NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Transboundary Water Use Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cerlor
Secretary

Founded: Oct 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerlor » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 am

Absolutely wonderful idea. Cerlor highly approves, vote is for
Bill Cosby wrote:A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Robert A. Heinlein wrote:Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Aristotle wrote:Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.

The Foxfyre Islands
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Foxfyre Islands » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 am

The Foxfyre Islands is FOR this resolution as we view the environment is something to be protect.....and exploited later

Chunk of Dirt
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Chunk of Dirt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 am

How would this JWRMP be formed?
Does every nation get one representative or do countries with a bigger percentage of the water get more to say? If a country has more than 50%, then they can do whatever they want.
If every nation would have one representative, and a country would only have just a few square kilometers then it wouldn't be fair for the other countries either.

I welcome the efforts to improve our water quality but I'd like to know the details of how this idea would be executed, or else it would be just empty words and not worth voting for.
Last edited by Chunk of Dirt on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 am

Chunk of Dirt wrote:How would this JWRMP be formed?
Does every nation get one representative or do countries with a bigger percentage of the water get more to say? If a country has more than 50%, then they can do whatever they want.
If every nation would have one representative, and a country would only have just a few square kilometers then it wouldn't be fair for the other countries either.

I welcome the efforts to improve our water quality but I'd like to know the details of how this idea would be executed, or else it would be just empty words and not worth voting for.

The same way all WA committees are formed, "they are staffed by mystical beings (gnomes) that instantly spring into existence and live only to serve on said committee." If you'd read the Proposal Rules you'd know that.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Chunk of Dirt
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Chunk of Dirt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:08 am

sorry for that, then. There are so many walls of text to dig through around here.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am

I'm just going to throw this here:
The Clean Water Act deals primarily with the internal distribution of water to civilians, but there is a clause within it that raises the most concern in regards to potential contradiction:
4) Each nation may determine the following for itself, provided all other provisions of this act are met:
i) Methods for production and distribution of water,
iv) Water usage, conservation, and rationing regulations.
This Office contends that this section of the CWA stands in direct conflict with the following clause in the proposed legislation:
Conserve, improve, and use transboundary water resources responsibly;
Mitigate any downstream hazards caused by upriver human activity;
Agree not to overtap, divert or dam transboundary water resources if the action causes significant harm to neighbouring nations;
Adopt measures to eliminate pollution from agriculture or industrial activities entering transboundary rivers and groundwater basins;
Ensure future development carried out on or near transboundary water resources will not cause lasting, adverse change to them; and
Allow neighbouring member nations to monitor the progress made in mutually agreed joint-implementation programs.

Ignoring this contradiction, the use of the term "human activity" excludes nations that have significant non human populations, an oversight on the part of the author.

AGAINST.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Tanular
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanular » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

4) Each nation may determine the following for itself, provided all other provisions of this act are met:

I'm not a mod or a lawyer, and my personal opinions amount to absolutely zero authority, but I emphasized two words of the CWA that, IMO, would make this act legal. Simply put, if you decide to dam up a river that flows into other nations, you're are making decisions not just for yourself, but for everyone down-river from you as well. You are crossing a boundary when your actions affect other nations. In other words, this act would provide a vehicle for determining how much of that water is for Nation A to use and how much is for Nation B to use, while the CWA allows Nation A to use its share however it wants.

(OOC: The Danube in Europe is a perfect example of this...if Austria blocked off the Danube at Vienna, what happens to Slovakia and the other 5-6 nations downriver?)

This act would serve as a complement to the CWA, governing a highly contentious issue at the international level. Water rights and access to water is an issue that effects the very existence of nations and lives of people everywhere. I'm pleased to see such a well-written proposal tackling the subject.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby IV
Tanulari Ambassador to the World Assembly

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Tanular wrote:

I'm not a mod or a lawyer, and my personal opinions amount to absolutely zero authority, but I emphasized two words of the CWA that, IMO, would make this act legal. Simply put, if you decide to dam up a river that flows into other nations, you're are making decisions not just for yourself, but for everyone down-river from you as well. You are crossing a boundary when your actions affect other nations. In other words, this act would provide a vehicle for determining how much of that water is for Nation A to use and how much is for Nation B to use, while the CWA allows Nation A to use its share however it wants.

(OOC: The Danube in Europe is a perfect example of this...if Austria blocked off the Danube at Vienna, what happens to Slovakia and the other 5-6 nations downriver?)

This act would serve as a complement to the CWA, governing a highly contentious issue at the international level. Water rights and access to water is an issue that effects the very existence of nations and lives of people everywhere. I'm pleased to see such a well-written proposal tackling the subject.

Yeah not seeing that, CWA is explicit. This resolution is deciding for the nations on items that were left for nations to decide.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Greater British Columbia
Secretary

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater British Columbia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:27 pm

I suppose this resolution could benefit the clean water industry.

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 pm

We agree with Zakath that the Clean Water Act, perhaps inadvertently but likely on purpose, reserves the right to determine water conservation and use policy to individual nations. Article 4 of the CWA is plainly a blocker, and the words "Each nation may determine the following for itself.." mean, in context, that nations get to establish their own policies on certain subjects without WA interference.

That said, the fact that this proposal is now at vote renders the point moot. A proposal, once at vote, is presumed to have all legality challenges waived or decided in its favor. Somehow, this proposal does not conflict with the CWA, though only the gnomes know why.

We also agree that inserting the word "human" was unnecessary and an unfortunate oversight. Our regional delegate will not be pleased...

Ultimately, we vote for this act because we think it is good for the WA, technicalities and minor mistakes aside. While there may be some minor flaws, the ultimate aim and the manner in which it is pursued are laudable.
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:46 pm

"Discoveria is an island nation, and does not share water resources with other nations. While we are supportive of this proposal in principle, it seems inappropriate to vote on a subject whose provisions do not currently apply to us; we shall therefore ABSTAIN, but urge nations who will be affected by this to strongly consider the collective benefits of voting FOR."
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:We agree with Zakath that the Clean Water Act, perhaps inadvertently but likely on purpose, reserves the right to determine water conservation and use policy to individual nations. Article 4 of the CWA is plainly a blocker, and the words "Each nation may determine the following for itself.." mean, in context, that nations get to establish their own policies on certain subjects without WA interference.

That said, the fact that this proposal is now at vote renders the point moot. A proposal, once at vote, is presumed to have all legality challenges waived or decided in its favor. Somehow, this proposal does not conflict with the CWA, though only the gnomes know why.

We also agree that inserting the word "human" was unnecessary and an unfortunate oversight. Our regional delegate will not be pleased...

Ultimately, we vote for this act because we think it is good for the WA, technicalities and minor mistakes aside. While there may be some minor flaws, the ultimate aim and the manner in which it is pursued are laudable.

Personally I prefer to live in a world without paradoxes. Against.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Cherryvile
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cherryvile » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Who shall comprise the committee?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Cherryvile wrote:Who shall comprise the committee?
Flibbleites wrote:
Chunk of Dirt wrote:How would this JWRMP be formed?

The same way all WA committees are formed, "they are staffed by mystical beings (gnomes) that instantly spring into existence and live only to serve on said committee." If you'd read the Proposal Rules you'd know that.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative
Ideological Bulwark #253

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Since it seems quite a few of you don't already know this:

There is a longstanding World Assembly convention that the use of the word "human" or any derivation thereof also includes, by default, all fictional races and species any player has created for their member state.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Haven
Civilian

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby White Haven » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:10 am

I want to vote for it, but I cant yet.

Who appoints the members of the panel?
What powers is it given to enforce the positions it makes?

Law without enforcement is idealogical nonsense. Until these questions, and any others like it, are answered I am afraid I will have to vote against the resolution.

EDIT: I read the posts above. But I still ask what powers the panel is given to enforce its regulations.
Last edited by White Haven on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanular
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tanular » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am

White Haven wrote:I want to vote for it, but I cant yet.

Who appoints the members of the panel?
What powers is it given to enforce the positions it makes?

Law without enforcement is idealogical nonsense. Until these questions, and any others like it, are answered I am afraid I will have to vote against the resolution.

EDIT: I read the posts above. But I still ask what powers the panel is given to enforce its regulations.

Simply put, all member nations are literally incapable of violating WA resolutions. Basically, the Deus ex Machina of the WA forces compliance on all WA members, regardless of their individual wishes. There's no exception to this rule; any decision that would be made by an organization created by WA resolution is automatically enforced.

Libertarian-Free State
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian-Free State » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am

To Goddess Relief Office Spokesperson,

On behalf of all the free people of Free Land of Libertarian-Free State, let me extend our deepest appreciation for your concerns for the environment and of impacts upon it and other issues caused by water uses along international borders. Your thoughtful sympathy for the impact of one nation upon another is not without merit.

However, believing in the complete sovereignty and autonomy of NationState countries; believing that sovereign nations have the right to enter into treaties and trade pacts with other nations and to develop their own industry within their sovereign borders without interference or intervention from outside international interests and bodies, uncluding the World Assembly, we must reject and have voted against this Act.

We note your perfectly well-founded and good intentions and look forward to more WA proposals from you that does not cause international bodies like the WA to interfere with the sovereign acts of a NationState country.

Sincerely,

Jose Gomez, Political Columnist-Elected WA Delegate to represent the people of The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State
October 24, 2012
Last edited by Libertarian-Free State on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hippie culture
Civilian

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

I disagree

Postby Hippie culture » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm

I totally don't want this I just want to make more in my industries so I absolutely disagree with this :!:

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Tanular wrote:

Yeah not seeing that, CWA is explicit. This resolution is deciding for the nations on items that were left for nations to decide.

OOC: For what it's worth, I've had formal linguistics training and I agree with Tanular's interpretation:

IC: The CWA is indeed explicit; it explicitly refers to decisions a nation makes "for itself". Not, importantly, "by itself", which would render the Mallorea and Riva interpretation more likely. As it stands, the CWA clearly refers to water decisions relating to one's own nation, but it is not at all clear that the stricter interpretation implying 'only those decisions which affect that nation and no other WA member nations' was meant to be precluded, nor in fact should it be. Indeed, the conscious choice of "for itself" instead of "by itself" seems to suggest that potential victims of such decisions have the right to fair/proportional decision-making power on those issues relating to water supply which affect them. TWUA gives teeth to that interpretation, and thus fills a glaring hole in the otherwise noble CWA. Of course, TWUA is legal because it is up for the vote, but this should also clear up any questions about informal conflicts of legislation.

According to the democratic mandate of 17FAR/WAGA208 Binding Resolution finding the FSC Position on TWUA, the Federated Communities and Economies of Free South Califas stand FOR this measure, which is both necessary and well-executed, and have cast our vote accordingly. Additionally, this humble delegation considers TWUA a coup in the field of environmental legislation, even if it is less ambitious than would normally merit such accolade. TWUA appears poised to pass with flying colors, strengthening national sovereignty and international cooperation on basic human needs in the General Assembly. We hope that this is a sign of things to come in this august chamber.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Anime Daisuki
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Anime Daisuki » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the explanation and the support Free South Califas. :)

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:41 am

I, Vinage v. Grey-Anumia, will be voting AYE on this act after a deadlocked internal vote separated by the number of World Assembly nations within Europeia.

Congrats on the passing. I wonder if it was influenced by the early vote by the author :P

Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Libertarian-Free State
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian-Free State » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm

From the Office of the President and WA Delegate, Chris Forte, of The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State,

The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State is up in arms, practically literally, over the passage of this intrusive act upon the sovereignty of individual and legitimate NationStates countries. We will do all in our power to circumvent, ignore, even to disobey this Act, despite any international repercusions from the World Assembly and some of its member states.

(OOC): Within the parameters and rules of the game, of course.
Last edited by Libertarian-Free State on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanular
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tanular » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Libertarian-Free State wrote:From the Office of the President and WA Delegate, Chris Forte, of The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State,

The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State is up in arms, practically literally, over the passage of this intrusive act upon the sovereignty of individual and legitimate NationStates countries. We will do all in our power to circumvent, ignore, even to disobey this Act, despite any international repercusions from the World Assembly and some of its member states.

OOC: Parameters of the game say you have no choice but to comply in good faith with a passed WA resolution. Its technically not something you see, the game only changes your national states according to the proposal's category and strength, but your nation automatically complies with any passed resolution. Its one of the rules of the WA probably posted somewhere on the forum here.

Libertarian-Free State
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian-Free State » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Tanular wrote:
Libertarian-Free State wrote:From the Office of the President and WA Delegate, Chris Forte, of The Free Land of Libertarian-Free State,

OOC: Parameters of the game say you have no choice but to comply in good faith with a passed WA resolution. Its technically not something you see, the game only changes your national states according to the proposal's category and strength, but your nation automatically complies with any passed resolution. Its one of the rules of the WA probably posted somewhere on the forum here.

OOC: Yes, I know the rule....but it really does take a lot of the realism out of the game as in the real world member states of the UN ignore and violate resolutions, acts, and international laws all the time....we should be able to have a debate, via conflict if necessary, like disobeying Acts, over the proper role and expansion of the WA, as there is one in the real world concerning the UN. It is the mission of my member NationState to be anti-WA global governance, just as some in the real world are anti-UN global governance. My nation can symbolically condemn and commend other members, but does not like real actions that intrude on their sovereignty, again, a parallel to real-world issues and discussions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives