NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED]Liberate St Abbaddon

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alpha Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Empire » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 am

Liberation proposal, okay let's see what we have here...

-Region is not password protected (well that's not a good start)
-Region news definitely claims a raid (Not the only req for a liberation proposal though...)
-Possible publicity stunt (OOC politics is outside my realm hehe)
-One native claims to know the internal politics (Seems to have a good idea whats going on)
-Natives apparently weren't even notified (Not exactly a good thing)
-And unknown puppet writes the proposal (Stuff like that is important you know)

Is that somewhat right? Please forgive my gross simplification. No denying the region was raided of course.
Well maybe defenders will do something about this. The Alpha Empire reads through every debate and proposal carefully but this seems out of our grasps. We will abstain but will continue to monitor for new development.

Charax
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Charax » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Alpha Empire wrote:Liberation proposal, okay let's see what we have here...

-Region is not password protected (well that's not a good start)
-Region news definitely claims a raid (Not the only req for a liberation proposal though...)
-Possible publicity stunt (OOC politics is outside my realm hehe)
-One native claims to know the internal politics (Seems to have a good idea whats going on)
-Natives apparently weren't even notified (Not exactly a good thing)
-And unknown puppet writes the proposal (Stuff like that is important you know)

Is that somewhat right? Please forgive my gross simplification. No denying the region was raided of course.
Well maybe defenders will do something about this. The Alpha Empire reads through every debate and proposal carefully but this seems out of our grasps. We will abstain but will continue to monitor for new development.

You should read through this until you find the post by Cormac that explains all this.
Minister of WA Affairs, Balder
◆◆◆

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Also I have the sneaking suspicion this won't get repealed as quickly as folks thought. ;)
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Alpha Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Empire » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Charax wrote:You should read through this until you find the post by Cormac that explains all this.

On how gullible the security council can be right? Yeah saw that... couldn't quite defend the SC with a reply either :lol:

The Democratic States of LibertarianLand
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic States of LibertarianLand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:13 pm

OOC: I am new to this game and so I am not sure what is going on. Ive just been creating my own internal factbook for my nation answering the issues and trying to get established in my region by making relations with my neighbors and being involved. I joined the WA to get involved in the GA and maybe make allies with other nations and generally role play. I have seen on the site talks about raids but i havent looked into that aspect of game play nor does it intrest me im focused more on diplomacy. Anyway I saw there was a Security Council I decided I wasnt going to get involved...as my nation is founded on the principle of live and let live. Libertarian i dont tell others what to do they dont tell me what to do sort of thing. (Though I understand that is kind of the point of the WA to arbitrate and create international rules. Telling other countries how to behave...) maybe i can make relations with other nations and take part in the WA and kind of ron paul it so to speak..speak out about its over reach in other nations affairs and be MR. NO Vote and not grief anyone too much. I read this post because the region i was assigned to was mentioned TNP. And I wanted to see what was going on. It does seem to me the SC does need overhauled and is a Broken Game Mechanic. Not just any nation should be able to vote on SC matters and make resolutions. Perhaps it needs patterned off the RL Security Council with a perminate number of seats for founding trusted nations/regions/Delegates and a number of rotating members who get voted on every so often. So people who actually know whats going on can have a say and its not a free for all where anyone can jump into the SC and start voting. For the record since im a "nOOb" and i dont know whats going on I am abstaining ill stick with the GA for now. Thank you.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostilities to every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

Pelswick Vonhammerstein
&
Michael Wiltberger
Senior & Vice Delegates to the World Assembly From the The Democratic States of LibertarianLand

MEMBER NATION TO THE NORTH PACIFIC:

Belonging to the REGIONAL ASSEMBLY of TNP, The Diplomatic Corps, and to THE REGIONAL GUARD of TNP and the Auxillary North Pacific Army in the rank of SERGEANT

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:49 pm

Welcome to the game. I'm sorry you landed in this resolution. You can post suggestions to changes in game mechanics in the Technical forum.

A point of clarification: only current WA members can vote, and if they leave the WA their vote is voided. And delegate votes count for every member of their region, so it's kind of like a super vote.
Last edited by Eist on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

The Democratic States of LibertarianLand
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic States of LibertarianLand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 pm

Eist wrote:Welcome to the game. I'm sorry you landed in this resolution. You can post suggestions to changes in game mechanics in the Technical forum.

A point of clarification: only current WA members can vote, and if they leave the WA their vote is voided. And delegate votes count for every member of their region, so it's kind of like a super vote.

Right. I understand all that. From reading all of this though it seems like ALL WA members can vote on security issues. I think that is fine for the General Assembly. But when it comes to Security issues I feel it should be more like the RL Security Coucil. In RL there are almost 200 nations in the GA but only 15 in the SC.

I feel NS should be set up spproprately where every WA member can vote in the GA but only a certian number of seats on the SC. Have nominations and elections every so often to put people on Seats of the SC to decide all this stuff...not merely have a free for all where anyone can sign up for NS join the WA and immediately vote on the SC...i feel that is intellectually dishonest if that makes sense....like the SC shouldnt be open to just anyone to condemn folks or launch liberation campaigns..needs more oversight then making a resolution attaining qurom and getting a vote. Like SC should be reserved for Admins to review cases and have a certian number of seats for players to get voted onto the council and switch them out every so often to keep it democratic and not be an oligharcy....or a free for all either....if that makes sense. Thanks.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostilities to every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

Pelswick Vonhammerstein
&
Michael Wiltberger
Senior & Vice Delegates to the World Assembly From the The Democratic States of LibertarianLand

MEMBER NATION TO THE NORTH PACIFIC:

Belonging to the REGIONAL ASSEMBLY of TNP, The Diplomatic Corps, and to THE REGIONAL GUARD of TNP and the Auxillary North Pacific Army in the rank of SERGEANT

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:57 am

I was going to submit the repeal I had written up before I said this, but I'm not even going to waste the twelve bucks on stamps anymore, I just don't give a shit.

This vote proves two things. First, it proves that as Violet always said, raiders could be using the Liberation feature more often if they would just try. Second, comparing this to Haven, you can see how much little people care about the SC now than they used to *cough* Rule IV *cough*. That region was actually passworded, and we were still able to reverse the vote within the voting period..

And this whole raid leads me to say something that truly breaks my heart to utter: I am disgusted by the Gameplay community. I've said numerous times in the past things were far too personal now, too aggressive. I can't believe the way people in NationStates act nowadays. NationStates has some truly awesome people, I happen to think Cormac is one of them. But the ratio of Cormacs to trolls grows worse everyday. We have users now who openly discuss on these forums how they wait around IRC for someone to bite their bait and get angry. That's what GP has become, "I bet I can upset this person today!" All day. Every day. I in no way claim that I've never snapped at someone, or said something just to tick someone off, of course we all do that from time to time, but we see a lot of players that do that and just that.

This will be my last post here, I'm going to quietly await the April Fools prank that all NSers live for, and then deuce out. I've enjoyed my involvement with NS over the years, I wish things had gone differently. But hey, it's the internet and it's anonymous, I suppose we were lucky we had the run that we did.

Good luck to Hawkswind and Pseudocholinesterase, and Andrew and Spec if they should make their return eventually. I hope this resolution is eventually struck down and you get what you want. And, uh, sorry about getting snippy SkyDip, this has not been the best couple of weeks for me in-game. I very much like your repeal draft.
AKA Weed

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 am

Topid wrote:I was going to submit the repeal I had written up before I said this, but I'm not even going to waste the twelve bucks on stamps anymore, I just don't give a shit.

This vote proves two things. First, it proves that as Violet always said, raiders could be using the Liberation feature more often if they would just try.

Yes. Truly this is a triumph of fair and balanced play.
Ultramarino wrote:
The Bruce wrote:I know it's annoying, seeing the constant posts of invaders, talking about how much they want to kick whatever region they're in around, but the worse thing you can do is react to them at all. Sad as it is to say, but they kind of feed on other people's suffering. Give them nothing and they soon become bored with their latest invasion. Then after a few weeks they have to leave, to avoid losing members and decreased group activity to boredom.

Ultramarino was a member of St Abbaddon, for quite some time. I pretty much just maintained my nation and minded my own business.

Although I was slightly amused at seeing the raider's regional message, I switched out fairly quick because I'm not interested in raider shenanigans. Send 'Moves Like Jagger' my identity or face banjection? To a nation with such a derivative, inane, and unimaginative name as 'Moves Like Jagger'? Ha! I received a couple telegrams from other extra-regional nations asking why I moved, saying I should have stayed, etc. I would have thought a former regional delegate would have messaged me... nope, so it would seem most residents of St Abbaddon really don't care that it was raided.

Pretty sad that someone would get their jollies off griefing a nation sim game like this. Maybe its their only outlet in life to feel some personal power.
I give you a quote from 'I win again of Mall2' (the nation name says it all, really):
"Burn it to the ground"

Have fun, raiders :)
See? All these tears being wept over natives, they don't even care about their regions. No big deal if we grief the next one Bruce.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Topid wrote:And this whole raid leads me to say something that truly breaks my heart to utter: I am disgusted by the Gameplay community. I've said numerous times in the past things were far too personal now, too aggressive. I can't believe the way people in NationStates act nowadays. NationStates has some truly awesome people, I happen to think Cormac is one of them. But the ratio of Cormacs to trolls grows worse everyday. We have users now who openly discuss on these forums how they wait around IRC for someone to bite their bait and get angry. That's what GP has become, "I bet I can upset this person today!" All day. Every day. I in no way claim that I've never snapped at someone, or said something just to tick someone off, of course we all do that from time to time, but we see a lot of players that do that and just that.

This will be my last post here, I'm going to quietly await the April Fools prank that all NSers live for, and then deuce out. I've enjoyed my involvement with NS over the years, I wish things had gone differently. But hey, it's the internet and it's anonymous, I suppose we were lucky we had the run that we did.

So how do you fix a toxic community? I agree with you, there is a massive problem. But I don't think leaving is a solution.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:
Topid wrote:And this whole raid leads me to say something that truly breaks my heart to utter: I am disgusted by the Gameplay community. I've said numerous times in the past things were far too personal now, too aggressive. I can't believe the way people in NationStates act nowadays. NationStates has some truly awesome people, I happen to think Cormac is one of them. But the ratio of Cormacs to trolls grows worse everyday. We have users now who openly discuss on these forums how they wait around IRC for someone to bite their bait and get angry. That's what GP has become, "I bet I can upset this person today!" All day. Every day. I in no way claim that I've never snapped at someone, or said something just to tick someone off, of course we all do that from time to time, but we see a lot of players that do that and just that.

So how do you fix a toxic community? I agree with you, there is a massive problem. But I don't think leaving is a solution.

You banject all of Empire.

Wait sorry wrong region. Gameplay now is far more civilized than the horror stories we hear from gameplay a decade ago. Calm down.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Festavo wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:
:rofl: This ought to go well... (makes popcorn)

Just wait...I am organizing a coalition!

So how did your coalition work out? :rofl:
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:19 pm

I got tired of waiting on defenders, so I'm going to go ahead and repeal this myself.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives