NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed!] Repeal Numismatics Appreciation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am

Quelesh wrote:While my own vote on this resolution will be determined by the wishes of my region, I encourage everyone who can do so to vote AGAINST this resolution. The resolution being targeted for repeal is harmless and mildly beneficial, and should not be repealed.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Actually, it's nominally beneficial, and costs money, and while I understand the interest by some in spending disproportional amounts of money at an obscure apsect of a nation's culture, I fail to see the necessity.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Mitchell Ferris,
Plenipotentiary and Ambassador-at-large of Sciongrad

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:29 pm

We still think this is gratuitous and hope the tide of the vote turns against the resolution in due course.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Firunda
Civilian

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

hello im a new nationstates member and i vote for this act

Postby Firunda » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am

Scion Lop On wrote:I figured while we're cleaning house, we may as well take a crack at removing some of the touchy-feely resolution that do very little to improve the world. Which is not to say that I don't think cultural heritage is important, but the magnitude in which the resolution involves the World Assembly in trivial aspects of national culture is unnecessary. So, without further ado:

The General Assembly,

COMMENDING the intentions of General Assembly Resolution #56, insofar as it aims to preserve the monetary culture of member nations;

DISPUTING, however, that the currency of a nation is a "monumental part of [its] history," as well as the notion that "cultural heritage and tradition can be preserved through the safeguarding of each nation’s currency;"

ASSERTING that the amount of resources alloted to preserving one miniscule aspect of a nation's history, as provided in GAR#56, is superfluous;

ACKNOWLEDGING that GAR#56 states, in relevant part:

4. Obligates each World Assembly member nation to regulate the buying and selling of coins and banknotes;

REGRETTING that clause four contravenes the intended purpose of the resolution by creating an opt-out for unwilling nations due to a lack of mandatory regulations, aside from the requirement that "World Assembly member nations [regulate] the buying and selling of coins and banknotes," to any degree in which they find acceptable;

CONSIDERING it to be unnecessary for the World Assembly to regulate the trade of currency, as standard market price determination is more effective than an international grading system established by WANA;

CLARIFIES that nations may still create establishments dedicated to the preservation of their currencies, notwithstanding the passage of the repeal;

FURTHER CLARIFIES that General Assembly Resolution #56 does not prevent one-world currencies, nor does it involve itself in economic mediums of exchange, aside from items that are collected privately for cultural or personal reasons;

Hereby,

REPEALS General Assembly Resolution #56, "Numismatics Appreciation Act."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:03 am

The resolution targeted is harmless, has a genuinely international component (even by our standards), and might even be good for business: We say keep it.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Oscilloscope
Secretary

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oscilloscope » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 am

Oscilloscope's ambassador looks over the repeal and quickly goes back to doing something more important, which in this case happened to be taking his robotic dog out for a walk.

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:56 am

Bears Armed wrote:The resolution targeted is harmless, has a genuinely international component (even by our standards), and might even be good for business: We say keep it.

Not only is it harmless, but it's useless. As I've said before - harmlessness becomes a totally different issue when it involves a disproportional price in order to maintain that minimal benefit. Also, it seems we genuinely disagree over whether or not this resolution is of international scope, and I'm inclined to respectfully disagree with you.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Unsurprisingly, I'm sure, we have registered our votes in favor. We are looking forward to getting this unnecessary legislation off the books.

Cheers!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Unsurprisingly, I'm sure, we have registered our votes in favor. We are looking forward to getting this unnecessary legislation off the books.

Cheers!

Thank you for your support, your Excellency! Needless to say, I share your enthusiasm in seeing this resolution repealed.

Wewak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wewak » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Practically speaking, we dont have time to buy and sell currencies for every nation. AGAINST

Scion Lop On
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scion Lop On » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Wewak wrote:Practically speaking, we dont have time to buy and sell currencies for every nation. AGAINST

... What? Pardon my succintness.
Last edited by Scion Lop On on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives