NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Rainforest Protection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bazileum
Secretary

Founded: Jul 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazileum » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Bazlieum would like to go further than this act, but as far as it is concerned, we will support this.

Alamar Xarfaxis
Grand-Vizier of the Order of the Broken Seven
Magocracy of Bazileum
Economic Left/Right: 2.13 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.88
Green Conservative
Because all you need is

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Bazileum wrote:Bazlieum would like to go further than this act, but as far as it is concerned, we will support this.

Alamar Xarfaxis
Grand-Vizier of the Order of the Broken Seven
Magocracy of Bazileum

Thank you.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Sciongrad wrote:Sciongrad is unsure as to whether it may be willing to lend its support to this proposal, but it most certainly cannot in its current state. Aside from pervasive grammatical errors and a distracting lack of punctuation, this proposal is very vague in some areas, and much too specific in others. Notably, regarding what special protections are constituted by "protected area" status, as this is currently up to interpretation. A similar problem arises regarding what is considered as a "non-industrial tribe."

The scope of the proposal is also very concerning. I don't see why only tropical rain forests deserve special protection, and why especially large ones should (theoretically) be treated any differently from smaller ones. It would be a much more worthwhile endeavor to write a proposal on deforestation in general, rather than legislating on such a specific concept.

The TRPA is also given no guidelines as to how it enforces its tasks.

establish, on a case by case basis, the quantity of timber that may be exploited from a nation's tropical rainforests.

What would they take into consideration? The ecological implications of such deforestation, most likely, but that's not stated anywhere. I'm not entirely sure a proposal of this nature requires a committee either, but I'll be willing to debate the merits of that claim once this proposal is thoroughly cleaned up. My suggestion would be to remove it from the queue, after which I'll be willing to provide more suggestions. In it's current state, Sciongrad would almost certainly vote against.

Thanks for letting us know about grammatical errors.

Also I know some parts are vague, but it's tough doing this type of resolution in less than 3500 characters. The original draft was well over 5500.

Also Tropical Rainforests are at most risk of deforestation, therefore we made a resolution to protect tropical rainforests.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:39 pm

As others have stated, we cannot support a draft full of arbitrary numbers, missing or vague definitions, as well as the aforementioned (by others) grammar errors.

Then again, we read this as us being exempt (thanks to measurement differences) and therefore will ignore it even if it is passed.
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:41 am

After a thorough read, I would have to say this is a well thought-out resolution. I only have one concern:

The Scientific States wrote:Prohibits WA nations from accepting imports of timber or mineral resources that are not obtained in a manner compliant with this resolution.

I know I may sound soft-hearted with this (especially given that my nation is strongly pro-environment), but this should've probably been a DISCOURAGES statement instead of PROHIBITS.

I shall vote for this resolution. Best of luck.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Jacobios
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jacobios » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 am

Our environment must be protected against these inconsiderate methods used to destroy our habitats. For the sake of our enjoyment, flora and fauna in these regions and for the future, I call on others to vote Yay to this Act.
Jacob Jones
Prime Minister of Jacobios

Snuzztopia
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Snuzztopia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:02 am

Though we wish for the proposal to go further than it does, Snuzztopia will support this Act. A greener world is a better world for all.

New Paris
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Paris » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:05 am

New Paris will not be voting for the legislation because it would destroy our economy. Woodchipping is a vital industry to us. I believe in the preservation of rainforests and working to stop global warming, but not at the expense of one of our most important industries.

Neofloydia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Neofloydia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:30 am

I'm amazed this is getting support, and very glad about it. I'm voting in favor of this proposal, it'll do wonders.

New Paris wrote:New Paris will not be voting for the legislation because it would destroy our economy. Woodchipping is a vital industry to us. I believe in the preservation of rainforests and working to stop global warming, but not at the expense of one of our most important industries.

You're still totally allowed to cut down trees. It's just now businesses can't be waves of destruction and go tearing through massive plots of land.

Snuzztopia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Snuzztopia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 am

New Paris wrote:New Paris will not be voting for the legislation because it would destroy our economy. Woodchipping is a vital industry to us. I believe in the preservation of rainforests and working to stop global warming, but not at the expense of one of our most important industries.

Such pragmatism is understandable in these time of economic uncertainty, but does the honourable member truly believe woodchipping can be sustainable in the long term? Would it not be best to diversify now, securing the future of our rainforests for generations to come?

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 am

At the behest of Empress Beatrice, and Prime Minister Jack Layston I have been instructed to cast a vote of AYE for this resolution. We feel it is in our best interests, as well as those of the International Community to preserve our rain forests for future generations.

Well done my fellow Comrades.

Warmest regards,

Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:56 am

The Scientific States wrote:Mandates that tropical rainforest areas be given protected area status.

What does this mean, exactly? Do we have to the entire tropical rainforest a protected area, or can we limit the extent of the protected area to 1000 hectares, per the definition of "protected area"?

The Scientific States wrote:Bans the use of slash-and-burn techniques in rainforest areas of WA nations.

Also Bans the exploitation of mineral resources in tropical rainforest areas through any techniques that damage the surface ecosystem, in part or in full.

Why? Wouldn't a sustainable development requirement make more sense than an absolute ban on certain kinds of development?

The Scientific States wrote:Exempts non-industrial tribes from those provisions that would lead to the destruction of their lifestyles.

Why should they be exempt?
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Bubblekirby
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bubblekirby » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:59 am

This resolution is very poorly worded. It can easily be interpreted as all tropical rainforests must not be hurt for any reason. This will force a lot of nations out of the WA, because there are many nations (such as Ecuador) which are so completely covered by rainforest that this resolution would make it impossible for them to expand. While we strongly support the premise behind this resolution we cannot in good conscience except it until some kinks are ironed out.
http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/bubblekirby (use this if you want to gauge my power in an rp)
"Bewailing your faith in humanity is right down there with declaring all politicians to be liars and Western society to be in an inexorable decline. It might get you some fun at the coffee shop but in a discussion thread it's just noise." - Quote by Farnhamia

The Empire of Syrrinan
Secretary

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Syrrinan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 am

I refuse to vote for this, as this is a vote that will destroy the woodchipping industry of Capitalist Paradise. Mankind's wellbeing depends on a strong and healthy economy, and I refuse to vote for something that will damage such. And wood is an important resource. Should this act be struck down, I have a proposition for another act.

Republic of Greater America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Greater America » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 am

I'm voting against this, as my woodchipping industry will be destroyed by this ridiculous proposal. Also, as I keep saying, what good will a pretty environment do if your country is broke, bankrupt, and has no economy?

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:38 am

Republic of Greater America wrote:I'm voting against this, as my woodchipping industry will be destroyed by this ridiculous proposal. Also, as I keep saying, what good will a pretty environment do if your country is broke, bankrupt, and has no economy?

Your entire economy is based solely on wood chipping? So a couple of hundred incendiary bombs and your country is broke?

If only every nation revealed its national secrets so easily. :rofl:

Red226
Civilian

Founded: Aug 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Red226 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 am

I agree with saving the rain forest but feel it should should let my country continue to use a small percent to mine. I make money while barely disturbing nature and its inhabitants

Carpathia and Moldova
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carpathia and Moldova » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 am

To be honest, this is why I left the WA. My economy is based entirely on heavy industry and exploitation and all these environmental regulations would drive me bankrupt.

Snuzztopia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Snuzztopia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 am

The Empire of Syrrinan wrote: Mankind's wellbeing depends on a strong and healthy economy, and I refuse to vote for something that will damage such. And wood is an important resource.

Does the member at least accept that future woodchipping should be based on sustainability?

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 am

"The Queendom regrets having to vote against this resolution, as it in spite of our previous objections would introduce quotas", complained Princess Christine. "As a member state committed to more advanced and sophisticated methods of ensuring sustainable development, this resolution would force us to take a giant leap backwards in the regulation of industry and commerce related to rainforest exploitation."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Legendardisch
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legendardisch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:33 am

We voted FOR

Protecting the enviroment is protecting humanity, and thus in the long term our nature.

luckily WE dont depend on this old fashioned industry..
The United Federation of Legendardisch

Pegasus Armed Dealership | De Volkscourant | Embassy Program | Factbook | Legendardisch.gov
PROUD MEMBER OF: I.S.A , I.C.O.N , V.N.T , U.P.A , I.F.C , I.E.S.P , I.A.T.A , I.C.D , D.S.A , U.T.A

Some very cool links: Flickr | DeviantART | Personal Website
Nederlander | Je Suis Charlie | PEGIDA

The Empire of Syrrinan
Secretary

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Empire of Syrrinan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Legendardisch wrote:We voted FOR

Protecting the enviroment is protecting humanity, and thus in the long term our nature.

Yes, it is an amazing thing to protect ones environment. Who cares about the civil liberties of their people? You, sir, have insulted hundreds of good, capitalist nations in that one statement. You have nowhere to go about "Protecting humanity" when you can't even protect your govenrment from corruption. Nations like yours should be booted out of the WA as soon as possible.

Dellin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dellin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:34 pm

The Empire of Syrrinan wrote:
Legendardisch wrote:We voted FOR

Yes, it is an amazing thing to protect ones environment. Who cares about the civil liberties of their people? You, sir, have insulted hundreds of good, capitalist nations in that one statement. You have nowhere to go about "Protecting humanity" when you can't even protect your govenrment from corruption. Nations like yours should be booted out of the WA as soon as possible.

So, civil liberties are only protected in capitalist nations? Only corporations have civil liberties? "Protecting civil liberties" means unfettered corporatism? Nope. And government from corruption? Stop making up stuff about the nation you are attacking.

In Dellin, we see access to the natural world as central to civil liberties: everyone has the right to clean air, to pristine rivers and lakes, to hiking in our natural landscapes. Those are fundamental rights our people have.
Interim WA Ambassador: Sarith Judea, Protector of Dellin

Legendardisch
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legendardisch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Syrrian

Your insults dont harm us

We have found efficient ways to use wood

If your nation cant survive with this law than something is inherently wrong.
Last edited by Legendardisch on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The United Federation of Legendardisch

Pegasus Armed Dealership | De Volkscourant | Embassy Program | Factbook | Legendardisch.gov
PROUD MEMBER OF: I.S.A , I.C.O.N , V.N.T , U.P.A , I.F.C , I.E.S.P , I.A.T.A , I.C.D , D.S.A , U.T.A

Some very cool links: Flickr | DeviantART | Personal Website
Nederlander | Je Suis Charlie | PEGIDA

Xarxis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xarxis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I find it hilarious that there are more single-nation votes FOR than there are total votes AGAINST.

That's either a telegraph campaign done right, or just a bunch of lemmings who like nice-looking titles.
DEFCON - 4

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives