NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Vehicle Emissions Convention

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 pm

"On the contrary, Eireann Fae tends to favour such proposals, as we strive for environmental friendliness - in fact, there are no internal combustion vehicles on the Island. To be honest, I don't even know where you get the idea that my nation would oppose the reduction of noxious emissions. One can agree with the spirit of the law while being left wanting by the text of the same. We have been in this unfortunate position many times, and remain no less dedicated to the preservation and stability of life in the 'verse."

Candovia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Candovia » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Even though we do not oppose the spirit and intent of this legislation, we feel that this bill fully invades our country's sovereignty and right to legislate our own rules and regulations regarding our own economic and environmental policies. We believe that our own government in cooperation and consultation with our automotive industry and other respective parties has enough environmental protection laws that will combat vehicle emissions. We are currently voting NO to this measure.
Hon. Gustavo Bildt Flores
Minister of Foreign Relations
Federation of the Republics of Candovia

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:27 pm

The Armed Republic of Lowell Leber will be voting AGAINST this proposal for two reasons:

1. We feel that the 75% reduction in emissions to be an unrealistic goal for any reasonable time frame.
2. There has been no proof provided of "global warming" or any other global effects of emissions in the NSverse.

With Regards,
Dr. Michelle von Thyssen.
Foreign Minister of the Armed Republic.

OOC- NS does not necessarily equal real life.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Koussath
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 pm

(I hope you're not expecting players to actually write in-game scientific documents.)

"I find it amazing such an incredibly ignorant person as yourself could become the delegate to the World Assembly, Mr. Thyssen."
Koussathian views and my views are not nessesarily the same thing. I play Koussath as a rather evil country in many ways. I am not evil. Unless stated in an OOC manner, do not assume the player behind Koussath thinks what Koussath thinks.
WA Delegate: Princess Kalarina Yelash, Half-Sister to the Emperor.
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Syleri Peltash, Duchess of Teliscon.

Koussathian Empire Factbook [WIP]

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Koussath wrote:(I hope you're not expecting players to actually write in-game scientific documents.)

"I find it amazing such an incredibly ignorant person as yourself could become the delegate to the World Assembly, Mr. Thyssen."

"Ahem it is Michelle, so it would be Ms. to you laddie. And how am I ignorant in my claims? There is no evidence that any damage is being done by vehicle emissions in the NSverse. So why should we enact any legislation that would entail increased costs to industry and/ or consumers, thereby potentially harming the economy of member nations, in order to address a problem that may not exist."
Michelle sat down, a bit flustered by the delagate from Koussath using the wrong gender pronoun. Had she let herself go that much?

(OOC-Again, just because global warming and other pollution from automobiles on earth warrants curtailing emissions, does not mean that these problems exist across any or all of the NS Universe.)

EDIT: OOC-Of course I dont expect that...but I dont think we should base legislation on RL specific events and/ or problems which may or may not be occuring in NS.
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:19 pm

(Real World Physics Applies here.)
Koussathian views and my views are not nessesarily the same thing. I play Koussath as a rather evil country in many ways. I am not evil. Unless stated in an OOC manner, do not assume the player behind Koussath thinks what Koussath thinks.

Lowell Leber
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Koussath wrote:(Real World Physics Applies here.)

OOC-I will accept that, but are you going to use real world physics and apply the, to a much larger planet and/ or planets than earth?

IC- "I was expecting the delegation from Koussath to apologize for confusing my gender...?" Michelle was now becoming somewhat upset over the mistake...
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:19 pm

(I'm not going to have Kalarina apologize for a mistake I the player made. I am sorry I misread the first name, though. And the assumptions of issues is that we are on an earthlike planet. And since issues govern national stats, WA resolutions are fully entitled to assume that as well.)

Kamptyn
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamptyn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm

"World Assembly,

While The Republic of Kamptyn is all for cleaner air and better pollution standards, we are worried of how this resolution effects our neighbors. Some of our friends are smaller nations who rely on these automotive industries for their source of income. By imposing these strict rules it will no doubt cause these industries to loose money and possible jobs, therefore possibly causing these nations to go bankrupt as well.

Thank you for your time."
Last edited by Kamptyn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ambassador Ian Blair
The Republic of Kamptyn
A member of The New Inquisition

"Strength Through Unity. Unity Through Kamptyn"

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm

"And I'm sure they'll be so thrilled to have those jobs when they choke on the pollution created by them."

Kamptyn
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamptyn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Koussath wrote:"And I'm sure they'll be so thrilled to have those jobs when they choke on the pollution created by them."

"And I'm sure those nations who loose money and possibly collapse under economic pressure are glad to have you as a ally."
The Republic of Kamptyn

Dead Runners Supply Company
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Runners Supply Company » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm

(iv) Encourages the automotive industry to set a target and strive towards said target of a 75% reduction in vehicle emissions in comparison to current levels.

The Dead Runners Supply Company morally applauds this law's intention for a cleaner earth. However, we want this legislation to a have a deadline. Any nation that disagrees with this bill could interpret this segment as a loop hole. What if a nation...decides the reduction is to be reached in 1000 years? Or a million? Thereby ignoring the legislation.

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm

"There is an incredible amount of money to be made in the transition, and frankly, Koussath doesn't subscribe to he with the most toys when he dies wins. We'd rather also live long enough to play with those toys, to continue the analogy."

"The Dead Runners Supply Company's concern has been addressed already. There is a council to enforce compliance."

Dirna
Civilian

Founded: Feb 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Press Release

Postby Dirna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

The nation of Dirna finds this act to not only infringe on national sovereignty, but the nation's very philosophy. The Dirnan government holds that any major attempt to regulate the behavior of any private entities past rules put in place at the nation's inception will result in the inevitable suspension of all individual, political, and economic rights over time. This would, therefore, be in violation of the nations social contract with its people.

Dirna will be voting against this proposal.

Should this legislation be passed, Dirna will reduce all emissions to 75% within 20,000 years time.
Last edited by Dirna on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm

"If you're going to be like that, I have to wonder why Dirna is in the World Assembly at all. Moreover, do you have any evidence to support your slippery slope arguement?"

Libertas Liber
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertas Liber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

The Republic disapproves of this resolution in it's entirety. It accomplishes nothing. The language is gooey and unsure. Nothing will come of this resolution and nothing can be enforced.

The 75 percent reduction in emissions could be something that is mandated, but there is not time frame given. In fact, the Republic, which it will do might I add, could toil on for eternity and never reduce emissions released by vehicles. The market will naturally improve vehicles and we cannot force it. No technology is put forth or cited in this resolution that will reduce emissions by 75 percent. Innovation is brought about by necessity, not a resolution.

Lastly, there are nations which have low levels of emissions. There is no exemption for them, they too are expected to reduce their automobile emissions by 75 percent as well. Ah, but I suppose since there's not strict language in this resolution then it will not matter for them either.

Pax et bonum,

Raedan Oferus, the Republic's ambassador to the WA

Libertas Liber
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertas Liber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Koussath wrote:"There is an incredible amount of money to be made in the transition, and frankly, Koussath doesn't subscribe to he with the most toys when he dies wins. We'd rather also live long enough to play with those toys, to continue the analogy."

"The Dead Runners Supply Company's concern has been addressed already. There is a council to enforce compliance."

As previously stated, this council doesn't have a deadline. Compliance cannot be enforced if there are no standards by which to enforce it. The Supply Co. is correct when it states that it is in complete compliance with this legislation if it waits 20 millennia to reduce emissions by 75 percent. And as I've stated previously, it would still be in compliance if it waited an eternity.

Pax et bonum,

Raedan Oferus, the Republic's ambassador to the WA

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

"A deadline is unnessesary."

Libertas Liber
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertas Liber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Koussath wrote:"A deadline is unnessesary."

"Delegate from Koussath, please state how this resolution will be enforced then. There is no language that forces any nation to carry out any action. What language there is, there are loopholes to it. In short, there are no numbers, accompanied with deadlines, that serve as standards."

-Raedan Oferus, the Republic's ambassador to the WA

Kamptyn
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamptyn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Libertas Liber wrote:"Delegate from Koussath, please state how this resolution will be enforced then. There is no language that forces any nation to carry out any action. What language there is, there are loopholes to it. In short, there are no numbers, accompanied with deadlines, that serve as standards."

-Raedan Oferus, the Republic's ambassador to the WA

"Raedan Oferus is right. If there is no deadline then there is no point for this resolution. It is a waste of time and money."
The Republic of Kamptyn

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Is anyone else bothered by the fourth operative clause?
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Koussath
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koussath » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Kamptyn wrote:"Raedan Oferus is right. If there is no deadline then there is no point for this resolution. It is a waste of time and money."

"Wait, so is your opposition to this resolution based on 'concern for jobs in your neighbors' or because there is no deadline? Moreover, I'd challenge you to get a deadline passed by the 17,000-headed cat that is the World Assembly."

Kamptyn
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamptyn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Koussath wrote:"Wait, so is your opposition to this resolution based on 'concern for jobs in your neighbors' or because there is no deadline? Moreover, I'd challenge you to get a deadline passed by the 17,000-headed cat that is the World Assembly."

"We are more concerned about our neighbors. However, Radeon Oferus has made a good point, that there are loopholes. Not only that but there is no information concerning on how much is to much emission. It's not being measured. My nation could be low in emission as it is already but I have to cut it down 75% even more? By when? Oh there's no deadline? I guess I can just do it by 'whenever'.

I honestly feel it's a waste of every members time and money."
Last edited by Kamptyn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Kamptyn

Dead Runners Supply Company
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Runners Supply Company » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

A deadline is completely necessary because of the wording in the proposal. All the committee enforces is that member nations to do is that it make a good-faith effort toward the legislation and create a progressive schedule. Without any time frame then what exactly is the committee enforcing member nations to do? The Dead Runners stand by Libertas Liber and Kamptyn

Nui Magna
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui Magna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Nui Magna cannot endorse the Vehicle Emissions Convention due to its omission of a few key details: namely, 1. how nations shall be nominated to the International Vehicular Emissions Authority, 2. what criteria the IVEA will use to determine whether nations are properly progressing, and 3. what constitutes "proportionate funding" of research into greener technologies. We feel the Vehicle Emissions Convention allows the IVEA too much freedom to determine what constitutes as proper adherence to the bill, which opens the possibility for discrimination against nations (that, while unlikely, could happen if certain nations are nominated to the IVEA).

Nui Magna stands for reducing vehicular emissions worldwide and working to protect the environment; however, its government cannot in good faith vote for a bill that omits such crucial details as those aforementioned. We would like this bill to be rejected by the World Assembly and edited to include the details listed above.
Politics: neoliberalism; moderate conservatism; moderate libertarianism; representative democracy; right to life in the womb; right to privacy; individual charity
Beliefs: some mixture of deism, panentheism, and agnosticism
Current Political Compass Score: 1.88, -2.26

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives