NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Rainforest Protection Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dellin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dellin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 pm

This discussion is getting rather silly at this point. I'm reminded of the "dance science" debate in the Access to Science in Schools thread.

Probably because the bases of your repeals seem to often be minor and, frankly, based on pretty silly and outmoded ideologies about things. They often call for a reductio ad absrudum to even discuss them in a coherent way.

Mostly because I am usually confused since you generally say you are for the idea, but x, y, or z minor thing is usually wrong, and then all of a sudden your ideological center opens up and you are really opposed in a lot of ways that would make a resolution bend squares into triangles.

I'm against this repeal, obviously, but I actually do think you will get the resolution repealed, since there are enough nations out there that think this resolution destroys their economy or does other crazy global warming conspiracy things.
Interim WA Ambassador: Sarith Judea, Protector of Dellin

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Humans possess an intellect and free will. Other animals (and plants) do not.

Not everyone is Catholic Auralia. Animals are intelligent beings with free will.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:14 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Humans possess an intellect and free will. Other animals (and plants) do not.

Not everyone is Catholic Auralia. Animals are intelligent beings with free will.

While I'm not one to defend Catholicism all that fiercely, I don't see how it's at all relevant. Furthermore, I don't think it's a fair assessment to consider non-sapient animals as being intelligent and having free will.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

The Saint James Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint James Islands » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:

While I'm not one to defend Catholicism all that fiercely, I don't see how it's at all relevant. Furthermore, I don't think it's a fair assessment to consider non-sapient animals as being intelligent and having free will.

Well, I don't defend Catholicism at all either. And I agree that your assessment is quite rational, Sciongrad.

However, to assume that everything in the natural world is here for man's benefit is the hallmark of an anthropocentric attitude towards our world. It's certainly not healthy when we want to ensure our continued existence on this planet.
Classical republican, environmental student
Pro: Parliamentarism, civic virtue, positive liberty, soft Euroscepticism, the scientific method, facts
Anti: Presidentialism, authoritarianism, corruption, populism, hard Euroscepticism, misinformation
IC posts made by this nation are non-canonical.
This nation does not reflect my actual political views.
Do not use orally after using rectally.
Guilherme Magalhães
Senator for Ilhas de Santiago Ocidentais
Staunchly independent
[23:53] <StJames> ^fake news^

The death of the West will not be a homicide, but a suicide.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Auralia wrote:Slash-and-burn agriculture can be practiced in a sustainable manner. Yes, much of the time it's not, but that doesn't justify an absolute ban on the practice. See here, here, here, here and here.
[...]
No. The article I highlighted demonstrated that rainforest restoration appears to be the norm following mining operations in Brazil: "A legal requirement to restore the forest has been under way since 1984, with nine million trees planted up to 2011 over 4,500 hectares to recreate high biodiversity rainforest."
[...]
Fair enough. Then mandate sustainable forest management, not absolute bans on development.

Nine million trees planted vs. how many cut down? If Brazil mandates "sustainable forest management," how is it that deforestation continues to vastly outpace reclamation? Easy, lax enforcement and the fact that rainforest reclamation (when it's practiced at all) is slow and expensive at best, and ineffective at worst. Without clear-cut (pardon the expression) language regarding specific logging practices, nations will simply come up with their own definitions of "sustainable."

Again, just because slash and burn can be done sustainably, doesn't mean that it will. In fact, since slash and burn is usually a cost-saving technique, it is almost certain that it will not. The costs of unsustainable slash and burn methods must be raised to be equivalent to sustainable methods, which will not be done by the much-heralded free market.

Auralia wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:I'm sorry, what? On whose authority?

God (per Genesis) or natural law (per humanity's relationship with the environment since the dawn of civilization), take your pick. But even if you accept neither, I can think of no other reason for preserving the environment, aside from ensuring that it will continue to benefit future generations of humans. Can you?

There is no "purpose" for the biosphere. Nobody put it there for us to use, it's not indestructible, and there are no laws which declare we have a right to destroy it without consequence. Homo sapiens is simply another animal on this wet rock of a planet, and we're only going to get one.

Since I doubt you'll be moved by aesthetics, let's put it in economic terms: important things that are productive now will become unproductive. This will generate uncertainty due to the presence of externalities, which ultimately is to the detriment of the economy.

Auralia wrote:That's a straw man. Sustainable development =/= environmental destruction.
[...]
And you don't seem to understand that nature changes all the time and is far more resilient than you give it credit for.

Further, there is a difference between environmental protection and absolute bans on development.

What was that you were saying about straw men? Actual environmentalists, the ones who truly care about sustainable development as opposed to pipe dreams, recognize the need to balance economic development with ecological impact. What you are proposing is not sustainable on the scale required to offset the slash and burn practices that pose the greatest threat to the rainforest. The regrowth phase takes so long, and the other species so specialized, that it cannot be distinguished from habitat destruction. Fragmentation can and does lead to extirpation of entire native species, and provides conduits for invasive species.

The fact of the matter is that rainforests are extremely sensitive to human activity, and we have much more to learn about them before we can even predict the full scope of our impact or the losses we are taking in other industries. Biodiversity found in rainforests make them important to drug discovery, while new species are still being discovered in the more remote parts of the Amazon. For short-sighted and ultimately very temporary economic gain, you are sacrificing things you didn't even know you needed.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 am

Auralia wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:I'm sorry, what? On whose authority?

God (per Genesis) or natural law (per humanity's relationship with the environment since the dawn of civilization), take your pick. But even if you accept neither, I can think of no other reason for preserving the environment, aside from ensuring that it will continue to benefit future generations of humans. Can you?

Everyone can. Please tell me what your problem is. You want to use the environment as if it's your toy. You give answers like 'oh, well we always destroyed stuff, why should we stop?'. Why? Because it's bad. And just because you've been doing bad things since prehistory does NOT mean that you should keep doing them. We are trying to advance. The WA's purpose is to advance and do good, not give excuses to why we should destroy things.

Every time I read one of your posts, I wonder how you can believe these things. :blink:
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 am

I don't know what to say now, mainly because I am almost convinced about the inability of this council to function with a sense of decency. First I an accused of being a social darwinist because I cited his theories about survival of the fittest (proven) in the context not at all pertaining to humans, and now I find a lack of sympathy in any sort in this, and many other, uncouth resolutions. I ask you, what does it take to find some benevolence around here?

@ Auralia,

I believe this statement answers any and all questions and statements asked of me in your previous question/statement. If you don't understand, use (not so discriminating and demeaning) context clues.
Last edited by The Remean Lordship on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 pm

The Scientific States wrote:Not everyone is Catholic Auralia. Animals are intelligent beings with free will.

While there are some people who suggest that the tourist has free will, we have not been able to observe this in the laboratory.

OOC: Hey, look it up, my national animal is the 'tourist' and they are really quite tasty.

I mean do intelligent beings actually come to the Antarctic to spend the winters in total isolation studying the most obvious things? I think not. Tourists are clearly migratory animals who have lost all common sense.

See? Does this look intelligent to you?
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 pm

The Remean Lordship wrote:I don't know what to say now, mainly because I am almost convinced about the inability of this council to function with a sense of decency.

"Almost?" I've been convinced of this for years. And don't give me this nonsense of the "survival of the fittest." Only the damn lucky survive; the fittest often get hit with some awful disaster just when they least expect it.

I mean take the great dinosaurs. They were all "fit" ... until the earth's oxygen supply dropped in half and then the asteroid crashed into a large sea. Then they were all DEAD.

You can all be as fit as you want to be; one Gamma Ray Burst and everyone dies!
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 am

Yes, people. The best way to help the world get better is to complain about what is wrong without actually doing anything about it. I applaud you. Here: :clap:

Why, this entire WA thing is useless. Who needs it? Let's delete it all! :roll:

Now, seriously, we need to make sure that this doesn't pass. And I think that will be easy to do, seeing that Auralia's side contains Auralia, and it's Auralia vs. the world.
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:26 am

Auralia wrote:I can think of no other reason for preserving the environment, aside from ensuring that it will continue to benefit future generations of humans.

"Ahem!"
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Auralia wrote:I can think of no other reason for preserving the environment, aside from ensuring that it will continue to benefit future generations of humans.

"Ahem!"

Forgive me. Future generations of sapients.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 am

Auralia wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:
"Ahem!"

Forgive me. Future generations of sapients.

Though I do not know much about Urrsish culture, I believe that they have a connection to these very forests we're destroying.
As well as any animal-based nation might, including mine.

Burtonia WA Embassy
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Burtonia WA Embassy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 pm

HorusLand wrote:Though I do not know much about Urrsish culture, I believe that they have a connection to these very forests we're destroying.
As well as any animal-based nation might, including mine.

Your nation, like any other, reserves the right to preserve its own forests if the act is repealed. This repeal effort removes one specific, ill-conceived international regulation, not every single conservation effort by individual member-states.

Zandalari
Attaché

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zandalari » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Zandalar Zandali steps up the microphone, "Ah yes, the rainforest protection act, it had such good intents, however it fell short on it's implementations, it disregarded nations with a logging industry, or nations primarily consisting of rainforests, such as Zandalari. We were disheartened to see that the original pass due to it containing completely obvious flaws. We, the Zandalari people are in favor of repealing the atrociously written Rainforest protection act. Taeiwanniwanga Atal'Wahassem." Zandalar Zandali steps down from the podium, giggling the way to his seat.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 pm

UNITED FEDERATION OF CANADA

IMPERIAL MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

At the behest of Empress Beatrice, and Prime Minister Jack Layston I have been instructed to cast a vote of NAY for this resolution. We cannot in good conscience go against the the wishes of our people, the environment, or our region in a matter that received the overwhelming support of this assembly. The resolution being repealed passed by a landslide vote, and is now trying to be repealed on a thin veil of economics. What is an economy, when a nation has no environmental beauty to back it up?

Warmest regards,

Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Zandalari
Attaché

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zandalari » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 pm

At the behest of Empress Beatrice, and Prime Minister Jack Layston I have been instructed to cast a vote of NAY for this resolution. We cannot in good conscience go against the the wishes of our people, the environment, or our region in a matter that received the overwhelming support of this assembly. The resolution being repealed passed by a landslide vote, and is now trying to be repealed on a thin veil of economics. What is an economy, when a nation has no environmental beauty to back it up?

Warmest regards,

Zandalar Zandali jumps up and starts speaking before he reaches the microphone, "Now sir, I understand where you are coming from. But you have to realize that some nations, including mine are almost exclusively Rainforest, this resolution, which I hope is repealed, severely cuts into the economic power that Zandalari and many others can be. Now Zandalari cares a large amount about our ecosystem, we can do a lot of business here without destroying the ecosystem, but according to this resolution, we are being a detriment to our environment and the world, even though foreign and our own ecologists say we are perfectly fine. I hope I've convinced you to vote yea, if not, I'm not really sure what to say. E'chuta Atal'ChesterPearson." He slowly goes for his chair, hoping to interject again.
Last edited by Zandalari on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WallaWakkaWalla
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WallaWakkaWalla » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Auralia, In this repeal of yours, you mention 2 things that I would like clarification and documentation on. First, how CAN slash-and-burn agriculture done for subsistence farming be done in an environmentally sound way, when all that I've read up on the subject says that due to the nutrient-poor soil native to tropical rainforests, the method causes significant and PERMANENT damage to the ecosystem? Second, leading a bit from the first, can you provide statistically significant examples of where mining or slash-and-burn has occurred and the damage to the area was temporary and naturally repaired? I apologize if you've answered this before but when statements like this are made, one must ask for evidence to support your claim.
Last edited by WallaWakkaWalla on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Ambassador Eric Wayview, Designated Representative of W3 to the World Assembly*

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 pm

AND................................................... Here come the Wikipedia links!

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 pm

WallaWakkaWalla wrote:Auralia, In this repeal of yours, you mention 2 things that I would like clarification and documentation on. First, how CAN slash-and-burn agriculture done for subsistence farming be done in an environmentally sound way, when all that I've read up on the subject says that due to the nutrient-poor soil native to tropical rainforests, the method causes significant and PERMANENT damage to the ecosystem? Second, leading a bit from the first, can you provide statistically significant examples of where mining or slash-and-burn has occurred and the damage to the area was temporary and naturally repaired? I apologize if you've answered this before but when statements like this are made, one must ask for evidence to support your claim.

Slash-and-burn: here, here, here, here and here.

Rainforest restoration: here, here, here, here, here and here.

Lun Noir
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lun Noir » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Settled at the seat on the assembly panel, the representative of the island chain chimes in.

Preserving the environment has its place, and everyone has a different notion of how and when to do it best. It is our position that this responsibility and judgement fall to the jurisdiction of each sovereign Nation, rather than in the realm of international law. Permit the peoples who live in a place decide how to protect or utilize their own lands.

Some decades ago, we clear cut such a forest for reasons unique to our region. The forest was home to a number of venomous species and invasive plant life which constantly sought to overtake surrounding developments. It posed an ongoing safety hazard and health hazard, and the resources it provided were a boon. Had we been obligated by this shortsighted 'one-size-fits-all' protection act at that time, we would continue to have hundreds of citizens per year being paralyzed or killed simply by virtue of living near this natural landscape which some people find beautiful.

Certain environmentalists might find that despicable, and might object to the transformation which took place after. They're hypocrites, who either don't realize or refuse to recognize that such actions aren't destroying the land, just changing its ecosystem. Where that rainforest once was, now is drylands with their own far less hazardous wildlife, and are much more friendly for human habitation. Our own environmentalists have found that these drylands have actually had a very beneficial environmental impact: Minerals from the desert-like region gather in the system of streams and lakes on the island and fertilize the riverbanks, as well as pooling in a basin downstream, which has made the soils in those area far more rich in nutrients which the forest was previously drinking up all of like a gluttonous pig. In other words, the net result was more overall fertile landscape rather than all of it being concentrated to one, small uninhabitable area.

While some peoples and Nations might fanatically seek to protect rainforests, it is here believed that such a view is extremely narrow minded. This is not a solution, it is a knee jerk reaction. Responsible solutions require understanding the particulars on a case by case basis, at the local level and as such, attempting to make blanket international judgments makes no sense to us.

We vote Yea for repealing this resolution.
Last edited by Lun Noir on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:44 am

Mmkay, so who's redoing the Rainforest Protection Act?

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 am

HorusLand wrote:Mmkay, so who's redoing the Rainforest Protection Act?

Since when does every piece of (potentially) repealed legislation need to be replaced? The WA survived many, many years WITHOUT the Rainforest Protection Act, as it was only passed last month. I know I haven't been very active (or, well, at all active on the forums) as of late, but I wouldn't think asking "who's going to replace it?" is or should be of a primary concern to WA regulars ...
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:49 am

Mousebumples wrote:
HorusLand wrote:Mmkay, so who's redoing the Rainforest Protection Act?

Since when does every piece of (potentially) repealed legislation need to be replaced? The WA survived many, many years WITHOUT the Rainforest Protection Act, as it was only passed last month. I know I haven't been very active (or, well, at all active on the forums) as of late, but I wouldn't think asking "who's going to replace it?" is or should be of a primary concern to WA regulars ...

There was talk about replacing it, and it was the first intention of the repeal. The RPA has good intentions, but is written badly. That was the reason for the repeal.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:01 am

HorusLand wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Since when does every piece of (potentially) repealed legislation need to be replaced? The WA survived many, many years WITHOUT the Rainforest Protection Act, as it was only passed last month. I know I haven't been very active (or, well, at all active on the forums) as of late, but I wouldn't think asking "who's going to replace it?" is or should be of a primary concern to WA regulars ...

There was talk about replacing it, and it was the first intention of the repeal. The RPA has good intentions, but is written badly. That was the reason for the repeal.

Libraria and Ausitoria is working on a replacement.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives