NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Child Firearm Safety Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Child Firearm Safety Act

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 am

Child Firearm Safety Act
A resolution to tighten or relax gun control laws.

Category: Gun Control | Decision: Tighten | Proposed by: Cowardly Pacifists

The World Assembly:

AWARE that many nations permit and/or encourage their citizens to keep firearms for various lawful purposes, including sport and family protection;

ALSO AWARE that firearms create a risk of serious injury and death not only for home invaders but for family members as well;

WORRIED that children, because of their youth and inexperience, are particularly susceptible to the risk of serious injury and death posed by firearms;

CONVINCED that many of the risks to children posed by firearms could be reduced by simple safety measures;

RESOLVED that member nations have an obligation to ensure that children are protected from the risks posed by firearms kept in their home;

Hereby,

1. DEFINES a "child" for the purposes of this Act as "any individual under the national threshold of majority, or equivalent;"

2. DECLARES that it is unlawful for an individual to intentionally provide a firearm to a child, or to negligently allow a child to access a firearm;

3. REQUIRES that any firearm kept or stored in the home of a child be secured in a reasonable manner to eliminate the risk of injury or death to the child;

4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child (or allow a child to access a firearm) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and proper use, and has demonstrated knowledge thereof;

5. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a firearm to a child under proper supervision for the purposes of educating the child in firearm safety and proper use;

6. MANDATES that an individual who lives in the same home as a child, or who may regularly encounter a child, must demonstrate knowledge of proper firearm use and safety before acquiring a firearm; especially, knowledge of how to reduce the risk posed by a firearm to the health and safety of children;

7. AFFIRMS that nothing in this Act affects the ability of member nations to legalize or prohibit firearm ownership through national or international law.

Child Firearm Safety Act

The World Assembly:

AWARE that many nations permit and/or encourage their citizens to keep firearms for various lawful purposes, including sport and family protection;

ALSO AWARE that firearms create a risk of serious injury and death not only for home invaders but for family members as well;

WORRIED that children, because of their youth and inexperience, are particularly susceptible to the risk of serious injury and death posed by firearms;

CONVINCED that many of the risks to children posed by firearms could be reduced by simple safety measures;

RESOLVED that member nations have an obligation to ensure that children are protected from the risks posed by firearms kept in their home;

Hereby,

1. DEFINES a "child" for the purposes of this Act as "any individual under the national threshold of majority, or equivalent,."

2. DECLARES that it is unlawful for an individual to intentionally provide a gun to a child, or to negligently allow a child to access a gun;

3. REQUIRES that any firearm kept or stored in the home of a child be secured in a reasonable manner to eliminate the risk of injury or death to the child;

4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use;

5. MANDATES that an individual who lives in the same home as a child, or who may regularly encounter a child, must demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety before acquiring a firearm; especially, knowledge of how to reduce the risk posed by a firearm to the health and safety of children;

6. AFFIRMS that nothing in this Act affects the ability of member nations to legalize or prohibit firearm ownership through national or international law.

Child Firearm Safety Act

The World Assembly:

Hereby,

1. DEFINES a "child" for the purposes of this Act as "an individual who has not yet reached the national age of majority and/or is not yet recognized as an adult in the child's nation of residence."

2. DECLARES that it is unlawful for an individual to intentionally provide a gun to a child, or to negligently allow a child to access a gun;

4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use;

5. MANDATES that an individual who lives in the same home as a child, or who may regularly encounter a child, must demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety before acquiring a firearm; especially, knowledge of how to reduce the risk posed by a firearm to the health and safety of children;

6. AFFIRMS that nothing in this Act affects the ability of member nations to legalize or prohibit firearm ownership through national or international law.

Child Firearm Safety Act

The World Assembly:

Hereby,

1. DECLARES that it is unlawful for an individual to intentionally provide a gun to a child, or to negligently allow a child to access a gun;

2. REQUIRES that any firearm kept or stored in the home of a child be secured in a reasonable manner to eliminate the risk of injury or death to the child;

3. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use;

4. MANDATES that an individual who lives in the same home as a child, or who may regularly encounter a child, must demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety before acquiring a firearm; especially, knowledge of how to reduce the risk posed by a firearm to the health and safety of children;

5. AFFIRMS that nothing in this act affects the ability of member nations to legalize or prohibit firearm ownership through national or international law.

As a gun control proposal, this will probably need a lot of work before it can attract majority support. I welcome and appreciate comments, suggestions, and criticisms.

Best Regards
Last edited by Flibbleites on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 13 times in total.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 am

If the kids' parents don't give enough of a shit about their kids to
A. teach them how to NOT shoot themselves
and
B. keep guns out of their unsupervised hands

Then I'd say they prolly don't need to have kids. Seriously, this is an issue of common sense and logic, an international law for it is unnecessary. Just do a few public service announcements about the importance of not being a dumbass and NOT teaching your kids about guns and gun safety. Ignorance is weakness.
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Princess Christine was positively surprised by the realisation that she was about to declare support for a proposal coming from the Cowardly Pacifists, so it was in a light tone that she took the floor.

"The Queendom already has in place the educational requirements of this proposal, not only for the persons here referenced but for any and every person desiring gun ownership. While this issue may intuitively not be perceived as very international, we do believe that the right of every child to a safe home environment does trump member states' claims to national sovereignty over gun control. We suspect that getting this proposal passed may prove a rather challenging endeavour, but as currently written, we would certainly give it our vote."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Random Rhyme
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Random Rhyme » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Against and here is why:

The Proposal is useless. If people are stupid enough to let there Children Posses fire arms, that`s there fault. Another thing, there is no reason for something like this, think if in fact a child got a gun, assuming that they Lock Picked a safe or found where they where, both of which are highy unlikely with Good parents, they then get the gun, they probably don`t know how to turn the safety off. Assuming they can turn the safety off, most people don`t keep loaded guns, and if they do, there usually handguns they carry. Most the time the Ammo is kept seperate from the gun, but let`s assume that the child had the ammo and knew how to load the gun. The Child most likely knows what a gun does, so unless there 2 (Which most two year olds can``t pick up a gun) nothing will happen.

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:32 am

My only complaint is that this:
3. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use;

Could potentially allow "wriggle room" for people to claim its legal to give children guns, as long as they are trained, even if guns are heavily regulated or banned to the general population. I know this is very minor and should (in theory) be covered by point 5 but still. Plus it could potentially act as a soft blocker on outright banning firearms to children or firearms in general in a future resolution (unlikely as that would be).

Other than that...can't see anything offensive. Although given how heavily regulated guns are in our nation it doesn't really matter to us if this passes or not. For the record would probably vote in favour.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 am

"In light of His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift's comments, perhaps the following addition would be prudent", Princess Christine suggested.

3. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this act to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use;
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Dagguerro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:20 am

That would completely clear it up, yes.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:30 am

In the star empire all citizens are required to own firearms. All minors are educated at military academies wherein weapons training is a part of the coursework.

So we cannot see that this will have an affect on us one way or the other. However one should define child for the purposes of this draft.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Charles Cerebella
Envoy

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Cerebella » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:58 am

With the addition of Deputy Ambassador Princess Christine's amendment this has my support.
Charles Cerebella

King of Albion

Hungramy
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hungramy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:00 am

Against.

Brotherhood Steel the 2nd
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Brotherhood Steel the 2nd » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 am

The Dominon of the Brotherhood Steel the 2nd allows all citizens from the ages 16 and up to be allowed to be in possession of firearms. Since we are a military driven society, all citizens of thw Dominion from an early age are brought up on gun safety and handling techniques. As such, we see no reason there needs to be an international law when it is clearly up to the individual nations' discression on imposing these types of laws.

So therefore, I am against this proposal.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 am

Parents should not be leaving firearms near children in the first place. They should be storing it somewhere were the child cannot access.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

Alqania wrote:Princess Christine was positively surprised by the realisation that she was about to declare support for a proposal coming from the Cowardly Pacifists,

I welcome your support. I guess I hadn't realized that our relationship with the Queendom had soured so much that the Princess finds herself surprised to support our endeavors.

The changes to CLARIFIES clause requested by Dagguero and Alqania (and supported by Charles Cerebella) have been made.

Ainocra wrote:In the star empire all citizens are required to own firearms. All minors are educated at military academies wherein weapons training is a part of the coursework.

So we cannot see that this will have an affect on us one way or the other. However one should define child for the purposes of this draft.

I added a "DEFINES" clause, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The plain, ordinary concept of a "child" is good enough for me.

I'm not willing to wade into the age of majority quagmire with this proposal. If the definition becomes a contentious issue, I'll likely just change it to "a child is an individual that fits that description as it is commonly understood in that child's nation of residence." That's really good enough, I think. If nations want to try to loophole this proposal by claiming that they have a wild definition of what a "child" is, I'm happy to let them have their loophole in exchange for the ridicule of the international community.

The only coherent opposition argument I've heard is the traditional Nat Sov refrain that these provisions are too obvious and we don't need international law since most nations already cover this with domestic law. Obviously, I simply deny the premise. I'm not convinced that all nations do have such laws (at least one nation in this debate has said that there's "no good reason" for this proposal because if a kid got a hold of a gun they "probably don't know how to turn the safety off.") (Update: that nation has since dissolved).

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Alqania wrote:Princess Christine was positively surprised by the realisation that she was about to declare support for a proposal coming from the Cowardly Pacifists,

I welcome your support. I guess I hadn't realized that our relationship with the Queendom had soured so much that the Princess finds herself surprised to support our endeavors.

The changes to CLARIFIES clause requested by Dagguero and Alqania (and supported by Charles Cerebella) have been made.

Ainocra wrote:In the star empire all citizens are required to own firearms. All minors are educated at military academies wherein weapons training is a part of the coursework.

I added a "DEFINES" clause, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The plain, ordinary concept of a "child" is good enough for me.

I'm not willing to wade into the age of majority quagmire with this proposal. If the definition becomes a contentious issue, I'll likely just change it to "a child is an individual that fits that description as it is commonly understood in that child's nation of residence." That's really good enough, I think. If nations want to try to loophole this proposal by claiming that they have a wild definition of what a "child" is, I'm happy to let them have their loophole in exchange for the ridicule of the international community.

The only coherent opposition argument I've heard is the traditional Nat Sov refrain that these provisions are too obvious and we don't need international law since most nations already cover this with domestic law. Obviously, I simply deny the premise. I'm not convinced that all nations do have such laws (at least one nation in this debate has said that there's "no good reason" for this proposal because if a kid got a hold of a gun they "probably don't know how to turn the safety off.") (Update: that nation has since dissolved).

This seems to be more of a National issue, but we would support it anyway as we are all in favour of gun control.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Wind in the Willows wrote:Parents should not be leaving firearms near children in the first place. They should be storing it somewhere were the child cannot access.

Oooooor (and this is a crazy idea here, I know) they could just teach their kids what guns are, what they do and not to touch them...
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:07 pm

United Federation of Canada wrote:This seems to be more of a National issue, but we would support it anyway as we are all in favour of gun control.

I can sympathize with the Nat Sov principle that gun laws should largely be a matter of national preference. National decisions on firearms have mostly local consequences. It should largely be up to national and local populations to decide what level of gun control (if any) they wish to have in their community. For the most part, nations should be trusted to be capable of deciding for themselves if the benefits of a particular regulatory scheme (or lack thereof) are worth the costs.

However, the protection of children is most certainly an international issue that takes precedence over national preferences; one which this Assembly has seen fit to legislate on many times. I do not think it too much of an imposition to insist on simple rules that will help protect children from the danger of firearms in their home, and I certainly think that protecting children from a leading cause of injury and death is worthy of international attention.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Perhaps the Ambassador would care to use "threshold of majority", as my resolution combating child abuse did. Not only would it set a trend, but it seems to be the most agreeable since it encompasses nations that do not use "age" as a method of determining adulthood. It would also make that particular clause shorter.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Perhaps the Ambassador would care to use "threshold of majority", as my resolution combating child abuse did. Not only would it set a trend, but it seems to be the most agreeable since it encompasses nations that do not use "age" as a method of determining adulthood. It would also make that particular clause shorter.

It's a trend we should probably encourage, I think.

I find myself strangely enough not opposing this.

This isn't strictly necessary as an international law, but I think it's neutral enough and limited enough that I can abstain, or even support it.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:58 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Perhaps the Ambassador would care to use "threshold of majority", as my resolution combating child abuse did. Not only would it set a trend, but it seems to be the most agreeable since it encompasses nations that do not use "age" as a method of determining adulthood. It would also make that particular clause shorter.

Indeed.

As for supporting this resolution, my nation encourages restrictive gun laws and has no problem giving it's backing at this time. Provisionally, of course, Ambassador.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am

I will have to disagree with you over the scope of this issue.

You are basically trying to tell people how to raise their children which is hardly an international issue.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Dagguerro
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:19 am

Ainocra wrote:I will have to disagree with you over the scope of this issue.

You are basically trying to tell people how to raise their children which is hardly an international issue.

On the other hand you could take the view that its a child safety issue. Which most definitely IS suitable for regulation by the WA (see also GAR#222).

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

Ainocra wrote:I will have to disagree with you over the scope of this issue.

Dagguerro is right: this isn't about telling individuals how to raise their children. Under this Act, parents are free to teach their child how to shoot deer or burglars or whatever. Kids just have to demonstrate knowledge about firearm safety first - a minimal regulation when you consider how dangerous a firearm is to a child who doesn't fully understand it yet.

Even if you want to say that giving untrained children access to a gun (negligently or otherwise) is a parenting decision, it is still one of those parenting decisions (like the decision to beat one's child) that the WA should be regulating in the name of improving child welfare.

Sanctaria wrote:
The Dourian Embassy wrote:

Indeed.

As for supporting this resolution, my nation encourages restrictive gun laws and has no problem giving it's backing at this time. Provisionally, of course, Ambassador.

I also agree that trending toward "threshold of majority" and away from the historically problematic "age of majority" is a wise move and I've altered the proposal accordingly.

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 am

Princess Christine was in a productive mood.

"A further concern with clause 4 has come up within the Alqanian Permanent Representation, namely that it ought to be clarified that this proposal would not hinder firearm safety education itself. After all, learning how to use a firearm safely may require access to a firearm. Perhaps something along the lines of this could be added?"

4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use, or under proper supervision as part of such education;
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Indeed.

I also agree that trending toward "threshold of majority" and away from the historically problematic "age of majority" is a wise move and I've altered the proposal accordingly.

Glad I could assist.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 am

Alqania wrote:Princess Christine was in a productive mood.

"A further concern with clause 4 has come up within the Alqanian Permanent Representation, namely that it ought to be clarified that this proposal would not hinder firearm safety education itself. After all, learning how to use a firearm safely may require access to a firearm. Perhaps something along the lines of this could be added?"

4. CLARIFIES that notwithstanding the above provisions, it is not unlawful under this Act to provide a gun to a child (or allow a child to access a gun) if that child has received an education in firearm safety and has demonstrated knowledge of firearm safety and proper use, or under proper supervision as part of such education;

I thank the Queendom for their continued interest in this project. I have made the appropriate change, please let me know if the new provision 5 is adequate.

Sanctaria wrote:Glad I could assist.

nod

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives