NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Right of Emigration

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Distributed Republic of Papoon
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Distributed Republic of Papoon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:37 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The Flood wrote:Breathing is now a criminal offence in the Flood, the punishment for which is not being allowed to leave the Flood.
Our hearty congratulations to the author for a job well done. Chalk another mark up for the good guys.

Thbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt. :lol2:

If this is "good guy" legislation, then "bad guys" have nothing to fear. [Jerks thumb at Luveria.] Excuse please. Is nervous tic.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 am

The Distributed Republic of Papoon wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Our hearty congratulations to the author for a job well done. Chalk another mark up for the good guys.

If this is "good guy" legislation, then "bad guys" have nothing to fear. [Jerks thumb at Luveria.] Excuse please. Is nervous tic.

I was voting in favour of it until I realized there are legitimate ways around it like selling the area around the border to a private corporation. Now all I can hope for is that this someday gets repealed and replaced with a proposal I can't find a way around.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 am

Congrats to Aba on the passage of this resolution!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Founded: Oct 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am

DOWN WITH THIS FEEL GOOD RESOLUTION WITH MULTIPLE LOOPHOLES AND IS EXTREMELY USELESS
For: Industry, Power, Robots, Anti-Mormon Doormat Traps, Spaceships
Against: Religion, Religion, Religion, Unicorns, Religion, Religion, Wasabi

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.10

I'm like Gandhi, but with a machine gun.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am

I first thought of the inane loopholes when I saw this proposal.

The Flood wrote:Breathing is now a criminal offence in the Flood, the punishment for which is not being allowed to leave the Flood.

This is now one of those loopholes.

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:I first thought of the inane loopholes when I saw this proposal.

LuvCorp is already working on completing their contract of constructing a barbed wire fence with a concrete wall and a minefield within a 500 meter length going entirely around the country just before the border. It is private corporate property so trespassing will be treated as a criminal offence.
Last edited by Luveria on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:I first thought of the inane loopholes when I saw this proposal.

I withdrew my vote last minute because I just realised - holy freak, what if a stateless person went into the airport (which meant he left the country after getting his stateless or whatever WA-issued passport stamped), and he couldn't return to the country of origin/go to other countries because he failed to meet entry requirements?
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:36 am

The Distributed Republic of Papoon wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Our hearty congratulations to the author for a job well done. Chalk another mark up for the good guys.

Its unfortunate, but, honestly, theres no way we can legislate to avoid that without stamping out private property laws on a wide scale. Or forcing public transit access to certain nations. No, in NS, there will always be a way to keep citizens in. Odd, though, that the tinpot dictators can't see that letting the unhappy ones out, even in limited form, purifies their pool of loyalty to draw from without upsetting the people like a purge would.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:47 am

Luveria wrote:

LuvCorp is already working on completing their contract of constructing a barbed wire fence with a concrete wall and a minefield within a 500 meter length going entirely around the country just before the border. It is private corporate property so trespassing will be treated as a criminal offence.

Yet another, more epic, loophole.

Did anyone think of this or did they all feel good about it without realizing the consequences?

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Yet another, more epic, loophole.

Did anyone think of this or did they all feel good about it without realizing the consequences?

I made a factbook explaining in detail how to accomplish it.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=luve ... /id=208034

I have gone over WA laws, and there is nothing preventing this as I am technically not "circumventing" the resolution in any way, as emigration remains entirely legal.

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Founded: Oct 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:10 am

Someone please repeal this.
For: Industry, Power, Robots, Anti-Mormon Doormat Traps, Spaceships
Against: Religion, Religion, Religion, Unicorns, Religion, Religion, Wasabi

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.10

I'm like Gandhi, but with a machine gun.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am

Voltzenkrad wrote:Someone please repeal this.

Go for it. Get drafting.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Personally, I encourage you to do so as you've been one of the most vocal opponents of it since it came up, citing ludicrous scenarios to back up loopholes that could only be effected by breaching other WA laws.

Furthermore, your theory of buying up all the land around your nation is nonsensical,

a: it requires vast amounts of money and the assumption that the individuals who own the land would be willing to sell it you.

b: unless you're planning on buying public roads as well, your plan has a massive loophole in it, furthermore, unless you're an entirely landlocked nation, you planning on buying up water ways too? Good luck with that. Also, if you're a landlocked nation, how are goods/services going to be provided if the roads for 500 miles surrounding the borders are going to be privatized? If you don't prosecute everyone who uses them, milkmen and all, then fairness in criminal trials trumps. As does a number of other WA resolutions.

You've been barking like an unmuzzled dog the whole way throughout this debate, now either roll over and lie down, or bite. If you're that plexed by this resolution, repeal it, or fail to comply with it. But really, your loud shouting is just becoming annoying at this point, and I'm only sorry I wasn't around more to smack you on the nose.

Elke and Elba wrote:

I withdrew my vote last minute because I just realised - holy freak, what if a stateless person went into the airport (which meant he left the country after getting his stateless or whatever WA-issued passport stamped), and he couldn't return to the country of origin/go to other countries because he failed to meet entry requirements?

That's nowt to do with this resolution, at all. This resolution merely states that it's not affecting current border entry requirements, it never edited/amended them at all. So even without this resolution, that's still a viable scenario.

Mousebumples wrote:Congrats to Aba on the passage of this resolution!

Thank you Mousey, and to Seperatist Peoples and The Dark Star Republic, all of whom not only supported me and helped me refine this to passing standards, but also actively engaged in the debate while I was gone on my behalf, including pointing out to the flying nation that they're already in breach of a Decriminalization of suicide as it stands.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Abacathea wrote:

Personally, I encourage you to do so as you've been one of the most vocal opponents of it since it came up, citing ludicrous scenarios to back up loopholes that could only be effected by breaching other WA laws.

Furthermore, your theory of buying up all the land around your nation is nonsensical,

a: it requires vast amounts of money and the assumption that the individuals who own the land would be willing to sell it you.

b: unless you're planning on buying public roads as well, your plan has a massive loophole in it, furthermore, unless you're an entirely landlocked nation, you planning on buying up water ways too? Good luck with that. Also, if you're a landlocked nation, how are goods/services going to be provided if the roads for 500 miles surrounding the borders are going to be privatized? If you don't prosecute everyone who uses them, milkmen and all, then fairness in criminal trials trumps. As does a number of other WA resolutions.

You've been barking like an unmuzzled dog the whole way throughout this debate, now either roll over and lie down, or bite. If you're that plexed by this resolution, repeal it, or fail to comply with it. But really, your loud shouting is just becoming annoying at this point, and I'm only sorry I wasn't around more to smack you on the nose.

Ahem.

Nations like United Dalaran don't care if they run their entire economy into the ground to keep people entrapped, as that is exactly what United Dalaran has done by crashing their economy through spending all their money on a massive wall around their entire country and cutting themselves off from international commerce.

The 500 meters wide length of land shortly before the Luverian border was state owned and has been sold at an extremely low price through a no-bid contract to a certain private corporation.

As for roads, the roads and services in Luveria were already privatized quite a while ago. That makes the roads already having been private property and thus subject to the whims of their owner(s).

You have yet to point out how the above method is infeasible or illegal according to the below part of the resolution when trespassing on private property makes it unavoidable;

(d) The recipient nation or the nation of origin having probable cause to believe that the individual is traveling for the purpose of committing a crime,

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Actually if your sole argument hinges on this, then it's falling apart on itself.

Lets examine shall we;

(d) The recipient nation or the nation of origin having probable cause to believe that the individual is traveling for the purpose of committing a crime,

You'll find IRL I know criminal law quite well, but we'll keep this IC for the moment. Probable cause was the best possible term to use here couple with "purpose".

If I'm going abroad, and I happen to commit a crime ie; trespassing on private property whilst there, or speeding. That is simply an event that occurred while I was there. If I was going abroad for the purpose and intent of speeding/trespassing, that is an entirely different kettle of fish ambassador. That was a previous mens rea with an actus reus. A previously established guilty mindset, coupled with the eventual guilty act. Both of which are required to make the probable cause and purpose stick, coupled with the evidence you'd have to support your probable cause in the first place.

Now, if you're treating your citizens like animals, detaining them illegally, and doing your utmost to prevent them from leaving as you yourself state, then YOU the state are at fault here for effectively attempting to circumvent this act. By your citizens crossing these lands to escape, 1: the above doesn't come into consideration, because they're not going abroad to commit a crime, they're doing it on your soil, which if anything holds a flimsy argument for section B of this act but not D as you've quoted above, and 2; there's no mens rea ie: no guilty mindset, they're following WA law, which succeeds yours, to leave the nation, is there a guilty act? Yes but we'll come to that in a moment. Essentially, this leaves YOU open to condemnation by the Security Council for specifically and openly doing your damnedest to defy WA law.

Now to my second part, WA law requires fairness in criminal trials, and of that aspect we come back to our guilty mindset, guilty act. Most if not all reasonable governments usually have this system of judicial process (ooc: it's the world used one) except little tinpot dictatorships like yours. (tinpot is actually being too generous a descriptor but still) you could make a case for section B of this act, ie an established arrest warrant, or ongoing legal proceedings even, however, if you again enforce this on all members of your populous, once again it's YOU very clearly at fault and the international spotlight once again falls on your head.

You see, these were never going to be one hundred percent watertight, considering past tech, future tech etc... someone was always going to have some inane way of getting past it, but they were designed that if someone attempted, like yourself, to do their best to circumvent it, it would be extremely obvious to the international community exactly what you were at and thus dealable with via the accepted channels, whereas previously, this didn't exist. We're not stupid, at least 95% of us anyway.

The act itself, if any nation is anyway reasonable, establishes a baseline and platform for nations to work off and with, and if not, makes it very obvious when nations are being arseholes, look at the lengths you've had to go to circumvent it after all. Previously, you wouldn't of even had to do that.

I count this as a successful endeavor and not the fluffy feel good nonsense you and others have referred to it as. And if we still disagree after here, get drafting, I look forward to tearing it apart on the floor ;)
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Nope, I don't care too much if it's repealed or not. Still, I have to stay for regional control.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Oaledonia wrote:Nope, I don't care too much if it's repealed or not. Still, I have to stay for regional control.

A convincing argument, WP Sir.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:Nope, I don't care too much if it's repealed or not. Still, I have to stay for regional control.

A convincing argument, WP Sir.

I don't care about the witty remarks. I joined because the game bars non-WA members from the obvious spot of WA delegate. I'm not following this ICly, for population protection. Want to make comments? I don't care. Call me a bad player? I'll live with it. Do whatever? I wont loose sleep.
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Why not just leave the debate to the rest of us then? It would be better than responding to a well thought out and coherent post with a disdainful "nope".
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Bananaistan wrote:Why not just leave the debate to the rest of us then? It would be better than responding to a well thought out and coherent post with a disdainful "nope".

I don't think I've broken any rules, so I'll post as I please.

Under construction

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:Why not just leave the debate to the rest of us then? It would be better than responding to a well thought out and coherent post with a disdainful "nope".

I don't think I've broken any rules, so I'll post as I please.

Nope just kind of interesting that the author of this is being so condescending towards my resolution.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I don't think I've broken any rules, so I'll post as I please.

Nope just kind of interesting that the author of this is being so condescending towards my resolution.

Opinions change, you of all people should know this.

Under construction

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Abacathea wrote:

Opinions change, you of all people should know this.

I'm not sure why me of all people specifically, if there's something I'm forgetting, please do point it out to me (we'll move it to TGs though :) ). That said, you do still make a fair point, opinions and stances do change and from that I agree to respect your stance even if mine differs.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

The Distributed Republic of Papoon
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Distributed Republic of Papoon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Here is how silly this resolution is.

Let us say your country has done some very bad things, like torture prisoners, kill civilians in war and spy on friendly nations. Let's say a citizen of yours leaks documents proving this and you want to keep him in your country at all costs.

He tries to leave.

Well, it's a matter of a few seconds work to charge him with treason, information piracy and stealing state secrets, isn't it?

Or you could, say, pay a person of the appropriate sex to say your target is a rapist.

Finally, you could just have a doctor from your state-run health care system claim that he is insane.

You now have all the legal ammunition necessary to keep him from going anywhere and the World Assembly's hands are tied.

I know that these are just hypothetical cases which we've never yet seen occur in the world, but they don't seem too far-fetched to me.

If a state wants to stop an individual from leaving, there are plenty of plausible crimes they can be charged with. And once that happens, this resolution has no teeth at all.

So no, even though we voted for the resolution, Papoon won't be joining in the general back-slapping and hand-jobbing of Abacathea. Let us see Abacathea write a resolution that decisively affects a real problem and then we will commence with the congratulations.
Last edited by The Distributed Republic of Papoon on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

The Distributed Republic of Papoon wrote:Here is how silly this resolution is.

Let us say your country has done some very bad things, like torture prisoners, kill civilians in war and spy on friendly nations. Let's say a citizen of yours leaks documents proving this and you want to keep him in your country at all costs.

He tries to leave.

Well, it's a matter of a few seconds work to charge him with treason, information piracy and stealing state secrets, isn't it?

Or you could, say, pay a person of the appropriate sex to say your target is a rapist.

Finally, you could just have a doctor from your state-run health care system claim that he is insane.

You now have all the legal ammunition necessary to keep him from going anywhere and the World Assembly's hands are tied.

I know that these are just hypothetical cases which we've never yet seen occur in the world, but they don't seem too far-fetched to me.

If a state wants to stop an individual from leaving, there are plenty of plausible crimes they can be charged with. And once that happens, this resolution has no teeth at all.

So no, even though we voted for the resolution, Papoon won't be joining in the general back-slapping and hand-jobbing of Abacathea. Let us see Abacathea write a resolution that decisively affects a real problem and then we will commence with the congratulations.

The first two are illegal, and therefore technically impossible for nations to do intentionally. As for access to intelligence issues, that is a matter of national security, a violation of such is a crime. So yes, you could try to stop them for that.

Involuntary medical detainment and false judicial procedures are equally prohibited by previous legislation, to the best of my knowledge. Since compliance is mandatory, and your laws are changed automatically, these are equally nonissues.

As the Abacathean delegate has pointed out, it is impossible to stop the levels of abuse you are citing. Nations will always find a way around this through one sort of bullshit or another. Fortunately, this resolution, in conjunction with those previously passed (because no resolution exists in a vacuum), closes off the vast majority of avenues of abuse.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives