NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Repeal "Nuclear Power Safety Act"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Passed] Repeal "Nuclear Power Safety Act"

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Submitted for a test run! Delegates, please approve here!

Ok... so the repeal was narrowly defeated, so I figure we should probably re-draft, but keep many of the clauses the way they already are and re-add the hoping clause. Thoughts and suggestions (especially other clauses/changes) are highly welcome!

Repeal "Nuclear Power Safety Act"
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#204 | Proposed by: Bergnovinaia
Argument:
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

CONCERNED that the Resolution in question establishes the NESC and its duties but does not require nations to comply with its suggestions;

ADDITIONALLY VEXED that the NESC's sole mandate is to recommend that member-states implement measures already required under extant international law such as GA #60 Nuclear Disaster Response Act and GA #105 Preparing for Disasters;

NOTING that in the case of GA #60, member nations are ordered to deal with nuclear crises in specific ways;

RECOGNIZING that in GA #105, member states are required to respect nuclear facilities for safety reasons;

FURTHER NOTING GA #204's author's ignorance to the protocols for work place safety in GA #7 Workplace Safety Standards Act which specifically outlines guidelines for safe work environments, as well as protocols for individuals who have to handle hazardous materials;

FRUSTRATED with the oversight of the previous pieces of legislation and the potential dangers created in GA #204 in the following clauses;

APPALLED at the idea that energy corporations and national nuclear energy industries may pick and choose guidelines that suit their corporation’s or nation’s needs without regards to civilian safety;

WORRIED that in order to maximize energy output and profits, corporations and national nuclear energy industries will cut corners, putting the everyday worker and civilian in harm's way from the many dangers of radiation from nuclear power;

TROUBLED that the mandate that member nations “follow adequate building designs" to construct nuclear power plant facilities may lead to corporations or national energy industries using older, more hazardous plans deemed as "adequate”;

ANXIOUS that while nations are required to "establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability", that they are not required to update these procedures on a regular basis;

FRIGHTENED that the same mandate does not give any real form of direction and thus gives corporations and national energy industries the freedom to implement potentially inefficient and non-protective safety codes;

HOPING that any future resolutions related to safety in Nuclear Power address these issues and consider their necessity based on previous pieces of legislation;

REPEALS GA Resolution #204.

The World Assembly:

NOTING that General Assembly Resolution #204, "Nuclear Power Safety Act", establishes the Nuclear Energy Safety Commission (NESC) and its duties but does not require nations to comply with its recommendations;

REGRETTING that the NESC's sole mandate is to recommend that member-states implement measures already required under extant international law such as GA#60: Nuclear Disaster Response Act and GA#105: Preparing for Disasters;

NOTING that GA#60 already mandates that member nations take specific measures to deal with nuclear crises;

RECOGNIZING that GA#105 already requires member states to inspect nuclear facilities for safety reasons;

FURTHER NOTING that GA#7: Workplace Safety Standards Act already establishes guidelines for safe work environments, as well as protocols for individuals who have to handle hazardous materials;

FRUSTRATED by the oversights of the author of GA#204 regarding the above legislation as well as the potential dangers created by GA#204 as follows:

• APPALLED that GA#204 allows energy corporations and national nuclear energy industries to pick and choose guidelines that suit their corporation’s or nation’s needs without regards to civilian safety;
  • WORRIED that in order to maximize energy output and profits, nuclear energy industries will cut corners, exposing workers and civilians to the many dangers of nuclear radiation;
  • TROUBLED that the mandate that member nations “follow adequate building designs" to construct nuclear power plant facilities allows nuclear energy industries to use older, more hazardous plans deemed as "adequate”;
  • ANXIOUS that nations are required to "establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability", but are not required to update these procedures on a regular basis;
  • FRIGHTENED that the same mandate does not give any real form of direction and thus gives nuclear energy industries the freedom to implement potentially inefficient and non-protective safety codes;

CONCERNED also that GA#204 defines nuclear power as "the use of sustained nuclear fission to generate heat and do useful work", thereby excluding other forms of energy generation by nuclear processes, such as nuclear fusion, from safety regulations;

HOPING that any future resolutions related to the safety of nuclear power address these issues, properly taking previous World Assembly legislation into account;

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #204: Nuclear Power Safety Act.

Co-author: Ossitania

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: renamed from "Repeal GA #204"
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Perhaps I missed something in the last drafting session, but why aren't we emphasising the fact that 99% of what NPSA sets out and fails to do is already mandated by existing legislation? What about something like this;

"VEXED that the NESC's sole mandate is to recommend that member-states implement measures already required under extant international law"
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Ossitania wrote:Perhaps I missed something in the last drafting session, but why aren't we emphasising the fact that 99% of what NPSA sets out and fails to do is already mandated by existing legislation? What about something like this;

"VEXED that the NESC's sole mandate is to recommend that member-states implement measures already required under extant international law"

It has been added to the proposal. Too bad we cannot cite other laws, but that would be house of cards, I believe.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Ossitania wrote:Perhaps I missed something in the last drafting session, but why aren't we emphasising the fact that 99% of what NPSA sets out and fails to do is already mandated by existing legislation? What about something like this;

It has been added to the proposal. Too bad we cannot cite other laws, but that would be house of cards, I believe.

Actually, citing other resolutions is allowed in repeals, since they're unrepealable, I believe.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Ossitania wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

Actually, citing other resolutions is allowed in repeals, since they're unrepealable, I believe.

The reasoning is less that repeals are unrepealable and more that they only actually have to remain relevant long enough to be passed.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Ossitania wrote:

The reasoning is less that repeals are unrepealable and more that they only actually have to remain relevant long enough to be passed.

So then I shall cite other resolutions in the piece!

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Ok... some edits are made in red and blue.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Don't forget good ol' GA #7, which already deals with safety in the workplace, including construction standards and proper handling of chemicals.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Ossitania wrote:Don't forget good ol' GA #7, which already deals with safety in the workplace, including construction standards and proper handling of chemicals.

Noted in blue and underlined! Gracias!

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:15 pm

At this rate, maybe we should have the honored delegation from Ossitania be another co-author. :)
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:At this rate, maybe we should have the honored delegation from Ossitania be another co-author. :)

Except we cannot have two............

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:At this rate, maybe we should have the honored delegation from Ossitania be another co-author. :)

I know that... now we're back to square two.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 am

Individuality-ness wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

I know that... now we're back to square two.

Yeah... :/ Although....... Wait, idk?

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:I know that... now we're back to square two.

Yeah... :/ Although....... Wait, idk?

Square 1 was writing the proposal. Square two: co-authorship. :lol:

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Any additional commentary???

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 am

After much consideration and consultation with my previous co-author, Individuality-ness, I have decided to award co-authorship to Ossitania, should they wish to receive it. Both I and my previous co-author feel that their contributions to the new re-draft are highly significant and should be awarded the co-authorship.

Forces of Beelzebub
Attaché

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Forces of Beelzebub » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

SUPPORT

:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap:
:bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Forces of Beelzebub wrote:SUPPORT

The use of smileys is best done in moderation. This is not moderation and is in fact spam. This is your unofficial warning - knock it off. No one (save for yourself) finds it amusing.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Forces of Beelzebub wrote:SUPPORT

The use of smileys is best done in moderation. This is not moderation and is in fact spam. This is your unofficial warning - knock it off. No one (save for yourself) finds it amusing.

So I can post smiley spam in Moderation now? :P
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm glad you're redrafting this proposal. When I first came up with the idea, however, most of my region-mates supported the act, except for the fact it ignored fusion. I feel the lack of coverage for fusion power is an important part that needs to be addressed.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 am

Funkadelia wrote:I'm glad you're redrafting this proposal. When I first came up with the idea, however, most of my region-mates supported the act, except for the fact it ignored fusion. I feel the lack of coverage for fusion power is an important part that needs to be addressed.

I really feel like the lack of mention of fusion power is rather unimportant given the other attacks on the resolution in the repeal.

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Funkadelia wrote:I'm glad you're redrafting this proposal. When I first came up with the idea, however, most of my region-mates supported the act, except for the fact it ignored fusion. I feel the lack of coverage for fusion power is an important part that needs to be addressed.

I really feel like the lack of mention of fusion power is rather unimportant given the other attacks on the resolution in the repeal.

The more the merrier, I say.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:22 pm

(OOC)

Some thoughts below. If I were to rewrite/recast the resolution in my own style (not that I've ever written any before) you can see that at the end of this post.

Bergnovinaia wrote:RECOGNIZING that in GA #105, member states are required to respect nuclear facilities for safety reasons;

You mean 'inspect', not "respect".

Bergnovinaia wrote:APPALLED at the idea that energy corporations and national nuclear energy industries may pick and choose guidelines that suit their corporation’s or nation’s needs without regards to civilian safety;

I would strengthen this to "APPALLED that GA#204 allows energy corporations..."

Bergnovinaia wrote:WORRIED that in order to maximize energy output and profits, corporations and national nuclear energy industries will cut corners, putting the everyday worker and civilian in harm's way from the many dangers of radiation from nuclear power;

TROUBLED that the mandate that member nations “follow adequate building designs" to construct nuclear power plant facilities may lead to corporations or national energy industries using older, more hazardous plans deemed as "adequate”;

ANXIOUS that while nations are required to "establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability", that they are not required to update these procedures on a regular basis;

FRIGHTENED that the same mandate does not give any real form of direction and thus gives corporations and national energy industries the freedom to implement potentially inefficient and non-protective safety codes;

I don't actually see this as a problem, as solving it would lead towards micromanagement, but if others agree then that's fine.

As it stands I would vote for it.

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

NOTING that General Assembly Resolution #204, "Nuclear Power Safety Act", establishes the Nuclear Energy Safety Commission (NESC) and its duties but does not require nations to comply with its recommendations;

REGRETTING that the NESC's sole mandate is to recommend that member-states implement measures already required under extant international law such as GA#60: Nuclear Disaster Response Act and GA#105: Preparing for Disasters;

NOTING that GA#60 already mandates that member nations take specific measures to deal with nuclear crises;

RECOGNIZING that GA#105 already requires member states to inspect nuclear facilities for safety reasons;

FURTHER NOTING that GA#7: Workplace Safety Standards Act already establishes guidelines for safe work environments, as well as protocols for individuals who have to handle hazardous materials;

FRUSTRATED by the oversights of the author of GA#204 regarding the above legislation as well as the potential dangers created by GA#204 as follows:

• APPALLED that GA#204 allows energy corporations and national nuclear energy industries to pick and choose guidelines that suit their corporation’s or nation’s needs without regards to civilian safety;
  • WORRIED that in order to maximize energy output and profits, nuclear energy industries will cut corners, exposing workers and civilians to the many dangers of nuclear radiation;
  • TROUBLED that the mandate that member nations “follow adequate building designs" to construct nuclear power plant facilities allows nuclear energy industries to use older, more hazardous plans deemed as "adequate”;
  • ANXIOUS that nations are required to "establish procedures and arrangements to maintain safety and stability", but are not required to update these procedures on a regular basis;
  • FRIGHTENED that the same mandate does not give any real form of direction and thus gives nuclear energy industries the freedom to implement potentially inefficient and non-protective safety codes;

CONCERNED also that GA#204 defines nuclear power as "the use of sustained nuclear fission to generate heat and do useful work", thereby excluding other forms of energy generation by nuclear processes, such as nuclear fusion, from safety regulations;

HOPING that any future resolutions related to the safety of nuclear power address these issues, properly taking previous World Assembly legislation into account;

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #204: Nuclear Power Safety Act.

Co-author: Ossitania

EDITS: Some tidying up edits and fusion power added.
Last edited by Discoveria on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Discoveria wrote:snipped

We thank the ambassador for all their suggestions and we put in all the suggestions exactly the way the ambassador suggested.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 am

We support this proposal. The Nuclear Power Safety Act is nothing less than either an ill-thought out or a deliberately reprehensible scaremongering attempt to suffocate nuclear power plants under unnecessary bureaucracy. We are also opposed as it renders contracts giving non-governmental independent agencies the responsibility for nuclear power plants null and void, requiring governments to take all of the blame if private sectors or even foreign powers break laws; and furthermore the act fails to directly require private sector nuclear power plants to follow even 'adequate' building designs. It is as ill thought out as an act passed banning governments from transporting drugs into a foreign country, not banning subjects of that government from forcing governments to transport drugs into a foreign country, and then forcing those governments to take the blame if their subjects independently transported drugs illegally into a foreign country, and it is utterly ridiculous.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives