NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Foreign Marriage Recognition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun May 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Embolalia wrote:There is absolutely nothing to stop you from using the terms "civil union", "domestic partnership", or even "legal fuckfest" to denote the unions therein described.

We'd appreciate it if you didn't enshrine the last suggestion in any active proposals, of course.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun May 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Embolalia wrote:There is absolutely nothing to stop you from using the terms "civil union", "domestic partnership", or even "legal fuckfest" to denote the unions therein described.

We'd appreciate it if you didn't enshrine the last suggestion in any active proposals, of course.

Then what about "legalized semi-stable orgy unit"
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun May 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:We'd appreciate it if you didn't enshrine the last suggestion in any active proposals, of course.

Group marriage?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sun May 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Group marriage?

A suggestion was submitted some time ago to Damanucan parliament regarding the legalization of this. The wording was interesting: "state-recognized perma-coupled bacchanals". Hasn't reached the floor yet, for some reason...

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 pm

In the USP we refer to that as "livin' the dream"
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm just bumping this up considering it'll be coming to vote in a number of days.

This is not an expression of my support or opposition to this proposal. I haven't even read it yet. Not sure if I want to, to be frank...
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon May 28, 2012 6:09 pm

I would like to thank those regional delegates who have read this proposal sometime during the last 20 days and have chosen to give it their approval. These delegates come from many different regions across the ideological spectrum.

Approvals: 129 (New Chesterfield, New Hayesalia, Dagnia, IIIIIDaoistsIIIII, Armed British Federation, Nurdia, Britandul, Ruzalka, Jamesburgh, Anthony Fridas, Aeternus Terra, Abaven, Mikeswill, Etnofaz, Collector of Souls, Turanic Lands, Lyanna Stark, West Vandengaarde, Damanucus, Ventei, Valedia, The Arenales Republic, Char Aznable Neo Zeon, ELITE GEEKS, BearNation, Erasticanius, The Black Cactus, Lower Poseidonia, Badziew, Saddam Hussein of Iraq, Kingdom of Navo, Blue Wolf II, Wu Wei Shan, Musgoria, Purifination, King Rankmore, Bhavva, Chin-Chillas, Zarquon Froods, Ivorii, Eco-Educa, Troasta, Ananke II, USSARC, Proloteriat, Aeronos, The Committed, Dissant Machine Empire, United Dependencies, CLU, Romanelia, Kauvara, Faranai, Samuraikoku, Splendiferousness, Trektopolis, Kellan, Guanshiyin, Robanistania, Genesis Fifteen, East Klent, New Conglomerate, Genoveia, Poldania, Ariusgrad, New North Symphonia, Democatia, South Salmona, Human people federation, Harikulade, Dragon Corporation, Neostalsis, Jakexbox10, Seazyr, Sangrivia, Free Peoples Cheese, SomeColorMage, Zeontarg, Castiel, Grand America, Northheim, Oyly, Razakia, Starlightia, Zibzibwe, Bald Brummies, PrussianEmpire, Beerithica, Huskarian, The-_Sicarii, GSSR, Obaman WA Mission, RJ H, Terra serena, Naboompu, Aravea, Lumasto, Basilon, The Borderlands of the Wastelandss, Saint Gladiolus, Kingsley Bedford, Bannanahail, The Wiggle, Republic of Shanka, Tyhcoon, The Eternal City, Herobrinia, The Communist Empire of Platypus, General Hammond, Goodclark, Kizania, Ivanoland, Tepes Imperium, Fenrisfels, Gerzam, Metallicanistan, Ambibia, Not to be known, Wilkshire, Igualland, Storm and Rage, Abisburgo, Hosbiarna, Glorious Equality, Brezevski, Paynezania, The Land of the Grand Master, Frenequesta, Citigroup)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Free South Califas is AGAINST this resolution.

1. Requires every member state to provide every foreign marriage that meets all of the following conditions the same legal recognition as a domestic marriage: ... c. The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically

This resolution would codify into law the disenfranchisement of same-sex marriage units, who do not currently enjoy marriage rights within all WA member nations. This would institutionalize the practice of denying visitors and immigrants the right to the fullest civic participation which they might otherwise expect in those nations.

It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for the World Assembly to impose fresh oppressions on the basis of arbitrary and culturally-interpreted groupings such as sexual orientation. We urge this august body to reject such harmful equivocation in the strongest terms and we condemn all nations inside and outside the WA which currently impose backwards, authoritarian, provincial, ignorant and disgusting limits on the right of all people to freely associate and to petition their governments for the equal recognition of such associations.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Free South Califas wrote:This resolution would codify into law the disenfranchisement of same-sex marriage units, who do not currently enjoy marriage rights within all WA member nations.

Yes they do; see res. 15.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Free South Califas wrote:
Free South Califas is AGAINST this resolution.

1. Requires every member state to provide every foreign marriage that meets all of the following conditions the same legal recognition as a domestic marriage: ... c. The marriage would be legally valid if it had been performed domestically

This resolution would codify into law the disenfranchisement of same-sex marriage units, who do not currently enjoy marriage rights within all WA member nations. This would institutionalize the practice of denying visitors and immigrants the right to the fullest civic participation which they might otherwise expect in those nations.

It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for the World Assembly to impose fresh oppressions on the basis of arbitrary and culturally-interpreted groupings such as sexual orientation. We urge this august body to reject such harmful equivocation in the strongest terms and we condemn all nations inside and outside the WA which currently impose backwards, authoritarian, provincial, ignorant and disgusting limits on the right of all people to freely associate and to petition their governments for the equal recognition of such associations.

Here is a link to the same-sex marriage law: http://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolutions/council=1/start=14

That clause in my proposal primarily would prevent people from working around domestic marriage laws by elopement.

An example would be laws that set marriageable ages. Country A might set a minimum age of 14, and Country B might set a minimum age of 18. That clause would prevent two citizens of Country B who are 15 from eloping to Country A to avoid their domestic marriage laws.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Tue May 29, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Is this something that even comes up as an international issue?

I've yet to think of a single situation where this could possibly be of importance to individuals who visit my nation (though I admit that my nation isn't exactly the tourist haven of the known world).

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 am

Thank you for the information on past legislation. We must have gotten a bit heady at the ambassador's bar.

If this resolution intends to reduce individual liberty for no compelling reason other than their rulers' artificial claim to power, I am even more AGAINST it. Is it not enough to govern those who give their consent?
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Cerberion wrote:Is this something that even comes up as an international issue?

I've yet to think of a single situation where this could possibly be of importance to individuals who visit my nation (though I admit that my nation isn't exactly the tourist haven of the known world).

It depends on your nation's domestic laws. Does spousal privilege exist in your nation's courts?

Do citizens of your country ever travel to foreign countries to marry?

Free South Califas wrote:Thank you for the information on past legislation. We must have gotten a bit heady at the ambassador's bar.

If this resolution intends to reduce individual liberty for no compelling reason other than their rulers' artificial claim to power, I am even more AGAINST it. Is it not enough to govern those who give their consent?

This resolution wouldn't reduce individual liberty because, right now, nations are not required to recognize any marriages from foreign countries. Also, this proposal would not restrict the General Assembly's ability to enact additional marriage laws in the future. This proposal would be a modest expansion of the rights of spouses when traveling abroad.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Upon further consideration, our objections previously noted are irrelevant, and my government will be urging our regional delegate to vote FOR this proposal.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed May 30, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm still rather hesitant to support this.

The Ambassador's views on marriage have generally been totally at odds to my own. I'm not convinced that his motives behind this are genuinely to ensure that marriages performed in nation A are recognised in nation B.

That being said, there is nothing objectionable, at least to my own, tired eyes here.

Sigh. What to do.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am

I'm the first one to vote in favor of this proposal. :geek:

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 am

I, Lothar Prolark, World Assembly Delegate and Media Minister of Europeia will be one of the first to vote NAY on this proposal after a 2/3 internal vote decided said action. While it is early days our position may change we, at current, do not see the actual point or need of this proposal. It just doesn't seem necessary and I've had others inform me that they are lukewarm at best towards it.

Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Horusland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Horusland » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 am

LOL, more people want to remarry over and over than to marry once. Real Casanovas.
A series of strange bipolar phenomena collectively known as adolescence, taking over a nation formerly terrorizing NSG as an awkward and slightly braindead child.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

While we support the concept of this proposal, we are mildly opposed to the implementation. We therefore cast our votes AGAINST. However, should it pass, we do not plan to initiate drafting of a repeal, though we would be willing to participate in drafting or submitting on behalf of a non-member or member with insufficient approvals a repeal.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:25 am

Having received overall support in high-level discussions in the regional forum of The North Pacific, Zemnaya Svoboda lodges an interim vote in favor of this resolution.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 am

Right now, the non-delegate nations are voting in favor of this proposal 2:1. Hopefully, the delegate vote will catch up in the next few hours.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Starkindler
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkindler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:37 am

(OOC: Nation is WA capable through puppet: Species 10192)

The Empire of Starkindler finds this proposal objectionable, thus decided to vote against.
The reasoning behind our vote was that Clause 1/c permits all the nations to discriminate against marriages that would not be legal in the said state, usually referring to racial/species/gender boundaries.

The Empire would propose that first, the right to marry should be extended to an arbitrary number of sentient individuals capable of giving free and individual consent under WA regulations. Therefore, that law should abolish all the arcane religious nonsense restricting same-sex marriages, polygamy clauses, sentient rights, Goddess forbid eugenics laws.

If that, due to opposition, cannot be solved, then the right for couples to marry abroad shall be given, and this proposal should be modified to force a blanket acceptance on the other countries, allowing citizens of backwards nations to enjoy the freedom of marriage.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 am

Starkindler wrote:(OOC: Nation is WA capable through puppet: Species 10192)

The Empire of Starkindler finds this proposal objectionable, thus decided to vote against.
The reasoning behind our vote was that Clause 1/c permits all the nations to discriminate against marriages that would not be legal in the said state, usually referring to racial/species/gender boundaries.

The Empire would propose that first, the right to marry should be extended to an arbitrary number of sentient individuals capable of giving free and individual consent under WA regulations. Therefore, that law should abolish all the arcane religious nonsense restricting same-sex marriages, polygamy clauses, sentient rights, Goddess forbid eugenics laws.

If that, due to opposition, cannot be solved, then the right for couples to marry abroad shall be given, and this proposal should be modified to force a blanket acceptance on the other countries, allowing citizens of backwards nations to enjoy the freedom of marriage.

Same-sex marriage law: http://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolutions/council=1/start=14

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:45 am

Sounds good to me. A Yea from Alyekra.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Tomiislav
Political Columnist

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tomiislav » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 am

The representative of Tomiislav stands up, looking confused.

"To me, it appears the aim of this bill is to support segregation and racism. For example, if a country or leadership wants to keep out a race it finds inferior, this bill can be used to filter out, or discourage legal immigration to their nation. This could cause possible problems and wars. For example, if the leadership of a member nation wants to keep the Jewish faith out of there nation without breaking WA laws, they could just make a law saying that Jews can not marry, therefore, no Jewish people would be able to live in that nation as a couple. Clearly taking away the Civil Rights the WA wants to preserve. Our stance will be against until someone can disprove or relieve me of these worries."
Last edited by Tomiislav on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives