NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] On Universal Jurisdiction

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Defwa wrote:This appears to be just as broken as the last time you tried it, Auralia.

The ICC creates consistency that local courts do not. It remains the best option to adequately punish crimes against humanity.

'While this delegation bears objection to the fact that the delegation from Defwa does not address the correct delegation, no matter its status as a successor state or whatever status is possessed by this change in Assembly representation, the honourable representative from Defwa calls a very good point. The ICC is the best way to punish crimes against humanity'

Taking a drink, Ambassador Parsons then continued, 'Furthermore, this delegation bears objection towards clause 6, which

Railana wrote:Forbids the World Assembly from itself exercising criminal jurisdiction of any kind, including but not limited to through an International Criminal Court or a substantially similar institution.

This delegation believes that due to the status of the World Assembly, there does not exist a process by which the World Assembly can forbid itself from doing anything via legislation and not charter, rule, or constitution'

OOC: And if we passed something which forbids the World Assembly from doing something, who is going to know later. It'll just be a mess with legislation which allows and prevents and nobody will keep track of it. It might as well be a proactive repeal of all future legislation which mandates the opposite.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Taking a drink, Ambassador Parsons then continued, 'Furthermore, this delegation bears objection towards clause 6, which

Railana wrote:Forbids the World Assembly from itself exercising criminal jurisdiction of any kind, including but not limited to through an International Criminal Court or a substantially similar institution.

This delegation believes that due to the status of the World Assembly, there does not exist a process by which the World Assembly can forbid itself from doing anything via legislation and not charter, rule, or constitution'

OOC: And if we passed something which forbids the World Assembly from doing something, who is going to know later. It'll just be a mess with legislation which allows and prevents and nobody will keep track of it. It might as well be a proactive repeal of all future legislation which mandates the opposite.

Unfortunately (in this case; less so in others) per the WA Charter, any resolution is binding until fully repealed; including so-called "blockers." Not only can the General Assembly prohibit itself from carrying out certain acts, it takes a positive delight in doing so. This is used often for good and virtuous ends, as well as greedy and selfish ones, and I'm not giving you a list of which is which right now :p .

We are in complete agreement with the Defwaen and English Imperial delegations: Clause 6 must be removed or we cannot support this, full stop. The only truly legitimate wielder of "universal" jurisdiction is a universal body; all others are acting merely in its name.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Greater Louisistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Louisistan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Unfortunately (in this case; less so in others) per the WA Charter, any resolution is binding until fully repealed; including so-called "blockers."

Deputy Ambassador Roland Schulz: "Right... Like we did with National Economic Freedoms? Oh wait...

There is only one proposal that has hit the floor on the topic of WA Enforcment: Extradite or Prosecute."
~ Deputy Ambassador Roland Schulz (if not marked otherwise)
Info on the WA Caucus of Greater Louisistan: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=gre ... ok/id=main

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Greater Louisistan wrote:There is only one proposal that has hit the floor on the topic of WA Enforcment: Extradite or Prosecute."

If the Dark Star draft on this general topic were to be submitted, we would support it, for the fact that it takes concrete steps to address war crimes and other atrocities, while leaving open future systemic refinements in how such crimes are handled. The Railanan version prohibits any such development. Thus, in the absence of an International Criminal Court, national enforcement mechanisms for international laws are preferable to absolute dick; but later on, an ICC will be preferable to piecemeal and potentially uneven national mechanisms (even if such a court must establish jurisdiction by filing an extradition request, which it seems it would probably have to do under the "Extradite or Prosecute" regime as currently drafted).

In any case, we categorically will not support any bill which blocks the recreation of a WA war crimes court.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Greater Louisistan wrote:There is only one proposal that has hit the floor on the topic of WA Enforcment: Extradite or Prosecute."

If the Dark Star draft on this general topic were to be submitted, we would support it, for the fact that it takes concrete steps to address war crimes and other atrocities, while leaving open future systemic refinements in how such crimes are handled.

To avoid a threadjack and allow Railana to draft their proposal I'm going to respond to this in my own thread.

Railana
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm afraid that we have a bit of a stalemate, then. As we are categorically opposed to the formation of an international criminal court, we have no intention of removing clause 6.

In the absence of any further constructive criticism, we will likely submit very soon.

Joseph Fulton
Chief Ambassador, Railanan Mission to the World Assembly
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

"Lex naturalis voluntas Dei est."

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Railana wrote:I'm afraid that we have a bit of a stalemate, then. As we are categorically opposed to the formation of an international criminal court, we have no intention of removing clause 6.

"Why not? I realize we will likely not be able to convince you otherwise. But your proposal as written doesn't really explain your position. It leaps immediately to being 'convinced'."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

OOC: The vote on this one promises to be fascinating. IC opposition, OOC delight.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:10 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

We have never approved of the International Criminal Court, and are disturbed that some representatives here are considering reviving it. If this resolution is what it takes to drive a stake through its heart, then we look favorably upon it.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Railana wrote:I'm afraid that we have a bit of a stalemate, then. As we are categorically opposed to the formation of an international criminal court, we have no intention of removing clause 6.

During a pause in the discussion, Parsons takes an aside to Fulton, asking 'Ambassador Fulton, I am curious to know why you do not support the formation of an International Criminal Court', hastily adding, 'I could understand if you did not want adequate enforcement of bills, but that seems to be untrue in this case. I know my predecessor, Ambassador Roberts, opposed any enforcement mechanisms unless directly written into the bill, but with our recent electoral victory, that Foreign Office reservation has been dropped'.

[EDIT: Added information]
[EDIT2: Fixed errors]
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:34 am

Clover sighed "My opposition to the ICC was the fact that member nations were expected to hand over anyone they demanded, without an appeals process, and without a published threshold of evidence required. I read it as very useful to harass a foreign leader one does not like. I still take great offense to the WA and its members somehow believing that they are morally superior and therefore it is the WAs right to try OUR citizens above our own courts. That said, as intrusive as this whole area of thought will be, this replacement is acceptable, and will have my support"
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:29 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:Why not?

Imperium Anglorum wrote:During a pause in the discussion, Parsons takes an aside to Fulton, asking 'Ambassador Fulton, I am curious to know why you do not support the formation of an International Criminal Court'

Many of the arguments we made in our ICC repeal draft are equally applicable to any international court.

In essence, we believe that Railana must have the right to try criminals within our jurisdiction in accordance with our own legal rules, principles and traditions; it is the only way we can ensure the proper administration of justice. With an international court, we cannot be certain that criminal defendants will receive the same legal protections that a defendant would receive within our legal system. We cannot subject an international court to external oversight sufficient to avoid politicized prosecutions, collusion between judges and prosecutors, concealment of evidence, and other violations of legal ethics.

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I realize we will likely not be able to convince you otherwise. But your proposal as written doesn't really explain your position. It leaps immediately to being 'convinced'.

This is a fair point. We will make an appropriate change.

Joseph Fulton
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Railana wrote:In essence, we believe that Railana must have the right to try criminals within our jurisdiction in accordance with our own legal rules, principles and traditions; it is the only way we can ensure the proper administration of justice. With an international court, we cannot be certain that criminal defendants will receive the same legal protections that a defendant would receive within our legal system. We cannot subject an international court to external oversight sufficient to avoid politicized prosecutions, collusion between judges and prosecutors, concealment of evidence, and other violations of legal ethics.

Thank you for explicating your thinking, sir. I won't waste my energy or your time with further attempts to convince you otherwise, nor with additional blustering declarations of opposition. However, it's worth pointing out the absurd level of irony at play here: precisely the same concerns drive our support for a broadly-justified and long-term-consistent international court over the possibly erratic swath of different national prosecution systems. You could swap all instances of national and international courts in your statement and it would suddenly become our very argument (if differently worded) for the exact opposite view. Food for thought.

Good day.
Ambassador Pro Tem
Illustrious Bum #279

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Thank you for explicating your thinking, sir. I won't waste my energy or your time with further attempts to convince you otherwise, nor with additional blustering declarations of opposition. However, it's worth pointing out the absurd level of irony at play here: precisely the same concerns drive our support for a broadly-justified and long-term-consistent international court over the possibly erratic swath of different national prosecution systems. You could swap all instances of national and international courts in your statement and it would suddenly become our very argument (if differently worded) for the exact opposite view. Food for thought.

I wouldn't call it irony; it's only natural that we should be more concerned about the integrity of our own legal system than those of other nations.

It's also worth noting that concerns about flawed justice systems in particular World Assembly nations can be remedied through targeted World Assembly resolutions like Habeas Corpus; there's no need to establish an international court as a workaround. ((OOC: This is even more true if you subscribe to the theory of mandatory compliance.))

Joseph Fulton
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Railana wrote:In essence, we believe that Railana must have the right to try criminals within our jurisdiction in accordance with our own legal rules, principles and traditions; it is the only way we can ensure the proper administration of justice. With an international court, we cannot be certain that criminal defendants will receive the same legal protections that a defendant would receive within our legal system. We cannot subject an international court to external oversight sufficient to avoid politicized prosecutions, collusion between judges and prosecutors, concealment of evidence, and other violations of legal ethics.

"Reasonable answer, thank you.

"To be clear, we wouldn't advocate for a first resort criminal court, as the Defwaen delegation appears to favour. Our concern is your blocker is so broad it would rule out even a last resort criminal court, such as one for stateless individuals or in cases of failed/ceased states or where a state actually wants to grant extraterritorial jurisdiction. It's written broadly that it's definitely possible to anticipate the Secretariat - especially in light of their recent hiring practices - using it as a means to void even an International Court of Justice despite the idea being completely removed from that of an ICC-like institution.

"So we agree states should have the first opportunity to try crimes where possible but we're concerned your blocker will be too sweeping."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:04 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"To be clear, we wouldn't advocate for a first resort criminal court, as the Defwaen delegation appears to favour. Our concern is your blocker is so broad it would rule out even a last resort criminal court, such as one for stateless individuals or in cases of failed/ceased states or where a state actually wants to grant extraterritorial jurisdiction. It's written broadly that it's definitely possible to anticipate the Secretariat - especially in light of their recent hiring practices - using it as a means to void even an International Court of Justice despite the idea being completely removed from that of an ICC-like institution.

"So we agree states should have the first opportunity to try crimes where possible but we're concerned your blocker will be too sweeping."

I understand your concerns. Do you have any suggestions for how we might reword the blocker?

Joseph Fulton
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 pm

"I just wouldn't bother. I don't believe ICC 2.0 will ever be politically or legally feasible again. It's also unclear why it's necessary, given 3 (a): it would seem that if that person is in Railana, you have not just a right but a requirement to prosecute them. It could say something like the right of universal jurisdiction cannot be overriden (there may be a better word than that) by the WA or any agency thereof.

"What happens when more than one state claims universal jurisdiction? How is that resolved?"

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

OOC: With respect to my Extradite & Prosecute proposal, I don't think you were, but don't wait on me: until I get a reply about the all nations horseshit (unlikely) and an explanation of how the magical invisible clauses, which now definitely exist, don't render the proposal illegal, as they should (very very unlikely), I can't proceed on it, so this will likely trump it anyway.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:41 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: With respect to my Extradite & Prosecute proposal, I don't think you were, but don't wait on me: until I get a reply about the all nations horseshit (unlikely) and an explanation of how the magical invisible clauses, which now definitely exist, don't render the proposal illegal, as they should (very very unlikely), I can't proceed on it, so this will likely trump it anyway.

OOC: What? I have no idea what these "magical invisible clauses " are or why they matter. I know I've been gone for a few months but it doesn't seem like WA law should have changed that much.
Last edited by Losthaven on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I just wouldn't bother. I don't believe ICC 2.0 will ever be politically or legally feasible again. It's also unclear why it's necessary, given 3 (a): it would seem that if that person is in Railana, you have not just a right but a requirement to prosecute them. It could say something like the right of universal jurisdiction cannot be overriden (there may be a better word than that) by the WA or any agency thereof.

I've rewritten the clause as follows:

Forbids the World Assembly from preempting a member state's claim to universal jurisdiction under this resolution, including but not limited to through an international criminal court or a substantially similar institution, to the extent permitted by this and previous World Assembly resolutions;

((OOC: Do you think it is illegal to explicitly forbid the World Assembly from doing something? Is one obliged to use more careful wording, along the lines of "reserves to member nations the power to..."?))

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"What happens when more than one state claims universal jurisdiction? How is that resolved?"

Member nations should not have the right to claim universal jurisdiction over individuals that are not currently within their territorial jurisdiction. I'll add a clause making that clear.

Joseph Fulton
Last edited by Railana on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Railana wrote:Member nations should not have the right to claim universal jurisdiction over individuals that are not currently within their territorial jurisdiction. I'll add a clause making that clear.

"That was not at all clear to me. Thanks for the clarification."

OOC: Losthaven, I'll stick to my thread for such questions; as to prohibiting future actions Rights & Duties kind of fuzzed that, so I really couldn't say.

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:30 am

((OOC: This has now been submitted.))
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 am

"Cannot support. As currently written, it would make my own draft, which deals with Wartime Looting and Pillaging, illegal. It manages to cover the topic in a single sentence which really requires its own resolution."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Railana
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Railana » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:44 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Cannot support. As currently written, it would make my own draft, which deals with Wartime Looting and Pillaging, illegal. It manages to cover the topic in a single sentence which really requires its own resolution."

Could you clarify how this proposal makes your draft illegal? I'm afraid I don't see it.

Joseph Fulton
Dominion of Railana
Also known as Auralia

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:54 pm

Railana wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Cannot support. As currently written, it would make my own draft, which deals with Wartime Looting and Pillaging, illegal. It manages to cover the topic in a single sentence which really requires its own resolution."

Could you clarify how this proposal makes your draft illegal? I'm afraid I don't see it.

Joseph Fulton

"It compels prosecution for unnecessary violence towards civilians Which is, in essence, what Looting and Pillaging does. It just does so with much less finesse, which you' expect, as that isn't the penultimate goal of the resolution. Which is exactly what I was in opposition to in regards to every other quasi-replacement of the ICC. It causes a Duplication issue that, I'm afraid, is far too great for the Secretariat to allow."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Despite my opposition to universal jurisdiction, I've approved this proposal because it is better than other proposals, which seek to establish an international tribunal with jurisdiction over all acts that are crimes under international law.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I do not understand how this can possibly be civil rights. It covers multiple categories, and as such an in depth GHR on the matter will be filed on illegalities....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads