NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Foreign Marriage Recognition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 pm

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:According to this resolution's author, this proposal if enacted will have no effect on our laws.

Well, yea, sort of, wait a second here. You have a pretty large sized diaspora out there, are you suggesting that if your members in a diaspora nation get married under the ceremonies of the faith of The Eternal Kawaii in a diaspora nation they have to marry again should they move to another diaspora nation therein?
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Vagabundas
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vagabundas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:58 pm

4. Affirms that this resolution has absolutely no effect on religious practices and that member states are not required by this resolution to recognize marriage or similar unions.

I think that the author of this law should have taken a deeper look on this part of his bill... He is actually denying every thing he told before in his act. Clearly, there is a writting problem and , althought Vagabundas aproove the idea of this bill, we can't vote in favou of this law.

Looking forward to see a new proposal as soon as possible. Yours,
King Mark III

Prime-Minister: Henrique Rodrigues da Mota aka HRM

Royal Cabinet of the Constitutional Monarchy of Vagabundas:
Deputy Prime-Minister: William Layton
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Claude Vontrammp
Minister of the Economy: Júlio Montenegra
Minister of Social Security: John Bridges
Minister of Education and Culture: Julia Windelhanm
Minister of Infraestructure: Arthur Virencio
Minister of Defense: Lord H.K. Camphbell
Minister of Labor and Employment: Lady Kate Hoffmann
Minister of Transportation: Fernando Kavadiña
Minister of Environment: Luisa P. Castro
President of the UHS (Unified Health System): Dr. Jorge Varella
Secretary of Sports: Jefferson Doyle

Thatchland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thatchland » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
In effect, this is what the proposal does.

Right now, since there is no law on this topic:

Member states with marriage can choose to recognize foreign marriages never, sometimes, or always.

If this proposal passes:

Member states with marriage must recognize most or all foreign marriages.

Thatchland wrote:
Then let us not require any WA nation to recognize any marriages - and let current national policies stand. Let us not be a WA that legislates implied discrimination - as in "we know that Nation A will never recognize some of Nation B's marriage - but at least it will recognize those that Nation A currently allows" ... that is nothing but legislation of bigotry. It would be best not to legislate in this case, in our opinion, and let nations do as they see fit.

I don't understand the all-or-nothing logic . . . it's better for a country to recognize no foreign marriages than to recognize most foreign marriages.

As things are right now, a member state could choose to recognize only certain foreign marriages. If this proposal passes, then member states, at the very least, will be required to recognize most marriages from foreign countries. Of course, there is nothing in this proposal restricting member states from providing recognition to all foreign marriages, including incestuous marriages, child marriages, marriages between people and animals, marriages between people and objects, and so forth.

That is a nation's right to do so - to recognize what they wish - by passing this resolution, the WA will now give legitimacy to these acts of bigotry and discrimination. If the WA is not for the removal of the current discrimination, it should at least not codify said discrimination.

So, yes - all or nothing. By doing nothing, at least the WA isn't actively stating that the discrimination is ok. Yes, we would prefer it be all - however, we do not feel the WA body has 'evolved' its views to a point that a Resolution doing such would pass.
American Progress "The Progressive Quiz": 358/400 (Extremely Progressive)
The Political Compass: Economic -9.50 | Social -7.18

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Retired WerePenguins wrote:
The Eternal Kawaii wrote:According to this resolution's author, this proposal if enacted will have no effect on our laws.

Well, yea, sort of, wait a second here. You have a pretty large sized diaspora out there, are you suggesting that if your members in a diaspora nation get married under the ceremonies of the faith of The Eternal Kawaii in a diaspora nation they have to marry again should they move to another diaspora nation therein?

Kawaiians are married under Kawaiian law. Whether or not the host nation of that Kawaiian couple's tribe recognizes that marriage is of no concern to us. Should that couple move from one Kawaiian tribal land to another, the marriage would still be valid. All Kawaiian tribes recognize Kawaiian law equally; our version of the "full faith and credit clause" referred to by some of the representatives here.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Thatchland wrote:

Member states with marriage can choose to recognize foreign marriages never, sometimes, or always.

If this proposal passes:

I don't understand the all-or-nothing logic . . . it's better for a country to recognize no foreign marriages than to recognize most foreign marriages.

As things are right now, a member state could choose to recognize only certain foreign marriages. If this proposal passes, then member states, at the very least, will be required to recognize most marriages from foreign countries. Of course, there is nothing in this proposal restricting member states from providing recognition to all foreign marriages, including incestuous marriages, child marriages, marriages between people and animals, marriages between people and objects, and so forth.

That is a nation's right to do so - to recognize what they wish - by passing this resolution, the WA will now give legitimacy to these acts of bigotry and discrimination. If the WA is not for the removal of the current discrimination, it should at least not codify said discrimination.

So, yes - all or nothing. By doing nothing, at least the WA isn't actively stating that the discrimination is ok. Yes, we would prefer it be all - however, we do not feel the WA body has 'evolved' its views to a point that a Resolution doing such would pass.

Elena stared, dumbfounded, at the Thatchlandian for several long seconds before turning around and swiftly departing the chambers. "I really need a drink."

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Vagabundas wrote:4. Affirms that this resolution has absolutely no effect on religious practices and that member states are not required by this resolution to recognize marriage or similar unions.

I think that the author of this law should have taken a deeper look on this part of his bill... He is actually denying every thing he told before in his act. Clearly, there is a writting problem and , althought Vagabundas aproove the idea of this bill, we can't vote in favou of this law.

Looking forward to see a new proposal as soon as possible. Yours,

That clause doesn't do what you think it does. This proposal would require that member states provide equal recognition to foreign marriages. Some member states do not have marriage at all; therefore, they would not be required to recognize any foreign marriages. The second part of Section 4 is an affirmation that this proposal would not infringe on the right of anarchist or libertarian member states not to have marriage.

Thatchland wrote:

If this proposal passes:

In our nation, recognizing "marriages" between people and objects would be considered a devolution and devaluation of true marriage. The so-called bigots of my nation will not feed into the delusions of some individuals.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 am

It occured to me in the shower today: if the contested clause is intended to give member states an 'out' from recognizing marriages with some element of coercion or statutory rape, or involving objects or interspecies relationships, etc., why not explicitly give states that right? Why dance around it with a clause that clearly leaves the door open for unacceptable discrimination, if a WA of the future should choose to permit it? And instead of being so broad, why can't the resolution explicitly grant the right not to recognize any marriage whatsoever if the state applies this equally to foreign and domestic partnerships? Why the big sweeping general clause?

It is said that we can't read the proposing delegation's minds, and perhaps this is the right approach: even if we trust CD are above board, shouldn't we be stress-testing this resolution and voting it down if it has such potential to be exploited?

We are very interested in passing a foreign marriage recognition bill that would be almost the same as this one, but without an open pathway to discrimination.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Wewak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Foreign Marriage Recognition

Postby Wewak » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:40 am

In consideration of my reason for voting against the proposal to Repeal Liberate United Kingdom of Great Britain, I submit for leave to withdraw my vote against this resolution for Foreign Marriage Recognition. I wish to remain in a neutral position so I hope the Assembly comes up with something which, if not generally acceptable, maybe a sort of process for foreign marriages to be recognized by member nation states. I hereby accordingly REMOVE my vote against this proposal.

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:59 am

Wewak wrote:In consideration of my reason for voting against the proposal to Repeal Liberate United Kingdom of Great Britain, I submit for leave to withdraw my vote against this resolution for Foreign Marriage Recognition. I wish to remain in a neutral position so I hope the Assembly comes up with something which, if not generally acceptable, maybe a sort of process for foreign marriages to be recognized by member nation states. I hereby accordingly REMOVE my vote against this proposal.

What is the relevance of the Current Resolution at vote in the Chambers of the Security Council to this Resolution?
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Wewak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wewak » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:28 am

I am also of the opinion that it may not be appropriate to codify the act of foreign marriage recognition. It is fact that some member states may not recognize some form of marriages conducted in other member nation states. In that way, some may argue on the point of discrimination whatsoever. So inorder to balance the scale, the I wish to remain neutral by way of not taking part in this proposal or otherwise as per consideration of my previous vote.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 am

The honorable Wewak delegation is recognized for its stance of non-intervention into this legislation.

However, if you believe that it is inappropriate to codify the act of foreign marriage recognition, we believe you are obliged to vote against. While Wewak and South Califas disagree with this resolution for different reasons, we strongly urge Wewak to consider that an 'abstain' vote would only help this bill become law, and remind them that neither of us wants that.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:26 am

Christian Democrats wrote:This proposal would require member states to recognize only those kinds of marriages performed in foreign countries that are already legal in their own nations.

"And we are therefore, so far, voting in its favour."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 am

Foreign Marriage Recognition was passed 6,045 votes to 5,079
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 am

The Ossitanian delegation to the World Assembly would like to offer our most sincere congratulations to our colleagues from the Christian Democratic representation on the passage of this fine resolution. :clap:
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 am

I must congratulate the Author. This Resolution has been inscribed on the statute books as GAR #200. Congratulations on the passage of the two hundredth Resolution. It is an accolade that is very well deserved.

Dr Jonas K. Lazareedes
etc
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 am

The delegate from Phing Phong wishes to congratulate the nation of Christian Democrats and their World Assembly delegate as a result of the successful passage of this worthwhile piece of international legislation.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 am

Foreign Marriage Recognition was passed 6,045 to 5,079 (54% support).

I thank all of those (about three-fifths of the representatives here) who voted in favor of this resolution.

From one prominent ambassador spreading outright lies about what this resolution would do (and not withdrawing his comments even after I sent him a telegram) to another ambassador voting against this resolution on the forums of three different game-created regions (and trying to vote on a fourth, where she is not able to vote), this measure survived to become a resolution.

This 200th resolution of the General Assembly now ensures that no member state can discriminate against married persons solely on the basis of the place where their marriage was solemnized. Once again, thank you for your support.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:54 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Foreign Marriage Recognition was passed 6,045 to 5,079 (54% support).

[..]

This 200th resolution of the General Assembly now ensures that no member state can discriminate against married persons solely on the basis of the place where their marriage was solemnized.

Congratulations on a tough win, CD.

Let us all hope that discrimination based on nationality won't be replaced by other forms of discrimination.

We hope the future proves us paranoid and wrong on this resolution.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Cowardly Pacifists
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cowardly Pacifists » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Congrats CD.

I've already drafted a repeal of this Act, and if I even sniff an attempt to repeal FoMA I'll submit it faster than you can say "marriage is between a man and a woman."

Best Regards, old friend. :p
The We Already Surrender of Cowardly Pacifists

Warning: Sometimes uses puppets.
Another Warning: Posts from this nation are always OOC.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Cowardly Pacifists wrote:Congrats CD.

I've already drafted a repeal of this Act, and if I even sniff an attempt to repeal FoMA I'll submit it faster than you can say "marriage is between a man and a woman."

Best Regards, old friend. :p

SEEING that a repeal of the Foreign Marriage Act has been written,
NOTING that it will only be submitted if there is an attempt to repeal FoMA,
BELIEVING that using cheap tricks to get other people to do the dirty work is a damn good idea,
The World Assembly
REPEALS the Freedom of Marriage Act.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:48 pm

The Republic of Quadrimmina is extremely disappointed to see that this resolution has passed. If its provisions are, as we suspect, in contradiction of Quadrimmina's policies with respect to full marriage equality, we will pursue a full repeal effort without prejudice. This resolution is as much a blocker as it is irrelevant. RNT is quite clear.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:The Republic of Quadrimmina is extremely disappointed to see that this resolution has passed. If its provisions are, as we suspect, in contradiction of Quadrimmina's policies with respect to full marriage equality, we will pursue a full repeal effort without prejudice. This resolution is as much a blocker as it is irrelevant. RNT is quite clear.

Nothing in this resolution prevents member states from having more liberal foreign marriage recognition policies.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 am

Quadrimmina wrote:The Republic of Quadrimmina is extremely disappointed to see that this resolution has passed. If its provisions are, as we suspect, in contradiction of Quadrimmina's policies with respect to full marriage equality, we will pursue a full repeal effort without prejudice. This resolution is as much a blocker as it is irrelevant. RNT is quite clear.

Nothing in this resolution prevents member states from having more liberal foreign marriage recognition policies.

Those are not our objections. Our objections stem from the fact that this resolution codifies into law what Reasonable Nation Theory would suggest anyway, and does so in a way that may block further requirements of recognition of foreign marriages. It's a token gesture, if anything, that will prevent any real acceptance of full marriage equality from taking hold.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:

Co-authored:

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:33 am

Quadrimmina wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Nothing in this resolution prevents member states from having more liberal foreign marriage recognition policies.

Those are not our objections. Our objections stem from the fact that this resolution codifies into law what Reasonable Nation Theory would suggest anyway, and does so in a way that may block further requirements of recognition of foreign marriages. It's a token gesture, if anything, that will prevent any real acceptance of full marriage equality from taking hold.

Freedom
Of
Marriage
Act.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:
Quadrimmina wrote:Those are not our objections. Our objections stem from the fact that this resolution codifies into law what Reasonable Nation Theory would suggest anyway, and does so in a way that may block further requirements of recognition of foreign marriages. It's a token gesture, if anything, that will prevent any real acceptance of full marriage equality from taking hold.

Freedom
Of
Marriage
Act.

Nations can still make interracial marriage illegal. Your argument is invalid.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives