NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal GA#243 "Language Preservation"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:41 am

Iron Confederation wrote:But is it the role of the World Assembly to preserve language? I don't believe it is.
There's a reason it's a Cultural Heritage resolution. Language is a cultural heritage, and language also facilitates communication, the very thing that we're using to know what the other is talking about.

While some nations are more than happy to let whole cultures and languages die, does not the international community have a duty to preserve it, or at the very least, help to understand them? At the very least, it prods some of the more irresponsible nations into doing something for the betterment of the understanding of those who live within their border, instead of letting that cultural diversity die, or letting any and all misconceptions stay. For those seeking to better understand other nations' language and culture, the particular resolution that this repeal seeks to pull out of the books, makes it easier for information to be compiled and researched. It is an international issue, and we're not quite sure why making things easy to find and study is a Bad ThingTM.

Or does the delegate of Iron Confederation have a better theory for what should fit into a Cultural Heritage resolution?
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Iron Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Confederation » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:01 am

Frankly, I don't believe there should even be Cultural Heritage resolutions. Let historians compile that information on their own; I see no reason why the governments of the WA should even be able to meddle in culture.

And I don't see how this is a international issue at all. How exactly will the fates of the nations of the WA be affected if Language Preservation is repealed?
Moderate Libertarian.
Pro: Gun Rights, Gender Equality, States' Rights, Freedoms of Speech and Religion, Civil Rights, Public Transportation, Necessary Corporate Restrictions, Alternate Energy, Drug Legalization, Minimum Wage
Anti: Animal Rights, Environmentalism, Abortion (after brain activity), Welfare (except for the disabled, etc.)
Mixed/Neutral/Moderate: Almost everything else
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

New Bazlantis wrote:Sometimes I swear all the Wilsonian idealists that couldn't cut it in the real world have retreated to NS where they don't have to deal with the harsh, but true, realities of 'grown up' international relations.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:41 am

Iron Confederation wrote:But is it the role of the World Assembly to preserve language? I don't believe it is.
It's the role of the World Assembly to do whatever a majority of it's members decide. Since #243 passed, it's reasonable to state that a majority of WA members disagree with you and your perception of what the WA should legislate upon.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Iron Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Confederation » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

Hirota wrote:
It's the role of the World Assembly to do whatever a majority of it's members decide. Since #243 passed, it's reasonable to state that a majority of WA members disagree with you and your perception of what the WA should legislate upon.

That only means there was a majority that disagreed with me when GA #243 was passed. Perhaps the WA's opinion on what it should legislate on has changed since then.
Moderate Libertarian.
Pro: Gun Rights, Gender Equality, States' Rights, Freedoms of Speech and Religion, Civil Rights, Public Transportation, Necessary Corporate Restrictions, Alternate Energy, Drug Legalization, Minimum Wage
Anti: Animal Rights, Environmentalism, Abortion (after brain activity), Welfare (except for the disabled, etc.)
Political Compass

New Bazlantis wrote:Sometimes I swear all the Wilsonian idealists that couldn't cut it in the real world have retreated to NS where they don't have to deal with the harsh, but true, realities of 'grown up' international relations.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 pm

I repeat what I said earlier:

Language is one of the most pivotal parts of culture. Allowing nations to strip people of their language is an act of forced assimilation.

People have the right to choose their cultural heritage. Anyways, it doesn't hurt a nation that has more than one language, look at Europe: In Belgium, the Walloons and Flemish speak different languages, in Switzerland they speak French, German, Italian and Romansh; the list goes on. GA#243 doesn't seem to be a major issue, and I am surprised that it even made quorum. Passing it would be a hurt to peoples everywhere.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

The Last Homely House
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Homely House » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 am

Language is a sacred part of life. If you think about it, it is one of the most incredible things that we have. We are able to communicate in a way that is very rigid, and everyone can understand. I mean, how cool is that?

To go through all of this, to require your language be recorded and get an alphabet if needed, is disregarding the respect for it. It is the ultimate thing that we depend on. So why are we blatantly disregarding that everyone holds their language valued. If a culture does not wish for their language to be recorded, then do not force it down their throat.
WA Delegate of Mordor
Mordor in the WA!
Its true! We are hitting the WA full force. Prepare yourself!
August - September 2013

Be a boss

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:10 am

"Because the net trend in societies which do -not- undertake a form of language preservation is the decline and eventual extinction of minority languages. If anything, the concerted effort to preserve said languages and their notable works of oral and written literature is more germane towards 'respecting' a language since it ensures that even if it undergoes a process of linguistic extinction, it remains preserved."
Last edited by Valendia on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

The Last Homely House
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Homely House » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:54 am

If a group does not wish for their language to be recorded, then it should not be done. It is their language, it is sacred to them. So why must they give it up if it is sacred and they do not wish for it to be done?
WA Delegate of Mordor
Mordor in the WA!
August - September 2013

Be a boss

Valendia
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valendia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:15 am

"I fail to see how writing down a language is 'giving it up' especially considering that languages tend to last longer when they have a written form - even if that is the case, such peoples would represent a minor outlier and a detriment that is vastly outweighed by the benefits of GA#243."
From the desk of;
Justinius Cato, Chief Ambassador to the World Assembly
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Republic of Valendia
“It is the craft of speech that makes one strong; for one's greatest strength is in words, and diplomacy mightier than all fighting.”

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:58 am

Iron Confederation wrote:Frankly, I don't believe there should even be Cultural Heritage resolutions. Let historians compile that information on their own; I see no reason why the governments of the WA should even be able to meddle in culture.

And I don't see how this is a international issue at all. How exactly will the fates of the nations of the WA be affected if Language Preservation is repealed?
I'm sorry ambassador, but I must disagree. A heritage is called as such because of the span of time involved in the formation of its significance.

Just because you fail to see the long term effects of the preservation of language and subsequently, the culture related to it, doesn't mean that it's not important. Just because the WA has an automagic translation device that automatically translates what we're saying into whatever language that we understand, doesn't mean that the information doesn't come from somewhere.

The main reason, I suppose, would be that it would at least prod nations into not disregarding the importance of the preservation of language.

The Last Homely House wrote:Language is a sacred part of life. If you think about it, it is one of the most incredible things that we have. We are able to communicate in a way that is very rigid, and everyone can understand. I mean, how cool is that?

To go through all of this, to require your language be recorded and get an alphabet if needed, is disregarding the respect for it. It is the ultimate thing that we depend on. So why are we blatantly disregarding that everyone holds their language valued. If a culture does not wish for their language to be recorded, then do not force it down their throat.
I'm sorry, but such isolationism is one of the reasons for the resolution to stay. As the Valendian delegate had said, the effort of preserving a language is in and of itself a form of utmost respect, that future generations may know and understand the various languages that exists.

Unless letting something as important as lessons from a different culture and language be forgotten is what the Dark Lord Sauron classifies as respect, oh, wait.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

The Last Homely House
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Homely House » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 am

Unless letting something as important as lessons from a different culture and language be forgotten is what the Dark Lord Sauron classifies as respect, oh, wait.

Excuse me-You don't bring the dark lord himself into this.
WA Delegate of Mordor
Mordor in the WA!
August - September 2013

Be a boss

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:55 am

The Last Homely House wrote:

Excuse me-You don't bring the dark lord himself into this.

I'm not. I was simply demonstrating guilt by association, a fallacious argument meant as a bad joke, which you apparently didn't enjoy.

Now, back to the matter at hand; why shouldn't the WA help in an endeavour that would take many more years without international cooperation? I reiterate; how does repealing a resolution that help take away years from research time, help speed up research, as that is what your argument in the repeal suggests?

Does the sanctity of a language mean that the language should be left alone, forgotten and misunderstood?

Again, the International Language Research Center is not responsible for recording the languages, the Universal Library Coalition is.

And again, the term notable is up the literature most prominent, in that language, to the speakers of that language, or even translated works, of those linguistic origins.

And please, ambassador, the construction of alphabets with the help of natives won't change a language irreversibly into some monstrous, unrecognizable, unspeakable language. To reiterate, languages undergo change (a synonym of alter) as they are used by speakers, regardless of their nativity to the language, so I can't quite see why you think that change in languages is something preventable. The preservation of language would, at least, help capture the form by which a language is used when it is studied, so I can't understand your position on the matter in the repeal.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 pm

We're nearing vote, everyone.
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Saveyou Island wrote:We're nearing vote, everyone.

Still trying to figure out how the fuck this even reached quorum...............

Needless to say, I will be voting STRONGLY against this crap.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Saveyou Island wrote:We're nearing vote, everyone.

Still trying to figure out how the fuck this even reached quorum...............

Needless to say, I will be voting STRONGLY against this crap.
Rubber stampers, and probably a TG campaign of sorts.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm

UNITED FEDERATION OF CANADA

IMPERIAL MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

At the behest of Empress Beatrice, and Prime Minister Jack Layston, I have been instructed to cast a vote of NAY in regards to this proposal. I am also pleased to say I was the FIRST one to cast a vote on the matter of this terrible resolution, and do hope for it's speedy demise within these hallowed halls.

Warmest regards,

Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Faikliren
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Faikliren » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I highly disagree with repealing this resolution. Faikliren's cultural heritage will be threatened if we do not preserve our two languages. I hope other nations view the threat it is to their individual culture if this act is repealed.
Last edited by Faikliren on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
International Organisations
A capitalist nation. This nation fits some of my ideology.

NADPOLS Warfare Level: Code 100
NADPOLS Cyber Warfare Level: NP-1

Lun Noir
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lun Noir » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Faikliren wrote:I highly disagree with repealing this resolution. Faikliren's cultural heritage will be threatened if we do not preserve our two languages. I hope other nations view the threat it is to their individual culture if this act is repealed.

An incredulous look is cast by the fresh faced representative seated from the island chain of Lun Noir

How is your culture under imminent threat by this repeal? No one's saying that you can't work to preserve your own languages and culture, and it's certainly not saying that you must forfeit your cultural heritage. There's nothing preventing nations who value such things from combining efforts towards that end.

The nation of Lun Noir isn't overly impacted by GAR 243, but we are not a sentimental people. Languages and cultures that are valuable and influential survive. The tribes and peoples that were nothing more than stepping stones for the greats are irrelevant.

Solely on ideological grounds, which some may find offensive, we believe there are much more important things to dedicate international resources and brilliant minds to, and are voting Yea for this repeal. If it fails, it will be an eye-rolling inconvenience, but nothing more.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Lun Noir wrote:The nation of Lun Noir isn't overly impacted by GAR 243, but we are not a sentimental people. Languages and cultures that are valuable and influential survive. The tribes and peoples that were nothing more than stepping stones for the greats are irrelevant.

We're not exactly fond of the idea that people are simply stepping stones for a select few, and nations with policies like yours simply justifies the need for the target resolution to stay in place. While you may not deem them important, other nations might find them interesting, or perhaps there are some things in their culture that might contribute to the furtherance of the creative arts of entertainment, or even reflective of the lesser parts of your history, that others may get a more complete picture of what it is. Though, then again, not that many nations are fond of hard work, as can be seen from the initial support of the voting.
About my posts:
Coleman T. Harrison,

Norway and Iceland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norway and Iceland » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Her Majesty the Queen has commanded me to enter a vote against this resolution.
Þór Þórusson
Private Secretary to the Queen
The United Kingdom of Norway and Iceland

Iron Confederation
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Confederation » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 am

The Akashic Records wrote:
Iron Confederation wrote:Frankly, I don't believe there should even be Cultural Heritage resolutions. Let historians compile that information on their own; I see no reason why the governments of the WA should even be able to meddle in culture.

I'm sorry ambassador, but I must disagree. A heritage is called as such because of the span of time involved in the formation of its significance.

Oh, so because it's been around for a while, it's much more significant. That makes so much sense.

By that logic, the Iron Confederation would be more significant than the Akashic Records, because it's been around for longer and therefore has more heritage, therefore is more significant.
The Akashic Records wrote:Just because you fail to see the long term effects of the preservation of language and subsequently, the culture related to it, doesn't mean that it's not important. Just because the WA has an automagic translation device that automatically translates what we're saying into whatever language that we understand, doesn't mean that the information doesn't come from somewhere.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me in clear terms how the repeal of Language Preservation would affect the common citizens of the World Assembly. An ambiguous "loss of culture effects" reason isn't going to cut it for me.
The Akashic Records wrote:The main reason, I suppose, would be that it would at least prod nations into not disregarding the importance of the preservation of language.

Again, you still haven't convinced me why we need to preserve language.
Moderate Libertarian.
Political Compass

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 am

Hirota wrote:

That argument cuts both ways. If we should simply let members decide, then shut up about the current repeal and how it is going pass. The members have spake. :roll:
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:50 am

This repeal boils down to four basic arguments:

Saveyou Island wrote:NOTING that nations may have a large quantity of languages,

REALIZING such nations may be unable to record all languages,
ACKNOWLEDGING that some languages have an overwhelming amount of notable works of literature which have yet to be recorded, and recording these works is a task which may take many years of research,
REALIZING that there are billions of languages used throughout all nations, and recording data for each one would be far too time-consuming and overwhelming for nations, and the International Language Research Center,

Translation: "This resolution will make us do work. Hard work."
Saveyou Island wrote:SADDENED nations are required to interfere with languages lacking an alphabet, which may alter the language

CONVINCED that some cultures would not like their languages to be recorded, for it is sacred to them and any interference made by the government would go against their beliefs,

Translation: "Some of us don't want to do the work. How dare the WA require us to interfere with languages lacking an alphabet! (Never mind that the target resolution has an exception for languages with no alphabet, making this 'alphabet-interference' argument a big lie).

Also, religious freedom has something to do with this!! We all know the WA shouldn't be passing resolutions that might offend some hypothetical religious prohibition against recording language. While we're at it, we have some religious problems with other resolutions, too..."
Saveyou Island wrote:FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGING that the term "notable works" used in the resolution is a vague term, as the resolution does not clearly state what makes a work of literature "notable",

Translation: "We don't know what this word means. If only there was a resolution that promoted the study of linguistics, maybe then we could understand what the word 'notable' means in context. But alas, we're left with no understanding of the resolution because it uses a word that is subject to reasonable interpretation."

Saveyou Island wrote:BELIEVING the International Language Research Center is not needed to record the billions of languages,

Translation: "Remember all that hard work involved in recording languages? The work we don't want to do? Yea, we don't need any international help doing it."

Obviously, the Cowardly Pacifists are OPPOSED to this repeal. Language Preservation is a cultural heritage proposal that we voted against when it was up for a vote. Seeing as how a super-majority of nations supported it at the time, and considering the lack of a good argument for repeal, we must vote against repealing it now.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Lun Noir
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lun Noir » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Obviously, the Cowardly Pacifists are OPPOSED to this repeal. Language Preservation is a cultural heritage proposal that we voted against when it was up for a vote. Seeing as how a super-majority of nations supported it at the time, and considering the lack of a good argument for repeal, we must vote against repealing it now.

The trouble with coming up with a 'good argument' for repeal is that there isn't one, any more than there is a good argument supporting obsessive language preservation. It's all up to purely subjective societal values. Some think that recording the scribblings of obscure and obsolete people are somehow going to help us somehow with facing today's challenges.. like rising costs of energy, limitations in material science, researching the newest advances in organ regrowth. Oh, but wait, those dead cultures didn't even have a printing press. And if they did, they wouldn't be faced with the extinction of their language.

The only real argument is whether or not you believe the World Assembly should be involved in this linguistic archaeological exercise in the first place, which... the people of Lun Noir do not. If we were to re-write this repeal for the 'Language Preservation' resolution, it would be more directly honest: Let those that wish to, study dead languages and people on their own dime, and let WA funds go towards something more practical.

La Belle Noiseuse
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby La Belle Noiseuse » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am

We are but a young nation and know little of the ways of politics, but we in La Belle Noiseuse have already been enlightened as to the importance of understanding language as a first step to understanding a people. Thanks to the eye-opening commentary by Potted Plants United, we have already initiated programs for biopological (as opposed to human-centric anthropological) outreach to the shrubberies in our cities and the trees that form our domiciles. Once we have established contact, we fully intend to discuss options for issuing reparations to the descendants of those crops we have grown then slaughtered in our farms. This would never have happened had a plant not shouted "Yop!"

From this, it is apparent that language is key to representation, to empathy, and to power. A people without a language that is understandable may not be seen as a people by those in power, and indeed, there have been historical attempts to silence a people by conveniently "forgetting" their language and inducing linguistic hegemony. Resolution #243 explicitly attempts to avoid this by specifying that nations are to "record the alphabet of the language, or, if no written form of the language exists, to work with native speakers to create a standard transcription of the language." This directly addresses the thoughtful concerns of those worried about cultural violation; by basing this work on collaboration with native speakers, this truly becomes a joint effort across cultures and an opportunity for further learning, as suggested in the Resolution.

Additionally, LBN eagerly anticipates the future research opportunities provoked by Resolution #243; this is not just a mission for our generation, but also constitutes a moral mission to pass down to our children and our children's children (or seedlings). As a small nation, we do not have much infrastructure to support widespread efforts yet, but as stated in the Resolution, we intend to request professional aid: "Allows nations to request professional aid from the ILRC for the purpose of conducting language surveys." Surely any nation that is overwhelmed by the task has ready assistance from the ILRC and from other nations with more developed research sectors. We agree with the courageous stand of Cowardly Pacifists that walking away from hard work is not admirable.

Perhaps a case still exists for repealing the Resolution, perhaps to produce a better proposal. But as it stands, the case for repeal is not convincing.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives