NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Cultural Heritage Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 pm

This looks better written than the previous versions I've seen.. FOR

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 pm

The Palentine wrote:Personally I'm all for corruption...how else am I going to fund my many unsavory and unwholesome habits. also i have to agree with my colleague from Philimbesi. If the co-author finds it flawed why do they continue to support it. More importantly...if it is flawed, why should I support it.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

I'm afraid I must agree with my good but unwholesome colleague here. If one of the proposal's authors thinks it's flawed that tells me that the proposal was submitted before it was completely ready for prime time and since I have a strict policy of voting against any proposal that falls into that category, I must cast my vote AGAINST this resolution.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:21 pm

I was dismayed when I saw that this resolution was on the voting floor without the proper edits. While the Ambassador of Bergnovinaia did apply the changes I had suggested during drafting, without a clear definition of "cultural heritage site", which I had reminded was a necessity, it suffers from the same flaws Protection of Monuments did. Unfortunately, this oversight is too large to forgive.

Perhaps I should have been more clear that my suggested edits were in no way comprehensive and without flaws needing to be edited.

[float=left]Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
[/float][float=right]Image[/float]
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kovasckitz
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Flaws in the proposition

Postby Kovasckitz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 pm

As the above statements say, this proprosition has flaws, and too many to forgive.

That being said, why ban the blocking of the sites? Heavy traffic to Kovasckitz's ancient Temple of Comidically Brakeable Knick-Knacks and Gift Shop would result in disastor, and the situation should have been exponded upon.

However if a (much) better version of this bill and Protection of Monuments was to come out, I will wote for it. Untill then, I must vote it down.
Last edited by Kovasckitz on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates - A schizophrenic tale of morality, love, passion, debate and left-wing insanity in the world. Watch the Nations of the world scrape to the top of the pile in an undying effort to not only control the rest of the world but piss it off one person at a time.

Long Spoiler
Skirtingboard wrote:I will destroy the invaders. Through interperative dance.

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Urcea wrote:Are you guys criticizing the messager or the message? As far as I'm concerned, the message itself is solid.

So is poop.

Unless you've one too many tacos.

98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

ಠ_ಠ

UpperWales
Secretary

Founded: Jan 01, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby UpperWales » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't see a problem with this at all, it's my belief that anything historical be preserved no matter what.

Might I suggest that someone right it up as an Issue for even non-member states to take action on?
UpperWales
The Return of the Thin White Duke

Imperial Aaronia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Aaronia » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:57 pm

The Empire, in wisdom perpetual, has decided to vote against the proposal. The Culture and Heritage Senatorial Committee determined, though the piece was well intentioned and would do well for the Empire, that the lack of confidence the Senate and Imperial populace had in the piece meant that implementing the provisions made in the article with full cooperation and support would be near impossible. This was furthered by the apparent lack of confidence of the co-author of the article, which only emphasised the Senatorial opposition.

- Dr. Tolian Varn
Permanent Imperial Ambassador to the World Assembly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.:. The Quásate of the Aarari .:.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note: Formal NS name is not my RP nation name.
PMT = Tier 6.5, Level 5, Type 5

The Obamanator
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Obamanator » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Also, when you write, "Charlottle Ryberg" , what nation are you referring to?

I know of Charlotte Ryberg. But no Charlottles....

I think it's time we had a national conversation about jurdisticion. We need to get past all the Unibotians and recognize that we are our own best hope for overcoming Charlottles. We need Charlottes, not Charlottles. Charlottes are our honoured ambassadors. And we need to have change in jurdisticion.

Sentrocalipto
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sentrocalipto » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:18 pm

RECOGNIZING that several of these artifacts could be threatened during conflict;

What do you expect during a conflict? That oppressors should spare your artifacts? This in my opinion is not reasonable.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:07 am

Whilst I had been in favour of this resolution, and do firmly believe that something should be on the WA's books regarding this area, I have been in touch with Lady Faren. After discussing the debate thus far, she has instructed me to cast Enn's vote AGAINST this (unless Enn becomes Delegate in the meantime, then we will have to go by IDU rules).

The clinching factor was the simple fact that the co-author is less than supportive of the resolution as written. There is much that still remains to be cleared up. Both Lady Faren and I sincerely hope that this does not result in the second pass-and-repeal in a row, but we recognise that that may have to happen.

Stephanie Fulton,
WA Ambassador for Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 am

We find ourself in the irksome position of agreeing with Dr Castro, though from a divergent viewpoint. The proposal lacks both clarity and teeth, and will have no effect at all upon any nations whose legislatures read it with any care.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I was dismayed when I saw that this resolution was on the voting floor without the proper edits. While the Ambassador of Bergnovinaia did apply the changes I had suggested during drafting, without a clear definition of "cultural heritage site", which I had reminded was a necessity, it suffers from the same flaws Protection of Monuments did. Unfortunately, this oversight is too large to forgive.

Perhaps I should have been more clear that my suggested edits were in no way comprehensive and without flaws needing to be edited.

[float=left]Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
[/float][float=right]Image[/float]

What would be a better definition that doesn't take away sovereignty of nations? I did not add some suggestions because I have been very busy lately and have been on and off this site.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Gobbannium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Gobbannium » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:What would be a better definition that doesn't take away sovereignty of nations? I did not add some suggestions because I have been very busy lately and have been on and off this site.

And yet you had time to submit this. We are unimpressed.
Prince Rhodri of Segontium, Master of the Red Hounds, etc, etc.
Ambassador to the World Assembly of the Principalities of Gobbannium

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 am

Gobbannium wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:What would be a better definition that doesn't take away sovereignty of nations? I did not add some suggestions because I have been very busy lately and have been on and off this site.

And yet you had time to submit this. We are unimpressed.

The referendum results from the Mind of Charlotte Ryberg pretty much explains so: the honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg has made quite a lot of suggestions but the honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia has been compiling this resolution too quickly. The emigration reform proposal and its sister draft on the reduction of statelessness is still in the crash-test department as I speak. The humanitarian reform (GA #51, ex. WA #53) took months.

Although we applaud the bare intentions of this draft... and our best efforts to improve the draft, expecting the honoured ambassador to Bergnovinaia a return a more well-thought and carefully written draft from our strong suggestions, without rushing, the flaws and the public response to the referendum... with all votes now counted, and at 64% of votes against 36% in favour... it is with regret the honoured ambassador has to turn down the resolution as it is currently written. In fact the honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg will be considering writing a repeal, calling for a bit more time to be taken, since this isn't a race.

Yours etc,

Ms. Sarah Harper,

Chief Ambassador for the Mind of Charlotte Ryberg, to the World Assembly

The Caprican Alliance
Civilian

Founded: Nov 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Caprican Alliance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:45 am

The principle of this resolution is excellent. I however am fundamentally against a resolution which ties the hands of a government even in a time of conflict or crisis.

Nation states should always be excepted from resolutions such as this in times of great national crisis, and this resolution takes no account of that.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:04 am

The Caprican Alliance wrote:Nation states should always be excepted from resolutions such as this in times of great national crisis, and this resolution takes no account of that.

I'm not too sure about that... it might constitute a optionality violation.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 am

Philimbesi wrote:I'm more interested in the fact that the co-author of this resolution believes it's flawed.

She thinks it's flawed because her name is misspelled. I was well aware of the co-author's ego before this came to vote, but opposing a resolution because the co-authorship line contains a typo is just pathetic.

As for me, I couldn't give a rip at the outcome of this vote. I'd rather have another pie fight.

*tosses banana cream at Ambassador Harper*
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Philimbesi wrote:I'm more interested in the fact that the co-author of this resolution believes it's flawed.

She thinks it's flawed because her name is misspelled. I was well aware of the co-author's ego before this came to vote, but opposing a resolution because the co-authorship line contains a typo is just pathetic.

As for me, I couldn't give a rip at the outcome of this vote. I'd rather have another pie fight.

That is not the reason I opposed this resolution, honoured ambassador.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:

but opposing a resolution because the co-authorship line contains a typo is just pathetic.

Oh, I don't know about that. If someone spelt my name wrong I'd probably be mad, like honestly... its six letters (though I'd first make fun of this "Unibolt" fellow). Spelling the co-author's name glaringly wrong makes for a good indication that the honorable ambassador rushed this proposal to vote.

And on that note, I say -- on guard !

*whips a spinning pumpkin pie from beneath his coat at the kennylite Kennyite ambassador* :)

Surely there should be a proposal to donate all of this wasted pie to little starving children in third world countries...

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:16 pm

The Obamanator wrote:
Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Also, when you write, "Charlottle Ryberg" , what nation are you referring to?

I know of Charlotte Ryberg. But no Charlottles....

I think it's time we had a national conversation about jurdisticion. We need to get past all the Unibotians and recognize that we are our own best hope for overcoming Charlottles. We need Charlottes, not Charlottles. Charlottes are our honoured ambassadors. And we need to have change in jurdisticion.

By god, give this genius one of those Nobel prizes !

No.. not the science ones, I meant the peace one...

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm

For what it's worth, the Imperial Chiefdom casts its vote against this resolution. We believe that the voices of those already in opposition sum up the deficiencies of this legislation adequately, however, Krioval is a bit concerned that this issue is generating such attention. Has the Assembly really run out of important things to discuss, or is Krioval simply becoming intolerant of fluffiness in all of its forms these days?

[Lord] Ambassador Darvek Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Viktors
Envoy

Founded: Nov 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Viktors » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 pm

The Obamanator wrote:
Occultototus wrote:I believe this should be ammended to include that no nation may place military installations, keep prisoners or store weaponry etc. at a site that is recognised as "Cultural Heritage".

I think it's time we had a national conversation about amendments. We need to get past all the amendments and recognize that we are our own best hope for overcoming fear. We need artifacts, not military installations. Artifacts are our hope. And we need to have hope for change in this protection of our cultural heritage.

I honestly hope to god the next thing your going to limit is my military? That's defineatly a /quit WA right there. You can have you monuments and artifacts... but without military, whats to stop someone from coming and taking everything? Think about it.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer? :unsure:

Přišli jsme se bránit, porazíme, my vyhladit!

1 2 3 4

"Make like your ancestors and get to the back!"
"Welcome to America, now speak American"

Charlottle Ryberg
Civilian

Founded: Nov 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Charlottle Ryberg » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Spelling the co-author's name glaringly wrong makes for a good indication that the honorable ambassador rushed this proposal to vote.

What's wrong with the spelling? What are you talking about?

*flings a Boston Creme Pie at the Unibotian ambassador*

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Charlottle Ryberg wrote:
Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Spelling the co-author's name glaringly wrong makes for a good indication that the honorable ambassador rushed this proposal to vote.

Why would you waste a perfectly good cake when we have pies to throw?
*Throws a Lemon Meringue Pie at Ms. Harper*

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Charlottle Ryberg wrote:

Why would you waste a perfectly good cake when we have pies to throw?
*Throws a Lemon Meringue Pie at Ms. Harper*

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Zhildigio was smacked into a desk, wearing his favorite pie as a suit.

"If Mr. Flibble is throwing at Charlotte Ryberg's Ms. Harper, than I suppose I shall rage war against Charlottle Ryberg's Mrs. Harper. To the death -- I say!"

*nod*

Zhildigio opened the bar refrigerator on his desk to find a perfectly chilled meringue pie for throwing.
Finding only a jar of raw fish eggs and a half a pound of bacon, the ambassador decided to throw the bar refrigerator at the mysterious ambassador instead.

Too bad it was still plugged in when Zhildigio tried to throw it, ripping the cord out of the wall, with most of the drywall with it.

Amfas
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Amfas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 pm

The further mistakes pointed out above is only further proof of why this resolution should not be past, and should never have gotten to the GA floor in the first place.

However, it seems as if this discussion is not being percieved by the public or other member nations who are voting on the legislation. It appears that more people here oppose the bill, and yet still the majority is largely in favor of the act. It is this mentality that demonstrates the ineffectiveness of this body to act if the members are not willing to see, and at least participate in, the debate here on the forums.

As stated before, the Dictatorship of American Fascism (Amfas) has placed its vote and support against this bill and its attempts to take away member states ability to function in war and because of the legislations open vauge nature.

Minister of Imperial Relations
Imperial Ambassador to the WA

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives