NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Refugee Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Refugee Protection

Postby Spredronia » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Support

Refugees should not be discriminated against. Racists who prey on refugees should be sentenced to minimum house arrest at least, restorative judgement process at worst. Other than that part, full support from the PM of Spredonia.
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Allied Governments
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Governments » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 pm

What does said resolution feel about the receiving nation invading the embattled nation, so that they can re-establish a government so long-term refugee habilitation is unnecessary?
[SHOCKING] Woman dragged by coffee cup into the MANDRILL MAZE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdllAAHq-WA

United Justice Nation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Justice Nation » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 am

Grand Europic States wrote:
United Justice Nation wrote:Why should we protect Refugees? They think they can come into our country and make them our problem, with an application already put forward to the WA im not sure I would like to be a member following this proposal. Refugees will not be allowed into my nation, its not what we need, being a new nation.

No they don't think they can come into your country, they don't have a choice being refugees and all. For someone to get refugee status they have to have been displaced due to violence, natural disasters, war, genocide etc. They don't just decide that they fancy coming to your country to have you take care of them because they can't be bothered to do it themselves.

Why should we protect refugees? Because they're desperate people in desperate need and anyone with a conscience would recognise that and help them. Not to mention the fact that if something happened in your country forcing some of your population to leave I imagine (although I could be wrong) that you want want another nation to give them help.

As for being a young nation, the proposal will not force any nation to accept refugees. The Grand Europic States is a small nation and if one of our biggest neighbours had a crisis we would not be able to offer refuge to all its population, however much we may like to. This proposal ensures that we would not have to take anymore refugees than we could reasonably handle. However, if you are unwilling to help those in need, don't be surprised if your neighbouring nations refuse to help you should you ever need it.

Yours,

I guess I never thought of it that way, apologies for my rash words....

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I would have thought that torture would most definitely be "persecution" but, hey, why not. How about this new section 1?

1. No person, whether or not they meet the definitions of a refugee, shall be transported against their will, in any manner or for any reason, to a territory in which that person may be put at risk of persecution, unjust incarceration or execution, torture, or other serious violations of their rights, whether by state or non-state entities.

Grand Europic States
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Europic States » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 pm

I do wonder whether the author may consider adding to the definition in order to extend the proposals protections to refugees who are displaced as a result of a natural disaster. They are one of the most common categories of refugees, so it would seem like a good idea to ensure that consideration is also given to their situation.

Yours,
Ambassador Tristan Winstrom
Permanent Representative of The New Republic of Grand Europic States to the World Assembly
Minister of State for the Europic Diplomatic Corps
President of the Council of Europic Diplomats

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:04 pm

I'd suggest that refugees as a result of natural disasters have much less need of such legislation, as their situations are likely to be quite temporary depending on how rebuilding works progress, etc., and in some cases will not need to cross international boundaries to find refuge. Moreover, the reasonable expectation in such cases is that the state will be trying to help its nationals. It is refugees fleeing conflict and violence, whose home nations may actually be deliberately working against them, that require a bit more help from the international community. Nevertheless, I will try to see what sort of concerns regarding those displaced by natural disaster I could help to resolve in this resolution.

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:38 am

The Allied States of Tiesabre throw their full support behind this resolution. As always though, we have one question, the answer will not affect our standing on the resolution:

Many nations are will-known for keeping refugees in shanty towns or grouped on a small area together rarely allowed outside of it. Though we are a corrupt dictorship in our country, even our leader feels for the conditions some of these refugees are forced to live in in host countries. Could these resolution address that or is that for another time and place?
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:06 am

3. Refugees shall not be discriminated against by reason only of their status as refugees, are entitled to full protection under national law, and shall not be arbitrarily expelled once granted asylum.

It is the intention of that clause to prevent such discriminatory treatment. I hope you find it satisfies your concerns.

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Ahh, thank you. That is all I desired to know.

The Free Land of Tiesabre fully support this resolution.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:

Silar
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Silar pledges its support.
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Okay, here we go with another "final" revision. Changed sections bolded. Let's go.

----

CONCERNED for the welfare and safety of people who have been displaced from their country of residence; and,

SEEKING to provide for the protection of persons against undue persecution and harm, and to encourage protection for persons fleeing violence and persecution,

The World Assembly hereby enacts the following.

A refugee shall be defined, for the purposes of this resolution, as any person who is for any reason outside the country of their nationality and cannot avail themselves of the protection of their country of nationality, or who refuses to do so because of a well-founded fear of unjust persecution. This shall not exclude persons also defined as refugees under different criteria by provisions of national or other international law.

1. No person, whether or not they meet the definitions of a refugee, shall be transported against their will, in any manner or for any reason, to a territory in which that person may be put at risk of persecution, unjustifiably discriminatory treatment, unjust incarceration or execution, torture, or other serious violations of their rights, whether by state or non-state entities.

2. Where a member nation has denied asylum to or expelled a refugee, the nation shall, as far as possible, seek to facilitate that person's transport to another nation which is willing to grant asylum, and must not obstruct that person's efforts to seek asylum in another nation.

3. Refugees shall not be discriminated against by reason only of their status as refugees, are entitled to full protection under national law, and shall not be arbitrarily expelled once granted asylum.

4. In recognition of the potential that the circumstances causing a person to become a refugee may exist in the long term, member nations shall as far as possible seek to facilitate the naturalisation and favourable integration of refugees, should the refugee request such assistance.

5. Nothing in this resolution shall place any restrictions on the right of member nations to grant asylum to any person they so wish; member nations are encouraged to apply greater and more liberal protections for refugees than mandated in this resolution, and neither shall this resolution be interpreted to compel any nation to grant asylum to any person.

6. With the exception of section 1, nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted to affect extradition or immigration policies of member nations in matters unrelated to refugee protection.

Silar
Diplomat

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Silar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 am

Sounds great! When can we begin voting??
His Royal and Serene Majesty Pius Alartho, By God's Grace, High King of Silar and its Commonwealth, Defender and Protector of the Holy and Catholic Faith
Embassy Program - Factbook - King Georges Alban International Airport - The Silaran Evening Telegraph - Silaran Public Affairs Network
A Catholic nation? Why not join the Catholic Church?! - Silar is Prefect of the CDF
A Christian Nation (Catholic or no)? Why not join the Grand Inter-Denominational Christian Alliance?! - Silar is a member state

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qumkent » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 am

The clause which mentions discrimination against refugees is not really necessary as they are covered by the CoCR, and we recommend that this statute's definition of refugee be expanded to include internal refugees, but we would heartily support this statute with these amendments and we commend its authors for their work in this matter.

Yours,
Last edited by Qumkent on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Autonomous Principality of Qumkent, a constituent state of the Confederated Sublime Khanate of Urgench

Learn more about the CSKU here - http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Urgench

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:24 am

Okay, now I'm back from holiday it's time to get this on the road. For the last time, any concerns or questions?

Kelssek
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:53 am

Proposal has been submitted and I am now sending out mass TGs to delegates.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:58 am

Very well written, honoured ambassador. Approved.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rolovaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolovaria » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm

The Grand Duchy of Rolovaria offers their full support on this proposal.
Rhyolith Kortala
Archduke of the Grand Duchy of Rolovaria
WA Delegate of the region of Xziviria

Yelda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: [QUEUED] Refugee Protection

Postby Yelda » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:10 am

We find no fault with this Resolution and have instructed our WA proxy to vote For.

Aüþgæþ Spøtyiú
Ambassador
The Yeldan People's Democratic Republic

Ideological Bulwark #40
Another HotRodian puppet

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:20 am

The honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg has successfully arranged to vote FOR on her way home from work, on the tube.

Well done, honoured ambassadors to Kelssek.

Rolovaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolovaria » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:09 am

The ambassador to Rolovaria has casted his vote FOR . I will also be talking with the other WA members in Xziviria to cast their vote FOR
Rhyolith Kortala
Archduke of the Grand Duchy of Rolovaria
WA Delegate of the region of Xziviria

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:11 am

The Dominion of Tiesabre has voted FOR for this resolution and will recommend its WA delegate and other members of the Heartland region to do the same.
Political Compass:

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Re: AT VOTE: Refugee Protection

Postby The Palentine » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 pm

A well written, well meaning, well thought out, and rather good proposal from the esteemed delegate from Kelssek, so naturally the Palentine shall be voting against it. Nothing personal, old boy, but I have a certian reputation here in the Festering Snakepit. :p
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 pm

The Seishinian delegate supports this proposal

Falahia
Civilian

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Falahia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Falahia has voted against this proposal. Who is to say these 'refugees' are not refugees on their own account and merely looking for easy access into countries better off? The country that these people are fleeing from must be held responsible for its citizenry. Besides the fact that this simply allows countries to be rid of a group of people without reason, it can be highly exploited and used as a cover for illegal immigration or even human trafficking! We do not need to be passing more ideas in which loops holes are formed and our order is disrupted. Falahia will remain against this proposal and any others that are loosely put together based on trying to help people instead of fixing problems.
Last edited by Falahia on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koumpounophobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Koumpounophobia » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:37 pm

As President of Koumpounaphobia, I openly support this resolution for the simple fact that once a refugee enters this nation, they are expected to work in our corporation to benefit both us and them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives