NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Child Welfare in Adoption

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:30 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I'm arguing for less text, not more:

UNDERSTANDING that many who desire children are not necessarily able to procreate and that adoption may be their last resort,

"Don't see why you need to acknowledge this at all: it is privileging one reason for adoption above others.

BELIEVING that intercountry adoption can be beneficial to individuals who wish to adopt children and to nations experiencing difficulty with their internal rate of adoption,

"Opens up the meaning without changing the sense of the overall line."

~ Inky Fungschlammer
3,205 pickles unloaded

I will take it under advisement, but I like to write in a flowerly style. I don't believe this is an issue, especially considering it's the preamble, and forgive me for not pandering to someone who isn't even a voting member of this body.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:39 am

Sanctaria wrote:I will take it under advisement, but I like to write in a flowerly style. I don't believe this is an issue, especially considering it's the preamble, and forgive me for not pandering to someone who isn't even a voting member of this body.

"Our nation will be perfectly happy to rejoin this organization once the Secretariat displays a willingness to hold themselves even the tiniest bit accountable for their risible incompetence, but until then, we are as entitled to lobby here as Observers as are the nations of Grays Harbor, C.D.S.P., Araraukar, Bears Armed, The Federal Republic, or any of the other many observers in the long tradition of this organization."

~ Inky Fungschlammer
3,849 pickles unloaded

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:43 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I will take it under advisement, but I like to write in a flowerly style. I don't believe this is an issue, especially considering it's the preamble, and forgive me for not pandering to someone who isn't even a voting member of this body.

"Our nation will be perfectly happy to rejoin this organization once the Secretariat displays a willingness to hold themselves even the tiniest bit accountable for their risible incompetence, but until then, we are as entitled to lobby here as Observers as are the nations of Grays Harbor, C.D.S.P., Araraukar, Bears Armed, The Federal Republic, or any of the other many observers in the long tradition of this organization."

I have absolutely zero problems with observers attempting to lobby, and indeed I generally do welcome it, but I hope they don't expect me to go out of my way to write and rewrite minutiae and non-binding parts of my proposals to appease them - especially when they neither have a say in, nor are they effected by, the proposal itself.

There's also something biting about a nation who can't even be bothered to have a full-time Ambassador to the World Assembly, and one who degrades the body at every opportunity, decrying a sentence in my preamble which apparently privileges some who want to adopt kids over others, thereby bringing this very Assembly into disrepute.

As I said, I'll take your comments under advisement, and it may even be that I end up agreeing to your request, but please don't keep pushing it.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 am

We are voting members of this body, just not with the Imperial capitol nation.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:57 am

Grays Harbor wrote:We are voting members of this body, just not with the Imperial capitol nation.

I never claimed otherwise, my friend.

To clarify, I suppose, I welcome suggestions most heartily, and will accept any and all that are useful and beneficial. I will not, however, edit my proposal blindly with every amendment offered, especially those offered by lobbyists.

But I do welcome suggestions. It is in this delegation's interests to have the best proposal on the issue possible.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 am

Sanctaria wrote:Take 2.

We note the changes made to the text, and drop our objection to it.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:11 am

"We are studying the present draft, and expect to have our initial comments about it ready within a day or so."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Right now, I would not vote for this proposal because I would not support international adoption regulations forbidding adoption agencies from taking gender, marital status, and sexual orientation into account.

Also, I think the term "crossnational" ought to be used instead of "intercountry."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Right now, I would not vote for this proposal because I would not support international adoption regulations forbidding adoption agencies from taking gender, marital status, and sexual orientation into account.

This is unsuprising. The CoCR already forbids discrimination on these grounds, this is simply underscoring this.

Christian Democrats wrote:Also, I think the term "crossnational" ought to be used instead of "intercountry."

As has already been explained, intercountry is the correct and appropriate term.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Right now, I would not vote for this proposal because I would not support international adoption regulations forbidding adoption agencies from taking gender, marital status, and sexual orientation into account.

Really? You are going to bring homophobia, and gay rights into this now?

Surprised? Me neither.... :roll:
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Sanctaria wrote:

This is unsuprising. The CoCR already forbids discrimination on these grounds, this is simply underscoring this.

Resolution 35, the Charter of Civil Rights, prohibits discrimination by governments on the grounds of "sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, [or] sexual orientation or sexual identity . . . except for compelling practical purposes."

Marital status is not included, and there may be compelling reasons for the government to take one's gender or sexual orientation into account when one is seeking to adopt a child.

Resolution 35 further prohibits private discrimination "in private employment, housing, education, employment benefits, compensations and access to services provided to the general public." This provision, in the opinion of our nation's lawyers, does not impose any restrictions on the criteria private adoption agencies may apply when they are trying to find adoptive parents for children.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:This is unsuprising. The CoCR already forbids discrimination on these grounds, this is simply underscoring this.

Resolution 35, the Charter of Civil Rights, prohibits discrimination by governments on the grounds of "sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, [or] sexual orientation or sexual identity . . . except for compelling practical purposes."

Marital status is not included, and there may be compelling reasons for the government to take one's gender or sexual orientation into account when one is seeking to adopt a child.

Resolution 35 further prohibits private discrimination "in private employment, housing, education, employment benefits, compensations and access to services provided to the general public." This provision, in the opinion of our nation's lawyers, does not impose any restrictions on the criteria private adoption agencies may apply when they are trying to find adoptive parents for children.

I knew when writing that clause I would not have your nation's support, and nor would I want it - especially when such support would come at the detriment of single and LGB individuals across the NationStates multiverse.

This particular clause underscores the basic tenets of the CoCR and, further, while it does not echo its decision to add a compelling practical purpose for discriminating against, because I do not believe in such a situation ever existing, the clause does say what could "reasonable be construed to be discriminatory". I believe this serves a similar purpose to the compelling practical purpose provision in the CoCR, as horrible as that provision may be.

As for private adoption agencies, this proposal is not concerned with them. This proposal is concerned with intercountry adoption and does not permit private adoption agencies to carry out intercountry adoption since nations must appoint or create a state or semi-state agency to deal with these. Private or domestic adoption agencies may continue to use whatever regulations they see fit for domestic and internal adoption services.

It is possible the clause in question which sets forward that intercountry adoption services may only be provides by this National Adoption Board may be need to be re-written so this is more clear.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Resolution 35, the Charter of Civil Rights, prohibits discrimination by governments on the grounds of "sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, [or] sexual orientation or sexual identity . . . except for compelling practical purposes."

I knew when writing that clause I would not have your nation's support, and nor would I want it - especially when such support would come at the detriment of single and LGB individuals across the NationStates multiverse.

Adoption is about doing what's best for children. The rights of the child must take primacy.

Sanctaria wrote:As for private adoption agencies, this proposal is not concerned with them. This proposal is concerned with intercountry adoption and does not permit private adoption agencies to carry out intercountry adoption since nations must appoint or create a state or semi-state agency to deal with these.

I'm not sure why you think private adoption agencies are incapable of dealing with foreigners.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Adoption is about doing what's best for children. The rights of the child must take primacy.

The welfare of the child in question is of paramount importance. That's why the clause also prevents them from being discriminated against.

Christian Democrats wrote:I'm not sure why you think private adoption agencies are incapable of dealing with foreigners.

Nowhere did I put forth that notion. I find it simply better in terms of the regulation of intercountry adoption that everything be central and singular and, importantly, that the state has some sort of responsibility.

Ambassador, I will not be removing or substantially editing the clause you have a problem with. Nor will I be opening this draft to regulating a nation's internal adoption industry. Intercountry adoption, however, is an international and important issue, and I believe that ensuring the welfare of the child via state involvement, even it is limited, is important. As such having a National Adoption Board with government oversight seems like a responsible and efficient manner of conducting intercountry adoption.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Adoption is about doing what's best for children. The rights of the child must take primacy.

The welfare of the child in question is of paramount importance. That's why the clause also prevents them from being discriminated against.

Placing a child with a single person or a same-sex couple infringes on his right to have a female caregiver and a male caregiver.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:The welfare of the child in question is of paramount importance. That's why the clause also prevents them from being discriminated against.

Placing a child with a single person or a same-sex couple infringes on his right to have a female caregiver and a male caregiver.

There is no right to that in international law.

Ambassador, we're diametrically opposed on this issue. We're not going to agree. I'd rather not waste valuable drafting time on this with you.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I've written a third draft. It is below and in the updated OP. I thank all the Ambassadors who have contributed to the debate thus far.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

On Intercountry Adoption
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Sanctaria

Description: The General Assembly,

BELIEVING that intercountry adoption can be beneficial to individuals who wish to adopt and to nations experiencing difficulty with their internal rate of adoption,

FRUSTRATED with the reality that member nations each have differing rules and regulations regarding intercountry adoption,

HOPEFUL that the consolidation of these varied rules and regulations will break down barriers to intercountry adoption,

Hereby

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, the following:

i. child: an individual under the age of majority in both the birth country and the host country,
ii. prospective adopter: an individual who is seeking to adopt a child;

DEMANDS that, should one not already exist, each member nation that permits intercountry adoption establish a state or semi-state agency, to be known as National Adoption Boards, which shall have the following duties:

i. to maintain a register of children available within that nation for adoption,
ii. to work with and vet prospective adopters in that nation, and
iii. to liaise with National Adoption Boards in other member nations during intercountry adoption processes;

CLARIFIES that any intercountry adoption must be conducted between National Adoption Boards;

CREATES the World Assembly Adoption Authority (WAAA) to establish and implement a uniform code of rules and regulations regarding intercountry adoption;

MANDATES that all National Adoption Boards be member organisations of WAAA and that they adhere to all these regulations, procedures, and standards established;

DECLARES that no National Adoption Board may establish regulations, procedures, protocols, or standards regarding intercountry adoption that are contradictory or additional to those established by WAAA;

FORBIDS WAAA from establishing standards, protocols, and procedures that could reasonably be construed to be discriminatory (e.g. disallowing an intercountry adoption based on the prospective adopter's, or child's, nationality, race, gender, sexuality, or marital status), unless there are compelling practical reasons to do so;

OUTLAWS the practice of buying children, in which financial or in-kind payments are exchanged to ensure an individual receives a child, however;

ACKNOWLEDGES that, in the case of adoption processes, some reasonable fees may be charged by certified adoption agencies for expenses incurred during the adoption process.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Brilliant Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Brilliant Equestria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:01 pm

"The new draft resolves our objections and, as such, I can formally announce our full support. I would suggest perhaps changing the definition of prospective adopter to say 'party' instead of 'individual' - as some might construe that as giving preference to non-couples - but that's a minor quibble".
Last edited by Brilliant Equestria on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the desk of Lord Bentwing, ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of Her Eternal Highness Brilliant Shimmer
Divine Princess of Brilliant Equestria
Member nation of the Pony Lands
Future tech/fantasy tech absolute monarchy ruled by an epic-level wizard. Also, it's mostly ponies. There are some humans too. We'll probably get along fine as long as you aren't a theocracy.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:02 pm

Brilliant Equestria wrote:"The new draft resolves our minor objections and, as such, I can formally announce our full approval. I would suggest perhaps changing the definition of prospective adopter to say 'party' instead of 'individual', as some might construe that as giving preference to non-couples but that's a minor quibble".

My thanks to the Ambassador, and we'll take that under consideration during our next redraft.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Nolgaria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolgaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:08 pm

"I have issues with the first definition of children as it states that child shall be defined as 'an individual under the age of majority in both the birth country and the host country.' Under this clause, if one nation's majority age is 18 years of age but another's is 12 years of age, if a 14 year old child was involved in an adoption, according to this resolution, they would not be included as children. My two suggestions are either,

1) Create a definition for child as an individual between birth and twenty-one years of age

2) Or stipulate that each National Adoption Board shall specificy what the age of majority is all exchanges must be worked around these agencies accordingly"

~Ambassador Vaska Markovic

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Nolgaria wrote:"I have issues with the first definition of children as it states that child shall be defined as 'an individual under the age of majority in both the birth country and the host country.' Under this clause, if one nation's majority age is 18 years of age but another's is 12 years of age, if a 14 year old child was involved in an adoption, according to this resolution, they would not be included as children. My two suggestions are either,

1) Create a definition for child as an individual between birth and twenty-one years of age

2) Or stipulate that each National Adoption Board shall specificy what the age of majority is all exchanges must be worked around these agencies accordingly"

I don't see the problem the Ambassador is stipulating. If a child is under the age of majority in, say, his birth country, but not in the country where the prospective adopters live and where he would be living if adopted, then he cannot be adopted, as he wouldn't be a child in the country where he'd be living and legally resident of.

I don't feel comfortable using defined numerical standards.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Brilliant Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Brilliant Equestria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Nolgaria wrote:1) Create a definition for child as an individual between birth and twenty-one years of age

"Previous discussions regarding a standardized international age of majority have not gone well. Most nations seem to set it at somewhere between 18 to 21 but even that would create the problem of an adult in one nation visiting another and suddenly being considered a child. Furthermore, it ignores nations with non-human citizens that mature faster or slower than humans as well as nations with lower levels of technological development where most might not even live to see 21.

It's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened for this resolution and can only side-track the debate".
From the desk of Lord Bentwing, ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary of Her Eternal Highness Brilliant Shimmer
Divine Princess of Brilliant Equestria
Member nation of the Pony Lands
Future tech/fantasy tech absolute monarchy ruled by an epic-level wizard. Also, it's mostly ponies. There are some humans too. We'll probably get along fine as long as you aren't a theocracy.

Nolgaria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolgaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Nolgaria wrote:"I have issues with the first definition of children as it states that child shall be defined as 'an individual under the age of majority in both the birth country and the host country.' Under this clause, if one nation's majority age is 18 years of age but another's is 12 years of age, if a 14 year old child was involved in an adoption, according to this resolution, they would not be included as children. My two suggestions are either,

I don't see the problem the Ambassador is stipulating. If a child is under the age of majority in, say, his birth country, but not in the country where the prospective adopters live and where he would be living if adopted, then he cannot be adopted, as he wouldn't be a child in the country where he'd be living and legally resident of.

I don't feel comfortable using defined numerical standards.

That better clarifies my question, ambassador. Also, I wish to withdraw my second suggestion as not every nation may feel comfortable in letting the board choose the majority age and such a decision should be left up to the general nation as a whole, to be decided through which ever venue they see fit. I have no other objections to this resolution.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm

"Sciongrad is very glad to see that this issue is being addressed and offer our support to his Excellency of Sanctaria. However, we would be interested in the inclusion of a provision that addresses the issue of what's to be done if the WAAA or a National Adoption Board determines that the adoption may not be in the child's best welfare when the adoption is to take place after the transfer of the child to the receiving state. Provisions for ensuring temporary care by the WAAA (or at least having the WAAA coordinate such an arrangement) may be worthwhile.

Either way, Sciongrad remains very pleased with the draft thus far and we wish the Sanctarian delegation the best of luck."
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Sciongrad wrote:"Sciongrad is very glad to see that this issue is being addressed and offer our support to his Excellency of Sanctaria. However, we would be interested in the inclusion of a provision that addresses the issue of what's to be done if the WAAA or a National Adoption Board determines that the adoption may not be in the child's best welfare when the adoption is to take place after the transfer of the child to the receiving state. Provisions for ensuring temporary care by the WAAA (or at least having the WAAA coordinate such an arrangement) may be worthwhile.

Either way, Sciongrad remains very pleased with the draft thus far and we wish the Sanctarian delegation the best of luck."

I would not feel comfortable making such an addition to the proposal. I'm not aware of a situation in intercountry adoptions where the child is transferred before the adoption is finalised. Unless I am misunderstanding your comments. Once the child has been adopted, its welfare is under the purview of the system in the host country, or the child's new country, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't suggest that WAAA or National Adoption Boards would have a role here.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives