NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Stopping Invasive Species [GAR #254 Replacement]

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

[PASSED] Stopping Invasive Species [GAR #254 Replacement]

Postby Ceni » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Delegates, Approve my proposal Here.

Stopping Invasive Species
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: All Businesses | Sponsor: Ceni


The World Assembly,

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED at the economic damage caused by the impact of invasive species;

REALIZING that this is a major international problem which can be solved by cooperation of member nations;

HEREBY:

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient species posing a serious risk of causing detrimental effects upon being introduced to a new environment;

REQUIRES the following measures to prevent the introduction of invasive species to the environments of member nations:
Member nations shall treat ballast water on ocean going vessels to kill any invasive species that may be present,
Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether such species pose a risk of becoming an invasive species or spreading disease
Member nations shall develop specialized response units to eliminate or remove invasive species from the environment;

PROHIBITS the transfer of invasive species from one nation to another - member nations shall work actively to prevent the transfer of invasive species across their borders through all means necessary except through closing national borders;

OUTLAWS practices of the shipping industry conducive to the accidental spread of invasive species, namely the discharge of ballast water in coastal waters or internal waterways and use of inadequate vessel-cleaning procedures; and

TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with creating an international registry, with which member nations shall share information regarding invasive species, including, but not limited to: species that may be considered invasive, the conditions under which any given species may be considered invasive, and effective methods for dealing with invasive species.

Coauthored by Icamera
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Slafstopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1711
Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Slafstopia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Tell me, has 254 been repealed? No? Why not wait for a repeal to pass first?
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.50
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neo-Conservative: -9.48
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -8.09
Socio-economic Quiz: Anarchism 100%, Marxism 92%, Democratic Socialism 92%
Economic Quiz: Ghandian 100%
Alignment: Chaotic Evil


Slavyukriy, by Ceni.
Officially, Slafstopia is Lyapzem.

User avatar
Lord Neo
Secretary
 
Posts: 35
Founded: Jun 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Neo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm

My suggestions for edits:

Ceni wrote:Stopping Invasive Species
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: All Businesses | Sponsor: Not Decided


The World Assembly,

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED that invasive species have caused billions of dollar of economic damage;

VIEWING accidental overproliferation of invasive species as not only a threat to ecosystems across the world, but also a significant, yet preventable financial burden for businesses and governments;

HEREBY:

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sentient species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

FURTHER DEFINES "sentient" as having intelligence that has an I.Q greater than 60 points;

INSTITUTES an international ban on the introduction of potential invasive species to nations in which said species are likely to overtake indigenous flora and fauna; and

MANDATES that nations:
a) require the treatment of ballast water on ocean-going vessels;
b) require species being imported be screened for invasiveness and/or disease risk;
c) monitor for invasive species;
d) have a rapid response team to eliminate invasive species, up to the nation's discretion;
e) screen inbound and outbound carriers of cargo or passengers for invasive species;
f) share whatever information they have about species that can turn out to be invasive, the conditions under which those species pose such a risk, and the effectiveness of whatever methods have been attempted for controlling such species, to be collated and redistributed through the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) in an international registry;
g) give businesses assistance in dealing with the adverse effects of invasive species
H) require customs officials to take necessary action against individuals or businesses suspected of cross-border smuggling of potential invasive species via airports, docks, post, or national and local borders.


reasons for edits: using "sapient" could disqualify intelligent species that are of equal or greater intelligence, thus "sentient" when used with a proper description would achieve the proper results.


DELEGATE of the Knights of the Round Table

User avatar
Slafstopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1711
Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Slafstopia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Oh god no. That's the worst definition of sentience. Someone in a coma could probably be defined as non-sentient under that definition.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.50
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neo-Conservative: -9.48
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -8.09
Socio-economic Quiz: Anarchism 100%, Marxism 92%, Democratic Socialism 92%
Economic Quiz: Ghandian 100%
Alignment: Chaotic Evil


Slavyukriy, by Ceni.
Officially, Slafstopia is Lyapzem.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Slafstopia wrote:Tell me, has 254 been repealed? No? Why not wait for a repeal to pass first?


Well, you see, passing a resolution takes time. The more time I have this out there, the more time people can review it. Also, the is a repeal that is supported by both of us and I want to make sure there is an adequate placement before the repeal goes to vote

.
Lord Neo wrote:
reasons for edits: using "sapient" could disqualify intelligent species that are of equal or greater intelligence, thus "sentient" when used with a proper description would achieve the proper results.


No, actually intelligent species are by definition sapient. Sentient only means being able to feel pain (some say emotions too). Sapient is a better word for the WA.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Slafstopia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1711
Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Slafstopia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Whatever you say. Nothing's certain though. I just hope you don't spend ages writing a good proposal requiring a repeal which never succeeds. Just in case.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.50
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neo-Conservative: -9.48
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -8.09
Socio-economic Quiz: Anarchism 100%, Marxism 92%, Democratic Socialism 92%
Economic Quiz: Ghandian 100%
Alignment: Chaotic Evil


Slavyukriy, by Ceni.
Officially, Slafstopia is Lyapzem.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Slafstopia wrote:Whatever you say. Nothing's certain though. I just hope you don't spend ages writing a good proposal requiring a repeal which never succeeds. Just in case.


It's actually just a proposal I had written a long time ago with some edits. No worries.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Sciongrad
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3015
Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:54 pm

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED that invasive species have caused billions of dollar of economic damage;


While this may certainly be valid, I find that it's generally preferred to steer clear of stating "facts" like these in proposals. Perhaps something more along the lines of:

ACKNOWLEDGING the capacity of invasive species to massively impact the ecological equilibrium of any given ecosystem,

REALIZING that such invasive species may cause serious economic, social, and ecological damage to member nations,


If you decide to go with something along these lines, then the final preambulatory clause could be changed to -

"NOTING that the over proliferation of invasive species is a preventable financial and ecological burden for businesses and governments,"


- in order to maintain a single stream of thought.

INSTITUTES an international ban on the introduction of potential invasive species to nations in which said species are likely to overtake indigenous flora and fauna; and


Now to the operative clauses. This one sounds a bit clunky, and is unnecessarily specific. Perhaps -

"PROHIBITS the introduction of invasive species to ecosystems that may be impacted negatively by the introduction of such a species;"


- would suffice? I feel it's more lucid.

MANDATES that nations:
a) require the treatment of ballast water on ocean-going vessels;
b) require species being imported be screened for invasiveness and/or disease risk;
c) monitor for invasive species;
d) have a rapid response team to eliminate invasive species, up to the nation's discretion;
e) screen inbound and outbound carriers of cargo or passengers for invasive species;
f) share whatever information they have about species that can turn out to be invasive, the conditions under which those species pose such a risk, and the effectiveness of whatever methods have been attempted for controlling such species, to be collated and redistributed through the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) in an international registry;
g) give businesses assistance in dealing with the adverse effects of invasive species
H) require customs officials to take necessary action against individuals or businesses suspected of cross-border smuggling of potential invasive species via airports, docks, post, or national and local borders.


This clause needs to be broken up into several clauses, simply for the sake of clarity. Might I suggest:

REQUIRES the following measures to prevent the introduction of invasive species to the environments of member nations:
  1. Member nations shall treat ballast water on ocean going vessels,
  2. Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether or not they may be considered invasive, and/or for their potential disease risk,
  3. Member nations shall develop specialized response units to eliminate or remove invasive species from the environment;

PROHIBITS the transfer of invasive species from one nation to another - member nations shall work actively to prevent the transfer of invasive species across their border through all means practical and necessary;

ESTABLISHES an international registry within the World Assembly Science Program with which member nations may share information regarding invasive species, including, but not limited to: species that may be considered invasive, the conditions under which any given species may be considered invasive, and/or effective methods for dealing with invasive species;


I feel that this is a very worthy topic for international consideration, and I wish the delegation of Ceni the best of luck in their endeavors. We hope you take our suggestions into consideration.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly


Ideological Bulwark #271


User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
I feel that this is a very worthy topic for international consideration, and I wish the delegation of Ceni the best of luck in their endeavors. We hope you take our suggestions into consideration.


I've taken a lot of your suggestions under consideration and also have decided that you've made so many suggestions and revisions that you'll be named a coauthor, along with Icamera.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Sciongrad
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 3015
Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Ceni wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:
I feel that this is a very worthy topic for international consideration, and I wish the delegation of Ceni the best of luck in their endeavors. We hope you take our suggestions into consideration.


I've taken a lot of your suggestions under consideration and also have decided that you've made so many suggestions and revisions that you'll be named a coauthor, along with Icamera.


I'm grateful that your Excellency has decided to use some of our suggestions! Although do bear in mind the branding rule - only one co-author may be listed, and if this is the case, I feel Icamera has put much more effort in to this, and as such, is more deserving of the role than I am. Although I sincerely appreciate your Excellency's sentiment.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly


Ideological Bulwark #271


User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14080
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Ceni wrote:I've taken a lot of your suggestions under consideration and also have decided that you've made so many suggestions and revisions that you'll be named a coauthor, along with Icamera.

You can only name one co-author "legally", I think.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Ceni wrote:I've taken a lot of your suggestions under consideration and also have decided that you've made so many suggestions and revisions that you'll be named a coauthor, along with Icamera.

You can only name one co-author "legally", I think.

I've edited the proposal accordingly
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Bump
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Abacathea
Minister
 
Posts: 2060
Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Abacathea » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Comments in Red, edits in blue.

Stopping Invasive Species
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: All Businesses | Sponsor: Ceni


The World Assembly,

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED that invasive species have caused billions of dollars of economic damage;

VIEWING accidental overproliferation of invasive species as not only a threat to ecosystems across the world, but also a significant, yet preventable financial burden for businesses and governments;
This feels... awkward to me, not sure about anyone else, but i feel it could be cleaner

HEREBY:

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

INSTITUTES an international ban on the introduction of potential invasive species to nations in which said species are likely to overtake indigenous flora and fauna;
Really? That seems extremely rigid, what if I already have an invasive species issue and want to introduce a competitor species to balance it out (granted this doesnt always work, but still)

REQUIRES the following measures to prevent the introduction of invasive species to the environments of member nations:
Member nations shall treat ballast water on ocean going vessels,
Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether or not they may be considered invasive, and/or for their potential disease risk,
Member nations shall develop specialized response units to eliminate or remove invasive species from the environment;

[color]So you're telling me, you're dictating my customs department, and forcing me to develop a task force to remove invasive species, which up until now I've failed to do, and you wont let me introduce a competitor via you're above ban.... shit.[/color]

MANDATES that nations or other groups desiring to introduce any potentially beneficial non-native species conduct highly thorough research into the potential consequences thereof and maintain a fund for use in population control efforts should they become necessary;

Hold up, so now I can introduce species, so long as it's not considered to be "invasive"... LOOPHOLE!

PROHIBITS the transfer of invasive species from one nation to another - member nations shall work actively to prevent the transfer of invasive species across their border through all means practical and necessary;

OUTLAWS practices of the shipping industry conducive to the accidental spread of invasive species, namely the discharge of ballast water in coastal waters or internal waterways and use of inadequate vessel-cleaning procedures; and

TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with creating an international registry within the WASP with which member nations shall share information regarding invasive species, including, but not limited to: species that may be considered invasive, the conditions under which any given species may be considered invasive, and/or effective methods for dealing with invasive species.

Coauthored by Icamera


Overall, having read this act in detail, as it presently stands we would have to vote against.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Abacathea wrote:Comments in Red, edits in blue.

Stopping Invasive Species
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: All Businesses | Sponsor: Ceni


The World Assembly,

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED that invasive species have caused billions of dollars of economic damage;

VIEWING accidental overproliferation of invasive species as not only a threat to ecosystems across the world, but also a significant, yet preventable financial burden for businesses and governments;
This feels... awkward to me, not sure about anyone else, but i feel it could be cleaner

HEREBY:

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

INSTITUTES an international ban on the introduction of potential invasive species to nations in which said species are likely to overtake indigenous flora and fauna;
Really? That seems extremely rigid, what if I already have an invasive species issue and want to introduce a competitor species to balance it out (granted this doesnt always work, but still)

REQUIRES the following measures to prevent the introduction of invasive species to the environments of member nations:
Member nations shall treat ballast water on ocean going vessels,
Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether or not they may be considered invasive, and/or for their potential disease risk,
Member nations shall develop specialized response units to eliminate or remove invasive species from the environment;

[color]So you're telling me, you're dictating my customs department, and forcing me to develop a task force to remove invasive species, which up until now I've failed to do, and you wont let me introduce a competitor via you're above ban.... shit.[/color]

MANDATES that nations or other groups desiring to introduce any potentially beneficial non-native species conduct highly thorough research into the potential consequences thereof and maintain a fund for use in population control efforts should they become necessary;

Hold up, so now I can introduce species, so long as it's not considered to be "invasive"... LOOPHOLE!

PROHIBITS the transfer of invasive species from one nation to another - member nations shall work actively to prevent the transfer of invasive species across their border through all means practical and necessary;

OUTLAWS practices of the shipping industry conducive to the accidental spread of invasive species, namely the discharge of ballast water in coastal waters or internal waterways and use of inadequate vessel-cleaning procedures; and

TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with creating an international registry within the WASP with which member nations shall share information regarding invasive species, including, but not limited to: species that may be considered invasive, the conditions under which any given species may be considered invasive, and/or effective methods for dealing with invasive species.

Coauthored by Icamera


Overall, having read this act in detail, as it presently stands we would have to vote against.


Thanks for the suggestions. Made some changes.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Abacathea
Minister
 
Posts: 2060
Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 am

You still need to edit dollar - dollars in your preamble
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

User avatar
Araraukar
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14080
Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 am

Your mention of treating the ballast water lacks an objective - treat ballast water how? for what? "Treat" verb has more than one meaning, and without something like "to kill everything" added to your usage, it's pretty meaningless.
- Linda Äyrämäki, acting ambassador in the absence of miss Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk.

Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Araraukar wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:a cosmopolitan hammer
United Massachusetts wrote:Can we all call ourselves "cosmopolitan hammers"?
Us cosmopolitan hammers
Can teach some manners
Often sorely lacking
Hence us attacking
Silly GA spammers

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 am

Abacathea wrote:You still need to edit dollar - dollars in your preamble


Changed it.

Araraukar wrote:Your mention of treating the ballast water lacks an objective - treat ballast water how? for what? "Treat" verb has more than one meaning, and without something like "to kill everything" added to your usage, it's pretty meaningless.


Edited it- invasive species may be found in ballast water, so I changed it to sop some of that ambiguity
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 am

Bump
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7314
Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:57 pm

This proposal is far more well written than GA #254. Several issues with definitions and loopholes are dealt with in a proper fashion here.

As the author of the repeal, I approve of this new draft.

Cheers!

--Berg
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

User avatar
Discoveria
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:00 am

Ceni wrote:
Stopping Invasive Species
Category: Environmental | Industry Affected: All Businesses | Sponsor: Ceni


The World Assembly,

SHOCKED that invasive species have massively impacted and changed the ecology of regions;

APPALLED that invasive species have caused billions of dollars of economic damage; Better to avoid the real world reference, e.g. "APPALLED at the economic damage caused by the impact of invasive species;"

VIEWING accidental overproliferation of invasive species as a threat to ecosystems across the world and a significant financial burden for businesses and governments; This is redundant. You've already mentioned ecological damage and cost as two reasons for regulating invasive species. You're not adding anything new here. Instead, I would replace it with a clause saying that the WA should regulate invasive species because of the international nature of the problem or the solutions which require international co-operation.

HEREBY:

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment; But surely the reason we want to regulate invasive species is that they cause damage, not that they reproduce quickly? This clause fails to include species that are highly damaging but grow slowly.

REQUIRES the following measures to prevent the introduction of invasive species to the environments of member nations:
Member nations shall treat ballast water on ocean going vessels to kill any invasive species that may be present,
Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether or not they may be considered invasive, and/or for their potential disease risk, I would improve the grammar here by rephrasing as: "Member nations shall screen imported species to determine whether such species pose a risk of becoming an invasive species or spreading disease"
Member nations shall develop specialized response units to eliminate or remove invasive species from the environment;

PROHIBITS the transfer of invasive species from one nation to another - member nations shall work actively to prevent the transfer of invasive species across their border through all means practical and necessary; borders sounds better. Not keen on "practical and necessary" since they have contrasting meanings, but I'll let it slide.

OUTLAWS practices of the shipping industry conducive to the accidental spread of invasive species, namely the discharge of ballast water in coastal waters or internal waterways and use of inadequate vessel-cleaning procedures; and

TASKS the World Assembly Science Program (WASP) with creating an international registry, with which member nations shall share information regarding invasive species, including, but not limited to: species that may be considered invasive, the conditions under which any given species may be considered invasive, and/or effective methods for dealing with invasive species. Replace "and/or" with 'and'.

Coauthored by Icamera
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the edits. Changed accordingly.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 am

This has been supported by the author of the repeal and the author of the original resolution. Any more comments?
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

User avatar
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7314
Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 am

Y'all are clear to submit this new and improved version whenever you want! I firmly believe this is a stronger proposal than the now repealed GA #254.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

User avatar
Ceni
Senator
 
Posts: 3775
Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:Y'all are clear to submit this new and improved version whenever you want! I firmly believe this is a stronger proposal than the now repealed GA #254.

EDIT: Ninja'd!


I will write my letter to the delegates and send it in to the API key, and I'll submit it tomorrow and start campaigning if there aren't any serious issues.
Author of GA #244: Physical Sites Protection Act & GA #259: Stopping Invasive Species, coauthor of GA #254: Invasive Species Response Act
Champion, DBC 38 | Air Terranea
<+SJG> Rustler by nature | <Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads