NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Liberate Democratia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 am

The Rich Port wrote:
EVIL BEYOND COMPARE wrote:
Kalibarr wrote:
EVIL BEYOND COMPARE wrote:It doesn'y matter if you liberate it, most of the old nation have been ban/jected so they can not come back. and the Axis has been there a while so they have alot of influence

if the password is remove defenders will likely move in and clear the ban list.

yes but axis is already there and they will ban the defenders, or we might just leave because the natives are long gone by now

Maybe so. But, again, the natives can't come back either way if a password impedes such a return. It must be removed and the Axis cleared away. Are there any defenders planning on moving in?

Probably, but they wouldn't say so here

Great Brutopia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Brutopia » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:41 am

Jedi-Gangsters wrote:I have no interest in having Democratia as a trophy, that is not how I play NationStates.

I see by your flag that you are a member of Crusaders of Justice, one of the groups that recently "liberated" Feudal Japan. I cannot help noting that the former residents of the region still have not been permitted to return to their home region and many of them were even forcibly ejected. Instead of letting them refound you haven't even restored the original WFE but kept the new one proclaiming the victory of the various involved defenders. After so much attention has been drawn on Feudal Japan, you're using the region to advertise for your groups.

This is not the first time this has happened. A friend of mine, a peaceful resident of a large region (I will not post the name as the event I mention is rather dated), was ejected from his home after it was "liberated" by defenders from a raider attack. They could have simply endorsed the oldest member, a WA nation with a large amount of influence, but instead imposed their control by electing one of their number. The new delegate proudly presented the numerous defender brands in the new WFE, ejected all natives, did not answer queries TGed by residents concerning the announced refounding, and for some time even refused to leave, so that the oldest member and current founder could not restore the region.

All you want to do is impose your rule on other regions and you disguise your intent with a heart-warming story of protecting justice and the poor innocent oppressed nations of the regions involved.
If the "natives" of Democratia (provided you can actually find any) want their region to be liberated, let them submit a WA resolution! No one asked you to start another PR campaign.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:59 am

Great Brutopia wrote:
Jedi-Gangsters wrote:I have no interest in having Democratia as a trophy, that is not how I play NationStates.

I see by your flag that you are a member of Crusaders of Justice, one of the groups that recently "liberated" Feudal Japan. I cannot help noting that the former residents of the region still have not been permitted to return to their home region and many of them were even forcibly ejected. Instead of letting them refound you haven't even restored the original WFE but kept the new one proclaiming the victory of the various involved defenders. After so much attention has been drawn on Feudal Japan, you're using the region to advertise for your groups.

This is not the first time this has happened. A friend of mine, a peaceful resident of a large region (I will not post the name as the event I mention is rather dated), was ejected from his home after it was "liberated" by defenders from a raider attack. They could have simply endorsed the oldest member, a WA nation with a large amount of influence, but instead imposed their control by electing one of their number. The new delegate proudly presented the numerous defender brands in the new WFE, ejected all natives, did not answer queries TGed by residents concerning the announced refounding, and for some time even refused to leave, so that the oldest member and current founder could not restore the region.

All you want to do is impose your rule on other regions and you disguise your intent with a heart-warming story of protecting justice and the poor innocent oppressed nations of the regions involved.
If the "natives" of Democratia (provided you can actually find any) want their region to be liberated, let them submit a WA resolution! No one asked you to start another PR campaign

I could not agree more with that. 'Liberate' Feudal Japan was proposed by a nominal defender 'on behalf of the natives' as well, and as you say, look where that has led - passworded and puppeted. One of the initial objections to liberations was that offensive players could use it to open regions up for attack and for their own aggrandisement - looks like it is being borne out, though not by raiders as previously imagined.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Every time invaders make that argument about Feudal Japan, they just demonstrate why the region hasn't been re-founded yet. Its quite obvious that invaders are still watching the region, so the natives probably don't want to re-found when there's a risk of an invader stealing it.

Martyrdoom
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Martyrdoom » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Sedgistan wrote:Every time invaders make that argument about Feudal Japan, they just demonstrate why the region hasn't been re-founded yet. Its quite obvious that invaders are still watching the region, so the natives probably don't want to re-found when there's a risk of an invader stealing it.

If you don't like that argument being used against you or your cohorts you know what you could do? i.e. do what was 'promised'. Anyways, if a nominal invader group made promises of re-founding or made (merely hypothetical) excuses by saying 'people are watching the region', they'd be laughed off the forum. I don't see why nations such as your good self shouldn't be held to the same standard. Is it because you are the standard?
Last edited by Martyrdoom on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smelled a Spring on the Salford wind

Cromwell Protectorate
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromwell Protectorate » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Elktown wrote:I think that before anything happens, there should be a proper investigation, instead of jumping to quick conclusions. It this bill passes, it is a jump to a conclusion.

((Speaking for Cromwell Protectorate))

Wow Elktown,
One of the few things that we both agree on!
Although, your nation has a history of jumping to conclusions though doesn't it?

Regardless of Absolution vs Elktown regional issues, you make a valid point.
Honourable Benjamin Sisko
Ambassador to Nation States
The United Republic of Cromwell
cromwell protectorate
a lee project

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:48 pm

How would an investigation happen? We set up a committee, they look into things, come back with a report, and people vote on their recommendations? Can anyone actually see that happening?

People arguing for/against resolutions can present any evidence they consider relevant - but at the end of the day, its up to individuals to make a judgement on whether or not they believe it.

If you want more evidence from either side, ask for it, but 'an investigation' is a rather ill-defined, and impractical idea.

Exilia and Colonies
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Exilia and Colonies » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:05 pm

As Democratia's remaining non-invading native I support this resolution.
VEGAN IS SYMBOLIC OPPRESSION! STOP THE MURDER OF PLANTS! GO SUNLIGHT DIET!

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:10 pm

In that case, Goobergunchia votes in favor.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Blotting
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 31, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Blotting » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Exilia and Colonies wrote:As Democratia's remaining non-invading native I support this resolution.

Again, this is why I think that this resolution is a good idea. No one should have to be imprisoned within the walls of an invader regime and since I haven't heard anything that makes the Axis's actions seem necessary then it seems like the best decision would be for this resolution to remove the password and at least create the opportunity for Democratia to be reconstituted as its own region instead of a puppet state.

Kovasckitz
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kovasckitz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Jedi-Gangsters wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Great, you found out how to use copy/paste. Some authors have been known to draft their own resolutions; you might try looking into that next time.

I did use the Liberate Belgium proposal as an outline, but this does not the change fact that the actions taken by The Axis of Evil are anything but wrong. Democratia was a sovereign region, and invading and leaving the region is one thing. Invading the region and locking it up is whole other thing. Liberating Democratia is the honorable thing to do.

I'm sorry, but I can not vote for this resolution knowing this. Really? Take the time to make and original proposal if you care about it. I must vote this down, but a second proposal that is original would certainly be voted for by me.
NationStates - A schizophrenic tale of morality, love, passion, debate and left-wing insanity in the world. Watch the Nations of the world scrape to the top of the pile in an undying effort to not only control the rest of the world but piss it off one person at a time.

Long Spoiler
Skirtingboard wrote:I will destroy the invaders. Through interperative dance.

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Urcea wrote:Are you guys criticizing the messager or the message? As far as I'm concerned, the message itself is solid.

So is poop.

Unless you've one too many tacos.

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

ಠ_ಠ

The Nuclear Robatics
Attaché

Founded: Oct 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Robatics » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Blotting wrote:
Exilia and Colonies wrote:As Democratia's remaining non-invading native I support this resolution.

Again, this is why I think that this resolution is a good idea. No one should have to be imprisoned within the walls of an invader regime and since I haven't heard anything that makes the Axis's actions seem necessary then it seems like the best decision would be for this resolution to remove the password and at least create the opportunity for Democratia to be reconstituted as its own region instead of a puppet state.

Actually are the Axis Of Evil forcing Exilia And Colonies to stay in Democratia? I don't think so, if the native nation wanted to they could have left a long time ago and settled in a new region long ago

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:16 pm

The only reason Feudal Japan is the way it is is because the Liberation measure was summarily repealed. How, I'm not sure, by whom, well, who cares; he's an idiot. Nobunaga's Legacy... has anyone contacted this person?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:59 pm

that is ether a defender or a native's puppet keeping the region from CTEing so they can refound it when ever their ready

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:45 am

I applaud your bravery. Your region shall be liberated. I promise you this.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:43 am

Having taken note of the gloating nature of the World Factbook Entry for Democratia made by the Axis of Evil, and the admittance to cruelty in the destruction of the region, the nation of Gauntleted Fist has decided to support the Liberation of Democratia.

Sincerely,

Farashinikov
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

eh..

Postby Farashinikov » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:13 am

Your sorta trying to change game rules in a way if I remember, mods nor anybody else dont care if someone invades a region because: One you have the ability if your the founder to give the Delegate no control whatsoever , Two if these people are gonna do this well be smart if your the founder and change the settings on your region, and if you dont want to then tough stuff happens and you cant get around it. Not saying I don't like what they do but trully there is going to be this type of gamers and only way this will change is if Max Barry or one of the mods decide to say " Hey I dont want this any more next time this happens life ban!" but that isnt going to happen since if I remember he doesnt want to write any more line of code for the game, so your sol if you think you can change his mind. Just stating the obvious and one last thing this vote is going to pass, be if axis likes it or not. So all you regions that might not have to many people to keep your delegate better get ready cause they are going to be loose and prolly going hunting for another region. Just thought Id warn you all.

The Bruce
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Bruce » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:43 am

I find it interesting that invaders find it unfair to have a liberation resolution remove their password protection of their prize region, when they keep stating that a region should be able to either defend itself or fall. By that logic it’s a weak move for invaders to password protect prize regions, so this resolution is actually helping them back to a purer path of invading, without the crutch of password protection.

One thing I’m curious about is if the writer of this resolution has been in contact with the natives of this region and roughly how many natives are still active after being booted from their region. The length of time it took to put this resolution forward may well have diminished the number of active natives that can reoccupy their region, but given how long this region has been around there should be a few still out there.

Blotting
Civil Servant

Capitalizt

Postby Blotting » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:53 am

The Nuclear Robatics wrote:
Blotting wrote:

Actually are the Axis Of Evil forcing Exilia And Colonies to stay in Democratia? I don't think so, if the native nation wanted to they could have left a long time ago and settled in a new region long ago

Oh, they're not forcing them to stay, but there's a certain level of intimidation going on here with one native nation essentially getting a Hobson's choice -- either leave their home and wind up in some foreign region with completely different customs and traditions or stay in a region that is describe by the invaders as:

All that remains of this once thriving region is a barren landscape blackened and scarred by the terrible destructive force of Axis nukes.

National sovereignty issues outside, that's at least an environmental concern.

The length of time it took to put this resolution forward may well have diminished the number of active natives that can reoccupy their region, but given how long this region has been around there should be a few still out there.

For security issues, I recommend not revealing the size, status, and location of the natives. However, I strongly feel that the Crusaders of Justice know what they're doing and timed this resolution vote specifically so that the reconstitution of Democratia can shift into high gear as soon as the Axis's password is broken.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Blotting wrote:For security issues, I recommend not revealing the size, status, and location of the natives. However, I strongly feel that the Crusaders of Justice know what they're doing and timed this resolution vote specifically so that the reconstitution of Democratia can shift into high gear as soon as the Axis's password is broken.

There must be more defenders organizing a take-back. Speaking of which, where is this Axis of Evil. Will it not defend it's occupation of Democratia? What cowardice holds them back?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Blotting
Civil Servant

Capitalizt

Postby Blotting » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Blotting wrote:For security issues, I recommend not revealing the size, status, and location of the natives. However, I strongly feel that the Crusaders of Justice know what they're doing and timed this resolution vote specifically so that the reconstitution of Democratia can shift into high gear as soon as the Axis's password is broken.

There must be more defenders organizing a take-back. Speaking of which, where is this Axis of Evil. Will it not defend it's occupation of Democratia? What cowardice holds them back?

Well, to be honest, it's not so much that they are cowards but that the numbers are against them. This resolution looks like it's on its way to passage. When it does, they won't stand a chance. The Democratians will flood in and without the extraordinary measure of a password as a sort of "nuke" there's no way they can hold onto their regional delegation seat by force.

But a re-invasion shouldn't the main goal here. The Axis also has the right to coexist peacefully if they want, and the best possible outcome would be a peaceful coexistence between the native Democratians and the invaders. I think that, once the invasion is revoked, the Axis nations should be given the opportunity to legitimately be part of Democratia's governing body and even stand for election as WA delegate. That way we won't have to fight this exact same fight in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by Blotting on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Blotting wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Well, to be honest, it's not so much that they are cowards but that the numbers are against them. This resolution looks like it's on its way to passage. When it does, they won't stand a chance. The Democratians will flood in and without the extraordinary measure of a password as a sort of "nuke" there's no way they can hold onto their regional delegation seat by force.

But a re-invasion shouldn't the main goal here. The Axis also has the right to coexist peacefully if they want, and the best possible outcome would be a peaceful coexistence between the native Democratians and the invaders. I think that, once the invasion is revoked, the Axis nations should be given the opportunity to legitimately be part of Democratia's governing body and even stand for election as WA delegate. That way we won't have to fight this exact same fight in a couple of weeks.

That is, IF they can co-exist peacefully. Reason does not require numbers. If they wish to reason their actions, let them come on and argue their cases. Until they do that, public opinion shall be against them. So long as their tirades and tyranny continues, then, most likely, the WA shall oppose them.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Kandarin
Diplomat

Democratic Socialists

Postby Kandarin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Farashinikov wrote:Your sorta trying to change game rules in a way if I remember, mods nor anybody else dont care if someone invades a region because: One you have the ability if your the founder to give the Delegate no control whatsoever , Two if these people are gonna do this well be smart if your the founder and change the settings on your region, and if you dont want to then tough stuff happens and you cant get around it. Not saying I don't like what they do but trully there is going to be this type of gamers and only way this will change is if Max Barry or one of the mods decide to say " Hey I dont want this any more next time this happens life ban!" but that isnt going to happen since if I remember he doesnt want to write any more line of code for the game, so your sol if you think you can change his mind. Just stating the obvious and one last thing this vote is going to pass, be if axis likes it or not. So all you regions that might not have to many people to keep your delegate better get ready cause they are going to be loose and prolly going hunting for another region. Just thought Id warn you all.

The game code has been changed. Liberation resolutions are now as much a feature of the game as the regional control system that allows invasions to occur in the first place. This is not a stealth maneuver snuck into the game by wily defenders; it is a feature developed and added by the admins. Appeals to the status quo fall short in this case, because the existence of Liberations is now the status quo. If you want that status quo changed, you need to appeal to the admins, not argue with defenders.
I wish I remember who wrote:Games like Nationstates are like a big cardboard box, and there are two kinds of people in the world. The kind who look at the empty void inside the box and ask "Where the hell is it?" and the kind who jump into the box with their friends and make it into a fort, or a spaceship.

EVIL BEYOND COMPARE
Envoy

Founded: Aug 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EVIL BEYOND COMPARE » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:32 pm

yet you are the last one. every one else has been ban/jected so why would you want the region for yourself

Cydell
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Against

Postby Cydell » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 pm

The WA should not have the authority to interfere with a regions internal affairs. The Allied States of Cydell vote against the resolution.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives