NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Sensible Limits on Hunting

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:
Former Very Undemocratic United Kingdom wrote:I wonder how this resolution (if passed sooner) would impact on the zombie apocalypse... would it prevent zombie hunting?

No, but since we all know how faithful zombies are to international law, the measure would have prevented zombies from hunting people to extinction. :twisted:

I can't even begin to describe the image that conjured up in my brain...but it was hilarious.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 am

Sensible Limits on Hunting was passed 7,463 votes to 5,398.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:06 am

"Our congratulations to the representatives of Bears Armed and Hirota on passage of their legislation. It is especially heartening to see the region to which we are currently seeking political alignment, the IDU, successful in this chamber.

"In my first act as Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Social Democratic Republic of The Dark Star Republic, it was however my duty to vote AGAINST the proposal. Our vote was only cast once it was clear the resolution would pass by a safe margin, and had there been any kind of close call, we would likely have abstained. Our vote should simply be seen as symbolic: we think the culling provisions are probably not so restrictive as to be harmful.

"I'd also like to thank the representative of Bears Armed Mission for his respectful response to my comments."

~ newly arrived Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer
TSDR

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:02 am

"I and my government thank every governent whose ambassador here voted for this resolution."

"To answer one important question that hasn't already been asked here: Yes, although no longer a WA member itself, Bears Armed proper (including The Ursine Northlands), will be voluntarily in full compliance with this legislation."

"Oh, and our mission's legal department thinks that it might have a viable solution to the question about the possible use of products from illegal hunting after all, if anybody' here is interested:
"If a nation's laws make the authorities catching poachers and confiscating those goods a legal right & obligation, as they hrreally
should in order to make that nation compliant with this resolution, then although the poachers would obviously have gained those goods through illegal hunting and therefore be forbidden to sell or use them, the authorities themselves would actually have gained the confiscated goods through legal hunting instead (Hrright?) and therefore legitmately could use those goods — for example, by donating meat to the poor — without going beyond the terms of this resolution...
Or would that that argument be too
"creative" for your own legal sytems to accept?

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Our congratulations to the representatives of Bears Armed and Hirota on passage of their legislation. It is especially heartening to see the region to which we are currently seeking political alignment, the IDU, successful in this chamber.

"In my first act as Ambassador to the World Assembly for the Social Democratic Republic of The Dark Star Republic, it was however my duty to vote AGAINST the proposal. Our vote was only cast once it was clear the resolution would pass by a safe margin, and had there been any kind of close call, we would likely have abstained. Our vote should simply be seen as symbolic: we think the culling provisions are probably not so restrictive as to be harmful.

"I'd also like to thank the representative of Bears Armed Mission for his respectful response to my comments."

~ newly arrived Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer
TSDR
"Thank you, and you're welcome. As the representatives here of another IDU member nation, you and your mission's other senior staff are entitled to an introductory round of drinks in the Strangers' Bar at my own government's expense."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Esterwyn
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esterwyn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Hirota wrote:
Esterwyn wrote:Got ourselves a winner here. Call him a newb and be done with it. A way to go!
Hey, if you did something original, maybe we'd have something to talk about. All I see is yet another new nation whining about about their rights getting taken away when they seem to have forgotten they already surrendered them when they joined the World Assembly. Over the 9 years I've been here, I can probably count on both hands the number of newcomers who have made a coherent and original argument in their first resolution thread - and if we took out the puppets and players rejoining with new nations, I probably wouldn't need that second hand.

It's probably not your fault - you are speaking from a position of a lack of understanding, so don't take it personally. I know I was just as naive when Hirota started out.

I can join the World Assembly and complain about new legislations being too restrictive of nation's independence. I don't see how I can't. The WA can easily exist in a state were it does not infringe too much on a nation's autonomy, and I can vote according to this belief?

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Potted Plants United wrote:OOC: I'm not feeling very well, so just giving the IC reason OOCly; PPU is abstaining from the vote, because they do not actively hunt. The carnivorous species don't go out to search for prey, but will eat any non-sapient animal foolish enough to end up in their traps (think of a venus flytrap for example).

You don't have any triffids in your nation, do you?
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:09 pm

Esterwyn wrote:I can join the World Assembly and complain about new legislations being too restrictive of nation's independence. I don't see how I can't. The WA can easily exist in a state were it does not infringe too much on a nation's autonomy, and I can vote according to this belief?
It's not that you can't complain about it, it's how you go about it. Simply saying a one-liner that doesn't require much of your brain to process will (almost) always be dismissed as a newbie-with-no-real-substance argument. If you really have to say something, say something more coherent that outlines your opposition and the details of it. On that note, I can agree with this sentiment.

OOC: This has been passed, mind leaving it be?
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Esterwyn
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esterwyn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:25 am

The Akashic Records wrote:
Esterwyn wrote:I can join the World Assembly and complain about new legislations being too restrictive of nation's independence. I don't see how I can't. The WA can easily exist in a state were it does not infringe too much on a nation's autonomy, and I can vote according to this belief?
It's not that you can't complain about it, it's how you go about it. Simply saying a one-liner that doesn't require much of your brain to process will (almost) always be dismissed as a newbie-with-no-real-substance argument. If you really have to say something, say something more coherent that outlines your opposition and the details of it. On that note, I can agree with this sentiment.

Ah, well, no, a one liner is a reasonable explanation as to why I think it is not an acceptable legislation. I don't entirely care what you consider nooby, I don't believe that much more reason is required.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 am

Esterwyn wrote:
The Akashic Records wrote:It's not that you can't complain about it, it's how you go about it. Simply saying a one-liner that doesn't require much of your brain to process will (almost) always be dismissed as a newbie-with-no-real-substance argument. If you really have to say something, say something more coherent that outlines your opposition and the details of it. On that note, I can agree with this sentiment.

Ah, well, no, a one liner is a reasonable explanation as to why I think it is not an acceptable legislation. I don't entirely care what you consider nooby, I don't believe that much more reason is required.

Considering that this is an international stage, where nations agree to restrict some of their freedom in exchange for the greater good, an explanation as to why you disagree on something would at least give people a clear idea of what exactly it is that you're disagreeing to. Otherwise, how would you write a repeal of something that you don't like? Simply saying I don't like it can be said about every single resolution in the books, and there'd be no point whatsoever in making these laws in the first place. At the very least, with a coherent argument, your position would be stronger.

OOC: You might have missed this section in the FAQ. There's also the fact that simply saying I don't like it is an invalid grounds for a repeal, mind you. Spend some time reading the rules and debates, then come back with better arguments, maybe? On a side note, I think this is enough threadjacking from me on this matter.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:41 am

OOC: I don't see that there was anything wrong with what Esterwyn said, or any cause for Hirota to be so snippy. My in-character post was nothing more than RP fluff of my Ambassador arriving, voting against, and then not really explaining his justification for doing so. It received no side-by swiping. Exactly as Esterwyn noted, people just like to pile on the newbies.

Anyway I think this is all probably academic and the thread will likely be towed to the archives soon.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:00 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: I don't see that there was anything wrong with what Esterwyn said, or any cause for Hirota to be so snippy. My in-character post was nothing more than RP fluff of my Ambassador arriving, voting against, and then not really explaining his justification for doing so. It received no side-by swiping. Exactly as Esterwyn noted, people just like to pile on the newbies.

Anyway I think this is all probably academic and the thread will likely be towed to the archives soon.

OOC: Not a fan of OOCs, and yes, it was a pile on newbies, but when most if not all just come in and say "I don't like it", that's something close to spam. At least, with the RP fluff, it's a bit in line with the WA RP, and less susceptible to being piled on. Though, you did provide something akin to a reasoning, and you would most likely have expanded on it further if need be; you're that kind of person, a fearsome giant returning to the game that will scare the crap out of newbies with not as much confidence to be hit in the face as Esterwyn.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:04 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: I don't see that there was anything wrong with what Esterwyn said, or any cause for Hirota to be so snippy. My in-character post was nothing more than RP fluff of my Ambassador arriving, voting against, and then not really explaining his justification for doing so. It received no side-by swiping. Exactly as Esterwyn noted, people just like to pile on the newbies.

The only reason why I haven't requested a move yet is that I was leaving it for a bit longer to see whether anybody wanted to respond to the Bear's suggested "creative" solution for the matter of using confiscated meat.

I might ask to have some of the more off-topic posts from the last page or so removed, if the Mods will do that in this case, before it's archived.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 am

I think you radically undersell yourself by comparing your vote after 130 odd posts on a range of other topics and participation in draft threads, and a brand new nation with their very first post writing nothing different to what a multitude of newbie nations have said before - and that's even ignoring that you've played this game before and the nations you've represented will be remembered by a lot of the regulars.

I don't feel I was particularly targetting Est, aside from Est being the last nation at that time to write that particular post, was not directed as an attack on any particular poster. In the past I've suggested that the WA should be looking for ways to become more welcoming to newcomers - and obviously I can see how this might be perceived as being counter to that suggestion, but if newcomers are incapable of making the effort to learn, then I'm not sure what (if anything) the WA regulars can do to help them.
Last edited by Hirota on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

OOC: Yes, to be honest Hirota I was surprised, as I remember you always used to pester me to try to be nicer. You were right, too.

Anyway, as I said it doesn't matter, so I'll move on.

IC:

Bears Armed Mission wrote:"Thank you, and you're welcome. As the representatives here of another IDU member nation, you and your mission's other senior staff are entitled to an introductory round of drinks in the Strangers' Bar at my own government's expense."

"My thanks. However, I've advised my staff to lay off the drinks for now until they've got their head around your legalistic interpretation of your own resolution, which does not immediately appear to be incorrect, but which does rather encourage to hit the books and consider what other rather attempts to stretch 'the law means what the law says' to its absolute limits may have been cooked up in the past..."

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer
The Social Democratic Republic of The Dark Star Republic

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives