NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Prevention of Wildfires

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

What title should I use for this proposal?

Poll ended at Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 am

Reduce Unwanted Forest Fires
14%
Prevention of Wildfires
62%
Convention on Fire Fighting
14%
something else, specified in your post
10%

Total votes : 21

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 am

Blood Wine wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:If wildfires aren't prevented then they could cut into the stocks of timber available for logging: Therefore preventing wildfires probably increases the amount of timber available to the logging companies, and thus increases -- rather than decreases -- their profits.
Clear enough?

Sure,but my point here is that day to day operations for logging would also increase by this resolution - plus the environment would be better,loggers can just easily move (especially in jungles)

Wildfire:one time cost for moving
prevention:extra day to day costs

Overall,I think this would increase costs

The "I think, therefore I am [right]" doesn't really help, especially if one cannot understand your argument. :/

Try rephrasing the argument? I really don't get it :S
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Blood Wine
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Blood Wine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:34 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
Blood Wine wrote:
Sure,but my point here is that day to day operations for logging would also increase by this resolution - plus the environment would be better,loggers can just easily move (especially in jungles)

Wildfire:one time cost for moving
prevention:extra day to day costs

Overall,I think this would increase costs

The "I think, therefore I am [right]" doesn't really help, especially if one cannot understand your argument. :/

The "I think" part is because I'm not a logger myself,ergo I can't be certain

Extra regulations regarding forest fires would cost the logging industry more
Without those regulations,the loggers can move to another part of the forest or jungle and continue rather then save the forest

Ergo,I believe that this resolution will cost the logging industry,while benefiting the environment
Formerly known as Port Blood
Elke and Elba wrote:Well Mall, you want Haven? I'd want your Joint Systems Alliance badge, then.
Discoveria wrote:Port blood is a raider through and through. Honest.
Tim-Opolis wrote:The Salt Mines will be fueled for months by the tears of silly fascists.
Sedgistan wrote:Attempted threadjack on sandwiches and satanism removed.
[4:27 PM] Antigone: Port Blood = Gameplay Jesus
Former foreign Minister of gay
Current community leader in charge of foreign affairs of gay
ex corporal in The Black Hawks

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 am

Blood Wine wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

The "I think" part is because I'm not a logger myself,ergo I can't be certain

Extra regulations regarding forest fires would cost the logging industry more
Without those regulations,the loggers can move to another part of the forest or jungle and continue rather then save the forest

Ergo,I believe that this resolution will cost the logging industry,while benefiting the environment

"Not really. Wildfire response expenses are absorbed by the state. The logging industry generally shoulders more then nominal clean-up costs, which are outweighed by the profit of not having burnt down timber."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm

ImageRuling of the SecretariatImage
Bears Armed wrote:It has always been the case that non-members can deccide to comply voluntarily with any WA/GA resolutions that they choose, because of course otherwise every substantive resolution that passed would actually affect all non-members by forcing them to do the opposite instead.
It has been established by precedent and associated Modly ruling that a proposal telling a WA agency to provide a service to member nations can legally allow the agency to offer that service to any non-members who want it (and who are prepared to pay whatever price would be involved) as well.
Okay, so: Would it be legal for a proposal explicitly to include voluntary compliance with its restrictions in the price to be paid by any non-members who want the associated benefits?

(This is potentially relevant for my currrently-drafting 'Prevention of Wildfires' proposal.)

Precedent has shown that while the WA cannot compel non-member states to comply with resolutions it is possible to allow non-member states to opt into complying with resolutions and utilizing agencies established by passed resolutions.
GAR#87: Meteorological Cooperation wrote:8. Offers the services of the IMO to nations that are not members of the WA too, if their governments are willing to pay negotiated contributions towards its expenses and to send it all relevant information that they possess, except if and when those nations are at war with any WA members;

As such it is reasonable that this optionality come with certain strings attached, since those nations are still completely able to choose not to follow the legislation.

Bears Armed wrote:In the light of recent events in the GA, I've thought it best to seek confirmation that the Mods won't regard my proposal on Prevention of Wildfires as mis-categorised and say that because of sub-clause '1.v.' -- and despite its sub-clauses that would increase police & military spending (i.e. '1.i' & '2.iii' respsectively) -- it should fall under 'Global Disarmament' rather than (as I'm currently classifying it) 'International Security' instead.
If anybody does try to argue for that interpretation then I'd counter-argue that '1.v' not only doesn't require nations to get rid of any weapons but only limits where they could be used and that as one of the likeliest reasons for burning down enemy nations' forests is because that's cheaper than training one's own troops for fighting in that environment the overall effect would probably be an increase in training costs that outweighed any associated reduction in armaments costs anyhows...

The International Security Category is appropriate for this resolution as it is currently written. The emphasis of the resolution is boosting the requisite budgets in order to combat the threat of wildfires, whereas the section requiring the outlawing of utilizing wildfires as a form of weaponry (in specific circumstances) is a minor section of the proposal that does not outweigh the generally IntSec nature of the text.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 am

"My thanks, and my national government's thanks, to the Secretariat for this answer to our concerns."

*(sends over an appropriate number of gift basket of this nation's produce, including a large jar of high-quality honey and a large bottle of high-quality maple syrup as well as assorted fruits and nuts... Oh, and some cheese as well...)*
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Myre Isles
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Myre Isles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:32 am

If it is not to late to send in our regards, we as a nation believe this to be a favorable act. Our many forests are too often at risk, but we do take what precautions we can. We believe this act will be very great boon to our efforts. We offer our full support towards the success of this movement.
~Regards, the Nation of the Myre Isles
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - The President, Dr.Strangelove
My favourite Doctor is the Eleventh but I can't say I dislike any of the ones I've seen so far. (Note that I've not seen the series prior to the 9th nor past the 11th)
Yes I watch My Little Pony. No I am not a fanatical zealot who will hate you for disliking it.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:29 am

What is the force of "instructs"? Is it on a require/mandate/enjoin level, or is it more like recommend/suggest/urge?

Also not really sure what wilderness or semi-wilderness areas actually are. Might it be better to use a definition that instead concentrates on areas where, if a fire were started, that fire would then be likely to become uncontrollable? Using uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war probably wouldn't be problematic in a jungle wilderness environment, or a desert wilderness environment, because it still wouldn't lead to uncontrollable fire breaking out. But using it in certain non-wilderness areas that nonetheless had the potential for uncontrollable fires to develop, such as slum districts with a lot of flammable housing materials, would be dangerous. So for 1. (v), I'm suggesting something like:

"Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon or tool of war in areas from which the fires would be likely to develop into uncontrollable fires or to spread into other such areas."

You've also unnecessarily capitalised "fire" in 2. (i).

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:29 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:What is the force of "instructs"? Is it on a require/mandate/enjoin level, or is it more like recommend/suggest/urge?

Also not really sure what wilderness or semi-wilderness areas actually are. Might it be better to use a definition that instead concentrates on areas where, if a fire were started, that fire would then be likely to become uncontrollable? Using uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war probably wouldn't be problematic in a jungle wilderness environment, or a desert wilderness environment, because it still wouldn't lead to uncontrollable fire breaking out. But using it in certain non-wilderness areas that nonetheless had the potential for uncontrollable fires to develop, such as slum districts with a lot of flammable housing materials, would be dangerous. So for 1. (v), I'm suggesting something like:

"Refrain from the use of uncontrolled fire as a weapon or tool of war in areas from which the fires would be likely to develop into uncontrollable fires or to spread into other such areas."

"Jungle and desert environments are actually just as likely to suffer from uncontrolled wildfires as a traditional temperate forest. Not all deserts are full of sand dunes, and not all jungles are soaking wet. Unless there is literally no vegetation, there's a legitimate risk."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:32 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Jungle and desert environments are actually just as likely to suffer from uncontrolled wildfires as a traditional temperate forest. Not all deserts are full of sand dunes, and not all jungles are soaking wet. Unless there is literally no vegetation, there's a legitimate risk."

Not my point, at all. I am talking about areas with very low vegetation, like a salt flat. Using "wilderness area" is unnecessarily vague.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:57 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:What is the force of "instructs"? Is it on a require/mandate/enjoin level, or is it more like recommend/suggest/urge?
I was meaning it as "Tells them to" sense, i.e. at what you're calling "the 'require/mandate/enjoin level" (although I might ask a similar question about strength if I saw somebody else use "enjoin" in such a situation): Not obvious enough,really? I'll reconsider this choice..

Also not really sure what wilderness or semi-wilderness areas actually are.
By my intention, it means those areas that are neither urban nor farmland (except perhaps for significantly wide areas of "unimproved" grazing land). Again, seriously, not clear enough?
Might it be better to use a definition that instead concentrates on areas where, if a fire were started, that fire would then be likely to become uncontrollable? Using uncontrolled fire as a weapon of war probably wouldn't be problematic in a jungle wilderness environment, or a desert wilderness environment, because it still wouldn't lead to uncontrollable fire breaking out. But using it in certain non-wilderness areas that nonetheless had the potential for uncontrollable fires to develop, such as slum districts with a lot of flammable housing materials, would be dangerous. So for 1. (v), I'm suggesting something like:

Leaving aside the point that this proposal's main emphasis was originally supposed to be Fire specifically in wilder areas (such as, obviously, forests...), if I try to prohibit the use of incendiaries against targets in urban areas then I'd be seriously worried about the militaristic element that's apparently rather strong in the WA's current membership voting the whole proposal down because of that point...
:(
But I will think further about the definition.

In those cases I was talking about 'Fire' as the fundamental concept, rather than just as a potentially-underway process, and capitalising it there for that reason seemed arguably right: Doing so certainly follows 'Urso-English' standards, anyhows... but I'll probably change those "f"s to lower-case before submission.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:41 am

Bears Armed wrote:I was meaning it as "Tells them to" sense, i.e. at what you're calling "the 'require/mandate/enjoin level" (although I might ask a similar question about strength if I saw somebody else use "enjoin" in such a situation): Not obvious enough,really?

No, I was genuinely curious. If you say it has the force, then it's fine.
Bears Armed wrote:Leaving aside the point that this proposal's main emphasis was originally supposed to be Fire specifically in wilder areas (such as, obviously, forests...), if I try to prohibit the use of incendiaries against targets in urban areas then I'd be seriously worried about the militaristic element that's apparently rather strong in the WA's current membership voting the whole proposal down because of that point...

That's fair.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:27 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:You've also unnecessarily capitalised "fire" in 2. (i).
In those cases I was talking about 'Fire' as the fundamental concept, rather than just as a potentially-underway process, and capitalising it there for that reason seemed arguably right: Doing so certainly follows 'Urso-English' standards, anyhows... but I'll probably change those "f"s to lower-case before submission.

"Fire" replaced by "fires" in that sub-clause.

if the submissions list stays this quiet overnight then I'll probably submit the proposal tomorrow.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:55 am

Submitted: Please approve.
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Westerhoff
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Westerhoff » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 am

The Kingdom of Westerhoff approves this proposal.

Our support for this is due to the responsibility of neighboring nations to keep others well-informed in environmental changes and the provision that discusses the use of fire as a tactic or means to shape the battlefield while at war. Such strategy could needlessly harm innocent farmsteads and the lives of citizens that are not considered combatants.

Starvation Is Fun
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

[NEW TITLE] Prevention of Wildfires

Postby Starvation Is Fun » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

Bears Armed Mission wrote:Submitted: Please approve.

Not often I actually involve myself in the WA these days beyond voting for what my region's citizens ask me to, but I figured I might as well pop in and approve this one :p
Sebtopiaris wrote:I like the way you think.
I'll give you the TOLERANT AND TOLERABLE CHRISTIAN WAFER-AWARD. You are the award's first recipient. Congratulations.

Magical Mystery Machine wrote:I read somewhere that bisexual people don't have friends, only prey.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 am

Starvation Is Fun wrote:
Bears Armed Mission wrote:Submitted: Please approve.

Not often I actually involve myself in the WA these days beyond voting for what my region's citizens ask me to, but I figured I might as well pop in and approve this one :p

Thank you.

Pennswald
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pennswald » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 pm

While Pennswald applauds the intent of this proposal, we cannot in good conscience support it as currently worded. It is our opinion that resolutions should be clear and concise. This proposal is neither.

For example:
Realising that although most nations probably have fairly adequate measures in place for controlling fires in urban areas some might not yet have extended those systems to cover their more rural areas effectively too, and that the best ways for managing fires in rural areas — especially in wilderness — may differ from those useful at more urban sites anyway,

might be more clearly expressed as:
Realizing that controlling fires in urban areas is a priority, therefore some nations may not yet have adequate measures in place for controlling fires in rural areas and wilderness.

Every clause in this proposal requires additional polishing--personally I'd begin with #80 sandpaper and work my way to the 0000 steel wool.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

Wildfires are an incredibly destructive force and indiscriminate in their effects. In this way they are not unlike weapons of mass destruction. As the Kawaiian people are opposed to WMDs of any kind, even nontraditional ones such as maliciously-set wildfires or other forms of environmental destruction, we support this proposal and approve it for voting.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Soled
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soled » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:28 pm

On behalf of the USSR, As the Socialist Republic of Soled, i Approve of this resolution.
Just so ya know, this is my first time getting involved in the WA since forever.
Member of Tiandi and Ajax
Norwegian | they/them and she/her pronouns

The Nevadan Desert
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nevadan Desert » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:31 pm

From, the President of the Nevadan Desert:
How would the World Assembly ensure that this resolution strike a balance between environmental protection and industry? This is a real concern of the people of my nation, and they demand an answer. Thank you, and God bless.
-Joko Quails, President and Chief Diplomat of the Nevadan Desert
Republic of the Nevadan Desert:
Population: 2.5 million, founded October 1864 (Independence 2000)

All posts made before 10/29/15 null.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:23 am

The Nevadan Desert wrote:
From, the President of the Nevadan Desert:
How would the World Assembly ensure that this resolution strike a balance between environmental protection and industry? This is a real concern of the people of my nation, and they demand an answer. Thank you, and God bless.
-Joko Quails, President and Chief Diplomat of the Nevadan Desert

If you need to clear land for industrial purposes then using controlled fires -- with suitable personnel & equipment on paw in case of trouble -- would be acceptable...
And wouldn't uncontrolled fire be as much of a threat to any industry in the vicinity as it is to anything else there?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:06 pm

*gets out super glue to sticky the topic now that it's At Vote*
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:09 pm

"RRAWR"? Cute but very silly indeed. Still voted in favor. :)

Cekan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 31, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:08 pm

This sounds like a good thing, so ya I voted for.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:34 am

Wrapper wrote:"RRAWR"? Cute but very silly indeed.

"t's the Ursine word for "Fire": What's so silly about that?

"When a human says
"Rrawr" in praise of something they are, we presume, borrowing the Ursine word for use as an alternative to the English "Hot!"...
"Hrright?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives