NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: International Postal Union

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Ethan Oglesbee wrote:Though there may be safe guards that will be set in place after the creation of the IPU, I feel that this resolution leaves too many holes in policy that could make it easier to smuggle items from nation to nation. If the resolution would be revised to more clearly define what authority each individual nation would still hold to screen the mail being delivered by the IPU I would be more inclined to vote for it. Until then I regrettably with have to oppose this resolution and hopefully others will see my concern. I would like to make it clear, though, that i do in fact support this idea, I am just worried about execution.

On behalf of the Empire,
Ethan Oglesbee

We would like to remind the ambassador that while it may sound a wonderful idea to completely delineate what each and every nation may or may not do, there is a 3500 word limit on these resolutions. There is also no prohibition to each nations postal services setting policies of their own. Objections based on minutia, things which are under the control of the individual postal services do not serve as a good basis for objection. This proposal is about the delivery of international mail, not to micromanage the internal workings of each and every postal system or service.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

United Habsburg
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Habsburg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:01 pm

From the Offices of the Newly Appointed, Supreme Postmaster To His Grace The Emperor
"Goody! This is precisely what we need! Wooooooohoooooooooooo! International Postal Union! Postal workers Unite! Oh sorry.........." trails into an embarrassed silence.
as reported by His loyal Secretary.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Brikkel just shakes his head and heads out to the ambassadors club.

Not Ta'veren

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 am

Finally. A competent resolution that does not involve the Security Council. This will surely increase efficiency for transporting goods and increase the amount of gold in my coffers. Except for section 6, the fee part. That is quite an extortion, it should have a limit on the fee or some sort. But I guess it is menial. Regardless, I will note that the Norsican Board will support this resolution. Well Done.

Sincerely,
Ambassador Martin Slyman
Norsican Foreign Relations Divsion
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Telfanis
Secretary

Founded: Oct 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Telfanis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 am

We have observed the formation of this resolution and gladly support it now that it is at vote.
-Excerpt from a statement issued by the Telfani High Council
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.38
Nemada

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:11 am

2a.ii. EMPHASISES that the definition of the freedom of transit does not imply that a member state is obliged to allow postal administrations to traverse its territory, in order to deliver postal items;
Are we talking a lack of obligation to allow foreign postal workers in our own territories or am I reading this wrong? This clause isn't clear to me. I would much rather have seen a resolution that didn't allow people to opt out of delivering things for frivolous reasons, but this is better than nothing.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:52 am

Areith wrote:and if this proves an issue an amendment can be added.

No, it can't: Amending passed WA resolutions is against the organisation's rules.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 am

Norstal wrote:Finally. A competent resolution that does not involve the Security Council. This will surely increase efficiency for transporting goods and increase the amount of gold in my coffers. Except for section 6, the fee part. That is quite an extortion, it should have a limit on the fee or some sort. But I guess it is menial. Regardless, I will note that the Norsican Board will support this resolution. Well Done.

Sincerely,
Ambassador Martin Slyman
Norsican Foreign Relations Divsion

Section 6 is a balance between profit and fairness: the debate originally suggested flat fees, but the ambassadors complained about distance. Then we suggested any fees, then they complained about fairness. So now we settled for the phrase reasonable fee, plain and simple, and its an operative clause.

Golgoglot
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgoglot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:07 am

Golgoglot will abstain from voting until such time that we are able to understand the resolution ourselves and better evaluate the discussion thus far.

[OOC: And maybe after I can get a good night's sleep...]
Sir and Dr. Bernard Godlis, Foreign Affairs High Office
The Sacred Eternity of Golgoglot
There Above the Starry Canopy, A Great G-d Will Reward

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:43 am

The Magic Spirit wrote:
2a.ii. EMPHASISES that the definition of the freedom of transit does not imply that a member state is obliged to allow postal administrations to traverse its territory, in order to deliver postal items;
Are we talking a lack of obligation to allow foreign postal workers in our own territories or am I reading this wrong? This clause isn't clear to me. I would much rather have seen a resolution that didn't allow people to opt out of delivering things for frivolous reasons, but this is better than nothing.

That was inserted mostly at one members request as they continued to insist, despite myriad explanations, that this proposal somehow permitted foreign postal workers to enter foreign nations and deliver the mail even though that was not the case, so the clause was added to "prove" that the post office of country A was responsible for country A, and the postal service of country B was responsible for country B, and that postal workers from country A could not enter country B with impunity to deliver their letters.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 am

Golgoglot wrote:Golgoglot will abstain from voting until such time that we are able to understand the resolution ourselves and better evaluate the discussion thus far.

This resolution, in a nut shell, provides for the efficient and timely delivery of mail between nations without surcharge, letter class reduction or delay. Thats all. It is an international postal treaty for all WA members.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:12 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Golgoglot wrote:Golgoglot will abstain from voting until such time that we are able to understand the resolution ourselves and better evaluate the discussion thus far.

This resolution, in a nut shell, provides for the efficient and timely delivery of mail between nations without surcharge, letter class reduction or delay. Thats all. It is an international postal treaty for all WA members.

Ms. SARAH HARPER: It's like GA #51 except it is postal. Since the IHACC came into effect, disaster recovery has increased in most member states observed. The IPU aims to follow the success story of the IHACC in the world of mail. and as the honoured ambassador to Grays Harbour says, it's all in a nutshell.

We have already highlighted the problems and inefficiencies that will result without the IPU and her IRC: Let's focus on the IRC for this part: without it, civilians would be wasting money for postage for the reply letters as the original sender is clearly unable to create a standard return envelope that would be accepted everywhere, like these ones in our country:
The problem when sending form another country back to home is that the national postal administration of that country may have a different service that may not recognise our envelopes. It may also be that the stated postage is too insufficient to send. Since the postal rates varies from country to country when replying to a service in Charlotte Ryberg, there needs to be a universal coupon in which it would work everywhere, even if it came from Charlotte Ryberg. This is where the IRC comes in. An example of the benefits of the IRC is that the responders do not have to pay for the postage with the coupon, which is beneficial to poorer countries. This will mean that a supplier that sells collapsible water bottles by mail order to developing countries will get more replies and orders, and the profit they really deserve.

This along with the freedom of transit, in which all member states must observe: it will also respect independence of the national postal administrations as they will be able to set their own fees, yet fair to discourage discrimination.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:

Ms. SARAH HARPER: It's like GA #51 except it is postal. Since the IHACC came into effect, disaster recovery has increased in most member states observed. The IPU aims to follow the success story of the IHACC in the world of mail. and as the honoured ambassador to Grays Harbour says, it's all in a nutshell.

We have already highlighted the problems and inefficiencies that will result without the IPU and her IRC: Let's focus on the IRC for this part: without it, civilians would be wasting money for postage for the reply letters as the original sender is clearly unable to create a standard return envelope that would be accepted everywhere, like these ones in our country:
The problem when sending form another country back to home is that the national postal administration of that country may have a different service that may not recognise our envelopes. It may also be that the stated postage is too insufficient to send. Since the postal rates varies from country to country when replying to a service in Charlotte Ryberg, there needs to be a universal coupon in which it would work everywhere, even if it came from Charlotte Ryberg. This is where the IRC comes in. An example of the benefits of the IRC is that the responders do not have to pay for the postage with the coupon, which is beneficial to poorer countries. This will mean that a supplier that sells collapsible water bottles by mail order to developing countries will get more replies and orders, and the profit they really deserve.

This along with the freedom of transit, in which all member states must observe: it will also respect independence of the national postal administrations as they will be able to set their own fees, yet fair to discourage discrimination.

We really need to employ a better speechwriter for our Embassy, preferably one from Charlotte Ryberg. Our statement appears so bland next to the fine explanation from Ms Harper and her staff.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 am

After careful thought and consideration, the Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval has elected to vote against this resolution in its current form. While we were pleased to assist in the development of earlier drafts, the more recent inclusions by Her Excellency Ms. Harper have left Krioval wanting a more compact and direct piece of legislation. Also, we are troubled that our statements to this effect were categorically ignored, and that the authors continue to spend more time congratulating one another for what amounts to confusing and possibly self-contradictory language in a resolution.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:49 pm

No unions!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Sadiston wrote:No unions!

:blink:

This is a "Union", as in a treaty and association of nations, not a "union" as in a labour organization. I am not certain where you get the idea it is the latter as that is nowhere in the text. Unless it is that you didn't read past the title.

Not Ta'veren

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:00 pm

The final form of this looks quite appealing, its nice to see debate in the fetal stage strengthened it. Serrland will vote in favor of this.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 pm

That the debate stayed civil and on topic for as long as it did rather surprised us as well, knowing how things usually go here. We too are quite pleased with the way it turned out, and are grateful to all who made suggestions and comments.

Not Ta'veren

The Swiss Guardsmen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Swiss Guardsmen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 pm

I applaud the effort being put into this project (a rather daring one if I may say). The Holy Empire of The Swiss Guardsmen is always welcoming to the supporters of expanding global finance capital, and it is our belief that the passing of this proposal is a crucial cornerstone to expanding the global view to a "larger picture."
✵ Nation Name: The Sanctified Dominion of Veltria
✵ Government: Unitary One-Party Theocratic Republic
✵ Demonym: "Veltrian"
✵ Membership: ;_;
Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:
District XIV wrote:Swiss's post makes me wonder why I don't make posts like dat

Yeah. They actually inspire hatred in me. That's pretty good.
Catholic, right-wing integralist with a dash of imperial hubris. Also a Tolkien nut and board game fanatic! :D

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Seriously, get over yourself. The resolution talks about "INTERNATIONAL union", not a frickin' labor union. God... idiot
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:32 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

*snippic*

Seriously, get over yourself. The resolution talks about "INTERNATIONAL union", not a frickin' labor union. God... idiot

Be nice, they may have just misread it.

Not Ta'veren

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Aegara is currently the only big delegate to have voted against...

...which basically makes this resolution even more legitimate in the eyes of everyone else. :lol2:
Last edited by A mean old man on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Maxaxle
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxaxle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Who the heck voted against?

Massachussets Bay
Secretary

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Massachussets Bay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Maxaxle wrote:Who the heck voted against?

Again: read clause 4b.

But the Commonwealth's arguments fall on deaf ears.

Regards.
Commonwealth of Massachussets Bay, Berkshire, Cape Cod, and Nantucket
Speaker of the People’s Assembly: Alenka NicDhòmhnaill (EX)

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Massachussets Bay wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:Who the heck voted against?

Again: read clause 4b.

But the Commonwealth's arguments fall on deaf ears.

Regards.

4. SPECIFIES that:

b) Member states may determine procedures for handling hazardous materials in postal administrations under their jurisdiction, and to determine which items may or may not be transmitted through their postal system; including but not limited to hazardous or illegal materials;

We also do not see where your arguments have fallen on "deaf ears". Many have responded to your initial statement, many have pointed out an unreasonable nation generally can and will subvert most anything to their own purposes, and we do not see how this is any different. It is not unreasonable to permit individual nations determine what may or may not pass through their postal systems. There are many different cultures, and non-human species which this will cover. What may be completely inocuous to one may be deadly to another.

Just because many choose to debate against your point does not qualify as "deaf ears", but as a difference of perspective or point of view.

Not Ta'veren

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives