NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend Todd McCloud

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Bruce
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:20 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny
I am a fan neither of Todd, Topid or this awful proposal, but I just can't get over the sniveling, elitist tenor of this argument, which holds not only that only delegates should be awarded commendations, but delegates who have served since your day, like Kandarin. If you wish only to vote in favor of C&Cs for old fossils like yourself, that's your right, but it may surprise you to note that numerous players, some of whom might never have heard of the Farkers, are perfectly capable of making contributions to the game -- nay, "outstanding contributions" -- even those who have never been elected a Regional Delegate.

I’d like to think that the WA is a place that is an exchange of perspectives, rather than an exchange of YOU’RE WRONG, BECAUSE YOU DON’T THINK LIKE I DO, but I may be mistaken. Also, if this is how NS Fossils are treated, when posting in the Security Council, it’s little wonder so few participate here. You, Omigodtheykilledkenny, despite your unnecessary rudeness, are exactly the kind of nation I would support a commendation for, owing to your body of work in both the UN and WA. I’m also guessing that in getting so many of your resolutions passed, you used slightly more diplomacy than I just witnessed from you. When those private NS censuses on game impact/popularity were distributed, I was critical of them for neglecting the role of WA lawmakers, community builders, top forum posters, and highly ranked nations in the World Census Reports; because there really is so much more to NationStates than delegacies and fighting over them.

This resolution is worded as a legacy commendation. If you’re going to claim a legacy for your work as the delegate of a feeder, I’d like to think that having at least a year in that delegate position would be a good baseline, or you’ll be setting the bar pretty low and may as well commend every delegate who has ever been a feeder delegate, no matter how short a time. I’m pretty certain that, barring RL interference, Todd McCloud will remain as delegate for some time. And once some of that time has past, say a year, then it would be more appropriate to claim a legacy for their work as a feeder delegate.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 am

Nigel pulls out his handy dandy, WeCouldCareLessAboutC&C's Invader/Defender/Character/Player/Nation Edition 2.0 cheat sheet.

No mention of nazi's +50
No mention of salad dressing +50
+25 for the cunning use of the best Doctor Who ever on Todd's flag.
-25 because he regenerated.
-25 for no mention of penguins
-25 for no mention of nazi zombies
-50 for 5 uses of the words defender/raider (10 each) all forms.
- 30 for co-authors listed. (10 each)
- 10 because the ALSO RECOGNIZING clause is 3 clauses from the RECOGNIZING clause

A close vote, but with an over all score of -15 on the , WeCouldCareLessAboutC&C's Invader/Defender/Character/Player/Nation Edition 2.0 scoring system, we must vote AGAINST
Last edited by Philimbesi on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:31 am

The Bruce wrote:I'd seen you in some sketchy regions, not in the capacity of defending, while speaking out against certain defender groups. It can make it difficult to ascertain which side you represent, without more information.

:unsure: Which region?
AKA Weed

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:32 am

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Topid is actually a defender too

Nay. He's a defender symathizer, as he's in the WA, but doesn't actually do any defending. The same can be said for Unibot.

I prefer defender synthesizer. I imitate defender sounds, but am really just a box which talks. ;)

I just noticed I missed the 'p' in sympathizer.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:54 am

The Bruce wrote:You, Omigodtheykilledkenny, despite your unnecessary rudeness, are exactly the kind of nation I would support a commendation for, owing to your body of work in both the UN and WA. I’m also guessing that in getting so many of your resolutions passed, you used slightly more diplomacy than I just witnessed from you. When those private NS censuses on game impact/popularity were distributed, I was critical of them for neglecting the role of WA lawmakers, community builders, top forum posters, and highly ranked nations in the World Census Reports; because there really is so much more to NationStates than delegacies and fighting over them.

You're right on that; I'll give you that one. It's only that the tone of your argument was curious, in that you ignored everything in it except Todd's delegacy, and contended he doesn't deserve recognition because he hasn't been delegate for some arbitrary term of months or years. It's still a very weak argument, and somewhat elitist.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 am

Too much OOC, bear, too much OOC...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Too much OOC, bear, too much OOC...

That's called the Security Council.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Again a useless resolution at vote. Commending Todd McCloud would do nothing to improve security in WA regions and member nations. The resolution itself describes a lot, but no actual achievements worthy of recognition (against raiding? so are others. written commendations? not an achievement).

I hereby represent my nations disgust for this time-wasting and vote AGAINST the resolution and recommend others do the same. Commendations and Condemnations clog up the voting system, making it harder for law-making resolutions to be voted upon. Less than half the resolutions in the past two weeks have been about actual issues.

This HAS to stop.

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Mikeswill wrote:Again: These Condemn & Commend Resolutions are mostly a popularity contest and a waste of the World Assembly’s time. Although Todd McCloud has worn numerous masks as a Raider, Defender, and Delegate, it is not the Business of the World Assembly to Honour Nations.
It is absolutely the business of the World Assembly Security Council to commend and condemn nations and regions, as well as to liberate regions. That is, quite literally, the purpose of its existence.
That is assuming it should exist in the first place which is a wrong assumption. I have yet to see a resolution pass through this council that improves security to our WA nations.

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:I don't have a horse in this race and since I don't have a WA nation at present I won't be voting one way or the other. Quit being so hyper-sensitive. 99% of the voters don't read these At Vote threads anyway.
That's like voting by flipping a coin. Why are such people even allowed to decide what happens in WA member nations. If you want to vote on WA and SC resolutions, you should read what you're voting on.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:09 pm

The Magic Spirit wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Mikeswill wrote:Again: These Condemn & Commend Resolutions are mostly a popularity contest and a waste of the World Assembly’s time. Although Todd McCloud has worn numerous masks as a Raider, Defender, and Delegate, it is not the Business of the World Assembly to Honour Nations.
It is absolutely the business of the World Assembly Security Council to commend and condemn nations and regions, as well as to liberate regions. That is, quite literally, the purpose of its existence.
That is assuming it should exist in the first place which is a wrong assumption. I have yet to see a resolution pass through this council that improves security to our WA nations.
Max said the WA should commend/condemn. Done. It has that power, right, and responsiblity.
AKA Weed

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

In light of the stalemated debate back home, the International Democratic Union will ABSTAIN from this vote.

Stephanie Fulton,
WA Delegate for the IDU
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Golgoglot
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgoglot » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Philimbesi wrote:Nigel pulls out his handy dandy, WeCouldCareLessAboutC&C's Invader/Defender/Character/Player/Nation Edition 2.0 cheat sheet.

No mention of nazi's +50
No mention of salad dressing +50
+25 for the cunning use of the best Doctor Who ever on Todd's flag.
-25 because he regenerated.
-25 for no mention of penguins
-25 for no mention of nazi zombies
-50 for 5 uses of the words defender/raider (10 each) all forms.
- 30 for co-authors listed. (10 each)
- 10 because the ALSO RECOGNIZING clause is 3 clauses from the RECOGNIZING clause

A close vote, but with an over all score of -15 on the , WeCouldCareLessAboutC&C's Invader/Defender/Character/Player/Nation Edition 2.0 scoring system, we must vote AGAINST

Let it be known to the entirety of the SC that Golgoglot abides by Philimbesi's WeCouldCareLessAboutC&C's Invader/Defender/Character/Player/Nation Edition 2.0 scoring system, and we readily defer to its infinite and unquestionable wisdom whenever it graces us with its holy presence.

[OOC: No, seriously.]

Thus, we must vote against this Commendation.
Last edited by Golgoglot on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir and Dr. Bernard Godlis, Foreign Affairs High Office
The Sacred Eternity of Golgoglot
There Above the Starry Canopy, A Great G-d Will Reward

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 am

DISGUSTED with the constant mentions of raiders/defenders in condemn and commend resolutions,

BORED with the antics of those who support/oppose the various sides,

We of Metana vote AGAINST this unnecessary continuation of the raider/defender rhetoric.
Last edited by Metania on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 am

The Magic Spirit wrote:I hereby represent my nations disgust for this time-wasting and vote AGAINST the resolution and recommend others do the same. Commendations and Condemnations clog up the voting system, making it harder for law-making resolutions to be voted upon. Less than half the resolutions in the past two weeks have been about actual issues.

This HAS to stop.

AGAIN I tell you, take your grievance to the GA.

The fact that we've had a close succession of SC resolutions at vote lately is because people in the GA have been slacking off. Even at this moment as I speak, there's not one proposal from the GA that's anywhere near quorum.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:12 am

Travancore-Cochin wrote:
The Magic Spirit wrote:I hereby represent my nations disgust for this time-wasting and vote AGAINST the resolution and recommend others do the same. Commendations and Condemnations clog up the voting system, making it harder for law-making resolutions to be voted upon. Less than half the resolutions in the past two weeks have been about actual issues.

This HAS to stop.

The fact that we've had a close succession of SC resolutions at vote lately is because people in the GA have been slacking off. Even at this moment as I speak, there's not one proposal from the GA that's anywhere near quorum.

OOC: Fair go, we're coming up to a four-day weekend down here in Oz (can't say for the rest of the world). Just cause the SC wants to be busy during the holidays doesn't mean you have to drag the GA in. Unless you're intending to pay the poor ambassadors their double-time-and-a-half?
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:19 am

Enn wrote:OOC: Fair go, we're coming up to a four-day weekend down here in Oz (can't say for the rest of the world). Just cause the SC wants to be busy during the holidays doesn't mean you have to drag the GA in. Unless you're intending to pay the poor ambassadors their double-time-and-a-half?

I don't want to drag the GA in; but it's equally unfair to complain about SC resolutions coming to vote, and then claiming that they're "making it harder for law-making resolutions to be voted upon" (which is happening because there aren't quorate GA proposals in the queue).
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:21 am

Travancore-Cochin wrote:

This HAS to stop.

That's because the GA is a lot better than the SC at filtering out the crap before submission... :p
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:31 am

That's because the GA is a lot better than the SC at filtering out the crap before submission..

The presence of relatively clear cut rules helps with this.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Travancore-Cochin wrote:

This HAS to stop.

That's because the GA is a lot better than the SC at filtering out the crap before submission... :p

But.. but.. regions have the same delegates, regardless of the chamber! :(

[serious]
Forget the crap, I don't see even a half decent proposal in the list at all.
[/serious]

Yes, it seems that I've contracted some of your underscoring tendencies. :p
Last edited by Travancore-Cochin on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:46 pm

At 1700 GMT, the Security Council resolution Commend Todd McCloud was passed 3,298 votes to 1,649. Well done, Topid and Todd McCloud, although the honored ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg would find less nation tags a bit more appealing.

Yours etc,

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Thank you everyone, congratulations Todd! You deserve it.
AKA Weed

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Enn wrote:
Travancore-Cochin wrote:

This HAS to stop.

OOC: Fair go, we're coming up to a four-day weekend down here in Oz (can't say for the rest of the world). Just cause the SC wants to be busy during the holidays doesn't mean you have to drag the GA in. Unless you're intending to pay the poor ambassadors their double-time-and-a-half?

Alas, duty calls in Utopia. Time waits for no liberation.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Unibot wrote:
Enn wrote:
Travancore-Cochin wrote:

This HAS to stop.

Alas, duty calls in Utopia. Time waits for no liberation.

What is ironic about the statement he is making is:
GA: "No fair! You getting to many turnz!!! We want to pass useless crap now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"
SC: "Sure go ahead, you can go next if you want."
GA: "Weeeeeeeeeell, it's the holidays, and I don't want to anything NOW... I just don't want you to do anything either so that it's fair."

After going through a dozen AT VOTES with GAers complaining we got a turn, I think I'll start making some appearances in GA threads... >:(
Last edited by Topid on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Topid wrote:After going through a dozen AT VOTES with GAers complaining we got a turn, I think I'll start making some appearances in GA threads... >:(

Go right ahead, I'll prepare the welcoming committee. :rofl:
OOC puppet of Yelda

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives