NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Foreign Marriage Recognition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Datavia
Attaché

Founded: May 26, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:47 am

Marcdonia Empire wrote:This whole proposal is hilarious. Nobody knows exactly what it means. It needs to be re-worded or something. At first I thought it meant that all marriages would be legal anywhere as long as it follows the laws of said nation. Either way, this obviously needs to be redone. I'm voting no.

I find paranoid views to be even more reasonable than the approach of people who can't even read a legal text. Sit around here for a while and you will stumble upon some genuine gibberish to compare with. For WA standards, this proposal is about as complex as an EXIT sign.

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 am

"The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically;"

This resolution is an excuse for governments to control and annul marriages pretty much at will...

Very much against.

Datavia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 am

BURNINATI0N wrote:"The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically;"

This resolution is an excuse for governments to control and annul marriages pretty much at will...

Very much against.

Explain why. By no means does this proposal affect national legislation on marriages (except if a nation doesn't currently recognize foreign marriages that would be perfectly legal if performed inside that nation). If a government can "control and annul marriages pretty much at will", it won't be certainly because of this resolution.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:06 am

Christian Democrats wrote:They argue that this proposal would mean that member states would not have to recognize foreign same-sex unions if Resolution 15 were ever repealed (which is highly unlikely). Newsflash: At the moment, member states do not have to recognize foreign same-sex unions.

Repealing Resolution #15? Like that time you were trying to repeal it, until I showed you that loophole in FOMA that allowed member states to outlaw same-sex marriage anyway? Forgive the cynic in me if I think this is more about denying same-sex marriage in your own country, and not forcing other nations to accept it in a sudden fit of "tolerance" among the CD delegation.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am

This proposal is now ahead: 4,282 to 4,279.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Zachtia
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zachtia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am

We fail to see anything wrong with this proposal. You can count on our support!

Av2
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Av2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 am

This will be a close vote.

Mirage Paradise
Political Columnist

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirage Paradise » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 am

Don't rape my nation's sovereignty. Vote AGAINST to preserve a national identity, and to reject this global uniformity nonsense.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:49 am

Ahead
Behind
Ahead
Behind
Ahead
Behind again

The fifth lead change just occurred. Hopefully, a sixth lead change will happen.

Mirage Paradise wrote:Don't rape my nation's sovereignty. Vote AGAINST to preserve a national identity, and to reject this global uniformity nonsense.

What provision would require global uniformity? This proposal respects the cultures of individual countries.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Datavia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 am

Christian Democrats wrote:This proposal is now ahead: 4,282 to 4,279.

Don't brag too much about it! I am for this resolution, but its too close a vote.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Just as an historical note:
The closest vote in General Assembly history ended on Monday, January 10, 2011. Resolution 127, the Conscientious Objector Act, was passed 4,616 to 4,578 (50.2% support, a margin of 38 votes).

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Ahead
Behind
Ahead
Behind
Ahead
Behind again

The fifth lead change just occurred. Hopefully, a sixth lead change will happen.

Sixth lead change . . . this proposal is back in front :!:

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

P0tt34 Land
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby P0tt34 Land » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 pm

So, let me get this straight. Since my nation recognizes gay marriage...does that mean that (as an example) Allonsy (another nation) would have to recognize gay marriage if they do not currently (or ban gay marriage)?

That's why I'm torn on this vote and feel it needs clarification.

Datavia
Attaché

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Datavia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm

P0tt34 Land wrote:So, let me get this straight. Since my nation recognizes gay marriage...does that mean that (as an example) Allonsy (another nation) would have to recognize gay marriage if they do not currently (or ban gay marriage)?

Allonsy wouldn't have to recognize a marriage which wouldn't be legal if performed in its own territory. So, the short answer is: no.

However, all WA nations must recognize at least civil gay marriage, according to the Freedom of Marriage resolution. So the convoluted answer is: that's only a hypothetical scenario.

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 pm

This is a very interesting resolution. I'm going to abstain from making any comments about what the vote may imply as I am not convinced, in spite of WA resolutions to the contrary, people are actually reading the actual resolution. I'm almost starting to get renewed faith in my fellow delegates. Emphasis on "almost."

For the record, I have voted in favor.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 pm

P0tt34 Land wrote:So, let me get this straight. Since my nation recognizes gay marriage...does that mean that (as an example) Allonsy (another nation) would have to recognize gay marriage if they do not currently (or ban gay marriage)?

The General Assembly has passed same-sex marriage legislation in the past.

This proposal would require member states to recognize only those kinds of marriages performed in foreign countries that are already legal in their own nations. Examples of controversial kinds of marriages that some member states might choose not to recognize include incestuous marriages, polygamous marriages, and child marriages. This proposal, however, would not prevent the General Assembly from passing legislation on these kinds of marriages in the future. Currently, the legal status of these sorts of marriages is left to each individual member state.

Right now, no nation is obliged to recognize any kinds of foreign marriages.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Now the delegate vote is FOR. More people said FOR than AGAINST. Yeah! No more people remarrying again and again and again! Why would anyone want that?
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:00 pm

We note an unfortunate loophole: this only requires that foreign marriages receive the same recognition as domestic marriages, but does not ensure that they receive the same rights. While, of course, most of us would agree that this is a distinction without a difference, we doubt that those seeking a way out of compliance would refuse to acknowledge a loophole merely because it is silly, unless they find a better one.
We further note that 1(b) is superfluous, as no marriage could meet 1(a) while failing to meet 1(b).
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

I am going to hold fire on this one. "The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically" means we would not have to recognise forced or violent marriages, but another country could exclude secular ones. Can you clarify on this?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Datavia wrote:However, all WA nations must recognize at least civil gay marriage, according to the Freedom of Marriage resolution.

*psst!* [whispering hoarsely:] Loophole! Loophole! They don't actually have to! :eyebrow:
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Datavia wrote:However, all WA nations must recognize at least civil gay marriage, according to the Freedom of Marriage resolution.

*psst!* [whispering hoarsely:] Loophole! Loophole! They don't actually have to! :eyebrow:

Well, yeah, they can just refuse to recognise marriage, but that hardly seems like the sort of loophole that meets the needs of states wishing to restrict gay marriage.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Linux and the X wrote:We note an unfortunate loophole: this only requires that foreign marriages receive the same recognition as domestic marriages, but does not ensure that they receive the same rights. While, of course, most of us would agree that this is a distinction without a difference, we doubt that those seeking a way out of compliance would refuse to acknowledge a loophole merely because it is silly, unless they find a better one.
We further note that 1(b) is superfluous, as no marriage could meet 1(a) while failing to meet 1(b).

What the heck? The proposal would require member states to provide foreign marriages that meet certain conditions "the same legal recognition as a domestic marriage." What do you think "legal recognition" means? A legal right is nothing more than a privilege that is recognized by law (i.e., it receives legal recognition).

I realize that clause 1b is superfluous. I just wanted to clarify that point.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I am going to hold fire on this one. "The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically" means we would not have to recognise forced or violent marriages, but another country could exclude secular ones. Can you clarify on this?

As intended, the proposal would allow countries not to recognize kinds of marriages that they oppose (subject to other legislation passed by the Assembly). For example, member states that oppose polygamous, incestuous, arranged, and child marriages would not be required to recognize any of those unions.

Recall that, in August, a resolution was passed prohibiting forced marriage: Forced Marriages Ban Act.

If that resolution were ever repealed, however, clause 1c of my current proposal would have the exact same effect.

I have not yet considered any questions of secularity. Concerning that, I believe nations following my proposal would be considering only questions about those who entered the marital union, such as: were they the proper age at the time of marriage? and so forth. This is because those partners would have been allowed to enter a marriage if that union had taken place domestically.

For example:

A marriage between two people who are in their 20s would be legally valid if it had taken place domestically.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:We note an unfortunate loophole: this only requires that foreign marriages receive the same recognition as domestic marriages, but does not ensure that they receive the same rights. While, of course, most of us would agree that this is a distinction without a difference, we doubt that those seeking a way out of compliance would refuse to acknowledge a loophole merely because it is silly, unless they find a better one.

What the heck? The proposal would require member states to provide foreign marriages that meet certain conditions "the same legal recognition as a domestic marriage." What do you think "legal recognition" means? A legal right is nothing more than a privilege that is recognized by law (i.e., it receives legal recognition).

Of course, that's a very reasonable interpretation. A nation trying to avoid compliance, however, would claim that they provide the same legal recognition (as in "yes, we recognise that these people are married") while refusing to provide the associate rights.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:*psst!* [whispering hoarsely:] Loophole! Loophole! They don't actually have to! :eyebrow:

Well, yeah, they can just refuse to recognise marriage, but that hardly seems like the sort of loophole that meets the needs of states wishing to restrict gay marriage.

Doesn't it? If all marriages were extralegal and outsourced to the church...and the church is exempt from the conditions set by FOMA...are you following me?

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Well, yeah, they can just refuse to recognise marriage, but that hardly seems like the sort of loophole that meets the needs of states wishing to restrict gay marriage.

Doesn't it? If all marriages were extralegal and outsourced to the church...and the church is exempt from the conditions set by FOMA...are you following me?

But marriage then could not have legal relevance.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives