NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Right of Emigration

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Founded: Oct 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:58 am

Ok, now every citizen in my country has been afflicted with "Don't-want-to-jump-from-22km-in-the-sky" brain disease. This should effectively solve this problem. Now every citizen is mentally unstable, no one gets to commit suicide!
For: Industry, Power, Robots, Anti-Mormon Doormat Traps, Spaceships
Against: Religion, Religion, Religion, Unicorns, Religion, Religion, Wasabi

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.10

I'm like Gandhi, but with a machine gun.

The Distributed Republic of Papoon
Secretary

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Distributed Republic of Papoon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:21 am

Abacathea wrote:It's the primary reason I've been ignoring the desperate attempts by these authors to circumvent this act, the reality is if they're that desperate to circumvent this, they should just opt for non compliance really. So far the "loopholes" here are all covered under existing legislation as you've been pointing out. 8)

Papoon's Delegate for International Bullshit would like to point out that the problems with the proposal as written are hardly due to character limitations.

Abacathea's proposal presumes a fair and just criminal system that is not dominated by state concerns. Obviously, nations with such systems are very unlikely to prohibit emigration. Those that do not have such systems can easily find a way to use this resolution's many loopholes to prevent their citizens from emigrating.

This is why Papoon's Delegate considers this to be a bullshit resolution. The bullshit is made even more fragrant and plushy by the fact that the two main problems facing the world today, in the field of migration, are nations that:

A) Prohibit or seriously restrict IMMIGRATION; and...

B) Conduct forced migration, expellin long-term residents beyond their borders.

The fact that Abacathea proposes a resolution that might have had some logic 50 years ago, at the height of totalitarianism, but which doesn't even begin to address the two main problems faced by the world today is what makes Abacathea a "bullshit speaker" in the eyes of Papoon's Delegate. Abacathea is obviously proposing this resolution to gain political brownie points, not because it really addresses some sort of huge global problem. Even if emigration bans were a huge global problem, this resolution certainly wouldn't do anything to resolve them.

But, as Papoon's delegate's job-description clearly statess, it is indeed her job to talk bullshit with foreigners. Even if it means she misses half of the albino dwarf lesbian mud-wrestling championships.

Sigh.

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 am

The Distributed Republic of Papoon wrote:
Abacathea wrote:It's the primary reason I've been ignoring the desperate attempts by these authors to circumvent this act, the reality is if they're that desperate to circumvent this, they should just opt for non compliance really. So far the "loopholes" here are all covered under existing legislation as you've been pointing out. 8)

Papoon's Delegate for International Bullshit would like to point out that the problems with the proposal as written are hardly due to character limitations.

Abacathea's proposal presumes a fair and just criminal system that is not dominated by state concerns. Obviously, nations with such systems are very unlikely to prohibit emigration. Those that do not have such systems can easily find a way to use this resolution's many loopholes to prevent their citizens from emigrating.

This is why Papoon's Delegate considers this to be a bullshit resolution. The bullshit is made even more fragrant and plushy by the fact that the two main problems facing the world today, in the field of migration, are nations that:

A) Prohibit or seriously restrict IMMIGRATION; and...

B) Conduct forced migration, expellin long-term residents beyond their borders.

The fact that Abacathea proposes a resolution that might have had some logic 50 years ago, at the height of totalitarianism, but which doesn't even begin to address the two main problems faced by the world today is what makes Abacathea a "bullshit speaker" in the eyes of Papoon's Delegate. Abacathea is obviously proposing this resolution to gain political brownie points, not because it really addresses some sort of huge global problem. Even if emigration bans were a huge global problem, this resolution certainly wouldn't do anything to resolve them.

But, as Papoon's delegate's job-description clearly statess, it is indeed her job to talk bullshit with foreigners. Even if it means she misses half of the albino dwarf lesbian mud-wrestling championships.

Sigh.

Agreed. As our nations shouldn't have to go through meaningless loopholes and waste time, money, and other resources that my country cannot afford to waste.

This is truly a "feel-good" resolution. It doesn't do anything other than promote citizens be allowed to emigrate since countries such as mine can enforce false diseases, medical conditions, and crimes to deter the citizens from leaving, which only negatively affects our countries by wasting time and resources.

Political Compass:

Deterria
Secretary

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Deterria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Sure my people can leave... If they can pay for it.

All taxes in Deterria added up means that they are in infinite debt to the government and thus cannot leave as attempting to would be commiting a crime against the state and result in immediate execution of all perpetrators.

Ah... The system works.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:59 pm

The number of nations voicing their oppressive policies and intentions shocks me. How can it possibly benefit any nation incapable of true totalitarian policies thanks to the work of the WA to keep dissident citizens within your borders? Would it not be simpler to be compliant and let the undesirables leave?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:The number of nations voicing their oppressive policies and intentions shocks me. How can it possibly benefit any nation incapable of true totalitarian policies thanks to the work of the WA to keep dissident citizens within your borders? Would it not be simpler to be compliant and let the undesirables leave?

I am not one of those oppressive nations. I simply do not wish for my citizens to be allowed to jump from 22 kilometers in the sky as we do not promote suicide here.

Political Compass:

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Voltzenkrad wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:The number of nations voicing their oppressive policies and intentions shocks me. How can it possibly benefit any nation incapable of true totalitarian policies thanks to the work of the WA to keep dissident citizens within your borders? Would it not be simpler to be compliant and let the undesirables leave?

I am not one of those oppressive nations. I simply do not wish for my citizens to be allowed to jump from 22 kilometers in the sky as we do not promote suicide here.

I suppose, that being your concern, you also allow air traffic to take your citizens safely from your airspace to another nation? Or is that heavily restricted for safety, as well?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Deterria
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Deterria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

If we let them leave they could form terror groups and underground railroads.

And anyway, the undesireables are put in concentration camps to work for the good of the state. Just letting them leave would undermine our largest forced-labour division. Moreover, the slaves we use as a form of currency have to come from somewhere.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Deterria wrote:

If we let them leave they could form terror groups and underground railroads.

And anyway, the undesireables are put in concentration camps to work for the good of the state. Just letting them leave would undermine our largest forced-labour division. Moreover, the slaves we use as a form of currency have to come from somewhere.

Ambassador, you do realize that slavery is as against international law as detainment for reasons of race, political standing, gender, etc., correct? And that, technically, overt noncompliance is impossible?

Deterria
Secretary

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Deterria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Ambassador, you do realize that slavery is as against international law as detainment for reasons of race, political standing, gender, etc., correct? And that, technically, overt noncompliance is impossible?

Then I pray you never read our Charter...

Aside from that Deterria will vote no on this resolution, as it opposes our traditional values.

Pittsburgistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Pittsburgistan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:52 pm

:clap: Great job sir.

HEU 1
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby HEU 1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 pm

There are very few dissidents, at least within HEU 1. The Overseer is against this resolution in an effort to both maintain the safety of our citizens (many of whom are unaware an outside world exists, let alone know of its dangers) and to preserve the one true purpose of this habitat: the Grand Experiment. That one purpose relies on a controlled environment and population. Without those two vital things, the entire 200 year history of the station has been for naught.
Represented by Mikail Arakand within the World Assembly, and by Tomas Farhjir on the Security Council.
Please keep in mind they're very new at their jobs, and having a somewhat insane entity hovering over their shoulder at all times can sometimes make them do and say silly things.
Embassy Program

OOC: That low post count? That's what happens when you CTE every time you get deployed. 3 resurrections and counting.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:48 pm

The proposal's exemptions are particularly shaky. Did anyone think of that?

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm

I have a question for those specialized in WA law.

If I sell, lets say a 500 meter length of land just before the border entirely around the country to a private megacorporation like LuvCorp, then because it is now LuvCorp's property, the state can contract LuvCorp to build a barbed wire fence and concrete wall on that land they purchased and if anyone attempts to cross it they can be detained by LuvCorp's security personnel for trespassing and charged with trespassing on private property. Is this a sound solution for legally stopping border runners?

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Luveria wrote:I have a question for those specialized in WA law.

If I sell, lets say a 500 meter length of land just before the border entirely around the country to a private megacorporation like LuvCorp, then because it is now LuvCorp's property, the state can contract LuvCorp to build a barbed wire fence and concrete wall on that land they purchased and if anyone attempts to cross it they can be detained by LuvCorp's security personnel for trespassing and charged with trespassing on private property. Is this a sound solution for legally stopping border runners?

Couldn't the state do the policing instead and contract LuvCorp to build the wall instead?

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Luveria wrote:I have a question for those specialized in WA law.

Couldn't the state do the policing instead and contract LuvCorp to build the wall instead?

Yes, that's even better, and it is well within the expectations of a public police service to protect the rights of private property owners, which in this case means stopping and apprehending citizens illegally trespassing onto LuvCorp's property that entirely encircles the nation. In addition to that, in the vast majority of nations corporations do have the right to have their own private security personnel for detaining trespassers until the police arrive to take them away.

Having gone through the WA laws, if I'm not mistaken, this method of preventing people from crossing the border is entirely legal. As for citizens trying to cross over LuvCorp's property through airspace, there are no proposals prohibiting making the entire a country a no-fly zone for civilian aircraft.

Unless someone can point out any flaws with the above methods of entirely preventing emigration indirectly while emigration is still technically legal if impossible to achieve, then authoritarian regimes have nothing to worry about from this proposal.
Last edited by Luveria on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Luveria wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Couldn't the state do the policing instead and contract LuvCorp to build the wall instead?

Yes, that's even better, and it is well within the expectations of a public police service to protect the rights of private property owners, which in this case means stopping and apprehending citizens illegally trespassing onto LuvCorp's property that entirely encircles the nation. In addition to that, in the vast majority of nations corporations do have the right to have their own private security personnel for detaining trespassers until the police arrive to take them away.

Having gone through the WA laws, if I'm not mistaken, this method of preventing people from crossing the border is entirely legal. As for citizens trying to cross over LuvCorp's property through airspace, there are no proposals prohibiting making the entire a country a no-fly zone for civilian aircraft.

Unless someone can point out any flaws with the above methods of entirely preventing emigration indirectly while emigration is still technically legal if impossible to achieve, then authoritarian regimes have nothing to worry about from this proposal.

Good luck with that, because your civilian merchant air-fleet will be screwed. Not to mention tourism, but I somehow doubt that you rely terribly heavily on that...

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Luveria wrote:

Good luck with that, because your civilian merchant air-fleet will be screwed. Not to mention tourism, but I somehow doubt that you rely terribly heavily on that...

There is an NS issue that bans air travel, so it is not infeasible. The OP's proposal is flawed.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

The only reason I'm in the WA anymore is for regional control. Still, have fun with this clusterfuck. Not that I'll be following it... as usual...
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Luveria
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Oaledonia wrote:The only reason I'm in the WA anymore is for regional control. Still, have fun with this clusterfuck. Not that I'll be following it... as usual...

This is a ridiculous proposal because it doesn't actually force a country to allow emigration. As I pointed out, I will be selling to the private corporation of LuvCorp a 500 meters wide length of land going entirely around the country, and because that's private property it becomes a criminal act to trespass upon that walled and fenced zone belonging to LuvCorp. In addition to that, I will be heavily restricting air travel. If someone can find a way to emigrate around these indirect but effective measures preventing it, they are free to do so, but it won't happen.

If someone really wants to support the spirit of this bill, Right of Emigration, the proposal in its current form should be shot down. Since that won't happen it should be overturned when possible and replaced with a proposal that addresses these very easy ways to defeat the intention of the bill.

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Voltzenkrad wrote:

I suppose, that being your concern, you also allow air traffic to take your citizens safely from your airspace to another nation? Or is that heavily restricted for safety, as well?

Air traffic non-existent as we are a fast moving and massive object being propelled to quickly to allow any aerospace vehicles within the radius of being crushed or crashing into us.

Political Compass:

Voltzenkrad
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltzenkrad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:26 pm

HEU 1 wrote:

There are very few dissidents, at least within HEU 1. The Overseer is against this resolution in an effort to both maintain the safety of our citizens (many of whom are unaware an outside world exists, let alone know of its dangers) and to preserve the one true purpose of this habitat: the Grand Experiment. That one purpose relies on a controlled environment and population. Without those two vital things, the entire 200 year history of the station has been for naught.

Yes, with such cases as our countries where emigration would be allowed it would completely destroy us in our very nature.

Political Compass:

The Flood
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Flood » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:05 am

Breathing is now a criminal offence in the Flood, the punishment for which is not being allowed to leave the Flood.
Agnostic
Asexual
Transgender, pronouns she / her

Pro-Life
Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism

Political Test
Political Compass
Personality Type: INFJ
I am The UNE now

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 am

The Flood wrote:Breathing is now a criminal offence in the Flood, the punishment for which is not being allowed to leave the Flood.

Is it your goal to be unpleasant around the rest of us whenever something in the WA passes, despite membership being entirely optional?

Our hearty congratulations to the author for a job well done. Chalk another mark up for the good guys.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:59 am

The Republic of Bananaistan greatly admires the World Assembly Compliance Commission. They do such a good job that many ambassadors don't even realise that their countries' laws are automatically changed to abide by WA resolutions. We salute you ... eh ... gallant legislators!

Any non-tinpot or non-lunatic government will be pleased that this proposal passed.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives