NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Freedom to Contract

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed May 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:No one has an unalienable right to form a contract. Eat, shelther etc, yes. A contract, no. They can have the freedom to do so.

I don't find your distinction satisfying. Rights can be thought of as positive and negative. If you have a positive right, it means that others (governments) have a duty to take some action. The right to food and shelter (arguably), or (more commonly) a speedy trial, are positive rights in the sense that government is required to take some action to provide you with those things.

A negative right is a freedom the government must respect. If you have a negative right, it means that others (governments) have a duty to avoid certain actions. The right to bear arms, the right against quartering of troops, and the right to free expression are among these negative rights. They all prohibit government from taking certain actions that would infringe on your freedom.

Personally I feel that most rights can be understood as having both a positive a negative aspect if you think about them hard enough. The right to petition, for example, includes both the positive right that governments provide a forum for such petitions, and the negative right that government refrain from actions that would prevent a person from petitioning.

But, again, all this is highly academic and not really worth getting into much more. Suffice to say, I don't find your distinction between a "right" to contract and the "freedom" to contract very satisfying. If people are free to contract, it is only because they have a right against unreasonable government interference in their independent dealings.

This is all highly academic and without wanting to drag you into my belief system on rights ((OOC: It's roughly the same as John Madison's)), I would have to say that while I understand your not liking my distinction, I do think you're incorrect.

Which is a pity, because provided you just removed the "right to" I would probably would have voted for it.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Wed May 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Which is a pity, because provided you just removed the "right to" I would probably would have voted for it.

But it would mess up my whole preamble! :geek:
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Sanctaria wrote:Which is a pity, because provided you just removed the "right to" I would probably would have voted for it.

But it would mess up my whole preamble! :geek:

Alas. The price we pay for style. I know it well.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed May 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The reason clause 2 is worded the way it is all comes back to age of majority. I'd really like to just avoid the whole mess by getting rid of "within that nation" so the clause reads:
2. DECLARES that any person who a member nation regards as competent to manage his or her own affairs shall be permitted to enter into binding contracts;

If I thought folks would not object, I would solve the issue as above. I'm just worried about some nations complaining that the "competent" two-year-olds of Quelesh or Linux and the X are not permitted to contract "in MY nation" even though they are regarded as competent elsewhere. I don't mind your wording, and I may just run it up the flag pole in the next draft and see what folks think.

Perhaps "shall be permitted by that nation to enter into binding contracts"?

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 am

My main problem is the all parties agreeing, the problem with any judicial system is that someone is going to disagree.
Ask anyone in prison, they are all innocent.

My next problem is that you seem to be focusing on how nations deal internally with contracts rather than making a framework in international law for the same. your approach is in my view flawed.

Nations should work out between themselves what legalities apply in such situations.

back to our tired example, my government and yours should make a treaty outlining what businesses are allowed to trade with each other and such. because while arms sales (our principal export) might be banned in your nation, I am sure I could interest the evil skull over there in some nice grenades.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:04 am

Ainocra wrote:My main problem is the all parties agreeing, the problem with any judicial system is that someone is going to disagree.
Ask anyone in prison, they are all innocent.

My next problem is that you seem to be focusing on how nations deal internally with contracts rather than making a framework in international law for the same. your approach is in my view flawed.

Nations should work out between themselves what legalities apply in such situations.

back to our tired example, my government and yours should make a treaty outlining what businesses are allowed to trade with each other and such. because while arms sales (our principal export) might be banned in your nation, I am sure I could interest the evil skull over there in some nice grenades.

Just make sure that nuclear weaponry can't find its way into the hands of a PMC.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Bob10101010
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bob10101010 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:38 am

the proposal seems good especially because it seems to allow individuals to form contracts which are foundation of productive economy, and individuals can form these contracts outside the abusive and coercive authority of unions.

I'll probably vote for

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Thu May 31, 2012 7:07 am

What if you ran to a non member state? or we signed the contract there?

That would seem to run into how nations deal with non member states as well.

All in all this is simply too complex an issue for the cookie cutter approach to work.
Alcon Enta

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Thu May 31, 2012 9:28 am

Ainocra wrote:What if you ran to a non member state? or we signed the contract there?

That would seem to run into how nations deal with non member states as well.

All in all this is simply too complex an issue for the cookie cutter approach to work.

Agreed. This proposal is not supposed to be a free trade forum selection law. I've removed the part of provision 5 that was causing confusion.

I've also changed how the Act defines "contract" to make the aims of the law more clear; I've rearranged the language of Clause 2 a bit per the suggestion above; and I've adjusted the language of the preamble so that it no longer refers to a "right" to contract (hopefully, what I did will be enough to appease folks like Sanctaria that are reluctant to think of contact as a "right.")

Best Regards.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Thu May 31, 2012 9:48 am

Looks good, my concerns have been met.

We now feel that this would not cause undue strain on the Ainocran people. I could support this draft.
Last edited by Ainocra on Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alcon Enta

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 am

I'm more inclined to support this after your latest edits.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

I believe this tingling feeling is either a libertarian bill picking up steam, or the People's Medicinal Muffins are kicking in.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Thu May 31, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 pm

I demand the removal of clause 4!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:53 am

Abstain. I'm not sure why the WA needs to regulate this, but it seems harmless... I think.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 am

Auralia wrote:Abstain. I'm not sure why the WA needs to regulate this, but it seems harmless... I think.

I'm inclined to agree that - like banning slavery or child prostitutes - a great many nations already recognize a freedom to contract without needing any sort of WA guidance. I dare say that contract is so engrained in many societies, and folks rely on it so heavily in their daily lives, that it's really hard to fathom what life would look like without it. So, this proposal is one part "many nations already do this, but lets make sure everyone gets this freedom just to be sure."

The second part is the recognition of foreign lawful contracts. As I allude to in the preamble, recognizing a universal freedom to contract would likely have some measurable impact on the frequency and ease with which folks in different nations and from different cultures interact both socially and commercially.

Linux and the X wrote:I demand the removal of clause 4!

But why? That's the most harmless clause there is.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I'm inclined to agree that - like banning slavery or child prostitutes - a great many nations already recognize a freedom to contract without needing any sort of WA guidance. I dare say that contract is so engrained in many societies, and folks rely on it so heavily in their daily lives, that it's really hard to fathom what life would look like without it. So, this proposal is one part "many nations already do this, but lets make sure everyone gets this freedom just to be sure."

I take it you've changed your position, then:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Like others, I wonder if a proposal criminalizing homicide is necessary. I also fear the potential aftermath in which nations rush to pass resolutions criminalizing battery, assault, jaywalking, failure to pick-up after your dog, and other fairly uncontroversial offenses.

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The second part is the recognition of foreign lawful contracts. As I allude to in the preamble, recognizing a universal freedom to contract would likely have some measurable impact on the frequency and ease with which folks in different nations and from different cultures interact both socially and commercially.

That clause has a major loophole - what if a nation passes a law banning all foreign contracts? In such a case, the contract is illegal under domestic law, and therefore does not have to be enforced.
Last edited by Auralia on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:19 am

Auralia wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I'm inclined to agree that - like banning slavery or child prostitutes - a great many nations already recognize a freedom to contract without needing any sort of WA guidance. I dare say that contract is so engrained in many societies, and folks rely on it so heavily in their daily lives, that it's really hard to fathom what life would look like without it. So, this proposal is one part "many nations already do this, but lets make sure everyone gets this freedom just to be sure."

I take it you've changed your position, then:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Like others, I wonder if a proposal criminalizing homicide is necessary. I also fear the potential aftermath in which nations rush to pass resolutions criminalizing battery, assault, jaywalking, failure to pick-up after your dog, and other fairly uncontroversial offenses.

To be fair, there is certainly a relevant difference between the freedom to freely associate and contract, and mandating nations criminalize certain acts.

Then again, your point is well taken. I know that in proposing a freedom to contract, there will be those who object on the "we already do" grounds. The best I can do is offer the opinion that contract is a fundamental liberty interest worth recognizing and enshrining in international law, and that doing so would actually provide some tangible benefit to the international community as a whole.

Auralia wrote:
Cowardly Pacifists wrote:The second part is the recognition of foreign lawful contracts. As I allude to in the preamble, recognizing a universal freedom to contract would likely have some measurable impact on the frequency and ease with which folks in different nations and from different cultures interact both socially and commercially.

That clause has a major loophole - what if a nation passes a law banning all foreign contracts? In such a case, the contract is illegal under domestic law, and therefore does not have to be enforced.

I was under the impression that the following clause prevented a nation from refusing to enforce contracts on the sole grounds that those contracts are from another jurisdiction:
REQUIRES that Member Nations enforce valid contracts from other nations if those contracts would be valid under domestic law

I really think it's cheating to say "oh we're complying with that provision, it just so happens that all foreign contracts are invalid under domestic law."
I suppose I could fix the problem by just adding some sort of "prohibits nations from refusing to enforce contracts solely on the grounds that those contracts were formed in a foreign jurisdiction" language; and I'll do so if others agree that the language as written does not make the intention clear.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:34 am

Linux and the X wrote:I demand the removal of clause 4!

But why? That's the most harmless clause there is.

Sorry, I was high and decided to demand the removal of important clauses of various proposals, compliance with such demands having apparently become an Assembly requirement.

(That's IC. I was not high IRL. You can piss off, DEA.)
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 am

Linux and the X wrote:(That's IC. I was not high IRL. You can piss off, DEA.)

Sure Linux... we all believe that one. :roll: :p

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 am

Linux and the X wrote:(That's IC. I was not high IRL. You can piss off, DEA.)

Sure Linux... we all believe that one. :roll: :p

The first two sentences are my legal declaration, thereby making the third true. :P
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 am

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I suppose I could fix the problem by just adding some sort of "prohibits nations from refusing to enforce contracts solely on the grounds that those contracts were formed in a foreign jurisdiction" language; and I'll do so if others agree that the language as written does not make the intention clear.

That would be a good idea.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:I really think it's cheating to say "oh we're complying with that provision, it just so happens that all foreign contracts are invalid under domestic law."
I suppose I could fix the problem by just adding some sort of "prohibits nations from refusing to enforce contracts solely on the grounds that those contracts were formed in a foreign jurisdiction" language; and I'll do so if others agree that the language as written does not make the intention clear.

Free South Califas would pass this resolution without it, having understood the meaning based on Occam's razor combined with Reasonable Nations Theory. However, we are no longer convinced that the World Assembly consists only of reasonable nations.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am

Pending additional feedback, I think this proposal is ready for a trial run. I'll be submitting it on Friday, June 8th.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't like the addition to clause 5. Say I'm in a cold war with you, or have enacted trade sanctions or the like this could force me to exempt a contract from them. I'd like to see that part removed or at the very least add a compelling national interest clause allowing the nation to refuse to enforce said contract should it be necessary
Alcon Enta

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Ainocra wrote:I don't like the addition to clause 5. Say I'm in a cold war with you, or have enacted trade sanctions or the like this could force me to exempt a contract from them. I'd like to see that part removed or at the very least add a compelling national interest clause allowing the nation to refuse to enforce said contract should it be necessary

I completely agree with your concern and I think the proposal already allows for refusal on legitimate grounds. The provision says you cannot discriminate "solely" on the basis that the contract has a foreign origin. If a contract has a foreign origin and you're also at war with that foreign power (or they're committing genocide, or they're a dangerous economic competitor, etc.), you could refuse to honor the contract.

Nations can refuse to enforce contracts for whatever reason they damn well please so long as "it's from a different place" isn't the ONLY reason.

If you'd like to propose other language to make that more clear, I'm all ears :)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives