NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Commend McMasterdonia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Great Zurich
Secretary

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Commend McMasterdonia

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia as the former WA Delegate for The North Pacific,

WISHING to recognize this nation for its contributions,

APPLAUDING the effort that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has taken to provide a positive environment for new and old nations alike,

FURTHER NOTING that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has extended the amount of activity in The North Pacific in several ways,

INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:

Providing a humorous and informative regional newspaper
Providing a quality forum
Securing The North Pacific from invaders and raiders
Encouraging new nations to take part in regional government and other activities

Hereby commends The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello friends,

Please read through my draft and tell me what you think of it. Please tell me if you think I should rephrase something or make some grammatical change. Thank you so much and thank you for your time and consideration. :)

Great Zurich

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Mon May 12, 2014 2:27 pm

More information is needed.
Just some weeb.

SkyDip
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Mon May 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Allow me to summarize:
REALIZING McM used to be Delegate,

NOTICING, by law of the North Pacific, one cannot hold three consecutive terms,

SEEING McM step down in accordance with the laws of the region,

Somehow Commends McM

No. This is a bad draft that doesn't tell me anything about McM except that he was once Delegate of TNP.
Elias Thaddeus Greyjoy, WA Ambassador of SkyDip
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 2:36 pm

SkyDip wrote:Allow me to summarize:

Somehow Commends McM

No. This is a bad draft that doesn't tell me anything about McM except that he was once Delegate of TNP.

What would you recommend? More info?

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Mon May 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Great Zurich wrote:
SkyDip wrote:Allow me to summarize:

Somehow Commends McM

What would you recommend? More info?

Well I'd first suggest not basing your entire idea on a lawful exit from the Delegacy of TNP, for one. But yes, in short, you need loads more information. I'd suggest reading some recent Commendations that have passed, including Commend 1 Infinite Loop and Commend Hobbess. Look at how much content those both have compared to this.
Read my Guide to the Security Council, a comprehensive collection of history, tactics, and tips for the Security Council!

Gordano and Lysandus wrote:SkyDip's actions have, ultimately, destroyed the World Assembly.

Eist wrote:Yea... If you are just going to casually dismiss SkyDip's advice, you are probably not going to get very far at all.

Sedgistan wrote:SkyDip is trying to help, and is giving sound advice. I'd suggestion listening to him, as he has experience of writing (and advising others with) legal proposals.

Frisbeeteria wrote:What Skydip said. This bitchfest is an embarrassment to the Security Council.

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Ok thanks a lot :)

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Check out the newly edited draft

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Mon May 12, 2014 3:06 pm

I would love to see McM Commended, genuinely I would. But I don't think this draft really does justice to McM, you have indeed fleshed it out, but it still needs refinement and research. Don't rush it, take your time, do the work, you'll end with a nicely polished draft.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Great Zurich wrote:Check out the newly edited draft

...you added two, tiny lines.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm

The point of a Commendation is to award someone for their accomplishments in this game. In order to convince people to vote for your proposal, you need to properly explain why your nominee is worthy of the highest honor this game can bestow. You explain the worthiness of your nominee in your proposal's text. Expound upon their accomplishments and their contributions. You may just be able to summarize the noteworthy and impressive things McM has done throughout his career in NS. Also, listen to what SkyDip says. He knows what he's talking about.
Last edited by Ramaeus on Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just some weeb.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Great Zurich wrote:Helping new nations out immensely

I don't exactly think this part was needed, considering you already listed the reasons in which they helped new nations.

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 pm

SkyDip wrote:
Great Zurich wrote:Check out the newly edited draft

...you added two, tiny lines.

I actually rewrote the whole thing

Great Zurich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zurich » Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 pm

District XIV wrote:
Great Zurich wrote:Helping new nations out immensely

I don't exactly think this part was needed, considering you already listed the reasons in which they helped new nations.

Thank you. I will remove this line

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm

I'd suggest contacting some of McM's colleagues in the North Pacific for suggestions on what other accomplishments of his could be included. Aba, who replied above, may have some insight. The other players listed in the RMB for The North Pacific (newly elected WAD HMS Unicorn, and maybe also Novare Res and Grosseschnauzer) - and they might be able to suggest others that you should contact as well.

Another tip to keep in mind - proposal writing is a marathon, not a sprint. If you want this to have a chance at passing, it'll probably take a fair amount of time and effort to gather the necessary details and information to finalize the draft ... and then there's all the fine tuning of wording and polishing of phrasing, etc. I think McM would be worthy of a commendation, but I don't think that this draft properly reflects that.

Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm

I like McMasterdonia's achievements, I really do. But tell us something other than in TNP that they have done, because most commendations are given to nations that have affected the world. List some achievements outside of that feeder. Also, it's also kind of short as well. Try adding more things to the proposal, and maybe it'll work out.

Tatooene
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tatooene » Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 pm

I agree with Mousebumples. Also, this draft gives little reason for anyone outside the North Pacific to support it. If a less local accomplishment was added, this might be something I would support.
Just your basic wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Pro: Bacon, Pittsburgh Steelers, 80's Music, Star Wars.
Anti: Salad, Denver Broncos, One Direction, Justin Bieber, The "Brony" fad.
Yes, I know that it's spelled "Tatooine" and not "Tatooene," but the correct spelling was already taken, so don't bug me about it.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:I like McMasterdonia's achievements, I really do. But tell us something other than in TNP that they have done, because most commendations are given to nations that have affected the world. List some achievements outside of that feeder. Also, it's also kind of short as well. Try adding more things to the proposal, and maybe it'll work out.

Commendations for regional achievements have been awarded. They aren't common, but they do happen. See Commend Loop, Commend ASBS, and Commend Krull.
Just some weeb.

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 am

Oi vey...why did you submit this....?

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 am

People who continue to insist that players shouldn't be commended for regional work need to get off their high horses.

McM is a highly deserving candidate.
Retired

North East Somerset
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby North East Somerset » Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 am

Milograd wrote:People who continue to insist that players shouldn't be commended for regional work need to get off their high horses.

Hear hear.

Too many people seem to think SC commendations are just for WA authors to pat themselves on the back. :p

That said this is not a good draft and shouldn't have been submitted without further work.
Royal Duke, Balder
Lord High Steward, The LKE
Honoured Citizen, Europeia

SkyDip
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SkyDip » Tue May 13, 2014 9:53 am

North East Somerset wrote:
Milograd wrote:People who continue to insist that players shouldn't be commended for regional work need to get off their high horses.

Hear hear.

Too many people seem to think SC commendations are just for WA authors to pat themselves on the back. :p

I don't think anyone is saying that. I think everyone is saying that this is a shit draft.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Tue May 13, 2014 10:31 am

Great Zurich wrote:The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that The Northern Lights of The nation tags in proposals give you the pretitle automatically. McMasterdonia as the former Longest-serving and currently outgoing WA Delegate for The North Pacific,

WISHING to recognize this nation for its contributions, Many would say this is fluff and unneeded. I would disagree, but it definitely could be better-written.

APPLAUDING the effort that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has taken to provide a positive environment for new and old nations alike, Elaborate more.

FURTHER NOTING that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has extended the amount of activity in The North Pacific in several ways, such as:

INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: Changed.

Providing Authoring a humorous and informative regional newspaper
Providing Administrating a quality forum
Securing The North Pacific from invaders and raiders They're the same thing, so saying Invaders and Raiders is redundant.
Encouraging new nations to take part in regional government and other activities, Again, more elaboration is needed.
Don't say Providing twice. It gets repetitive.

Acknowledging [nation]McMasterdonia's[/nation] authorship of SC #129 Commend Eluvatar, which recognised a nation which had worked tirelessly to protect multiple regions from tyranny, Worth a mention, and it allays the whole "He never did anything outside of TNP!" thing.

Believing that McMasterdonia more than meets the criteria for a nation worthy of commendation,

Has potential but very light on the content. I'd recommend talking to the Abacathean ambassador about this one: he's involved in the governance of TNP and is also an experienced SC writer.

The newest Applebanian ambassador takes his seat in the SC. He was an Avia, a humanoid with wings on their back, much like an angel. He was rather shy, like a child going to a new school, however Joshua and Claire were busy in the GA, so a ambassador was needed for SC affairs. He sighed, and took out his pens.

"Red is complaints/suggestions, blue is additions, Green is things that are good. I've crossed out things that should go, as well."

OOC: TBH, I don't really know that much about McMasterdonia's achievements, as I'm entirely uninvolved in TNP.

(OOC: I, TBH, don't know that much
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 pm

You should probably also mention his achievements in Balder. He did some good stuff there.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Applebania wrote:
Great Zurich wrote:The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that The Northern Lights of The nation tags in proposals give you the pretitle automatically. McMasterdonia as the former Longest-serving and currently outgoing WA Delegate for The North Pacific,

WISHING to recognize this nation for its contributions, Many would say this is fluff and unneeded. I would disagree, but it definitely could be better-written.

APPLAUDING the effort that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has taken to provide a positive environment for new and old nations alike, Elaborate more.

FURTHER NOTING that The Northern Lights of McMasterdonia has extended the amount of activity in The North Pacific in several ways, :evil: such as:

INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: Changed.

Providing Authoring a humorous and informative regional newspaper
Providing Administrating a quality forum
Securing The North Pacific from invaders and raiders They're the same thing, so saying Invaders and Raiders is redundant.
Encouraging new nations to take part in regional government and other activities, Again, more elaboration is needed.
Don't say Providing twice. It gets repetitive.

Acknowledging [nation]McMasterdonia's[/nation] authorship of SC #129 Commend Eluvatar, which recognised a nation which had worked tirelessly to protect multiple regions from tyranny, Worth a mention, and it allays the whole "He never did anything outside of TNP!" thing.

Believing that McMasterdonia more than meets the criteria for a nation worthy of commendation,

Has potential but very light on the content. I'd recommend talking to the Abacathean ambassador about this one: he's involved in the governance of TNP and is also an experienced SC writer.

The newest Applebanian ambassador takes his seat in the SC. He was an Avia, a humanoid with wings on their back, much like an angel. He was rather shy, like a child going to a new school, however Joshua and Claire were busy in the GA, so a ambassador was needed for SC affairs. He sighed, and took out his pens.

"Red is complaints/suggestions, blue is additions, Green is things that are good. I've crossed out things that should go, as well."

OOC: TBH, I don't really know that much about McMasterdonia's achievements, as I'm entirely uninvolved in TNP.

(OOC: I, TBH, don't know that much

The SC isnt really a IC forum, that's GA territory amigo ^_^

But yes, I echo just about everyone else in the thread; McM is certainly commendable, just this resolution stinks in its current form.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives