NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Rights of Neutral States

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:33 am

Debyshrier wrote:we agree with it in general but if i practically insulted someone , i could just declare myself neutral and get away with it . so i think you redraft it.

I think that insulting another nation on the international level badly enough that they would feel the need to do something about it, would count as the first step of aggression. Once you've launched aggression, you can't back out of it by saying you're neutral, since you clearly aren't.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Submitted for a test run. Don't forget to leave criticism before it's campaigned for the next time around.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:29 pm

Debyshrier wrote:we agree with it in general but if i practically insulted someone , i could just declare myself neutral and get away with it . so i think you redraft it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OK, OK, OK....

I know what your thinking here, but I have to ask anyway.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A "LOOPHALL"? :rofl:

And now that I have insulted you, AND GOT AWAY WITH IT!!!! What is your point?

Now back to the proposal. Remaining fairly "Neutral" on this one. If it goes to vote, will probably just go with the flow on it. Nicely written though.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 am

United Federation of Canada wrote:

You don't "have" to abuse anyone over their spelling, even if you find it distasteful. You have options, like being decent even to people who seem not to have had the same educational privileges as you.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 am

Now back to the proposal. Remaining fairly "Neutral" on this one. If it goes to vote, will probably just go with the flow on it. Nicely written though.

You might want to calm yourself down there, Canada.

EDIT: Let me just spoiler that, to cut down on the smiley face spam.
Last edited by Ponderosa on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Republic of Ponderosa
National Factbook | Map | Embassy | IIWiki | Wintreath
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Political Compass | Gameplay Alignment
Social democrat - Social Libertarian - Agnostic Atheist - INTP - Runner
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:42 am

Knock it off.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Debyshrier
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Debyshrier » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Free South Califas wrote:

You don't "have" to abuse anyone over their spelling, even if you find it distasteful. You have options, like being decent even to people who seem not to have had the same educational privileges as you.

i know you were trying to help but im actually a bit dyslexic

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Debyshrier wrote:i know you were trying to help but im actually a bit dyslexic

In that case you'll definitely want to see about getting a spellchecker for your browser.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Hadrania
Civilian

Founded: Jun 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hadrania » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 pm

The Government of Hadrania would be willing to support this resolution should it come to a vote; however, we would like an adjustment to be made. Rather than limiting the definition of a neutral state to one that has declared neutrality for a specific conflict, if the definition were expanded to include states that have declared general neutrality across all conflicts or all conflicts of a certain type, the proposal would be improved.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Hadrania wrote:The Government of Hadrania would be willing to support this resolution should it come to a vote; however, we would like an adjustment to be made. Rather than limiting the definition of a neutral state to one that has declared neutrality for a specific conflict, if the definition were expanded to include states that have declared general neutrality across all conflicts or all conflicts of a certain type, the proposal would be improved.

Your Excellency, the current definition already includes such a measure.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Leutria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leutria » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I noticed one small thing. Clause 1 mentions that a neutral state must be in compliance with the duties of a neutral state, but later in the proposal (Clause 3) it talks about the obligations of a neutral state. It is my opinion that it would be better if you only used one word or the other.
Last edited by Leutria on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:06 am

Leutria wrote:I noticed one small thing. Clause 1 mentions that a neutral state must be in compliance with the duties of a neutral state, but later in the proposal (Clause 3) it talks about the obligations of a neutral state. It is my opinion that it would be better if you only used one word or the other.

Nicely spotted. I've made the change so that both use "obligations" rather than duties. Hopefully that will make it read a bit clearer. Thanks for the input, ambassador.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Alright, barring any unforeseen dilemmas, this will be submitted tomorrow at the minor update.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Submitted, and doing surprisingly well considering I've yet to begin the TG campaign.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm

While I would love to support this resolution, I'm going to get majorly nitpicky:

Sciongrad wrote:
The state must not sell or otherwise supply war materiel to a belligerent, or allow anybody within its borders to do so, or allow its agencies or businesses to transport war materiel for belligerents, or (except as any other WA law specifies) allow war materiel for belligerents to cross its territories;

I could actually see the situation now...

Miss Orman begins to enact, as best as she can as one person, the situation in her mind.

"Is this war material?"
"Yes, it is."
"You do know it's illegal to sell war material to our country."
"Actually, if you read the law, it's illegal to sell war materiel; this is war material, perfectly legal..."

Nitpicky though it is, and while I understand the intention of the clause, it's the one thing that can prevent the intention being broken.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Damanucus wrote:While I would love to support this resolution, I'm going to get majorly nitpicky:

Sciongrad wrote:
The state must not sell or otherwise supply war materiel to a belligerent, or allow anybody within its borders to do so, or allow its agencies or businesses to transport war materiel for belligerents, or (except as any other WA law specifies) allow war materiel for belligerents to cross its territories;

Miss Orman begins to enact, as best as she can as one person, the situation in her mind.

"Is this war material?"
"Yes, it is."
"Actually, if you read the law, it's illegal to sell war materiel; this is war material, perfectly legal..."

Nitpicky though it is, and while I understand the intention of the clause, it's the one thing that can prevent the intention being broken.

Stephanie Orman

With all due respect Miss Orman, war material would have been very well covered by materiel,
ma·te·ri·el /məˌti(ə)rēˈel/

Noun
Military materials and equipment.

Synonyms
equipment - outfit - rig
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 am

The Akashic Records wrote:
Damanucus wrote:While I would love to support this resolution, I'm going to get majorly nitpicky:

"Is this war material?"
"Yes, it is."

Stephanie Orman

With all due respect Miss Orman, war material would have been very well covered by materiel,
ma·te·ri·el /məˌti(ə)rēˈel/

Noun
Military materials and equipment.

Synonyms
equipment - outfit - rig

Due respect noted. I stand corrected.

Stephanie Orman

I must be spending too much time in the Silly/Illegal Proposals threads; I'm seeing errors where they do not exist. I...think I need a lie down...and maybe a holiday...

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

Hi everybody- I'm rather confused about this last part of the proposal, being explained as such:

"Member nations that form military alliances with any non-member nation must make full compliance with the provisions of this resolution by that ally a term of the alliance."

Here are my questions-

1. Who is being referred to under the title 'Member Nations'? Are the aforesaid nations WA nations, and are the 'non-member nations' nations not involved in the WA?

2. On topic with the above, it seems rather overreaching to be directly influencing non-WA nations simply by their association with WA nations. Am I getting the full picture here, or am I missing something?
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:46 am

Thank you, your Excellency, for taking the time to ask for clarification prior to making a decision. If I don't answer your questions in a way that you find satisfactory, feel free to tell me.

Novo Wagondia wrote:1. Who is being referred to under the title 'Member Nations'? Are the aforesaid nations WA nations, and are the 'non-member nations' nations not involved in the WA?

The term "member nations" generally refers to World Assembly nations, while "non-member nations" are nations not within the World Assembly.

2. On topic with the above, it seems rather overreaching to be directly influencing non-WA nations simply by their association with WA nations. Am I getting the full picture here, or am I missing something?

I wouldn't say this affects member nations directly. Member nations are not allowed to form an alliance with non-member nations that don't respect the neutrality of member nations, so perhaps they're being influenced indirectly. However, they aren't being forced to obey World Assembly law. I think it's reasonable to prevent World Assembly member nations from forming alliances with nations that are unwilling to respect neutrality, or (in a more sinister situation) from having member nations use non-member nations to circumvent the law - it would be a glaring loophole if member nations could have their non-member allies violate an enemies neutrality on the behalf of said member nation.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 am

Sciongrad wrote:Thank you, your Excellency, for taking the time to ask for clarification prior to making a decision. If I don't answer your questions in a way that you find satisfactory, feel free to tell me.

Novo Wagondia wrote:1. Who is being referred to under the title 'Member Nations'? Are the aforesaid nations WA nations, and are the 'non-member nations' nations not involved in the WA?

The term "member nations" generally refers to World Assembly nations, while "non-member nations" are nations not within the World Assembly.

I wouldn't say this affects member nations directly. Member nations are not allowed to form an alliance with non-member nations that don't respect the neutrality of member nations, so perhaps they're being influenced indirectly. However, they aren't being forced to obey World Assembly law. I think it's reasonable to prevent World Assembly member nations from forming alliances with nations that are unwilling to respect neutrality, or (in a more sinister situation) from having member nations use non-member nations to circumvent the law - it would be a glaring loophole if member nations could have their non-member allies violate an enemies neutrality on the behalf of said member nation.

Thank you for this- I appreciate your answer. I will certainly think on the matter. :)
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Slafstopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Slafstopia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 am

Sigh. I think most people took one look at the words "global disarmament" and "rights" and screwed this proposal.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.50
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neo-Conservative: -9.48
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -8.09
Socio-economic Quiz: Anarchism 100%, Marxism 92%, Democratic Socialism 92%
Economic Quiz: Ghandian 100%
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Slavyukriy, by Ceni.
Officially, Slafstopia is Lyapzem.

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 am

The sad part is, I actually like this proposal and would love to vote yes for it but I'm obligated to vote as the region majority does, so unless I can sway them....
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 am

Slafstopia wrote:Sigh. I think most people took one look at the words "global disarmament" and "rights" and screwed this proposal.

That, and Gatesville's growing influence and their habit of voting against everything, as soon by Osiris' dissenting vote. As the vote draws on, I feel as if the tide of the vote will turn, however.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 am

Sciongrad wrote:
Slafstopia wrote:Sigh. I think most people took one look at the words "global disarmament" and "rights" and screwed this proposal.

That, and Gatesville's growing influence and their habit of voting against everything, as soon by Osiris' dissenting vote. As the vote draws on, I feel as if the tide of the vote will turn, however.

You need to get 10ki on your side. They can swing the lemming vote.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Svornost
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Svornost » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

Or we just don't see the point, after having read it carefully.

So sell it to me: why is it in Svornost's best interest to vote for this proposal?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives