NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Sensible Limits on Hunting

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Confederate People of the United States
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate People of the United States » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 pm

This is a seriously close vote, closer than any other I have ever seen.
Lunas Legion wrote:I run Fallout RPs. Everything else about the universe doesn't matter.
The Pan-Slavian Union wrote: Give a shotgun to a Gay, and he'll eventually find some way to masturbate with it. Give a shotgun to a Russian, and he'll defend his country.
The New Sea Territory wrote:All government oppresses by violating all our rights to "protect our rights".
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Confederate People of the United States wrote:You realize you will never win an argument on this website.

Belzia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Belzia » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Confederate People of the United States wrote:This is a seriously close vote, closer than any other I have ever seen.

I know, it's so tense.
Poni Poni Poni
Generation 35 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your signature.
Armed Forces data
Defcon: 5 4 3 2 1
Left: 5.16, Libertarian: 1.87
I am a Catholic

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate People of the United States » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:03 pm

My vote is winning by about a hundred. Man it could change overnight....
Lunas Legion wrote:I run Fallout RPs. Everything else about the universe doesn't matter.
The Pan-Slavian Union wrote: Give a shotgun to a Gay, and he'll eventually find some way to masturbate with it. Give a shotgun to a Russian, and he'll defend his country.
The New Sea Territory wrote:All government oppresses by violating all our rights to "protect our rights".
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Confederate People of the United States wrote:You realize you will never win an argument on this website.

Fengari
Secretary

Founded: Jul 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fengari » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:59 pm

I would've voted for this proposal, but it seems like it honestly puts the welfare of animals before humans. Yes, animals have feelings and they hurt, but I don't think they should be put before humans. I think if the proposer were to rewrite this proposal and revise key points, it would be a great thing to pass.

Qvait
Envoy

Founded: Mar 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Qvait » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Voting is rather close, and I am a supporter of this resolution. If people want meat, get it from chickens, cows, and pigs.
Em

she/her/hers

Who I am

The Dominion of Plebians
Lobbyist

Founded: May 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Already done?

Postby The Dominion of Plebians » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:25 pm

I may be mistaken, but doesn't GA Resolution #66 already deal with this issue by granting the WA the power to restrict hunting to protect endangered species? This line in particular, "Should the WAESC restrict hunting of an endangered animal..." stands out in particular. As such, it sounds like this resolution may be redundant...

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 am

The Dominion of Plebians wrote:I may be mistaken, but doesn't GA Resolution #66 already deal with this issue by granting the WA the power to restrict hunting to protect endangered species? This line in particular, "Should the WAESC restrict hunting of an endangered animal..." stands out in particular. As such, it sounds like this resolution may be redundant...

GA Resolution #66 mainly applies to species that have already become endangered, or that are on the verge of doing so: This proposal is aimed more at stopping their decline before they reach that stage... and, unlike #66, it would require protection of distinct stocks within each species (e.g. sub-species) rather than just of the species as a whole.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

New Atmora
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Atmora » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 am

In New Atmora approximately half the population rely on hunting as a source of food, with the majority of the rest of the population hunting for sport. Hunted meat is also a significant sector of the Atmoran economy. We believe that we don't need our rights restricted by another nation's morals, and that it isn't the governments job to educate the public on an activity practised since the start of our nation's history. The people have by now made their own unofficial rules on when, what and how to hunt and the government accepts these rules as suitable for maintaining a ecosystem where no animal is threatened by extinction.

8. Urges member nations to ensure that any goods obtained by legal hunting within their borders are properly tested for health risks before being sold or consumed there.

We also disagree with the idea that meat should be tested, especially since the chemicals used can affect the flavour and character of the meat. Anyone buying meat that has been hunted should, in the government's opinion, have the common sense to ask the seller the date it was hunted, and should be able to tell by the look and smell of the meat if there are any serious problems with it.

Due to the reasons stated above, we vote against the resolution.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 am

New Atmora wrote:In New Atmora approximately half the population rely on hunting as a source of food, with the majority of the rest of the population hunting for sport. Hunted meat is also a significant sector of the Atmoran economy. We believe that we don't need our rights restricted by another nation's morals, and that it isn't the governments job to educate the public on an activity practised since the start of our nation's history. The people have by now made their own unofficial rules on when, what and how to hunt and the government accepts these rules as suitable for maintaining a ecosystem where no animal is threatened by extinction.
And if that system is actually working properly then your government accepting those unofficial rules would count as a good enough way of it taking "expert advice" for it to be considered already in compliance with the relevant clause. Allowing for situations like that was one of the main reasons why I replaced the original "scientific" with the current "expert" in that clause.

New Atmora wrote:
8. Urges member nations to ensure that any goods obtained by legal hunting within their borders are properly tested for health risks before being sold or consumed there.

We also disagree with the idea that meat should be tested, especially since the chemicals used can affect the flavour and character of the meat. Anyone buying meat that has been hunted should, in the government's opinion, have the common sense to ask the seller the date it was hunted, and should be able to tell by the look and smell of the meat if there are any serious problems with it.
A clause that starts with "Urges" is only a suggestion rather than a binding command, on the first paw... and we didn't specify that the testing would have to be by chemical methods, neither: If your people are hrreally such experts on the matter that they "should be able to tell by the look and smell of the meat if there are any serious problems with it", then by letting them use their expertise you arguably would be doing as that clause suggests (too) anyhows.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Esterwyn
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esterwyn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 am

I feel that this takes away too much from nation's self-rule, their independence.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am

Esterwyn wrote:I feel that this takes away too much from nation's self-rule, their independence.

New here, hr'rmm? if you think that this proposal is too much, then maybeso you'd better take a closer look at the passed resolutions too because as a WA member you're supposed to follow all of those -- except for the repealed ones, of course -- as well...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Langock
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Langock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:53 am

Esterwyn wrote:I feel that this takes away too much from nation's self-rule, their independence.

I agree with you, my nation prides itself with its gun rights, and freedom to hunt on your own land provided that you have enough to safely do so w/o endangering others (safe distance from dwellings), and have some means of hunting. We have voted against this resolution.

Chiotia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chiotia » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 pm

How much my country hunts is my business and not the business of the GA. Furthermore if the GA passes this tedious proposal then it could have terrible repercussions on many nations who economy is hunting based. Also if the GA is worried about the quality of the meat being exported then it is up to the receiving country to ensure that the product they are buying is up to code with its countries standards. In conclusion I and many other countries don't care about GA proposal unless it is an international issue. If its something the countries should handle then let them handle it.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Chiotia wrote:How much my country hunts is my business and not the business of the GA. Furthermore if the GA passes this tedious proposal then it could have terrible repercussions on many nations who economy is hunting based. Also if the GA is worried about the quality of the meat being exported then it is up to the receiving country to ensure that the product they are buying is up to code with its countries standards. In conclusion I and many other countries don't care about GA proposal unless it is an international issue. If its something the countries should handle then let them handle it.

I can't imagine there are too many countries whose economic stability is contingent on hunting. That said if there are nations in that scenario unlikely as it may seem then this can only assist them in not depleting the hand that's feeding them.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Chiotia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiotia » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:25 pm

The real world relevence of this isn't important. What is important is that it is my nation and my people that i believe have the right to hunt, personally, i never want to hear form the GA unless it is a serious international issue

Chiotia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiotia » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm

The fact of the matter is that the GA setting limits on a nation's rights takes away their sovereignty.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Chiotia wrote:The fact of the matter is that the GA setting limits on a nation's rights takes away their sovereignty.

Welcome to being part of a supranational organization. By signing up, you accept the fact that your national sovereignty will be limited.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate People of the United States » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Qvait wrote:Voting is rather close, and I am a supporter of this resolution. If people want meat, get it from chickens, cows, and pigs.

Doves, Deer, Duck, Turkey. No, that is bullsh!t I want my meat. You cant make me eat that stuff all day. I mean, I like chicken but barbeque dove and deer burgers are delicious.

WallaWakkaWalla
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WallaWakkaWalla » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Based on our review, this legislature does seem like a good balance between personal rights, national sovereignty, and international environmental concerns. As such, W3 will cast it's vote FOR this resolution.
*Ambassador Eric Wayview, Designated Representative of W3 to the World Assembly*

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Not pleased to report that my region seems to be 100% against this fine resolution. Never the less, in spite of the necessity of a delegate to consider the desires of the nations he represents, I wish you all the best in what looks like a very close vote before the assembly.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:37 am

Said every newbie nation ever when they see whatever resolution is at vote.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Of Democratic States and Free Markets
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Of Democratic States and Free Markets » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:39 am

Great. It is going to pass and restrict liberty in the name of "moral decency".

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 am

Chiotia wrote:Furthermore if the GA passes this tedious proposal then it could have terrible repercussions on many nations who economy is hunting based.
Those nations not regulating hunting could have "terrible repercussions" on their economies too, because of course if you persistently over-hunt any stock of animals then after a while there aren't enough left to hunt anyway and that part of the economy collapses altogether.

Confederate People of the United States wrote:Doves, Deer, Duck, Turkey. No, that is bullsh!t I want my meat. You cant make me eat that stuff all day. I mean, I like chicken but barbeque dove and deer burgers are delicious.
Agreed about deer burgers, both IC and OOC... so let's make sure that there are enough deer around to keep providing us with them in future, too, instead of eating the whole stock now and leaving none for later...

WallaWakkaWalla wrote:Based on our review, this legislature does seem like a good balance between personal rights, national sovereignty, and international environmental concerns. As such, W3 will cast it's vote FOR this resolution.
Thank you.

Retired WerePenguins wrote:Not pleased to report that my region seems to be 100% against this fine resolution.
:roll:
Why am I not very surprised by that news?
Never the less, in spite of the necessity of a delegate to consider the desires of the nations he represents, I wish you all the best in what looks like a very close vote before the assembly.
Thank you.

Of Democratic States and Free Markets wrote:Great. It is going to pass and restrict liberty in the name of "moral decency".
The liberty to over-hunt stocks of animals; the liberty to deal in meat & other goods obtained by illegal hunting; the liberty to trade internationally in meats or other goods that are carrying diseases or parasites, and in meat or other goods taken from endangered stocks: Which of those liberties in particular do you consider worth defending, and why?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:23 am

Of Democratic States and Free Markets wrote:Great. It is going to pass and restrict liberty in the name of "moral decency".
What a terribly short-sighted and naive perspective.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Chiotia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Chiotia » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:53 am

It doesn't matter if its shortsighted, what business is it of yours if my people hunt. The GA shouldn't be concerning itself with non-international issues.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives