NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Renewable Energy Installations Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Renewable Energy Installations Act

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:29 pm

I went through previous proposals and couldn't find anything (unless I missed it) that covers this, so I figured I'd draft and see what the general take is on it.

Having reviewed the categories, while environmental seems sensible, it also states that it's at the detriment of industry, however, if you read what I propose below, I hope that it'll be evident why I've chosen Advancement of Industry.
Hydro-Electric Promotion Act
Category: Advancement of industry.

Recognizing the potential issues posed by fossil fuels as a sustainable source, the potential threat and not unlikely failure of nuclear power in addition to a nations potential disliking of nuclear power as a source, and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable.

Further recognizing the boost to economies, industries and employment that the undertakingn of hydro-electric power projects would provide,

Understanding that not all nations will have the natural resources required to fulfil the terms of this act,

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations to undertake a geological survey of potential locations to serve as H.E.P sites within their borders.

(ii) Nations to undertake construction of H.E.P structures on locations deemed to be suitable to sustain a H.E.P facility.

(iii) Nations to monitor and maintain these facilities quarter annually to ensure the safe running of and constant supply from these facilities.

(iv) Nations to run an awareness campaign within their borders in relation to renewable energy and to allow their citizens the option to service their power requirements from these sustainable options should they so desire it.

Whilst encouraging Nations to;

(i) To achieve a target of 15% supply from H.E.P plants minimum, in the event that a nation has the abilities to do so.

(ii) To effect the sale and supply of power derived from H.E.P facilities to nations who so desire it and cannot make provisions for themselves.

Renewable Energy Infrastructure Act
Category: Advancement of industry.

Recognizing the potential issues posed by fossil fuels as a sustainable source, the potential threat and not unlikely failure of nuclear power in addition to a nations potential disliking of nuclear power as a source, and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable.

Further recognizing the boost to economies, industries and employment that the undertaking of renewable energy projects would provide in both the short and long term.

Aiming to avert international power and fuel crisis by ensuring nations have access to self sustaining power applications within their borders,

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Planst, Wave motion generators and any other device capable of generating significant power supplies from an environmental source.

Encouraging Nations who have the provisions to do, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental supply to the grid,

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations to undertake geographical surveys of potential sites for R.E.I's within their borders.

(ii) Having subsequently identified sites within their borders, nations are required to build R.E.I's within their nation, capable of producing up to 20% of the national grid requirements.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities on a quarter annually basis to ensure both safe supply and output of these facilities.

(iv) Nations to run an awareness campaign within their borders promoting the benefits of reneweable energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish to do so, without penalty.
Nations who have the provisions to do, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental supply to the grid.

(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable cost to the recipient to ensure no favouritism between either Renewable or Non-Renewable energy providers.

(vi) Limits construction to area's identified as the least environmentally sensitive of all identified potential sites.

Further encourages

(i) Nations who are capable of constructing and producing above the 20% requirement, to effect through sale, the supply of renewable energy to nations who are unable to meet the 20% requirement through their own accord.

Category: Environment | Area of effect: All businesses

Further recognizing the boost to economies, industries and employment that the undertaking of renewable energy projects would provide in both the short and long term.

Aiming to avert international power and fuel crisis by ensuring nations have access to self sustaining power applications within their borders, and to ensure any and all businesses whom make environmental impacts to utilize natural resources for power requirements.

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Plants, Wave motion generators, Geothermal plants and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies from a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source.

Encouraging Nations who have the provisions to do, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental supply to the grid,

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations to undertake geographical surveys of potential sites for R.E.I's within their borders.

(ii) Having subsequently identified sites within their borders, nations are required to build R.E.I's within their nation, capable of producing up to 10% of the national grid requirements.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities on a quarter annually basis to ensure both safe supply and output of these facilities.

(iv) Nations to run an awareness campaign within their borders promoting the benefits of renewable energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish, without penalty.

(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable cost to the recipient to prevent monopolization of resources by Non-Renewable energy providers.

(vii) Subject to section (v) nations are to require businesses which make environmental impact either directly by nature of their business or indirectly through supply or receipt of their goods to undertake a commitment to utilizing up to 15% renewable energy within their business while encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of 50-100% within their lifespan.

(vii) Limits construction to area's identified as the least environmentally sensitive of all identified potential sites.

Further encourages

(i) Nations who are capable of constructing and producing above the 10% requirement, not only to do so, but to effect through sale, the supply of renewable energy to nations who are unable to meet the 10% requirement through their own accord.

Recognizing the issues posed by fossil fuels as an energy source, the threat of a catastrophic failure of nuclear power and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable.

Aiming to avert international power and fuel crisis by ensuring nations have access to self sustaining power applications within their borders, and to ensure any and all businesses whom make environmental impacts to utilize natural resources for power requirements.

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) as facilities which will generate power derived from naturally occurring resources that will have the least impact and damage on the environment through their operation.

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations who do not already possess R.E.I's to identify key area's within their borders which could facilitate installations with the least possible environmental disturbance.

(ii) Having identified suitable sites within their borders, nations requiring new energy installations must build R.E.I.s at the designated sites, provided the nation is in an economically viable position to do so, or must wait to begin construction until they do meet the requirements.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities to ensure both safe supply and output of these facilities.

(iv) Nations to provide it's citizens with information regarding these energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish, without penalty.

(v) Irrespective of governmental control or privatization of these facilities, this energy is to be provided at a minimal cost to the recipient to prevent monopolization of resources by Non-Renewable energy providers.

(vi) Subject to section (v) nations are to require businesses which make negative environmental impact either directly by nature of their business or indirectly through supply or receipt of their goods to undertake a commitment to utilizing renewable energy within their business while encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of total reliance on renewable energy.

Further encourages nations who are capable of constructing and producing a surplus of renewable energy not only to do so, but to effect through sale, trade or the spirit of goodwill the supply of renewable energy or it's technology to nations unable to do so without assistance.

Final draft:
Renewable Energy Installations Act

Recognizing the issues posed by fossil fuels as an energy source, the threat of a catastrophic failure of nuclear power and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable.

Aiming to avert international power and fuel crisis by ensuring nations have access to self sustaining power applications within their borders, and to ensure any and all businesses which make environmental impacts to utilize natural resources for power requirements.

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) as facilities which will generate power derived from naturally occurring resources that will have the least impact and damage on the environment through their operation.

Encouraging Nations who have the provisions to do so, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental energy supply to the grid,

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations who do not already possess R.E.I's to identify key areas where the placement of facilities would cause the least environmental disturbance.

(ii) Having identified suitable sites within their borders, nations without renewable energy installations must build R.E.I.s at the designated sites, provided the nation is in an economically viable position to do so.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities to ensure both their safety and their steady output of energy.

(iv) Nations to provide it's citizens with information regarding these energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish, without penalty.

(v) Irrespective of governmental control or privatization of these facilities, this energy is to be provided at a minimal cost to the recipient to prevent monopolization of resources by Non-Renewable energy providers.

(vi) Subject to section (v) nations are to require businesses which make negative environmental impact either directly by nature of their business or indirectly through supply or receipt of their goods to undertake a commitment to utilizing renewable energy within their business while encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of total reliance on renewable energy.

Further encourages nations who are capable of constructing and producing a surplus of renewable energy not only to do so, but to effect through sale, trade or the spirit of goodwill the supply of renewable energy or it's technology to nations unable to do so without assistance.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am, edited 18 times in total.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

The biggest issue we see with this proposal is that although hydroelectric power is indeed a renewable energy source, it is far from not having any issues of its own. First of all, to have any sort of reliability, a hydroelectric plant usually requires a vast reservoire to draw the water from, and this takes up often quite valuable land. Whereas if it's built into a naturally occurring place of rapid and continuous water flow, such as a large river with rapids or even a waterfall, it will often become a huge issue for the animal life of the body of water in question (less so for artificial reservoires, although life tends to be difficult to keep out of any body of water).

We would be more in favour of Renewable Energy Promotion Act, in which solar and wind power were included. Hydroelectricity may be more reliable than either of those, but it does have more (especially more permanent) environmental issues.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Actually, thats a far better idea, and had crossed my mind during the drafting process.

I will review what you've linked me to, and see what if anything I can come up with. Will most likely tackle it if not immediatly seeing as sleep is evading me, he says ironically as he goes to make another coffee.... then tomorrow. But most likely now lol.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

And done!
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Abacathea wrote:I went through previous proposals and couldn't find anything (unless I missed it) that covers this, so I figured I'd draft and see what the general take is on it.

I wonder how hard you looked: Renewable Research Commitment.

Abacathea wrote:Having reviewed the categories, while environmental seems sensible, it also states that it's at the detriment of industry, however, if you read what I propose below, I hope that it'll be evident why I've chosen Advancement of Industry.

Advancement of Industry proposals have an Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation, Labor Deregulation, Protective Tariffs, and Tort Reform. Which do you see this falling under?
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Abacathea wrote:I went through previous proposals and couldn't find anything (unless I missed it) that covers this, so I figured I'd draft and see what the general take is on it.

Abacathea wrote:Having reviewed the categories, while environmental seems sensible, it also states that it's at the detriment of industry, however, if you read what I propose below, I hope that it'll be evident why I've chosen Advancement of Industry.

Advancement of Industry proposals have an Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation, Labor Deregulation, Protective Tariffs, and Tort Reform. Which do you see this falling under?

It's late here, so i'll argue that would be the reason that I missed that, however, I would stipulate that the act in question only regulates the research of renewable energy but does not mandate the comission of renewable energy products. The two would seem different enough to prevent duplication and as it's not reliant on the previous act in any form avoids any house of cards issues as well no?

Advancement of Industry proposals have an Area of Effect: Environmental Deregulation, Labor Deregulation, Protective Tariffs, and Tort Reform

Would environmental all businesses suffice better given the nature of the topic?
Last edited by Abacathea on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Abacathea wrote:It's late here, so i'll argue that would be the reason that I missed that, however, I would stipulate that the act in question only regulates the research of renewable energy but does not mandate the comission of renewable energy products. The two would seem different enough to prevent duplication and as it's not reliant on the previous act in any form avoids any house of cards issues as well no?

Good question. The RRC is only about research and doesn't require any implementation. If you're going to require that nations build such and such you're probably on fresh ground. It's just something to keep in mind as you draft, so this doesn't develop into a duplication or contradiction.

Abacathea wrote:Would environmental all businesses suffice better given the nature of the topic?

That's up to you. What do you believe this act does? If you think this benefits industry, you're gonna have to come up with a pitch for why it fits one of those categories I mentioned. If you think it harms industry (a lot of industries if you want to fit under Environmental/All Businesses) in order to protect the environment, it probably needs a rewrite to reflect that emphasis.

This is why it's better to have a category clearly in mind before you start drafting. You're now in the nether realm between two categories. If you want to salvage this proposal (at least from a legality standpoint) you'll need to pick one direction (environmental or advancement of industry) and full steam ahead.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Abacathea wrote:It's late here, so i'll argue that would be the reason that I missed that, however, I would stipulate that the act in question only regulates the research of renewable energy but does not mandate the comission of renewable energy products. The two would seem different enough to prevent duplication and as it's not reliant on the previous act in any form avoids any house of cards issues as well no?

Good question. The RRC is only about research and doesn't require any implementation. If you're going to require that nations build such and such you're probably on fresh ground. It's just something to keep in mind as you draft, so this doesn't develop into a duplication or contradiction.

Abacathea wrote:Would environmental all businesses suffice better given the nature of the topic?

That's up to you. What do you believe this act does? If you think this benefits industry, you're gonna have to come up with a pitch for why it fits one of those categories I mentioned. If you think it harms industry (a lot of industries if you want to fit under Environmental/All Businesses) in order to protect the environment, it probably needs a rewrite to reflect that emphasis.

This is why it's better to have a category clearly in mind before you start drafting. You're now in the nether realm between two categories. If you want to salvage this proposal (at least from a legality standpoint) you'll need to pick one direction (environmental or advancement of industry) and full steam ahead.

I'll keep it in mind and redraft in the morning when I can see clearer where I want to go with it. I only had the environmental and industry tags in mind intially, completely forgot about the areas of effect so in that spirit it will need tweaking.

I do believe as you say though that this is fresh ground given the RRC is solely about research whereas this is implementation of infrasturcture and facilities and resultantly shouldnt fall afoul of the duplication illegality.

Many thanks for the input
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Point Breeze
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Point Breeze » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 am

I'll reserve judgment until I see the redraft in the morning. 20% does seem awfully high, though. I imagine the larger a nation, the greater the environmental impact would be in adopting the resolution.
Thane of WA Affairs for Wintreath

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 am

Abacathea wrote:(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable cost to the recipient to ensure no favouritism between either Renewable or Non-Renewable energy providers.

Would that be "no favouritism" as in "the prices must be kept close enough that customers wouldn't be motivated to base their choice mainly on economic grounds" or would it be "no favouritism" as "nations can't subisidize one category of sources more than they do the other"? In my opinion both of those possibilities would seem to be 'reasonable' interpretations of that clause...
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am

Bears Armed Mission wrote:
Abacathea wrote:(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable cost to the recipient to ensure no favouritism between either Renewable or Non-Renewable energy providers.

Would that be "no favouritism" as in "the prices must be kept close enough that customers wouldn't be motivated to base their choice mainly on economic grounds" or would it be "no favouritism" as "nations can't subisidize one category of sources more than they do the other"? In my opinion both of those possibilities would seem to be 'reasonable' interpretations of that clause...

In truth I had favoured solely the prices aspect, but i like the coverage of both and both seem reasonable requirements for the bill to propose
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am

Point Breeze wrote:I'll reserve judgment until I see the redraft in the morning. 20% does seem awfully high, though. I imagine the larger a nation, the greater the environmental impact would be in adopting the resolution.

I have now made the mandatory target 10% for grid supply, while encouraging nations who are capable of building more than this, to do so.

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:That's up to you. What do you believe this act does? If you think this benefits industry, you're gonna have to come up with a pitch for why it fits one of those categories I mentioned. If you think it harms industry (a lot of industries if you want to fit under Environmental/All Businesses) in order to protect the environment, it probably needs a rewrite to reflect that emphasis.

Having settled on the fact that this is an environmental issue, I've set it thusly and for "all businesses" with the emphasis on the act mandating a commitment from all businesses who make environmental impact to commit to a percentage of renewable energy resources instead. The act now reflects the targeting of businesses too.

Bears Armed Mission wrote:

I like both of these as reasonable interpretations, but I have changed the wording to reflect solely prices and to prevent a monopoly held by non renewable resource companies. Essentially to prevent big oil from getting it's panties in a bunch.
Last edited by Abacathea on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Hypparchia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hypparchia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

Why not encourage geothermal as well ? More northerly nations and such with shitty weather wouldn't really benefit from solar.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:03 am

Hypparchia wrote:Why not encourage geothermal as well ? More northerly nations and such with shitty weather wouldn't really benefit from solar.

I dont really know much about it, but i'll read up on it, although I think the act leaves it open for it

and any other device capable of generating significant power supplies from an environmental source.

But I'll read up on it and see if i can encompass it, shouldnt be too difficult i'd imagine :)
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 am

Read and inducted! :D
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

As this mission's only 'national' territories consist of our offices within this building, I suppose we'd have to meet that mandatory 10% requirement by setting up some sort of hydro-electric generator where the building's plumbing passes through those...
;)
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 am

Bears Armed Mission wrote:As this mission's only 'national' territories consist of our offices within this building, I suppose we'd have to meet that mandatory 10% requirement by setting up some sort of hydro-electric generator where the building's plumbing passes through those...
;)

That depends on whether or not your geographical survey deems the plumbing an adequate site for such facilities ;)
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 pm

We believe that we could conditionally support this act at this time.

Vagabundas
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Plants, Wave motion generators, Geothermal plants and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies from an environmental source.

Well, wouldn't this be a loophole to any kind of energy? Imagine if you create really efficient coal or oils plants, they would be considered Renewable Energy Installations under your act.

I would suggest: and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies with low carbon emissions and low environmental impact.

Yours,
Last edited by Vagabundas on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Mark III

Prime-Minister: Henrique Rodrigues da Mota aka HRM

Royal Cabinet of the Constitutional Monarchy of Vagabundas:
Deputy Prime-Minister: William Layton
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Claude Vontrammp
Minister of the Economy: Júlio Montenegra
Minister of Social Security: John Bridges
Minister of Education and Culture: Julia Windelhanm
Minister of Infraestructure: Arthur Virencio
Minister of Defense: Lord H.K. Camphbell
Minister of Labor and Employment: Lady Kate Hoffmann
Minister of Transportation: Fernando Kavadiña
Minister of Environment: Luisa P. Castro
President of the UHS (Unified Health System): Dr. Jorge Varella
Secretary of Sports: Jefferson Doyle

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Vagabundas wrote:Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Plants, Wave motion generators, Geothermal plants and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies from an environmental source.

Well, wouldn't this be a loophole to any kind of energy? Imagine if you create really efficient coal or oils plants, they would be considered Renewable Energy Installations under your act.

I would suggest: and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies with low carbon emissions and low environmental impact.

Yours,

Edited to:
generating significant power supplies from a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source

Should close that off I think :) Thanks for pointing it out, it's not far from what I had originally but removed for some inexplicable reason lol
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am

Any further thoughts on this?
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

OOC: Don't hurry about submitting it. Some people are still afk due to holidays, and besides, practically everyone can tell you that "proposal writing is a marathon, not a sprint". ;)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Eireann Fae's precocious diplomat takes a copy of the REI Act and her coloured pens and begins marking changes and concerns on the text of the law. Sitting on the child's shoulder, almost hidden within the girl's raven-black hair, the diminutive Emissary whispers suggestions as the girl works on the draft.

Legend
old textnew text
a neutral comment
comment outlining a minor concern
comment outlining a major concern which, without major changes, will lose the support of Eireann Fae

Recognizing the potentialissues posed by fossil fuels as a sustainable an energy source, the potential threat and not unlikely of catastrophic failure of nuclear powerin addition to a nations potential disliking of nuclear power as a source, and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable. We believe there are issues, not merely potential for such, with fossil fuels, and that this is a problem with the fuels in general, not just because of their sustainability. We also fixed the somewhat clumsy wording on the nuclear issue, and struck the irrelevant opinion clause on the issue.

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Plants, Wave motion generators, Geothermal plants and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies from a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source. We cannot offer a better definition, but coal is technically a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source, being derived from plant life. One could plant a forest and use it as justification for coal-mining, taking the long-view that eventually the trees would turn into coal. We would also rather see a simple definition being used without need of a list of possible applications - if you are not going to list all of them (which you cannot), then you ought not list a few.

Encouraging Nations who have the provisions to do, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental supply to the grid, Note that we agree with the spirit of this line, and only wish the rest of the text were in a similar vein.

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations to undertake geographical surveys of potential sites for R.E.I's within their borders. This forces all nations, regardless of their current power-generating needs or methods, to undertake such surveys, whether they are truly needed or not. This could carry a heavy cost for small nations with few resources, or even larger nations with struggling economies, and is a requirement that we cannot support.

(ii) Having subsequently identified sites within their borders, nations are required to build R.E.I's within their nation, capable of producing up to 10% of the national grid requirements. Again, there seems to be no thought here to nations that simply cannot afford such an investment. We believe these first two clauses are adequately supported in the Encouragement clause above, and that further measures are neither necessary nor desirable.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities on a quarter annually basis to ensure both safe supply and output of these facilities. While not a deal-breaker, we would not like to see a hard-and-fast schedule defined as you did here. Some technology may be entirely self-sufficient and require little or no maintenance, while other technology may be significantly less stable and require constant supervision and upkeep.

(iv) Nations to run an awareness campaign within their borders promoting the benefits of renewable energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish, without penalty. The awareness campaign we could do without, but again, this is not a deal-breaker. We do like the clause mandating that consumers be allowed to choose their energy providers, though.

(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable minimal cost to the recipient to prevent monopolization of resources by Non-Renewable energy providers. "Reasonable" is a weasel word, and is subject to corruption. We believe this whole clause is worded rather awkwardly, but have no suitable substitution at this time. We do support the spirit of this clause, though.

(vii) Subject to section (v) nations are to require businesses which make a negative environmental impact either directly by nature of their business or indirectly through supply or receipt of their goods to undertake a commitment to utilizing up to 15% renewable energy within their business while encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of 50-100% within their lifespan. Please note the stricken 'i' in the clause number. Also, some businesses may have a positive environmental impact, and should not be punished for this. We are wary of this clause, and I almost reached for the red pen, but a mere re-wording should be all that is required to make this more palatable. Specifically, we do not like mandating particular percentages, but would ask that a goal be placed merely to maximise reliance on renewable energy - perhaps with positive incentives for doing so.

(vii) Limits construction to area's identified as the least environmentally sensitive of all identified potential sites. Please note the stricken apostrophe. Also know that this presents a sizeable loophole wherein a business or contractor may choose to only identify one potential site for their particular contract. We do not wish to see a hard minimum of potential sites defined here, but do wish to raise our concerns on the issue.

Further encourages(i) Nations who are capable of constructing and producing above the 10% requirementa surplus of renewable energy, not only to do so, but to effect through sale, themake available a supply of renewable energy to nations who are unable to meet the 10% requirementgenerate such energy through their own accord. Because we do not agree with the clauses outlining the requirement of a 10% minimum, but do agree with the spirit of sharing such energy, we have altered this final line to reflect the changes made above. We also do not believe the energy only be made available through sale, but have re-worded it to still allow the energy to be sold if a nation so desires.

Rowan passes a copy of the revised edition to Ambassador Chombers. "For your review, Ambassador. We do support your cause here, but feel there are some fatal flaws, as well as some lesser ones, with the proposal as drafted. We have outlined our primary concerns here, and made numerous suggestions as to a revised draft that we would find more palatable. Please note that while we will not support this draft with the first two clauses intact that I did not explicitly remove the clauses, but rather made clear our concerns, and leave it to you to edit them accordingly. Also," she whispers, leaning forward so only Chombers can hear, "you have two clause sevens, and skipped six. I fixed that for you, as well."

Smiling at the elder Ambassador, the girl returns to her seat and awaits a verdict on their proposed changes.

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:Eireann Fae's precocious diplomat takes a copy of the REI Act and her coloured pens and begins marking changes and concerns on the text of the law. Sitting on the child's shoulder, almost hidden within the girl's raven-black hair, the diminutive Emissary whispers suggestions as the girl works on the draft.
Legend
old textnew text
a neutral comment
comment outlining a minor concern
comment outlining a major concern which, without major changes, will lose the support of Eireann Fae

Recognizing the potentialissues posed by fossil fuels as a sustainable an energy source, the potential threat and not unlikely of catastrophic failure of nuclear powerin addition to a nations potential disliking of nuclear power as a source, and the need to have a sustainable power source which is cost effective, clean and sustainable. We believe there are issues, not merely potential for such, with fossil fuels, and that this is a problem with the fuels in general, not just because of their sustainability. We also fixed the somewhat clumsy wording on the nuclear issue, and struck the irrelevant opinion clause on the issue.

Clarifying for the purpose of the act Renewable energy installations (henceforth noted as R.E.I's) to include Wind Farms, Hydro Electric Plants, Wave motion generators, Geothermal plants and any other device or facility capable of generating significant power supplies from a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source. We cannot offer a better definition, but coal is technically a renewable, naturally occurring environmental source, being derived from plant life. One could plant a forest and use it as justification for coal-mining, taking the long-view that eventually the trees would turn into coal. We would also rather see a simple definition being used without need of a list of possible applications - if you are not going to list all of them (which you cannot), then you ought not list a few.

Encouraging Nations who have the provisions to do, to build as many forms of R.E.I's as practical in order to ensure maximum potential for consistent environmental supply to the grid, Note that we agree with the spirit of this line, and only wish the rest of the text were in a similar vein.

Hereby mandates;

(i) Nations to undertake geographical surveys of potential sites for R.E.I's within their borders. This forces all nations, regardless of their current power-generating needs or methods, to undertake such surveys, whether they are truly needed or not. This could carry a heavy cost for small nations with few resources, or even larger nations with struggling economies, and is a requirement that we cannot support.

(ii) Having subsequently identified sites within their borders, nations are required to build R.E.I's within their nation, capable of producing up to 10% of the national grid requirements. Again, there seems to be no thought here to nations that simply cannot afford such an investment. We believe these first two clauses are adequately supported in the Encouragement clause above, and that further measures are neither necessary nor desirable.

(iii) Nations to establish a taskforce or government body tasked with monitoring and maintaining these facilities on a quarter annually basis to ensure both safe supply and output of these facilities. While not a deal-breaker, we would not like to see a hard-and-fast schedule defined as you did here. Some technology may be entirely self-sufficient and require little or no maintenance, while other technology may be significantly less stable and require constant supervision and upkeep.

(iv) Nations to run an awareness campaign within their borders promoting the benefits of renewable energy sources and to provide users the option to switch energy providers should they wish, without penalty. The awareness campaign we could do without, but again, this is not a deal-breaker. We do like the clause mandating that consumers be allowed to choose their energy providers, though.

(v) Nations to ensure in the case of governmental control, or to mandate in the case of privatization of these facilities that this energy is provided at a reasonable minimal cost to the recipient to prevent monopolization of resources by Non-Renewable energy providers. "Reasonable" is a weasel word, and is subject to corruption. We believe this whole clause is worded rather awkwardly, but have no suitable substitution at this time. We do support the spirit of this clause, though.

(vii) Subject to section (v) nations are to require businesses which make a negative environmental impact either directly by nature of their business or indirectly through supply or receipt of their goods to undertake a commitment to utilizing up to 15% renewable energy within their business while encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of 50-100% within their lifespan. Please note the stricken 'i' in the clause number. Also, some businesses may have a positive environmental impact, and should not be punished for this. We are wary of this clause, and I almost reached for the red pen, but a mere re-wording should be all that is required to make this more palatable. Specifically, we do not like mandating particular percentages, but would ask that a goal be placed merely to maximise reliance on renewable energy - perhaps with positive incentives for doing so.

(vii) Limits construction to area's identified as the least environmentally sensitive of all identified potential sites. Please note the stricken apostrophe. Also know that this presents a sizeable loophole wherein a business or contractor may choose to only identify one potential site for their particular contract. We do not wish to see a hard minimum of potential sites defined here, but do wish to raise our concerns on the issue.

Further encourages(i) Nations who are capable of constructing and producing above the 10% requirementa surplus of renewable energy, not only to do so, but to effect through sale, themake available a supply of renewable energy to nations who are unable to meet the 10% requirementgenerate such energy through their own accord. Because we do not agree with the clauses outlining the requirement of a 10% minimum, but do agree with the spirit of sharing such energy, we have altered this final line to reflect the changes made above. We also do not believe the energy only be made available through sale, but have re-worded it to still allow the energy to be sold if a nation so desires.

Rowan passes a copy of the revised edition to Ambassador Chombers. "For your review, Ambassador. We do support your cause here, but feel there are some fatal flaws, as well as some lesser ones, with the proposal as drafted. We have outlined our primary concerns here, and made numerous suggestions as to a revised draft that we would find more palatable. Please note that while we will not support this draft with the first two clauses intact that I did not explicitly remove the clauses, but rather made clear our concerns, and leave it to you to edit them accordingly. Also," she whispers, leaning forward so only Chombers can hear, "you have two clause sevens, and skipped six. I fixed that for you, as well."

Smiling at the elder Ambassador, the girl returns to her seat and awaits a verdict on their proposed changes.

Dearest Delegate,

You are a sight for sore eyes in these hallowed halls, it was an absolute joy to watch you pick apart my draft as you did, and in earnest, I look forward to you weighting in on anything i may propose in the future. I have attempted to address as best I can your notations while sticking true to own fingerprints upon the parchment as it were. That said, let us examine;

We have proffered a better definition to the act of R.E.I's and made the subsequent changes pre this notation as suggested, we hope our new clarification suits better

Regarding clause the first, this has been edited thusly;
(i) Nations to identify key area's within their borders which could facilitate installations with the least possible environmental disturbance.

Regarding the second, we have adjusted to the below, we wish to explain however before you view it, that the adjustment was made to ensure the act actually does what it says on the tin, to merely encourage nations would not imply conformity and thus would render the act essentially null, we have however made changes to suit your concern raised.
(ii) Having subsequently identified sites within their borders, nations are required to build R.E.I's within their nation providing that nation is in a financially viable position to do so, or at a later date should funds become available to meet the requirements.

Recommendation for clause (iii) duely noted.

While the recommendation for clause (iv) has been noted, we feel that citizens should be given sufficient information in order to make an informed decision regarding choice, resultantly we have edited this slightly, but the premise remains the same.

Clause (v) has been less awkwardly worded while still retaining it's integrity.

Clause (vi) is now significantly less black and white in terms of figures and percentages.

Clause (vii) has now been struck as the new definition of R.E.I's should sufficiently tackle it.

We have edited the final encouragement thusly, as we feel it sums up the spirit of the act considerably better.

Further encourages nations who are capable of constructing and producing a surplus of renewable energy not only to do so, but to effect through sale, trade or the spirit of goodwill the supply of renewable energy or it's technology to nations unable to do so without assistance. [/box]

As an aside dearest delegate, we wish to thank you for your input, we feel that through consideration of your input plus our own oversights we have made this act considerably cleaner, and we issue many thanks.

We wish to reaffirm our sincerest liking of your delegacy and would be happy to work with you considerably down the line.

Mr. Chombers.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm

A deep blush can be seen growing on Rowan's pale cheeks as the drafting Ambassador showers her with flattery. Though she has now spent a sixth of her short life in the Assembly and made, to her mind, many a worthy contribution to the GA, so rarely has she been so thoroughly flattered. Not that she intends to complain, of course.

After taking a few moments to gather her thoughts, and her breath, the girl rises, smiling broadly at Ambassador Chombers. "You are very kind, Ambassador, and may I say that I am equally pleased with your willingness to heed our concerns. Too many times have the serpents in this Festering Snakepit clung blindly to their own beliefs, unwilling to take even the sagest of advice. I thank you for your wisdom in allowing such changes to be made to your resolution, and while we are pleased with your acceptance of our ideals thus far, we must ask that you come just a little farther. You have taken care of our major concerns rather well, but there are still some issues that we feel need to be addressed. Starting with the first clause." The girl points to the relevant line on the document.

(i) Nations to identify key area's within their borders which could facilitate installations with the least possible environmental disturbance.

"After careful consideration, the Emissary and I believe we have come to a different wording that all of us may find more palatable. How about Nations intending to construct R.E.I.s to identify suitable areas within their borders which could facilitate installations with the least possible environmental disturbance. We mentioned before our concern regarding forcing nations to conduct the surveys regardless of the nation's ability or intention to build R.E.I.s. As I have just worded the clause, only those nations looking to build the installations need perform the surveys, which I believe was your true intent all along."

The girl takes a moment to write a quick note, speaking as she does so. "We also still have minor quibbles with the second clause. I hope you understand, these two clauses were our main points of opposition regarding your otherwise very well-written and well-intentioned legislation. As I said before, you have come a long way towards addressing our concerns, and I believe we can work together to eliminate those concerns entirely. Here." Rowan hands over a slip of paper with a revised Clause II.

Having identified suitable sites within their borders, nations requiring new energy installations must build R.E.I.s at the designated sites, provided the nation is in an economically viable position to do so, or must wait to begin construction until they do meet the requirements.

"The wording here is not perfect, but we believe it to be preferable to what you have in your revised draft. This is mostly a minor rewording and fixing some grammatical errors, but it would be enough to solidify our support for your proposal. The key point is that the nations must intend to build new energy installations to begin with - we believe the forced construction of such installations when they are not needed to be most undesirable. We do believe that this revised clause would still maintain the spirit and intent of your laudable goals, but do so in a way that is least intrusive to Member Nations."

"In the following clause, you seem to have retained a superfluous adjective." The girl points to the the word 'on' in the phrase 'facilities on to ensure'. "That may have been my fault - my black pen is running low on ink, and the strike-through may have faded on that word... Another minor grammatical error is in Clause IV, where you used the contracted form of 'it is'1 instead of possessive 'its' - simply remove the apostrophe, please. The same minor error can be found in the final paragraph of the draft."

"I do apologise for lambasting you with more changes like this, Ambassador, and I must thank you again for your open mind and happy heart in accepting our recommendations thus far. There is just one final change that we would like to see made, though it is not a deal-breaker by any means. In the sixth active clause, you mention that business ought to reach for a goal of '50-100% within their lifespan'. While the context makes your intention obvious, we feel that what they are reaching for should be explicitly laid out. Furthermore, we generally prefer to avoid the use of percentages in resolutions, and think the use of such is not even required here. Perhaps the end of the clause in question could read 'encouraging them to ultimately reach a target of total reliance on renewable energy.' Note that we have omitted 'in their lifetimes', because businesses have an indeterminate lifespan. They could last months, or they could go on for centuries."

"Thank you for your time." The redness in her cheeks never quite went away, and as Rowan takes her seat, she makes a rather obvious attempt at hiding her blushing face behind a glass of water, still smiling at the Ambassador who treated her with more kindness than most others in the Snakepit had dared to do. In her memory, only the Queleshian, Intellectual Artisan, and Mesogirian Ambassadors had been so kind to her. Well, and Sir Eduard, but that was a completely different story...

1 The more clever readers will note that Rowan never uses contractions, even when pointing one out as a grammatical flaw ;-)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives