NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Condemn The Dourian Embassy

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] Condemn The Dourian Embassy

Postby Ramaeus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:21 am

The Security Council,

Proclaiming The Dourian Embassy as a nation responsible for usurping authority in the region of Osiris, and who, after usurping authority, led a particularly violent purge in that region,

Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent coup, one which resulted in the ejection of thousands of nations,

Angered that, during Douria's coup, Osiris was made a protectorate of Gatesville inc – a region known for its stance against this council- and perturbed that the nation of The Dourian Embassy, a nation with a tremendous amount of influence in Osiris, was pathetically thrown to foreigners for the duration of the coup,

Disturbed that the behemoth of Osiris was made a protectorate of Gatesville inc, and aware that no justification can atone for that egregious action,

Outraged over Douria's attempts at destroying this assembly through repealing resolutions which brought benefit to a wide variety of nations, the resolutions Douria has repealed include, but are not limited to:

• GA#3 The Right to Fair Trial,
  • GA#54 Dignified End of Life Choices,
  • GA#228 Animal Protection Act,
  • GA#248 Against Corruption,

Believing that The Dourian Embassy is a nation which has caused a significant amount of destruction, damage, and grief, and whose continued escape from punishment constitutes as a severe embarrassment to this council,

Hereby Condemns The Dourian Embassy.

The Security Council,

Proclaiming The Dourian Embassy as a nation which had usurped authority within the region of Osiris, and whose usurpation led to a series of destructive coups within that region,

Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent and destructive coup, one which resulted in the ejection of thousands of nations, and the suppression of freedoms,

Angered that, during Douria's coup, Osiris was made a protectorate of Gatesville inc – a region known for its stance against this council- and perturbed that the nation of The Dourian Embassy was pathetically thrown to foreigners for the duration of the coup,

Disturbed by Douria's motivations for the coup: an arbitrary need for violence and the destruction of a region they supposedly served,

Outraged over Douria's attempts at destroying this assembly through repealing resolutions which brought benefit to a wide variety of nations, the resolutions Douria has repealed include, but are not limited to:

• Against Corruption,
  • The Right to Fair Trial

Believing that The Dourian Embassy is a nation which has caused a significant amount of destruction, damage, and grief, and whose continued escape from punishment constitutes as a severe embarrassment to this council,

Second draft up. I believe this addresses most of the critiques. Any comments, questions, critiques, additions?
Last edited by Sedgistan on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Just some weeb.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:40 pm

I have a draft on the forums floating about if it's any use to you? :)

Edit - Also, considering they good work they are presently doing in Osiris, considerably so, I'd strike that mention out ;)
Last edited by Abacathea on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Abacathea wrote:I have a draft on the forums floating about if it's any use to you? :)

Edit - Also, considering they good work they are presently doing in Osiris, considerably so, I'd strike that mention out ;)

Alright, I'll take a look. See if I missed anything.
Which part specifically, Aba?
Just some weeb.

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Again? Sigh.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Eist wrote:Again? Sigh.

Lol. Yes, again.
Just some weeb.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 am

Aha. Finally.

I don't know that the Osiris stuff has to be left out, it does seem mostly accurate(it doesn't say, for example, that I kicked out thousands of nations, just that my actions resulted in such happening). I'd wait for a comment from another Osirian official(the current pharaoh, raven for example) before I struck it out entirely. As for repeals of mine that sounds sinister... Repeal "Animal Protection Act", Repeal "Protection of Outer Space Act", Repeal "Cultural Heritage Protection", and
Repeal "Dignified End of Life Choices" come to mind as well.

I was just thinking about mocking this council by condemning myself a fourth time as well, so this is timely.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

the Imperial Crown
Envoy

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby the Imperial Crown » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 am

I'm going to dissect this and add my own commentary - I think that I am one of, if not the best person to comment on Osiris and Douria's history in the region here.

My comments will start with [tIC:] and be in this colour.

Douria has asked me to weigh in on this, as the current delegate of Osiris, and as someone who watched his rise in Osiris and was watching his fall as well.

Ramaeus wrote:
The Security Council,

Proclaiming The Dourian Embassy as a nation which had usurped authority within the region of Osiris, and whose usurpation led to a series of destructive coups within that region, [tIC: Incorrect. There has not been a coup in Osiris since his. Osiris did, with support of the members of the Government, and later support of the citizens, dissolve the foundations of the Kemetic Republic of Osiris in October/November 2013. The successor to Detective Figs, Venico, did, declare a new Government which has brought law and order to Osiris officially and for the first time since June 2013, elected a new Pharaoh/Delegate (myself).]

Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent and destructive coup, one which resulted in the ejection of thousands of nations, and the suppression of freedoms, [tIC: How? Yes, many nations were ejected but the high influence nations which existed in Osiris were untouchable, and thus the region would have been difficult to hold in the long term. No lasting damage was done and the past six months has repaired most of the damage, numbers aren't much different to what they were before the event and the community is more active than the one which existed during the events of July.]

Angered that, during Douria's coup, Osiris was made a protectorate of Gatesville inc – a region known for its stance against this council- and perturbed that the nation of The Dourian Embassy was pathetically thrown to foreigners for the duration of the coup, [tIC: Perhaps you should comment on the influential state of the nation at the time? It was one of the higher influential nations in the region at that point due to the endorsements it had held since October 2012. You definitely have a good starting point here but I think it needs fattening up.]

Disturbed by Douria's motivations for the coup: an arbitrary need for violence and the destruction of a region they supposedly served, [tIC: His motivations have never been clear cut in this, and they remain a point of debate for many people, including my cabinet as well as my predecessors. He has presented two or more various "explanations" for his actions. The first, in July, saying that "he had planned it from the start as part of his To-Do list", the other, presented more recently was to "remove Biyah" from the community. Perhaps both could be included, or perhaps you should discuss this further with him?]

• Against Corruption,
  • The Right to Fair Trial

[tIC: Quaint. How would it destroy this assembly as it would need support of the members of this assembly in order to pass the repeals? Anyhow, you should list the repeals that he's been involved in that you feel are detrimental to the Assembly.]

Believing that The Dourian Embassy is a nation which has caused a significant amount of destruction, damage, and grief, and whose continued escape from punishment constitutes as a severe embarrassment to this council, [tIC: Interesting point, yet he is also a profilic GA author who has done a lot of work for the General Assembly in the art of cutting red tape and restoring national sovreignty over a collective government body, so you may need to explain why it is an embarrassment, he has since made attempts to right the wrongs he was involved in and is serving Osiris' new government and legislature.]

Not my best effort, but serviceable, I think. Any comments, questions, critiques, additions?
Last edited by the Imperial Crown on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Lord Ravenclaw -
10th Pharaoh and World Assembly Delegate
First Pharaoh of House Ravenclaw
= The Desert Star of Osiris =
5th April 2012 - 29th May 2014

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:36 am

the Imperial Crown wrote:tIC: His motivations have never been clear cut in this, and they remain a point of debate for many people, including my cabinet as well as my predecessors. He has presented two or more various "explanations" for his actions. The first, in July, saying that "he had planned it from the start as part of his To-Do list", the other, presented more recently was to "remove Biyah" from the community. Perhaps both could be included, or perhaps you should discuss this further with him?

Not to mention all the other explanations I made in the mean time. Boy howdy, if I'm going to have a past, I'd rather it be multiple choice.

Frattastan II
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frattastan II » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:59 am

Arbitrary or not, planned out from the beginning or decided on a whim, what matters is that no "explanation" can possibly justify handing over a sinker region to Gatesville. That should be said, if anything.

Trying to explain in the proposal whatever motive Douria had would sound more like apologism than an attempt at accuracy.
Last edited by Frattastan II on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rejected Realms Army High Commander
(So you've been ejected..., forum, news, RRA)
<@Guy> well done, fuckhead.
* @Guy claps for frattastan

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 am

Not to mention the fact that I have never once actually apologized for it. That oughta be included as well.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Time to redraft.
Last edited by Ramaeus on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just some weeb.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Second draft is up. Thoughts?
Just some weeb.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:Not to mention the fact that I have never once actually apologized for it. That oughta be included as well.

OOC: Except for one small little detail. It wasn't you that committed those atrocities.... It was Durk. Remember?
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Ramaeus wrote:Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent coup, one which resulted in Douria personally ejecting thousands of nations from Osiris,

This is mostly incorrect, I outsourced that work. Your original declaiming from the first draft was fine, except the part at the very end.

Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent and destructive coup, one which resulted in the ejection of thousands of nations,
would be a better choice...

Edit: Fucking ninja'd. I've been waiting for NS to come up for an hour to post that.

Chester Pearson wrote:
The Dourian Embassy wrote:Not to mention the fact that I have never once actually apologized for it. That oughta be included as well.

OOC: Except for one small little detail. It wasn't you that committed those atrocities.... It was Durk. Remember?

Yeah we're not talking about the ejections, we were talking about the actual couping event. Which I did do.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:22 am

Chester Pearson wrote:

Durk may fired the bullets, but Douria bought the gun, filed down the serial number gave it a new set of sights and shortened the barrel before giving it to Durk.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Venico
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Venico » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Against. A single act should not be worthy of a commend or a condemn. Plus his extensive work to repair Osiris in the OFO and his WA work has improved the Assembly. These kind of negate his bad act. This is why it is better to do a commend/condemn on a pattern, it allows a better picture to be drawn.
Priest of Raider Unity

Raider Unity, Maintain a Founder, Sign a Treaty

Malice Never Dies...

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
This is mostly incorrect, I outsourced that work. Your original declaiming from the first draft was fine, except the part at the very end.

Declaiming The Dourian Embassy's coup of Osiris as an example of an incredibly violent and destructive coup, one which resulted in the ejection of thousands of nations,
would be a better choice...

Alright, I changed that little clause. I don't think it's worth a whole new draft.
Just some weeb.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 pm

I submitted this. I might as well try a test run.
Just some weeb.

the Imperial Crown
Envoy

Founded: Apr 17, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby the Imperial Crown » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 am

I've approved it, as I haven't been told otherwise by Douria, even if I do think it's a bit pointless.
- Lord Ravenclaw -
10th Pharaoh and World Assembly Delegate
First Pharaoh of House Ravenclaw
= The Desert Star of Osiris =
5th April 2012 - 29th May 2014

Ahntong
Attaché

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahntong » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 am

I think it is ridiculous and wrong to condemn The Dourian Embassy for its repeal policy. First of all, every nation has the right to submit repeals and this is a normal part of the democratic process of the WA assembly. If there is anything that would destroy the WA, it is condemning a delegate for exercising their right as a delegate. And second, it is not true, as the resolution text suggests, that The Dourian Embassy singlehandedly decided to repeal these resolutions. In fact, they were repealed through majority vote of the WA assembly and this democratic decision has to be respected. If the WA were to pass this resolution it would effectly condemn itself, or at least the nations who have, as a majority of votes, voted to repeal these resolutions. And that again would just undercut the democratic foundations of the council, if the delegates' right to vote as they think right is no longer respect but condemned if it does not fit a preconceived idea of what WA policy should be like.

On these grounds I am utterly opposed to this resolution proposal.
Last edited by Ahntong on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bruce
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am

The Dourian Embassy has become the new NAZI Europe for the Security Council to boot around. This is in part because anyone hearing about what happened in Osiris will find it hard to believe someone did what they did to the region and not being condemned for it. This will continue to happen as long as people stumble across records of the lengthy period of time when Osiris was reduced to being Coupville.

I wouldn't base any condemnation of the Dourian Embassy on what they did in Osiris, because they did absolutely nothing. Giving a condemnation for handing your nation to someone else to burn down the region is a joke. It rewards laziness. If you're going to condemn someone, condemn Gatesville Inc or Durk, the parties responsible for actually doing something. If your participation in a big heist is handing the keys to your car to some gangsters, while you sit at home and watch TV, you aren't a criminal mastermind and shouldn't be singled out as one.

While the Dourian Embassy's assault by repeal on WA legislation is at times regrettable, it's often less regrettable than the assault on WA legislation from a certain nation in a certain Catholic themed region. That said, it is the right of WA member states to put forward repeals and the right of the WA body to decide on whether to act on them.

Strawberrry Fields
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 19, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Strawberrry Fields » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

^Agreed

Plus I don't think you can condemn someone for writing repeals that then get voted on and passed. That makes no sense, the majority of the WA supported the repeal.
No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Once upon a time... Or maybe twice there was an unearthly paradise called Hippy Haven.
See my paintings and various artwork here! :)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Come on guys! I'm a bad man! I deserve to be punished!

*waggles his eyebrows*

This has my full support.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Against.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Strawberrry Fields wrote:^Agreed

Plus I don't think you can condemn someone for writing repeals that then get voted on and passed. That makes no sense, the majority of the WA supported the repeal.

That isn't entirely accurate. The lemmings supported those repeals.
Just some weeb.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives