NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Invasive Species Response Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Varrustan wrote:I personally find this proposal an outrageous infringement on my national sovereignty and see no reason for this legislation.
:palm:
This piece of legislation was meant to protect the both the environment and the economy of nations, by limiting the ability of sapient beings from haphazardly bringing in with them species that might destroy entire ecosystems, which in turn puts a dent in the affected nation's environment, from perhaps the extinction of native species, and economy, from perhaps having to repair the environmental damages that these invasive species had done.

National sovereignty only applies when it doesn't cross international borders, and tourists, corporations, and the movement of one non-sapient species from its native habitat to a non-native one without any natural reasons, are grounds for international consideration. At least, such is our take on it.

Alterrum wrote:FOR, nature doesn't recognize national borders so this issue needs international regulation, and while the wording isn't perfect, it's fine for me.
I think you missed the point of this piece of legislation; it's to limit sapient beings from bringing in species that could pose a detrimental effects to the nation's environment, not to stop nature from doing its thing.
Last edited by The Akashic Records on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Indigo Seas
Attaché

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indigo Seas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:52 am

Indigo Seas will be voting against this. We see it as an attempt to control nature, and against the natural process of evolution and succession. We, as humans, have no right to control this, and we urge other nations to vote against this.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:06 am

Indigo Seas wrote:Indigo Seas will be voting against this. We see it as an attempt to control nature, and against the natural process of evolution and succession. We, as humans, have no right to control this, and we urge other nations to vote against this.

We insist that the Ambassador from Indigo Seas read the resolution, and base their objections on the content of the resolution itself.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 am

Indigo Seas wrote:Indigo Seas will be voting against this. We see it as an attempt to control nature, and against the natural process of evolution and succession. We, as humans, have no right to control this, and we urge other nations to vote against this.

The point of this resolution is exactly the opposite of that. What it is trying to do is limit our impact on nature. Read carefully and you might realize that.
FRA Representative, San Francisco Bay Area
Regional Assembly Representative, Spiritus
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Spiritus
Deputy Minister of Defence, Spiritus
Lieutenant, United Defenders League
High Mage of Conjurational Summoning, Spiritus Defence Force
Defender/Raider: -18
Cosmopolitan/Regionalist: -1.5
Saeturn Valerius Liberalis
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel
Frattastan: Someone just give (Osiris) a founder and block regional controls.
Sedge: I'd prefer the admins to officially recognise their status as a warzone.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am

The Saturnian Republic wrote:

The point of this resolution is exactly the opposite of that. What it is trying to do is limit our impact on nature. Read carefully and you might realize that.

Wheras if you had read it carefully you'd see it does not achieve those goals.

In any event:

Invasive Species Response Act was passed 7,321 votes to 3,817.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 am

Abacathea wrote:
The Saturnian Republic wrote:

Wheras if you had read it carefully you'd see it does not achieve those goals.

In any event:

Invasive Species Response Act was passed 7,321 votes to 3,817.

I said trying. If you had read the thread, you'd realize I agreed that the submission was rushed and the resolution weak. If this resolution is to be opposed, it should be opposed for the correct reasons. Please don't assume things about me.
FRA Representative, San Francisco Bay Area
Regional Assembly Representative, Spiritus
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Spiritus
Deputy Minister of Defence, Spiritus
Lieutenant, United Defenders League
High Mage of Conjurational Summoning, Spiritus Defence Force
Defender/Raider: -18
Cosmopolitan/Regionalist: -1.5
Saeturn Valerius Liberalis
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel
Frattastan: Someone just give (Osiris) a founder and block regional controls.
Sedge: I'd prefer the admins to officially recognise their status as a warzone.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 pm

My thanks go to the voters of the WA for their overwhelming support of my first resolution; despite its issues (damn fungi!), I'm proud that the World Assembly has formally implemented powerful measures to reduce the international invasive species problem. And yes, the problem has been reduced; while many of you here have eyes trained to focus on the negatives of resolutions, proposals, and drafts, I remain thankful that the fully-functioning areas of the ISRA have been enacted.

Now, I direct everyone's attention to Bergnovinaia's repeal draft; in the meantime, I encourage all who participated in this discussion to contribute to the re-drafting of an invasive species resolution as actively as you've criticized the ISRA in this thread. My special thanks go to Christian Democrats, who first introduced the matter of the incomplete, fungi-less definition; The Akashic Records, for defending the functional areas of this act; and, of course, Ceni, for inspiring several important revisions that helped avoid even greater controversy.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives