NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Foreign Trademark Recognition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Foreign Trademark Recognition

Postby Auralia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Foreign Trademark Recognition
Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Auralia

Recognizing that businesses often use trademarks to identify their goods or services,

Believing that international recognition of trademarks will reduce consumer confusion in the marketplace while rewarding businesses for producing higher quality goods and services,

The General Assembly,

1. Defines "trademark", for the purposes of this resolution, as a group of words, a visual design, an auditory expression, or some combination thereof that is used to identify goods or services from a particular source;
  2. Further defines "trademark right", for the purposes of this resolution, as the set of exclusive rights granted to a distributor of goods or services regarding the use of a specific trademark, including the right:
    1. to use that trademark to identify goods or services from that distributor and to distinguish those goods and services from those of other distributors,
    2. to seek damages from and injunction against any other entity using that trademark in conjunction with the distribution of similar goods or services,
    3. to license any of these rights to others, and
    4. to extinguish any of these rights;
  3. Further defines "foreign trademark", for the purposes of this resolution, as any trademark for which a trademark right is recognized by the member nation where the relevant distributor is located;
  4. Mandates that each member nation recognize the exclusive rights associated with foreign trademarks for as long as the relevant distributors actively make use of their foreign trademarks when distributing goods and services in that member nation;
  5. Authorizes each member nation to create reasonable limitations and exceptions to the exclusive rights associated with certain foreign trademarks when such trademarks are:
    1. merely descriptive of a product or service, or synonymous with a particular type of product or service,
    2. deceptive or fraudulent,
    3. confusingly similar to a trademark already recognized by that member nation, or to the name of another distributor or geographical location in that member nation, except when that trademark or that name was purposefully chosen to cause confusion in the marketplace due to its similarity with a foreign trademark,
    4. in violation of general restrictions on freedom of expression, or
    5. prohibited by any additional trademark regulations created by that member nation, so long as such regulations remain consistent with the goals of this resolution;
  6. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution should be interpreted as requiring member nations to recognize domestic trademarks;
  7. Further clarifies that nothing in this resolution should be interpreted as limiting the World Assembly from further legislating on trademarks.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:15 am, edited 9 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

On first read, this seems fairly reasonable and we have nothing to add at this point.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

Could you please not center align the text? It makes it annoying to read on non-widescreen browser windows, as it makes each line contain just 2-3 words.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 am

Araraukar wrote:Could you please not center align the text? It makes it annoying to read on non-widescreen browser windows, as it makes each line contain just 2-3 words.

Done.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 am

Grays Harbor wrote:On first read, this seems fairly reasonable and we have nothing to add at this point.

This.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Bump for additional comments.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm

You seem to have nailed it in the first shot. Any more comments would just be minor kibbitzing. Just my opinion, mind.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 am

Great job. I have no objections after a first read.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:41 pm

First off this looks like a really good resolution. I understand and thoroughly and the only objection I have is that I'd rather have it make a committee to manage the trademarks, however the system you have is more than acceptable. I'd be more than happy to approve this if it's submitted.
International Gun Trading Edict - Re-Drafting Now

"We stand as a representative of compromise. Every topic has good arguments on both sides of the aisle. You just need to bring ideals from both sides to make good legislation."
-Tomassi Silva, Minister of Foreign Affairs, WA Delegate of The United Aliance of Wolcott

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Ruior wrote:First off this looks like a really good resolution. I understand and thoroughly and the only objection I have is that I'd rather have it make a committee to manage the trademarks, however the system you have is more than acceptable. I'd be more than happy to approve this if it's submitted.

More committees = bad for proposal, generally speaking. I personally applaud every proposal/resolution that manages to do its business without creating a committee.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Ruior wrote:First off this looks like a really good resolution. I understand and thoroughly and the only objection I have is that I'd rather have it make a committee to manage the trademarks, however the system you have is more than acceptable. I'd be more than happy to approve this if it's submitted.

More committees = bad for proposal, generally speaking. I personally applaud every proposal/resolution that manages to do its business without creating a committee.

I get how creating committees can be an issue. I would have just approached this differently. Not necessarily better, but differently.

"We stand as a representative of compromise. Every topic has good arguments on both sides of the aisle. You just need to bring ideals from both sides to make good legislation."
-Tomassi Silva, Minister of Foreign Affairs, WA Delegate of The United Aliance of Wolcott

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Well done. I have nothing to add here.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:25 pm

At first glance, this seems to be a reasonable proposal; although, I disagree with the mechanism of recognizing foreign trademarks. In my opinion, this proposal should require nondiscrimination between domestic companies and foreign companies in regard to trademarks. I do not like the idea that my government might be required to recognize each and every trademark registered in a foreign country. What this proposal ought to do instead is prohibit member states from implementing additional barriers against foreign companies compared to domestic companies with respect to the registration of trademarks. Another path might be the creation of an International Trademark Commission to regulate and recognize the trademarks of multinational enterprises.

Auralia wrote:Recognizing that businesses often use a trademark to identify its goods or services

This should say one of the following.

Recognizing that businesses often use a trademark trademarks to identify its their goods or services

Recognizing that businesses a business often use uses a trademark to identify its goods or services
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

The Kingdom of Hasahmistan
Lobbyist

Founded: May 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Hasahmistan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Bump!

Id love to see this pass as a resolution in the WA, but maybe expand this to include Intellectual Property and Patents?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 pm

The Kingdom of Hasahmistan wrote:Id love to see this pass as a resolution in the WA, but maybe expand this to include Intellectual Property and Patents?

Would make it harder to make it a good proposal. Small, precise focus area is better for proposals, generally speaking.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I do not like the idea that my government might be required to recognize each and every trademark registered in a foreign country.

I have made a change to the proposal which should allay your concerns:

Mandates that each member nation recognize the exclusive rights associated with every foreign trademark for as long as the relevant distributors actively make use of their foreign trademarks when distributing goods and services in that member nation;

This change ensures that nations are not required to recognize foreign trademarks unless those trademarks are actually used to sell goods and services in their nation. In the event that domestic and foreign trademarks conflict, member nations have the freedom to recognize either one, pursuant to section 5(c).

Christian Democrats wrote:What this proposal ought to do instead is prohibit member states from implementing additional barriers against foreign companies compared to domestic companies with respect to the registration of trademarks.

This would allow nations to refuse to recognize trademarks at all, which would defeat the point of this proposal.

Christian Democrats wrote:Another path might be the creation of an International Trademark Commission to regulate and recognize the trademarks of multinational enterprises.

I would really rather not establish a committee to handle trademarks, if possible. :p

Auralia wrote:Recognizing that businesses often use a trademark trademarks to identify its their goods or services

Fixed. Thank you.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:52 pm

The Kingdom of Hasahmistan wrote:Id love to see this pass as a resolution in the WA, but maybe expand this to include Intellectual Property and Patents?

Patents are already protected by the General Patent Charter, though I intend to repeal it at some point as it prohibits nations from allowing biological matter to be patented.

Copyright is already protected by Foreign Copyright Recognition.

I may in the future write a proposal granting protection to industrial designs and other forms of intellectual property.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:10 pm

OOC: Just a question - in Finland the Fazer company has trademarked a certain shade of blue, as they use it for their wrappers, and "Fazer blue" is the de facto name of their most popular chocolate product - would this type of trademark need to be recognized in, say, Auralia, if the product was sold there?

EDIT: Finnish Wikipedia article has the particular shade, if interested.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Just a question - in Finland the Fazer company has trademarked a certain shade of blue, as they use it for their wrappers, and "Fazer blue" is the de facto name of their most popular chocolate product - would this type of trademark need to be recognized in, say, Auralia, if the product was sold there?

EDIT: Finnish Wikipedia article has the particular shade, if interested.

Yes, I believe so.

Ruior
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ruior » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm simply going to affirm Ruior's support for this proposal. You've done a wonderful job with this good sir.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Auralia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Just a question - in Finland the Fazer company has trademarked a certain shade of blue, as they use it for their wrappers, and "Fazer blue" is the de facto name of their most popular chocolate product - would this type of trademark need to be recognized in, say, Auralia, if the product was sold there?

Yes, I believe so.

In that case, no objections, just an abject fear of the various colours of the spectrum being claimed as trademarked products by the multitudous WA nations. Good thing Araraukar doesn't have to deal with it.

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 pm

No, because of this:
Defines "trademark", for the purposes of this resolution, as a group of words, a visual design, an auditory expression, or some combination thereof

A colour, by that definition is not a trademark. If a nation wants to allow that, great, but the rest of the WA doesn't by this definition.
FRA Representative, San Francisco Bay Area
Regional Assembly Representative, Spiritus
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Spiritus
Deputy Minister of Defence, Spiritus
Lieutenant, United Defenders League
High Mage of Conjurational Summoning, Spiritus Defence Force
Defender/Raider: -18
Cosmopolitan/Regionalist: -1.5
Saeturn Valerius Liberalis
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel
Frattastan: Someone just give (Osiris) a founder and block regional controls.
Sedge: I'd prefer the admins to officially recognise their status as a warzone.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:57 pm

The Saturnian Republic wrote:No, because of this:
Defines "trademark", for the purposes of this resolution, as a group of words, a visual design, an auditory expression, or some combination thereof

A colour, by that definition is not a trademark. If a nation wants to allow that, great, but the rest of the WA doesn't by this definition.

This and the author's statement disagree with you.

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

noun
an outline, sketch, or plan, as of the form and structure of a work of art, an edifice, or a machine to be executed or constructed.
organization or structure of formal elements in a work of art; composition.
the combination of details or features of a picture, building, etc.; the pattern or motif of artistic work: the design on a bracelet.
the art of designing: a school of design.
a plan or project: a design for a new process.
a plot or intrigue, especially an underhand, deceitful, or treacherous one: His political rivals formulated a design to unseat him.
designs, a hostile or aggressive project or scheme having evil or selfish motives: He had designs on his partner's stock.
intention; purpose; end.
adaptation of means to a preconceived end.

These are all the definitions of the noun version of design. Nowhere does it accommodate for a colour being a design. And even an author can misinterpret their own proposal.
FRA Representative, San Francisco Bay Area
Regional Assembly Representative, Spiritus
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Spiritus
Deputy Minister of Defence, Spiritus
Lieutenant, United Defenders League
High Mage of Conjurational Summoning, Spiritus Defence Force
Defender/Raider: -18
Cosmopolitan/Regionalist: -1.5
Saeturn Valerius Liberalis
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel
Frattastan: Someone just give (Osiris) a founder and block regional controls.
Sedge: I'd prefer the admins to officially recognise their status as a warzone.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 am

The Saturnian Republic wrote:These are all the definitions of the noun version of design. Nowhere does it accommodate for a colour being a design. And even an author can misinterpret their own proposal.

OOC: Tell that to the Fazer company and Finnish officials. :P

Auralia wrote:Further defines "foreign trademark", for the purposes of this resolution, as any trademark for which a trademark right is recognized by the member nation where the relevant distributor is located;
Mandates that each member nation recognize the exclusive rights associated with every foreign trademark for as long as the relevant distributors actively make use of their foreign trademarks when distributing goods and services in that member nation;

This definition and mandate seem to agree with the author's assesment - if another nation recognizes it as a trademark, and that company markets their products in your nation, then according to this proposal you need to recognize it as a trademark.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives