NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Rainforest Protection Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:09 am

The Remean Lordship wrote:The one you made on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 pm.

You mean this?

Auralia wrote:The TRPA does not determine what constitutes "special legal protection and restrictions to exploitation" in protected areas. The clause establishing the TRPA doesn't refer to protected area status at all, actually.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 am

Auralia, could you answer this post? I think that it might be a major flaw in your repeal.
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 am

I think the Remean ambassador meant this.
Auralia wrote:The TRPA does not determine what constitutes "special legal protection and restrictions to exploitation" in protected areas. The clause establishing the TRPA doesn't refer to protected area status at all, actually.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:34 am

The Akashic Records wrote:I think the Remean ambassador meant this.

Well, it doesn't, as I've pointed out. I'd also like a response to the first point as well.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:36 am

HorusLand wrote:A few years ago, some American project was allowed into my RL country. They mined minerals, etc.

Birds are still falling from the sky, as the location is the only mountain pass through which they migrate. They tendto fall on top of the mass of dead trees.

The 'concerned' part of the repeal convinced me to vote against it. If it's even put to vote.

I certainly feel for you, but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 am

Auralia wrote:Concerned by the target resolution's ban on mineral extraction in tropical rainforest areas when it causes any surface ecosystem damage, which fails to take into account that such damage may only be temporary and that the land can be reclaimed after resource extraction is complete.

Wrong. It's not temporary. It lasts for years and years and kills off everything. Everything. And that's what the initial resolution was trying to prevent.
This is all down to an environmentalist vs. anthropocentric battle.

EDIT: And the land can be reclaimed. The newly barren land. Irrelevant to the resolution and to the repeal.
Last edited by Horusland on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:55 am

HorusLand wrote:
Auralia wrote:Concerned by the target resolution's ban on mineral extraction in tropical rainforest areas when it causes any surface ecosystem damage, which fails to take into account that such damage may only be temporary and that the land can be reclaimed after resource extraction is complete.

Wrong. It's not temporary. It lasts for years and years and kills off everything. Everything. And that's what the initial resolution was trying to prevent.

You're wrong. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. I think you should read more about land reclamation before you make statements like that.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:00 am

Auralia wrote:
HorusLand wrote:Wrong. It's not temporary. It lasts for years and years and kills off everything. Everything. And that's what the initial resolution was trying to prevent.

You're wrong. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. I think you should read more about land reclamation before you make statements like that.

I'm sorry, but I really don't get it. So, who reclaims the land? And I hope you're not trying to say that there aren't ecological disasters in the area after the mining.

I'm also sorry if I'm disturbing you in any ay by posting here.
The fact is that I have a very different posting style. I support my opinions until someone proves them wrong. I have no problem with any argument, as long as you prove it.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 am

HorusLand wrote:
Auralia wrote:You're wrong. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. I think you should read more about land reclamation before you make statements like that.

I'm sorry, but I really don't get it. So, who reclaims the land? And I hope you're not trying to say that there aren't ecological disasters in the area after the mining.

I'm not denying that land is disturbed by mining. All I'm saying is that the damage is temporary. In Alberta, oil sands companies must pay to restore land affected by mining to equivalent land capacity after they're finished with it. This involves soil placement, re-vegetation, tree planting, you name it. They also have to monitor the land for 15+ years.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:19 am

Auralia wrote:
HorusLand wrote:I'm sorry, but I really don't get it. So, who reclaims the land? And I hope you're not trying to say that there aren't ecological disasters in the area after the mining.

I'm not denying that land is disturbed by mining. All I'm saying is that the damage is temporary. In Alberta, oil sands companies must pay to restore land affected by mining to equivalent land capacity after they're finished with it. This involves soil placement, re-vegetation, tree planting, you name it. They also have to monitor the land for 15+ years.

Really?
Well, you just convinced me. If someone promises to re-make the resolution, I'm voting for this. :)

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 am

HorusLand wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Really?
Well, you just convinced me. If someone promises to re-make the resolution, I'm voting for this. :)

Glad to hear it. :)

Islands of Apollo
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Son, I am disapoint

Postby Islands of Apollo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 am

Auralia » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Norway and Iceland wrote:
We would like to ask if the proposing delegation have a replacement for the said Act?

We don't intend to write a replacement ourselves, no.

Don't waste our time, make a better version of the proposal instead of just throwing it away. I am against the repeal.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:23 am

Islands of Apollo wrote:Don't waste our time, make a better version of the proposal instead of just throwing it away. I am against the repeal.

That's not quite how things work around here. If you repeal, you don't have to replace. (Plus someone else was writing a replacement last I looked.)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am

Islands of Apollo wrote:

Don't waste our time, make a better version of the proposal instead of just throwing it away. I am against the repeal.

So you're against because he's not replacing it?
Seriously?
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:29 am

Saveyou Island wrote:So you're against because he's not replacing it?

He's allowed his opinion. It was just somewhat rudely expressed.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:34 am

Islands of Apollo wrote:

Someone else is.

Capitalist Producers
Attaché

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Capitalist Producers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:48 pm

We fully support repeal. We are 100% on board.

Norway and Iceland wrote:We would like to ask if the proposing delegation have a replacement for the said Act?

-and-
Norway and Iceland wrote:On another note, we thank the Ambassador for his reply, however, we urge him to have a replacement ready before submitting the repeal. Forests are at stake.

If one has infected tissue excised from one's body, is one then required to replace the infection?

I don't think we need to replace it. There are very few nations that do not practice reforestation. Those that don't can sink in their own mud. It is really none of our business.

The Scientific States wrote: highly doubt that. You'd be surprised, but some people actually care for the environment.

Oh contraire oh great Science States. We. Like most others care a great deal about the environment. It is pinheads with Global Warming con games that we object to.

The Remean Lordship wrote:Why are all of you trying to repeal these perfectly fine resolutions?

Because it is unreasonable in scope and authority.

Araraukar wrote:He's allowed his opinion. It was just somewhat rudely expressed.

The act was somewhat rudely passed on us. So what's your point?
Last edited by Capitalist Producers on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong."
- Voltaire

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Capitalist Producers wrote:The act was somewhat rudely passed on us. So what's your point?
We're not sure if the ambassador read the terms when the good ambassador joined the WA.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Despite the fact that we are simply ignoring the resolution (as we do all environmental ones), we will support a repeal. Keep up the good work.
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:08 am

Capitalist Producers wrote:If one has infected tissue excised from one's body, is one then required to replace the infection?

I don't think we need to replace it. There are very few nations that do not practice reforestation. Those that don't can sink in their own mud. It is really none of our business.

Their own mud = their own air. What air? Oh, yeah, no air. But wait a sec..... isn't the WA supposed to help nations, instead of letting them 'sink in their own mud'? Yep.

The 'oh, it doesn't affect us so we don't care' thing is not good.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:18 am

I intend to submit this within a few days.

Tenebriso
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tenebriso » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 pm

HorusLand wrote:Their own mud = their own air. What air? Oh, yeah, no air. But wait a sec..... isn't the WA supposed to help nations, instead of letting them 'sink in their own mud'? Yep.

Helping is different than forcing them to enact policies that contradict how their economies and trade work. If you want to help countries then create a commission that helps them reforest the land after it has been used. Or create a resolution that will fund an international coalition to research better reforestation techniques. Don't assume that yourself or some committee out in another country knows how to run the affairs of anyone else's.
American: Ron Paul Supporter. European: David Farage/UKIP Supporter.

NatSov proponent in the WA except in (most) cases of Civil and Human Rights.

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:51 am

Tenebriso wrote:
HorusLand wrote:Their own mud = their own air. What air? Oh, yeah, no air. But wait a sec..... isn't the WA supposed to help nations, instead of letting them 'sink in their own mud'? Yep.

Helping is different than forcing them to enact policies that contradict how their economies and trade work. If you want to help countries then create a commission that helps them reforest the land after it has been used. Or create a resolution that will fund an international coalition to research better reforestation techniques. Don't assume that yourself or some committee out in another country knows how to run the affairs of anyone else's.

Yes, but I informed him that 'They can destroy their own countries. Why should we care?' is not good thinking.
Now notice what I bolded in your response. Both of you seem to not want the WA meddling in others' affairs. But that is what the WA does. It regulates things to help the world. If you don't like it, then the perfect solution to not being controlled by the WA would be exiting the WA. Your solutions are very good, but don't bring the 'why should I care?/we shouldn't be controlled' card, because that is the purpose of the WA.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 am

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 am

Auralia wrote:
HorusLand wrote:Wrong. It's not temporary. It lasts for years and years and kills off everything. Everything. And that's what the initial resolution was trying to prevent.

You do realize that Alberta doesn't have any tropical rainforests, right Auralia? Comparing Alberta to Ecuador is apples to oranges, the only way they could be more different would be if you compared tropical rainforests to desert or tundra. There are no large-scale reclamation techniques for rain forests out of the bare proof of concept stages.

I'm against the repeal, and I'll support the proposed replacement should the repeal pass.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives