NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Access to Science in Schools"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Fellow Delegates,

Coldwater is strongly opposed to repealing "Access to Science" For thousands of years, humanity has been relying on science to improve itself. Without science, there wouldn't be jets, spacecraft, and even that light in your house wouldn't exist if it wasn't for science. It makes perfect sense to add such a fundamental subject to human society to class and repealing this would simply make it harder for member states to improve their technology and society. Education is best dealt with at the national level, not the international level as nations are different and one resolution dealing with education may not work for all member states.

Thank you.

Fellehad
Civilian

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Roots of science

Postby Fellehad » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:25 am

Fellehad notes that science does not in anyway contravene religion. At its core Science has yet to prove how it all strated. We can predict the behaviors of the world but can not explain the origin. Our best explanation is that at some point billions of years ago Nothing became Something. Fellehad notes that due to this inexplicable fact that science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

Imperial States of the Empire
Attaché

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of the Empire » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am

Completely disagree with the resolution. Science is a basic fundamental necessity in life. Without the teaching of science we wouldn't have had great advancements in the medical and the architectural field.
INN: | Maple Leaf Riots Intensify | A7 Conference Success? | Tax Cuts? | Hunterian Leader Poisoned |

Trevinzetta
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Trevinzetta » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:56 am

Imperial States of the Empire wrote:Completely disagree with the resolution. Science is a basic fundamental necessity in life. Without the teaching of science we wouldn't have had great advancements in the medical and the architectural field.

This resolution isn't banning or discouraging science. It's merely removing the requirement that every government school teach it, whether it's necessary or not.

J. McKeynes,
Ambassador to the World Assembly
Republic of Trevinzetta
WA Ambassador: James McKeynes
Deputy WA Ambassador: Thomas Borgenhern

Currently the WA nation for Welsh Cowboy

Evidentia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Evidentia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:50 pm

All careers and courses of study include some element of science, to a greater or lesser degree. People who only understand the specific processes of their work, but not WHY those processes work (which is the domain of scientific inquiry), will never be able to respond appropriately or adequately to unanticipated complications or unforeseen opportunities in their careers. Science is never irrelevant; vote "no" on this proposal.

Terre Vieille
Civilian

Founded: Aug 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Science is Important no matter the field.

Postby Terre Vieille » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Science can be an intrumental tool in an independent adult's life. To understand the world around one's self one needs to understand science. Without understanding people are just mindless drones going about their buisness without a clue as to the workings of the world.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:09 pm

The problem that I have with this repeal is it allows nations to choose what theories to teach. This is a problem because it does not level the global playing field, but it also can force theocracy (in any form) upon people of nations. Thats what I am opposed to, as people should have a right to choose their own beliefs. Repealing this takes (in my nation's opinion) takes away this fundamental right of human choice.

PLEASE VOTE NO!!!
Last edited by The Remean Lordship on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I would just like to remind everyone that this is the resolution they want repealed.

1. Inclusion of peer-reviewed science in schools’ curricula shall from now on be mandatory in public schools and schools that receive governmental aid.

2. Funding for such inclusion shall come from the national education budget and/or – upon request and/or acceptance – from nations willing to provide funding, related reading, human resources, or other resources deemed necessary according to the parties involved.

3. Private schools shall have full freedom to choose to teach or not to teach whatever peer-reviewed scientific theories they want, regardless of the W.A. nation they happen to be situated.

4. Whenever Religious views acknowledged as opposing peer-reviewed scientific theories are part of a school curriculum, the time allocated for teaching said peer-reviewed scientific theories in said schools shall be at least the same time that is allocated for said Religious views.

5. For greater clarity, religious views shall not in any way, shape, or form be banned from schools’ curricula by means of international law; however, individual nations shall retain full freedom to do so by means of national law.

6. For even greater clarity, exposure to scientific theories views shall never, ever be a vehicle – be it by objective of subjective means, or any other means – to force acceptance of scientific theories. Freedom of conscience is paramount, and a person can be exposed to scientific theories and reject them altogether for itself, without any negative consequences whatsoever in what regards a person’s public life.

The repeal consists of lies and balderdash.

Recognizing that many institutions of higher learning do not include peer-reviewed science in their curricula as it is irrelevant to the material being taught, such as:

graduate schools teaching law and business,

vocational schools teaching the vast majority of trades, such as locksmithing, piano tuning or tailoring, and

arts schools teaching the visual or performing arts,

But didn't I just quote ...

3. Private schools shall have full freedom to choose to teach or not to teach whatever peer-reviewed scientific theories they want, regardless of the W.A. nation they happen to be situated.

You mean a government run school of dance? :blush:
You mean a government run vocational school? :blush:

Never mind that the definition of school clearly does not cover either.

This is a close one. It is not too late. I would remind the delegates that when you walk through manure it's not a good idea to put your foot in your mouth. Vote NAY, today.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:You mean a government run school of dance? :blush:

Not government run, government funded.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Dellin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dellin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:I would just like to remind everyone that this is the resolution they want repealed.

1. Inclusion of peer-reviewed science in schools’ curricula shall from now on be mandatory in public schools and schools that receive governmental aid.

2. Funding for such inclusion shall come from the national education budget and/or – upon request and/or acceptance – from nations willing to provide funding, related reading, human resources, or other resources deemed necessary according to the parties involved.

4. Whenever Religious views acknowledged as opposing peer-reviewed scientific theories are part of a school curriculum, the time allocated for teaching said peer-reviewed scientific theories in said schools shall be at least the same time that is allocated for said Religious views.

5. For greater clarity, religious views shall not in any way, shape, or form be banned from schools’ curricula by means of international law; however, individual nations shall retain full freedom to do so by means of national law.

6. For even greater clarity, exposure to scientific theories views shall never, ever be a vehicle – be it by objective of subjective means, or any other means – to force acceptance of scientific theories. Freedom of conscience is paramount, and a person can be exposed to scientific theories and reject them altogether for itself, without any negative consequences whatsoever in what regards a person’s public life.

The repeal consists of lies and balderdash.

Recognizing that many institutions of higher learning do not include peer-reviewed science in their curricula as it is irrelevant to the material being taught, such as:

graduate schools teaching law and business,

vocational schools teaching the vast majority of trades, such as locksmithing, piano tuning or tailoring, and

arts schools teaching the visual or performing arts,

But didn't I just quote ...

You mean a government run school of dance? :blush:

Never mind that the definition of school clearly does not cover either.

This is a close one. It is not too late. I would remind the delegates that when you walk through manure it's not a good idea to put your foot in your mouth. Vote NAY, today.

This needs to be sent far and wide. :bow:

I am so hoping for a flip on this ridiculous repeal attempt.
Interim WA Ambassador: Sarith Judea, Protector of Dellin

The Roman Populus
Civilian

Founded: Jul 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Vehemently Oppose.

Postby The Roman Populus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 pm

This is a disgrace.

Wheeled States of Bifid
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wheeled States of Bifid » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 am

Although I honored my duty as Delegate and voted in favor of this repeal I must state that I am strongly against it. The reasoning behind the repeal is little more than ideology and will leave our children at a disadvantage.
Afforess wrote:This is how Democracy dies - with thunderous applause.
Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
J.E. Wheeler, Guardian, Wheeled States of Bifid, WA Delegate, Democratium

"Insanity is a gradual process, don't rush it."

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Generation 36 (The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Snuzztopia
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Snuzztopia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:09 pm

An understanding of science is a basic requirement of good citizenship. How is one to vote on scientific matters, or elect persons to manage these matters for them, without an understanding of the subject?

Unfortunately, this measure is being used to oppress the sciences in the name of religion. We in Snuzztopia are strongly against this.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Snuzztopia wrote:Unfortunately, this measure is being used to oppress the sciences in the name of religion. We in Snuzztopia are strongly against this.

The good Ambassador from Snuzztopia, like many others here, is arguing against a strawman, and with as much dogmatism as he imagines his opponents possess. Distinguished representatives, let us stick to the merits of this proposal, or rather the lack thereof, as the basis of our arguments.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

The Saint James Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint James Islands » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 pm

The ambassador from the Saint James Islands takes his seat in the debating chamber after eating a late meal of chicken wings.

I agree with the honourable Ambassador from the Eternal Kawaii, though I too am concerned about the theocratic bent of the Auralians. Nevertheless, I shall ignore such concerns and note that my opposition to this repeal comes from the arguments of the repeal and the contents of the target resolution. I have read and re-read the target resolution many times in the course of drawing up a replacement proposal, a drafting session for which I shall soon open. I have come to the conclusion that the concerns of the Auralian ambassador are misguided.

Auralia wrote:Remarking that the term "school" includes institutions of higher learning,

1. graduate schools teaching law and business,
  2. vocational schools teaching the vast majority of trades, such as locksmithing, piano tuning or tailoring, and
  3. arts schools teaching the visual or performing arts,

Since the word "school" was never defined in the target resolution, one would assume that it would be up to the nation in question to define for the purposes of compliance. If a nation wishes to exclude institutions of higher learning, a nation could reasonably pass a law doing so and still remain compliant with the letter and spirit of the law. Therefore, if this is the main concern of the ambassador, it is a fairly weak complaint. While for many other resolutions, a misdefined word would certainly be a claim for repeal, the word "school" was never misdefined, or even defined in the first place. Therefore, the Saint James Islands has lodged a vote AGAINST the repeal and has started to draft a replacement resolution in the event that this repeal does succeed.
Classical republican, environmental student
Pro: Parliamentarism, civic virtue, positive liberty, soft Euroscepticism, the scientific method, facts
Anti: Presidentialism, authoritarianism, corruption, populism, hard Euroscepticism, misinformation
IC posts made by this nation are non-canonical.
This nation does not reflect my actual political views.
Do not use orally after using rectally.
Guilherme Magalhães
Senator for Ilhas de Santiago Ocidentais
Staunchly independent
[23:53] <StJames> ^fake news^

The death of the West will not be a homicide, but a suicide.

United States of SouthEast Asia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of SouthEast Asia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 pm

The sciences are necessary for societal progress

Off course there are areas in schools that do not require too much of sciences, but even if that is the case, the sciences should and must remain a compulsory part of the education process.

The Right Honourable Benjamin Goh
Prime Minister of United States of SouthEast Asia
Minister for the National Reserves
Commander-in-Chief for the USSA Army

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 am

At the behest of Empress Beatrice and Prime Minister Jack Layston, I have been instructed to cast a vote of NAY for this repeal. While our vote will make little difference at this point, we feel we must still register our disgust for this pointless, and quite frankly ecclesiastical repeal of a perfectly acceptable resolution, that caused no harm, yet accomplished so much.

We do have the highest hopes that one of our esteemed colleagues has a replacement in the works, to renew the protections that are so needlessly being removed.

Warmest regards,

Last edited by Chester Pearson on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Snuzztopia
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Snuzztopia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:06 am

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:The good Ambassador from Snuzztopia, like many others here, is arguing against a strawman, and with as much dogmatism as he imagines his opponents possess. Distinguished representatives, let us stick to the merits of this proposal, or rather the lack thereof, as the basis of our arguments.

My support of secularism should not be perceived as dogmatism. Let it be noted that the intention of law matters as much as the written word of law. Is the intention not to gradually establish the dominance of religion over science?

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 am

Snuzztopia wrote:
The Eternal Kawaii wrote:The good Ambassador from Snuzztopia, like many others here, is arguing against a strawman, and with as much dogmatism as he imagines his opponents possess. Distinguished representatives, let us stick to the merits of this proposal, or rather the lack thereof, as the basis of our arguments.

My support of secularism should not be perceived as dogmatism. Let it be noted that the intention of law matters as much as the written word of law. Is the intention not to gradually establish the dominance of religion over science?

Laws are not enforced according to their "intention", they are enforced according to the letter of the law. Again, the ambassador from Snuzztopia is attacking a strawman and not the real issue.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

The Saint James Islands
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saint James Islands » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:18 am

Snuzztopia wrote:

The Saint Jamesian ambassador very much agrees with you on the intentions of the Auralian ambassador. However, that is not the reason for our vote. I would urge the Ambassador from Snuzztopia to read the resolution up for repeal and decide his vote based on the merits and flaws of that resolution, not the intentions of the Auralian ambassador.
Classical republican, environmental student
Pro: Parliamentarism, civic virtue, positive liberty, soft Euroscepticism, the scientific method, facts
Anti: Presidentialism, authoritarianism, corruption, populism, hard Euroscepticism, misinformation
IC posts made by this nation are non-canonical.
This nation does not reflect my actual political views.
Do not use orally after using rectally.
Guilherme Magalhães
Senator for Ilhas de Santiago Ocidentais
Staunchly independent
[23:53] <StJames> ^fake news^

The death of the West will not be a homicide, but a suicide.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:01 am

Snuzztopia wrote:Is the intention not to gradually establish the dominance of religion over science?

Uh, no. :roll:

Jacobios
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jacobios » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 pm

As President of Jacobios, who is in favour of programs in the field of science I shall not against the repeal as I feel by funding our children in the sciences, it shall greater their knowledge to advance our nations.
Jacob Jones
Prime Minister of Jacobios

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Auralia wrote:
Snuzztopia wrote:Is the intention not to gradually establish the dominance of religion over science?

You are positive about that Mr. Russell?

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:39 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Auralia wrote:

You are positive about that Mr. Russell?

Yes. I would have thought that the repeal arguments made that very clear, and I strongly resent the assertions to the contrary.

SverigeKins
Secretary

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby SverigeKins » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Strongly opposed.

As another ambassador stated, "The act does not infringe on religious rights in any way, shape, or form. The education of basic sciences should be required for every curriculum and it is necessary for a global government to enforce this. The world must be educated, and we can't stand idly by while children fail to be given a basic education."

The wording does not require advanced education to mandate science education, but requires institutions to offer science education.
Last edited by SverigeKins on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives