have intervened in the state of affairs, I shall withdraw my approval for this proposal - one done in protest.
Vicious Debaters wrote:Well, given the unique set of circumstances I have to say that I'm against liberating Capitalist Paradise. This might as well be abandoned.
Soldati senza confini wrote:Given this twist of events and the fact the perpetrator of such an egregious action also got DEAT, I am removing my approval as well.

You were all OK with punishing an entire region of ~450 inhabitants because of one player's actions? Interesting.

I'm not into this for the "hypocrite" label, as I have no personal interest in seeking punishment to a region for one player's actions.

However, if Afforess wanted to play this card (a new "Liberate Haven" proposal) he should have been ready for the consequences that would bring to himself and others. He was playing with his region, and that was obvious, but he didn't stop to think about it; so I don't feel any guilt into putting forth my approval at first nor in removing it.

Also, I'd like to point out that the first "Liberate Haven" proposal kind of was doing the same thing and many people supporting it didn't seem to mind too much about it back then either.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

Its like saying all Germans are bad because of one political party . . .
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

I would contend that the culture/role/etc. of Capitalist Paradise could radically change with the deletion of Shadow Afforess (Who was functionally 'Forum Royalty' and fairly dominant). Should Capitalist Paradise still warrant liberation, we can do it after the situation cools down.
Last edited by Vicious Debaters on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:You were all OK with punishing an entire region of ~450 inhabitants because of one player's actions? Interesting.

I'm not into this for the "hypocrite" label, as I have no personal interest in seeking punishment to a region for one player's actions.

However, if Afforess wanted to play this card (a new "Liberate Haven" proposal) he should have been ready for the consequences that would bring to himself and others. He was playing with his region, and that was obvious, but he didn't stop to think about it; so I don't feel any guilt into putting forth my approval at first nor in removing it.

I have no idea if you are a hypocrite. I guess that would depend on if you opposed Liberate Haven at all on the grounds that the actions of a few should not paint an entire region in a negative light.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Also, I'd like to point out that the first "Liberate Haven" proposal kind of was doing the same thing and many people supporting it didn't seem to mind too much about it back then either.
How is that justification? You thought it was inappropriate and shitty when they did it, so that means do it right back? (I'm using 'you' and 'they' in a more general sense, not you specifically.)

I just think it is amazingly petty to go after a region because of one player, and I really don't understand how or why this section of the game became so hostile.

DWAsnia wrote:Its like saying all Germans are bad because of one political party . . .
Or like throwing an entire town of people in jail because one guy committed a crime.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think it sets a good precedent to start waving Liberation proposals around as punishment. I'm not sure anybody has made the right decision in any part of this haphazard chain of threats and retaliations, but now's as good a time as any to dial it back.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:56 pm

The precedent already exists.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Nierr wrote:The precedent already exists.

And you are deciding to reinforce that precedent. A precedent that I'm pretty sure you disagree with on the whole. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just find it funny that people jumped on Mall saying he was using the Liberation function to bully a region and then you turn around and do the exact same thing to Capitalist Paradise.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Nierr wrote:The precedent already exists.

And you are deciding to reinforce that precedent. A precedent that I'm pretty sure you disagree with on the whole. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just find it funny that people jumped on Mall saying he was using the Liberation function to bully a region and then you turn around and do the exact same thing to Capitalist Paradise after a member of Capitalist Paradise drafted another Liberate Haven resolution.

Don't mistake what I'm doing here. I struck back against Afforess after he struck at my interests. He bears the responsibility for what happens next.

Shizensky
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Shizensky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Nierr wrote: He bears the responsibility for what happens next.

Putting a gun against a dead man's head and telling him this is all his fault means absolutely nothing.
"Look, that's why there's rules, understand?
So that you think before you break 'em."
My favorite thing about UDP jokes
is I don't care if you get them or not.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Shizensky wrote:
Nierr wrote: He bears the responsibility for what happens next.

Putting a gun against a dead man's head and telling him this is all his fault means absolutely nothing.

To you, perhaps. To me? It's a statement.

Gameplay is done fucking over roleplay.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Luna Amore wrote:How is that justification? You thought it was inappropriate and shitty when they did it, so that means do it right back? (I'm using 'you' and 'they' in a more general sense, not you specifically.)

I just think it is amazingly petty to go after a region because of one player, and I really don't understand how or why this section of the game became so hostile.

I think it's amazingly petty myself to go after a region for the actions of a few; I also think it's amazingly petty we're embroiled into all this R/D-RP debacle if mutual respect would have been established last time this happened. However, like I mentioned, I have no self-interest into all of this. My region houses only me, one of my puppets, and another WA member; hence once I CTE my region will perish.

However, this is what desperation does to people, and I see where the ones who made this proposal are coming from after reading multiple threads where mutual respect has not been established and Gameplay has been established as more important de facto.

In other words, I think the more reasonable solution for solving this is advocating respect from both sides and have them both realize that both parts of NS (R/D and RolePlay) are important. As it stands, we won't see either side relenting, and that is why the forums have become so hostile as of lately. If people want to see this done and over with, all this pettiness and hostility (including Afforess' threats which were over the top) then things need to cool down to where we all have leveled heads on our shoulders.

Right now? At this moment? That's not happening, and nobody but me and a few others like Esternial have been advocating for cool heads for days and we've been drowned out by the more vocal crowd. And the roleplay community has tried to talk reason into the raiders and that hasn't worked. This is nobody's fault but our own as a community, basically.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Nierr wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:And you are deciding to reinforce that precedent. A precedent that I'm pretty sure you disagree with on the whole. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just find it funny that people jumped on Mall saying he was using the Liberation function to bully a region and then you turn around and do the exact same thing to Capitalist Paradise after a member of Capitalist Paradise drafted another Liberate Haven resolution.

Don't mistake what I'm doing here. I struck back against Afforess after he struck at my interests. He bears the responsibility for what happens next.

But you didn't strike back at Afforess, you struck back at Capitalist Paradise. It's an important distinction.

Nierr
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:07 pm

I spent most of the last week advocating for cooler heads. I lead the attempts. I argued down roleplayers in multiple threads and IRCs.

And then another liberate Haven proposal gets drafted and posted. And then Ixnay gets raided.

And I decided that military gameplay doesn't deserve to exist. And their actions are what has caused this.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:09 pm

This discussion is a dangerous road. The proposal is in the queue. Let's let the masses decide it.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Nierr wrote:I spent most of the last week advocating for cooler heads. I lead the attempts. I argued down roleplayers in multiple threads and IRCs.

And then another liberate Haven proposal gets drafted and posted. And then Ixnay gets raided.

And I decided that military gameplay doesn't deserve to exist. And their actions are what has caused this.

And this is exactly what happens when in the middle of a tense situation someone drops an aerial strike with bombs. It doesn't kill anyone, but it sure as hell pisses people off.

In other words, I understand your position.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives