NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Cultural Heritage Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Golgoglot
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgoglot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 pm

As has been stated by others, there is enough reason to oppose this resolution, so I have voted against it.

*throws a blueberry pie at random into the mêlée*
Sir and Dr. Bernard Godlis, Foreign Affairs High Office
The Sacred Eternity of Golgoglot
There Above the Starry Canopy, A Great G-d Will Reward

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:51 am

The side door to the General Assembly chamber opens, and Lord Evif walks in, raises his hand, and signals thumbs down quickly before stepping out again. The door is coated in pies before it has a full chance to close.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 am

I'm not too keen on spelling mistakes (due to my strict drafting criteria), but I am not very impressed too when the definition is so vaguely defined and the proposal is rushed. Honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia, I thought you did so well with the Biological Weapons Conference: why lapse so suddenly?

Massachussets Bay
Secretary

Founded: Nov 13, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Massachussets Bay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 am

Having given the matter due consideration, the Commonwealth of Massachussets Bay regrets that it cannot support this resolution in its current form.

Regards.
Commonwealth of Massachussets Bay, Berkshire, Cape Cod, and Nantucket
Speaker of the People’s Assembly: Alenka NicDhòmhnaill (EX)

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I'm not too keen on spelling mistakes (due to my strict drafting criteria), but I am not very impressed too when the definition is so vaguely defined and the proposal is rushed. Honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia, I thought you did so well with the Biological Weapons Conference: why lapse so suddenly?

OOC: To be completely honest, I've just gotten really busy lately between volunteering for NJHS, playing tennis, playing piano, AP and honors homework, etc. The biological weapons conference I wrote at the beginning of the school year so I had more time to do so... The definition is somewhat vague in this proposal of cultural heritage site becuase I came up with it at 6 am (I am not a morning person),
If you want to repeal it and re-draft, be my guest.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:11 am

Nigel grabs Max and places him in front to act as a human pie shield. We rise today to cast our vote against this proposal on the grounds that have already been stated.

Nigel picks up an elderberry pie and hurls it in the general direction of the Unibot mission. Who now smells like elderberries.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:56 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:If you want to repeal it and re-draft, be my guest.

Oh for fuck's sake, don't you think enough time has been expended on insta-repeals and replacements already? Wait at least a couple months before bringing this subject up again, because I for one am sick of it.

*angrily hurls mincemeat pies in the general direction of the Bergnovinaian delegation*
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:42 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I'm not too keen on spelling mistakes (due to my strict drafting criteria)

Prince Rhodri was in the process of sneaking into range of Bob Flibble, an aerodynamically balanced custard pie in his hands, when this statement stopped him dead. For once lost for words, he threw the pie at Ms Harper instead.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:14 am

*Ms. Harper grabbed one of the robotic penguins and the penguin got the pie. unfortunately the hall has run out of custard pies and the WA has used up its allocated rations.*

Honoured ambassadors, please...

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Oh for fuck's sake, don't you think enough time has been expended on insta-repeals and replacements already? Wait at least a couple months before bringing this subject up again, because I for one am sick of it.

in fact I have the insta-repeal up for drafting now. Then once we have done that I'll arrange a trip to Antjepolis and the Brandenburg Gate, which I envisage as a possible SC HQ replacement. Here we go:

(self-removed for logistical reasons).
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

DEFENESTRATINATOR V2
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby DEFENESTRATINATOR V2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 am

The doors of the General Assembly burst open and amid a cloud of foul black smoke The STEAM-POWERED TERROR of DEFENESTRATINATOR V2 rumbles into the chamber. The machine is quickly fitted with a special pie-throwing apparatus and begins rapid-firing lemon meringue at Ms. Sarah Harper and the Bergnovinaian ambassador.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:22 am

How ironic that the ambassador (rightfully) criticizes the Bergnovinaian delegation for premature submission and then chooses to muddy the waters of the ongoing debate by posting her repeal of the resolution before the original ever passes. To the room that is currently debating it.
Last edited by Philimbesi on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 am

Philimbesi wrote:How ironic that the ambassador (rightfully) criticizes the Bergnovinaian delegation for premature submission and then chooses to muddy the waters of the ongoing debate by posting her repeal of the resolution before the original ever passes.

it's about openness and listening to the opinions of fellow ambassadors and then revising, and revising, and revising, honoured ambassador. That's crash-testing, which I call it WA-NCAP for the purpose of drafting.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:<snip> Insta-repeal nonsense.

I can't believe you just posted the text of an insta-repeal in the At Vote thread. Have you no sense of decorum or....anything?
OOC puppet of Yelda

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:38 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:it's about openness and listening to the opinions of fellow ambassadors and then revising, and revising, and revising, honoured ambassador. That's crash-testing, which I call it WA-NCAP for the purpose of drafting.

Call it what you'd like ambassador what I'll choose to call it is rude. At least have the common sense to start it's own thread if you insist on dominating the spotlight so. I don't like insta-repeals though obviously I have participated in them but at least the Ambassador from Gray's Harbor and I had enough respect for the drafter of Protection of monuments to wait until it had passed.

Ideological Bulwark #235

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:42 am

Philimbesi wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:it's about openness and listening to the opinions of fellow ambassadors and then revising, and revising, and revising, honoured ambassador. That's crash-testing, which I call it WA-NCAP for the purpose of drafting.

Call it what you'd like ambassador what I'll choose to call it is rude. At least have the common sense to start it's own thread if you insist on dominating the spotlight so. I don't like insta-repeals though obviously I have participated in them but at least the Ambassador from Gray's Harbor and I had enough respect for the drafter of Protection of monuments to wait until it had passed.

Fine, honoured ambassador: self-removed.

Yours etc,

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am

Honestly, at this point, it behooves both the authoring and coauthoring nations to immediately begin sending telegrams to approving delegates asking them to vote against this resolution. That a proposal would be so rushed that its coauthor be left twisting in the wind, and other draft contributors feel that their suggestions were ignored wholesale, is simply inappropriate. That a repeal is being circulated by the coauthor even before the vote is concluded is also, quite frankly, suspect. There is still time to kill this legislation before it passes; the Imperial Chiefdom strongly suggests that efforts be directed there while they still can.

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:26 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Then once we have done that I'll arrange a trip to Antjepolis and the Brandenburg Gate, which I envisage as a possible SC HQ replacement.

And this bears any relevance to...anything...how?

I've had enough of this shit.

*breaks out a few pumpkin pies and a tub of Cool Whip; lets the pastries fly before applying the whipped cream to Ms. Harper*

Aww, my favorite part of Thanksgiving. Except for the stuffing.

*breaks out bowl of stuffing and tosses it at what has become a walking pile of holiday dessert.*

And let's not forget the yams!

*produces a giant bowl of mashed yams topped with baked marshmallows and...well, you know.*
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:34 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:How ironic that the ambassador (rightfully) criticizes the Bergnovinaian delegation for premature submission and then chooses to muddy the waters of the ongoing debate by posting her repeal of the resolution before the original ever passes.

it's about openness and listening to the opinions of fellow ambassadors and then revising, and revising, and revising, honoured ambassador. That's crash-testing, which I call it WA-NCAP for the purpose of drafting.

But how is this "openness" supposed to make Bergnovinaia feel? You helped him draft the thing. You let him add you as a co-author. You knew you were being listed as co-author because you commented on it, so apparently you were OK with the resolution at that point. And now you've not only turned against the resolution but you've thrown Bergnovinaia under the bus by starting the drafting of an insta-repeal in his At Vote thread. Where did you learn to treat people you're working with this way?
OOC puppet of Yelda

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 am

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

But how is this "openness" supposed to make Bergnovinaia feel? You helped him draft the thing. You let him add you as a co-author. You knew you were being listed as co-author because you commented on it, so apparently you were OK with the resolution at that point. And now you've not only turned against the resolution but you've thrown Bergnovinaia under the bus by starting the drafting of an insta-repeal in his At Vote thread. Where did you learn to treat people you're working with this way?

I only highlighted the fact that no more than two co-authors could be listed under GA proposal rules, honoured ambassador. It could have gone either way.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:46 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

I only highlighted the fact that no more than two co-authors could be listed under GA proposal rules, honoured ambassador. It could have gone either way.

But you didn't ask not to be listed as a co-author, now did you? That tells me that you supported the resolution at that point.

edit: Also:

4 days ago: Charlotte Ryberg approved the World Assembly proposal "Cultural Heritage Protection".
2 days, 11 hours ago: Charlotte Ryberg voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Cultural Heritage Protection".
2 days, 11 hours ago: Charlotte Ryberg withdrew its vote on the World Assembly Resolution "Cultural Heritage Protection"
1 day, 3 hours ago: Charlotte Ryberg voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Cultural Heritage Protection".

So you not only let yourself be listed as co-author, you saw fit to approve it and then vote for it. You only turned against it when you saw it was being greeted with widespread disapproval here in the At Vote thread and noticed that your name had been misspelled.
Last edited by Mad Sheep Railgun on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC puppet of Yelda

The Altani Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Federation » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Second verse, same as the first, eh?

This resolution is as bad as the one that preceded it. In other words, it's a "lottle" crap.

Opposed.

-Nikolai Nagashybyuly, Ambassador
The Associated Sovereign Nations of the Altani Federation
Many lands, many peoples, one Federation.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:If you want to repeal it and re-draft, be my guest.

Oh for fuck's sake, don't you think enough time has been expended on insta-repeals and replacements already? Wait at least a couple months before bringing this subject up again, because I for one am sick of it.

*angrily hurls mincemeat pies in the general direction of the Bergnovinaian delegation*

You know what, this is an insta-repeal of Protection of Monuments so give me a break... Besides, just becuase you may be able to sit at the computer for hours (or however long you actually do) doesn't mean I can. I have been really pressured between school, preparing for our tennis season, and practicing for a piano recital lately so I haven't had time to muse over each and every thought created by the WA members. However, I will do so in the future so I don't piss certain people off.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:You know what, this is an insta-repeal of Protection of Monuments so give me a break... Besides, just becuase you may be able to sit at the computer for hours (or however long you actually do) doesn't mean I can. I have been really pressured between school, preparing for our tennis season, and practicing for a piano recital lately so I haven't had time to muse over each and every thought created by the WA members. However, I will do so in the future so I don't piss certain people off.

OOC: Look. The problem here is that you rushed the thing to a vote. Admit it and let's move forward, 'k? If you're RL busy, then delay submission in the future. At the very least, ask for a quick run through it for proofreading - go ahead and TG me if it's just for a quick spell- and grammar-check. There's no *reason* to hurry on a resolution like this one.

Now then. Best thing to do at this stage is to get people to vote this down. Tell the delegates voting "yes" that you feel that the quality is lower than you might like, and that you'd like to submit a better version in the next few weeks. At the very least, stop the indignant tirades. Right now, with what I've been seeing, it looks like you're more interested in resolution count than quality submission; only you can determine for us whether that's true, or whether this is a one-time error of judgment.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Acadzia is concerned that such a poorly written resolution has been passed to the floor. While the spirit of the resolution is, in our view, commendable, there is just too many loopholes and forseeable opportunities for such a measure to be abused.

These abuses have already been listed by some of my collegues, but I shall reiterate them:

- No provision exists to ban states from declaring military targets as cultural heritage centres.
- Further to my first point, some cultural sites are of historic signficance because they were, and in some cases still are, military targets.
- There is potential for the infringement of religious freedom.

Furthermore, the resolution is lacking in specificity.

Acadzia reaffirms that all nations should be good stewards of cultural sites, and those of other states, but we cannot approve this resolution in it's current state. We recommend all nations vote against it, and that the authors of this resolution repair it and resubmit it, because, as I stated, its spirit is admirable.

For God, Commonwealth, and King,
Dr. Elijah Krozenberg
Foreign Affairs Minister of the Commonwealth of Acadzia
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Philimbesi
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:10 am

You know what, this is an insta-repeal of Protection of Monuments so give me a break...

That's funny I was certain that Grays Harbor and I already repealed it and that this was a new resolution, Yes I'm certain we did and a good clue might be that this says "Cultural Heritage Protection" and not "Repeal Protection of monuments".

Ambassador be honest, you rushed this to the floor because after our repeal when through a part of you was probably worried that someone else would bring up this micromanaging, completely useless topic before you got a chance to.

Ideological Bulwark #235

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives