NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Liberate Hippiedom

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 am

Mahaj wrote:
Cinistra wrote:At the moment, 6203 FOR, 1425 AGAINST. That's a landslide victory.

I for one am glad to see common sense winning.

Common sense leads only to stagnation. No need to celebrate the lemmings.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Lazzarania
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazzarania » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:56 am

Cinistra wrote:
Mahaj wrote:I for one am glad to see common sense winning.

Common sense leads only to stagnation. No need to celebrate the lemmings.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 081903.htm

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 am

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Attempting to undermine the Raider Delegate's control over the region is not without consequences.

The endorsement gap was over 20, and not decreasing. It's not like they were much of a threat to your control of the region.

See: Hell. We removed troops, needed to keep the gap existing.

Cromarty wrote:And the griefing starts.

So, any of those who felt this resolution wasn't needed want to change their opinion?

Anyone see the native threat to hack our forums and feel like changing their opinion?
You know why we kicked them, and you know our patterns. Your fascination with calling us griefers will not cause us to change our methods or tactics.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Fratt Armed Forces
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fratt Armed Forces » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
The endorsement gap was over 20, and not decreasing. It's not like they were much of a threat to your control of the region.

See: Hell. We removed troops, needed to keep the gap existing.

Which basically means you created the threat ...
This could be used to justify pretty much everything. :P
RRA High Commander

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:See: Hell. We removed troops, needed to keep the gap existing.

Which basically means you created the threat ...
This could be used to justify pretty much everything. :P

Silly Fratt :p We're not using it to justify anything... if we want to kickban we will. We won't make up justifications. The point is that there is actually a reason.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Fratt Armed Forces
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fratt Armed Forces » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 am

You created the threat, you weakened the security of your own pointman by moving nations out.
You "punish" natives for something they cannot avoid. >_>

At this point you could even ask all of them to resign WA and leave the region. Every endorsement, every bit of native influence, is some sort of threat, no?
RRA High Commander

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:You created the threat, you weakened the security of your own pointman by moving nations out.
You "punish" natives for something they cannot avoid. >_>

At this point you could even ask all of them to resign WA and leave the region. Every endorsement, every bit of native influence, is some sort of threat, no?

We could ask, but they never listen. Don't think of it as punishment, think of it as collateral damage.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 am

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:You created the threat, you weakened the security of your own pointman by moving nations out.

No see, we didn't weaken our security, because that move was coupled with native ejections. It was a strategic decision.

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:You "punish" natives for something they cannot avoid. >_>

NOW you're on the right track. I wouldn't call it punishment, though. It's not like we're saying "Naughty natives, endorsing the delegate! Go to time out in TRR!" We're just saying "Hey, we're gonna relocate a few of you's to solidify our position here." We even said it was nothing personal.

Everybody takes it so personal. 8)
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Fratt Armed Forces
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fratt Armed Forces » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 am

Which is like saying: "It's not our fault. Had you not been in the region in first place, we would have not banned you". :P
RRA High Commander

Ora Amaris
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ora Amaris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:58 am

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:Which is like saying: "It's not our fault. Had you not been in the region in first place, we would have not banned you". :P

"It's not our fault. If you weren't in the way, the bullet wouldn't have hit you!"
Let beauty and creativity reign throughout the universe,
Preserve the sublime equilibrium of nature,
Find enlightenment through the doors of perception,
An it harm none, do what thou wilt,
Respect yourself, respect all life, celebrate oneness with the universe.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Factbook Entry

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am

Fratt Armed Forces wrote:Which is like saying: "It's not our fault. Had you not been in the region in first place, we would have not banned you". :P

Well it's true :p
Ideological Bulwark #253

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am

Ora Amaris wrote:

"It's not our fault. If you weren't in the way, the bullet wouldn't have hit you!"

This is raider mentality summarised perfectly.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 am

Eist wrote:
Ora Amaris wrote:"It's not our fault. If you weren't in the way, the bullet wouldn't have hit you!"

This is raider mentality summarised perfectly.

What happened to not grouping all raiders/defenders into a single mindset or action?
Would you guys mind moving this conversation to the actual Hippiedom thread? None of this actually relates to the proposal anymore, which is relatively well written and fairly certain to pass.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote: which is relatively well written and fairly certain to pass.

This is a very poorly written document if you ask me. It's certain to pass, sure, but it's really not well-written by any stretch of the imagination.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 am

Zevassa wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote: which is relatively well written and fairly certain to pass.

This is a very poorly written document if you ask me. It's certain to pass, sure, but it's really not well-written by any stretch of the imagination.

Relatively speaking it's par for the course with the SC.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Zevassa wrote:

Morozova raised her left eyebrow at these words and perhaps a touch peevishly asked, "May I ask what particular concerns you have with the text, so I can pass them on to my staff?"

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:05 pm

I studied this raid quite a bit before deciding how I would vote. In the end though, this is a textbook example of why I don't like SC liberations. TBH had a plan and executed it perfectly. They won this battle fair and square. At this point, a liberation is just a cop out to force what the defenders failed to do. Having this passed is not a black mark on the record of TBH...but it is on the record of defenders.

Members of Hippidom- Please do not misconstrue my statements to be unsympathetic towards your plight. I am sorrowful for your loss, which is why I lean towards defenderism and would not participate in such a raid myself. I know what it is like to lose years of history and hard work. If the Council of Narnia was up to full strength, we would have attempted to help in the defense.

A note to founderless regions: Consider refounding your region yourself before this sort of thing happens. When The Council of Narnia lost its founder, I went to great strides to ensure it would never fall under raider control. Ultimately, this meant refounding the region. I believe it was the best decision and we are now secure and thriving. Be proactive about the security of your region. Don't wait for it to be too late.
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Fotar wrote:TBH had a plan and executed it perfectly. They won this battle fair and square. At this point, a liberation is just a cop out to force what the defenders failed to do. Having this passed is not a black mark on the record of TBH...but it is on the record of defenders.

You studied this too hard, and lost sight of what really is going on. Simply, raiders locked a region that didn't deserve it in any way, and the liberation proposed seeks to remove it. Could defenders have done more earlier? Perhaps. But now the NS community is required to take the long route to achieve independence for the region once again.

Instead of it being a "cop out", it's all just part of the game.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Zevassa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zevassa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:
Zevassa wrote:This is a very poorly written document if you ask me. It's certain to pass, sure, but it's really not well-written by any stretch of the imagination.

Morozova raised her left eyebrow at these words and perhaps a touch peevishly asked, "May I ask what particular concerns you have with the text, so I can pass them on to my staff?"

To be frank, no. Anything that I or anyone else could bring up would ultimately be useless as it's already up for vote. I'm not trying to be rude, there's just no point in getting worked up over it.
Female Human Rogue 1 (0/1000 exp)
Chaotic Good

HP: 6/6
Abilities: STR 9 (-1); DEX 17 (+3); CON 10 (±0); INT 15 (+2); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 11 (±0)
AC: 15 = 10 + 1 (Padded Armor) + 1 (Buckler) + 3 (DEX)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Nimble Fingers

Full character sheet

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Fotar wrote:I studied this raid quite a bit before deciding how I would vote. In the end though, this is a textbook example of why I don't like SC liberations. TBH had a plan and executed it perfectly. They won this battle fair and square. At this point, a liberation is just a cop out to force what the defenders failed to do. Having this passed is not a black mark on the record of TBH...but it is on the record of defenders.

Members of Hippidom- Please do not misconstrue my statements to be unsympathetic towards your plight. I am sorrowful for your loss, which is why I lean towards defenderism and would not participate in such a raid myself. I know what it is like to lose years of history and hard work. If the Council of Narnia was up to full strength, we would have attempted to help in the defense.

A note to founderless regions: Consider refounding your region yourself before this sort of thing happens. When The Council of Narnia lost its founder, I went to great strides to ensure it would never fall under raider control. Ultimately, this meant refounding the region. I believe it was the best decision and we are now secure and thriving. Be proactive about the security of your region. Don't wait for it to be too late.

Refounding is time consuming, risky, and often impractical. It also erases much of the very history you're talking about. This isn't about raiders or defenders, this is about natives.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Fotar
Spokesperson

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:22 pm

I haven't lost sight of anything. I know many defenders hate raiders and so on and so forth. Frankly I am tired of that debate and I think many others are too. Raiding is part of the gameplay, and if you don't take steps to protect against it...don't be surprised when it happens. Being founderless is a risk. If you want to take the risk and get raided and not refound...that is your call.

You know...I have heard time and again from many people that raiding a region is just as bad as forum destruction. Well, when my region's forums got destroyed, there was no magic pill to get it back. Sure we got lots of 'sorry it happened'...and they were appreciated. But after that, it was a done issue, as it should be. We moved on, and we struggled a lot. But through hard work and community, we are finally rebounding. No one on the outside helped us, nor would I expect them to.

Getting a forum destroyed was not fun by any means...but it wasn't the end of the world...nor was it an excuse to lay down and die. Neither is being raided, even if the region was totally killed off, which I doubt was the going to be the case here.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Fotar wrote:Getting a forum destroyed was not fun by any means...but it wasn't the end of the world...nor was it an excuse to lay down and die. Neither is being raided, even if the region was totally killed off, which I doubt was the going to be the case here.

So if it was possible, hypothetically, you'd be opposed to a proposal that stopped people from destroying forums?
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Fotar
Spokesperson

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Unibot II wrote:
Fotar wrote:Getting a forum destroyed was not fun by any means...but it wasn't the end of the world...nor was it an excuse to lay down and die. Neither is being raided, even if the region was totally killed off, which I doubt was the going to be the case here.

So if it was possible, hypothetically, you'd be opposed to a proposal that stopped people from destroying forums?

Absolutely not. I do not share the sentiment that the two are equal. I was simply pointing out that there are many who support this liberation (and others) who do consider them equal. My whole point was that if regions can recover from a forum loss with a little hard work and determination, so can a raided region without getting the WA stomping all over. Forum destruction isn't part of gameplay. Raiding is. Neither are the end of the world people make them out to be.

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm

I do not see what that has to do with the liberation resolution currently at vote Unibot. You could just telegram him.

Natives have been ejected by a non-native and a password put in place. No matter how invaders want to spin it clearly natives have lost important rights in the region and need the SC to take some action.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Fotar wrote:Absolutely not. I do not share the sentiment that the two are equal. I was simply pointing out that there are many who support this liberation (and others) who do consider them equal. My whole point was that if regions can recover from a forum loss with a little hard work and determination, so can a raided region without getting the WA stomping all over. Forum destruction isn't part of gameplay. Raiding is. Neither are the end of the world people make them out to be.

But if you'd support WA Intervention against Forum Destruction, but you also admit that Forum Destruction was "not the end of the world".. than denying WA Intervention to block a password on the basis that "Region Destruction isn't the end of the world" would be logically contradictory.

If it is not necessary for X to be "the end of the world" to justify WA Intervention, then it shouldn't be necessary for Y either.

Bear in mind this does not prove Liberations are necessary, simply that your reasons for voting against are contradictory.
Last edited by Unibot II on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives