NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Rainforest Protection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Republic of Greater America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Greater America » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:52 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:
Republic of Greater America wrote:I'm voting against this, as my woodchipping industry will be destroyed by this ridiculous proposal. Also, as I keep saying, what good will a pretty environment do if your country is broke, bankrupt, and has no economy?

Your entire economy is based solely on wood chipping? So a couple of hundred incendiary bombs and your country is broke?

If only every nation revealed its national secrets so easily. :rofl:

Hahaha!!! You seriously thought that my entire economy is based on woodchipping? Okay, seriously, it isn't, and while it's a decent portion of my economy, I won't say what my main industr(ies/y) is. Regardless, you are dead wrong, plus who needs trees? What happens when you have a whole bunch of trees but no economy? A dead, undeveloped nation.

Legendardisch
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legendardisch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm

No trees no oxygen no human idiot.
The United Federation of Legendardisch

Pegasus Armed Dealership | De Volkscourant | Embassy Program | Factbook | Legendardisch.gov
PROUD MEMBER OF: I.S.A , I.C.O.N , V.N.T , U.P.A , I.F.C , I.E.S.P , I.A.T.A , I.C.D , D.S.A , U.T.A

Some very cool links: Flickr | DeviantART | Personal Website
Nederlander | Je Suis Charlie | PEGIDA

Neofloydia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Neofloydia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 pm

"Our precious wood!!! :("
-- Everyone who didn't put an ounce of thought into the proposal.

The proposal encourages building the timber industry on a cut-and-replant basis. Chop a tree down? Holy crap, you can replant it. The proposal simply outlaws downright destructive techniques.

Legendardisch wrote:No trees no oxygen no human idiot.

I guess this is what happens when "Access to Science in Schools" is repealed. Phytoplankton are far more responsible for the oxygen in the atmosphere than trees.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

At the current rate, we need as many trees as possible.

You seem to have good intentions, and use good logic, but part of saving the world is saving its biodiversity too. You seem to have forgotten that.

Everyone should vote yes for this resolution and for the world.
Last edited by The Remean Lordship on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Republic of Greater America wrote:
Your entire economy is based solely on wood chipping? So a couple of hundred incendiary bombs and your country is broke?

If only every nation revealed its national secrets so easily. :rofl:

Hahaha!!! You seriously thought that my entire economy is based on woodchipping? Okay, seriously, it isn't, and while it's a decent portion of my economy, I won't say what my main industr(ies/y) is. Regardless, you are dead wrong, plus who needs trees? What happens when you have a whole bunch of trees but no economy? A dead, undeveloped nation.

Trees are very, very important,

some environmental regulations won't destroy your economy.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

SverigeKins
Secretary

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby SverigeKins » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Although I agree with the premise and intentions of this act, the first sentence contains two grammatical/linguistic mistakes. "as are" does not make sense. Additionally, that statement seems more like a "definition" than a "recognizing" clause.

I must vote no since I suspect in the future this will be repealed for said mistakes.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Xarxis wrote:I find it hilarious that there are more single-nation votes FOR than there are total votes AGAINST.

That's either a telegraph campaign done right, or just a bunch of lemmings who like nice-looking titles.

I think for the most part it's people who don't read past the title.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Le Royaume Saint-Louis
Civilian

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

A killing blow to woodchip-based economies

Postby Le Royaume Saint-Louis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:32 pm

This bill is an unnecessary barbaric attempt to harm nations whose economies are supported by the great woodchip export industry. Stop the World Assembly from holding our economies hostage and vote no.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Le Royaume Saint-Louis wrote:This bill is an unnecessary barbaric attempt to harm nations whose economies are supported by the great woodchip export industry. Stop the World Assembly from holding our economies hostage and vote no.

Barbaric?!?!?! This act protects rain forests. If you want to protect your wood-chipping industry, than why don't you create tree orchards, where you farm the trees? It'll work while saving the environment.

Besides, shouldn't economies be balanced, so if one industry is harmed by an act or a downturn in the market, the whole national economy could endure, while one of the many markets recovers?
"No! No, you behave like this and we become just... savages in the street! The juries and executioners, they elect themselves! No, it is medieval! The rule of law, it must be held high and if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher! For all of society, all civilized people will have nothing to shelter them if it is destroyed!"
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I don't want to excessively nit pick, but after giving this resolution far too much thought that it deserves, I think that it should have been directed against the the uranium mining industry as they are the ones who generally clear cut / slash and burn entire regions to get at the resources under the forest.

Then again, the thought of regulating rain forests for a nation in the Antarctic is something that easily can blow your mind. You should try it.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Le Royaume Saint-Louis wrote:This bill is an unnecessary barbaric attempt to harm nations whose economies are supported by the great woodchip export industry. Stop the World Assembly from holding our economies hostage and vote no.

It is not barbaric. The resolution intends to protect the environment, which in my opinion is the opposite of barbaric.

Also the economic damage caused by the resolution is minimal at most.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Saveyou Island
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saveyou Island » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:52 pm

In no way does this resolution intend to harm economies. It protects environments, but not ban wood chipping!
Barbaric? Really? :palm:
Last edited by Saveyou Island on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Jack Fort, author of GA#264
Anything I posted before 2016 is stupid and should be ignored. That partially includes GA 264.

The Remean Lordship
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Remean Lordship » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm

If there is no world there is no economy. If it were my way, there would be HUGE carbon taxes, a $1.50 tariff on gasoline, a 10 year plan to haul + nationalize the electric industry to replace all power plants to make clean electrons on renewable sources.

This resolution is already mild, not even comparing it to my radical ideas. Don't worry about your "economies."
—Hercule Poirot

KEEP GAR #2

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Coldwater is Strongly Opposed to any sort of International Regulation of the Industries. By regulating the industries, you are destroying jobs and the economies of so many nations. A Good Environment does not mean strict regulations on industries that generate jobs; it requires a good economy. What better way of doing that than deregulation. By deregulating and leaving the industries alone, they will find what is the best for the environment as many companies, such as Shell have developed fuels such as BioEthonal (clean biofuel) in Brazil and they are quite successful. Therefore, Coldwater urges all member states to vote against this resolution.

And I yield the Floor.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Coldwater is Strongly Opposed to any sort of International Regulation of the Industries. By regulating the industries, you are destroying jobs and the economies of so many nations. A Good Environment does not mean strict regulations on industries that generate jobs; it requires a good economy. What better way of doing that than deregulation. By deregulating and leaving the industries alone, they will find what is the best for the environment as many companies, such as Shell have developed fuels such as BioEthonal (clean biofuel) in Brazil and they are quite successful. Therefore, Coldwater urges all member states to vote against this resolution.

And I yield the Floor.

You must realize that moderate regulation will not destroy jobs or the economy.

It benefits humanity and society.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:02 pm

It's very disappointing that despite the issues acknowledged by the author, this wasn't pulled from the queue so as to rectify them. Therefore, its with sincere regret that Sciongrad will be voting against this and will support a repeal attempt in the future.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 pm

We see no reason why rainforests should be singled out for special protection, and look forward to supporting the repeal along with our colleagues in Sciongrad, who have already pointed out that the author of this resolution has acknowledged its many faults.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Republic of Greater America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Greater America » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Coldwater is Strongly Opposed to any sort of International Regulation of the Industries. By regulating the industries, you are destroying jobs and the economies of so many nations. A Good Environment does not mean strict regulations on industries that generate jobs; it requires a good economy. What better way of doing that than deregulation. By deregulating and leaving the industries alone, they will find what is the best for the environment as many companies, such as Shell have developed fuels such as BioEthonal (clean biofuel) in Brazil and they are quite successful. Therefore, Coldwater urges all member states to vote against this resolution.

And I yield the Floor.

I fully agree! The WA should only focus on non-industrial, and non-military matters, like social issues and other stuff. Meanwhile, I'm developing a bio-weapon that can kill someone in a month, so yeah...

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:32 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

And I yield the Floor.

It is a moot point. This is another one of those resolutions that in the long run, does far more good than harm, yet we now have the "Fluffies", who could not be bothered to grace us with their presence, during drafting, nit-picking this to pieces, and screaming "NatSov, NatSov"!!!!!!!!

This was a good try, and if it passes, all the better. I highly expect Berg, or Mousie will be drafting an insta-repeal if this passes. Yet another example of a horrible travesty, that this god forsaken pit of doom has become.

Republic of Greater America wrote:Meanwhile, I'm developing a bio-weapon that can kill someone in a month, so yeah...

In direct violation of The Biological Weapons Convention sir? Have you no shame at all?
Last edited by United Federation of Canada on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:36 pm

It is a moot point. This is another one of those resolutions that in the long run, does far more good than harm, yet we now have the "Fluffies", who could not be bothered to grace us with their presence, during drafting, nit-picking this to pieces, and screaming "NatSov, NatSov"!!!!!!!!

This was a good try, and if it passes, all the better. I highly expect Berg, or Mousie will be drafting an insta-repeal if this passes. Yet another example of a horrible travesty, that this god forsaken pit of doom has become.

You know, there is a reason that the repeal function exists. You making sweeping generalizations about the intentions behind repeals is getting a little tiresome, especially when it involves drafts in which the authors have acknowledged faults. I don't think you fully understand what NatSov is yet if you think that all repeals are written with the same ideological motives.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 pm

And I yield the Floor.

Under Jimmy Carter, there were moderate regulations. What did we see, high inflation, unemployment and crime. After Reagan Deregulated the economy, it was much better. The Hong Kong economy has been failing after the Chinese took over and regulated the economy. Coldwater is an advocate of Laissez Faire as deregulation has always worked. When China reregulated after Mao Tse Dong's death, the economy became much stronger. Many nations in Africa are having stronger economies due to deregulation.

Again, Coldwater urges ALL Member Nations to vote against this resolution as it destroys jobs and doesn't solve the problem. If this passes, Coldwater will support a repeal of this resolution.

And I yield the floor.

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Sciongrad wrote:

You know, there is a reason that the repeal function exists. You making sweeping generalizations about the intentions behind repeals is getting a little tiresome, especially when it involves drafts in which the authors have acknowledged faults. I don't think you fully understand what NatSov is yet if you think that all repeals are written with the same ideological motives.

Oh I don't beleive that all repeals are written with the same ideological motives. I also FULLY understand what National Sovereignty is. What I am getting at is, although this may have some faults, does it really make that huge of a difference in the long run? Is this really going to bankrupt nations? Is the resolution doing more harm that good? No, no, and no.

Pretty much every argument made against this comes down to one thing " The WA is trying to control my economy and tell me what to do"! If that is the case, then why join the Assembly in the first place?

OCC: Scion in case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a very staunch supporter of a unified international government, both IC, and OCC, and do tend to treat the WA, more along those lines, than the U.N.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:

Under Jimmy Carter, there were moderate regulations. What did we see, high inflation, unemployment and crime. After Reagan Deregulated the economy, it was much better. The Hong Kong economy has been failing after the Chinese took over and regulated the economy. Coldwater is an advocate of Laissez Faire as deregulation has always worked. When China reregulated after Mao Tse Dong's death, the economy became much stronger. Many nations in Africa are having stronger economies due to deregulation.

Again, Coldwater urges ALL Member Nations to vote against this resolution as it destroys jobs and doesn't solve the problem. If this passes, Coldwater will support a repeal of this resolution.

And I yield the floor.

Ok, since you think regulations and environmental protection won't solve the problem, what will solve the problem?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:Oh I don't beleive that all repeals are written with the same ideological motives. I also FULLY understand what National Sovereignty is. What I am getting at is, although this may have some faults, does it really make that huge of a difference in the long run? Is this really going to bankrupt nations? Is the resolution doing more harm that good? No, no, and no.

Pretty much every argument made against this comes down to one thing " The WA is trying to control my economy and tell me what to do"! If that is the case, then why join the Assembly in the first place?

OCC: Scion in case you haven't figured it out yet, I am a very staunch supporter of a unified international government, both IC, and OCC, and do tend to treat the WA, more along those lines, than the U.N.

I'm of the opinion that flaws warrant repeals, period. In this particular case, the resolution is vague, it's meritorious goals are clouded by its unnecessarily stringent restrictions on national economies, the committee it creates acts without standards by which to work, and it's full of grammatical errors. A resolution doesn't need to bankrupt nations to be repealed, it just has to have sufficient flaws.

Furthermore, your second argument confuses me. It's not the goal of the World Assembly to "control [...] economies," its goal is to improve the world by legislating on matters that are worthwhile for all nations. Any restrictions made by the World Assembly should benefit either nations or people, and this resolution, in its current states, does neither.

OOC: I respect your opinion, but don't expect to get sympathy when you attack authors for being NatSov or for writing repeals. Labeling anything less extreme than you as "NatSov" (and using it as if it's some pejorative descriptor) without defending your actual position is not the way to go about this.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Republic of Coldwater wrote:

And I yield the floor.

Ok, since you think regulations and environmental protection won't solve the problem, what will solve the problem?

Deregulations and leaving the industries alone. The energy industry will find out how to make renewable sources themselves. Shell in Brazil has developed BioEthonal and it is a clean biofuel and it is getting a lot of money. Deregulating the markets will also allow the drilling of Shale. Shale is cheap, and cleaner than Gasoline. Therefore, there are a lot of market-based solutions to environmental damage and it is definitely not a government's job to make sure that all companies are being environmentally friendly, as many are. Also, by leaving the sector alone and not dictating it's behavior, the energy sector can find out how to make ultra low voltage devices that won't pollute as much C02, or can be powered by a single solar cell. Intel released their Haswell chips for a laptop. Some of them can run on a solar cell. That won't pollute! Therefore, the market is the solution to environmental damage, NOT the government.

And I yield the floor

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives