NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Double Jeopardy Prohibition"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zaklen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaklen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:51 am

The ShinRa Company 7 wrote:The ShinRa Company 7 denies the passage of this bill. For we believe that once you are acquitted of a said crime, you cannot be retried. It would be quite possible, if this legislation was reversed, to sway other people or nations to alter a previous verdict.

Therefore, I deny passage and will pray that my fellow WA members choose to do the same. However, at the end of the day--no matter the decision--I hope we are able to cast our differences aside no matter the outcome.

I thought I'd bring to your attention that "Double Jeopardy" Prevents the retrial of someone if they are acquitted of murder, and then immediately stand up and yell "I did it!" at the top of their lungs. How is that justice?
- Peter Zyvex
Supreme Ruler of Zaklen

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 am

" 'Double Jeopardy Prohibition' is getting crushed. My faith in humanity is slightly restored."

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:32 am

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

We rise in support of the World Assembly's continued efforts to clean house, ridding this body of poor legislation so that better may take its place. Keep up the good work, ladies and gentlemen.

The problem here is that there is no garaentee that the replacement will pass.
We could well be left with no double jeopardy protection resolution rather than one that works as intended most of the time.
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:43 am

The ShinRa Company 7 wrote:The ShinRa Company 7 denies the passage of this bill. For we believe that once you are acquitted of a said crime, you cannot be retried.

You do realize that you can continue to do that even if this is repealed, right?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Karphthos
Secretary

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Karphthos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

Voted for immediately, actually, I was one of the very first voters 8)
Pandion Haliaetus for President

Murray the Evil Skull
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 am

Suddenly the doors of the Festering Snakepit are a thrown open and a largish self-propelled cannon looking device rolled inside the Assembly Hall.The barrel was enourmous(it loked like you could fit a person inside the barrel. A rather fetching camo bikini-clad catgirl named Clarice was driving the device. Sitting next to her, in the commander's seat was Murray(who was wearing a Wehrmacht Tank officer's cap). Accompianing the device were a score of camo bikini clad Catgirls carrying tasers, and lassos. All wore rather fetching Wehrmacht Tanker caps as well. The device rolled to the center of the room and turned to point at a window facing the Vastia Memorial Reflecting pool, 13 floors below. The Skull msmiled most evilly and said,

"Greetings mortals. It is I Murray, the harbinger of all your dooms, and the future leader of the WA. I have come to offer my support to this lovely repeal authored by the delegation of Mousebumples....a nation after my own blackened soul. As you can see I have borrowed Felix's Defenestrator Mark 1.0. I shall now demonstrate how it works. And since I find his arguemnets idiotic, the ambassador from the Shinra Company 7 will be the first.....but definately not the last Mortals! MYUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Get him ladies."

Whooping and cheering the catgirls charged over to the ambassador, subdued him, then loaded him into the barrel of the cannon, which began to clang, whirr, and hum.

"Fire!", Murray yelled.

Clarice replied as she pressed the trigger,
"Aye Aye, boss!"

With a whoosh of compressed air, the ambassador from Shinra Company 7 was hurled out of the window, and landed with a splash a few seconds later into thr Vastian pool below.
Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

Zaklen
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaklen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

Good show, Murray.
- Peter Zyvex
Supreme Ruler of Zaklen

Karphthos
Secretary

Founded: Apr 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Karphthos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

With a whoosh of compressed air, the ambassador from Shinra Company 7 was hurled out of the window, and landed with a splash a few seconds later into thr Vastian pool below.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Pandion Haliaetus for President

Hiraga
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiraga » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:23 pm

"This destroys my faith in the WA to properly create a venue to protect the rights of innocent people in the world from the harassment of tyrannical regimes. My nation is against this repeal, for it does work as intended and this is a conspiracy by those that wish to destroy the WA and it's ideals to remove the very protections they despise."

"If this is not stopped, Hiraga will have no other recourse than to leave the WA as is it's right. The charter of my region cannot allow my nation to stay in it's circle of influence and support the repeal of a resolution that protects civil rights."
May the Great Librarian protect us, in the form of the Owl, her avatar among us.

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Hiraga wrote:"This destroys my faith in the WA to properly create a venue to protect the rights of innocent people in the world from the harassment of tyrannical regimes. My nation is against this repeal, for it does work as intended and this is a conspiracy by those that wish to destroy the WA and it's ideals to remove the very protections they despise."

Do you have any, you know, "evidence" of this conspiracy? Or are you just using dramatic hyperbole i.e. lying?

Ambassador Aram Koopman

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:01 pm

The ShinRa Company 7 wrote:The ShinRa Company 7 denies the passage of this bill. For we believe that once you are acquitted of a said crime, you cannot be retried. It would be quite possible, if this legislation was reversed, to sway other people or nations to alter a previous verdict.

Therefore, I deny passage and will pray that my fellow WA members choose to do the same. However, at the end of the day--no matter the decision--I hope we are able to cast our differences aside no matter the outcome.

So, pray tell, may I ask what happens if a jury is bribed into declaring a defendant not guilty despite the overwhelming evidence towards their guilt?

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Paper Flowers
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paper Flowers » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Hiraga wrote:"This destroys my faith in the WA to properly create a venue to protect the rights of innocent people in the world from the harassment of tyrannical regimes. My nation is against this repeal, for it does work as intended and this is a conspiracy by those that wish to destroy the WA and it's ideals to remove the very protections they despise."

So it is the intent of Hiraga to allow corruption, bribery, intimidation and the like to govern the legal system rather than to allow nations to take reasonable measures against such actions? By not allowing retrials under any circumstances you are giving the guilty exactly the weapons they need to be able to escape punishment for their crimes and in doing so you are no better than they.

"If this is not stopped, Hiraga will have no other recourse than to leave the WA as is it's right. The charter of my region cannot allow my nation to stay in it's circle of influence and support the repeal of a resolution that protects civil rights."

I believe this is where I call dibs on the soon-to-be vacant office.

Ambassador Walker
Liam. A. Saunders - Paper Flowers Ambassador to the World Assembly.

Factbook (under construction - last update 14th November 2012)
Current Affairs - Ambassador Walkers disappearance remains a mystery, Ambassador Saunders promoted in his place.

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:08 am

I, Lothar Prolark, World Assembly Delegate and Media Minister of Europeia will be voting Repeal/Aye on this proposal after a 3/1 internal vote deciding such action. We previously voted Nay on the first vote for this Proposal and are glad to see it come to a swift end.

Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:11 am

Paper Flowers wrote:

So it is the intent of Hiraga to allow corruption, bribery, intimidation and the like to govern the legal system rather than to allow nations to take reasonable measures against such actions? By not allowing retrials under any circumstances you are giving the guilty exactly the weapons they need to be able to escape punishment for their crimes and in doing so you are no better than they.

Ambassador Walker

Fine. Tell you what, I'll share the office - the Federal Government has assigned me more staff, so I need more office space. Building Management is such a nightmarish bureaucracy that it's just easier to make arrangements with other diplomats than to arrange offices through Building Management.

Klause Uliyan
etc
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 am

Merfurian wrote:
Paper Flowers wrote:

Ambassador Walker

Fine. Tell you what, I'll share the office - the Federal Government has assigned me more staff, so I need more office space. Building Management is such a nightmarish bureaucracy that it's just easier to make arrangements with other diplomats than to arrange offices through Building Management.

Klause Uliyan
etc

How about a three-way space share? I'm getting sick of being stuck in Electronic Waste.

Stephanie Orman

Detectatia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Detectatia » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 am

Though our fledgling nation is new to the World Assembly, the people of Detectatia will find it comforting to know that our decision for application to the World Assembly will hopefully not allow our nation to have to submit to what we can only describe as a troubling resolution banning double jeopardy, as evidenced by the current vote count.

Detectatia recognizes that double jeopardy is indeed a problem no citizen should have to endure. However, as stated in the resolution, we are not pleased with the mandate prohibiting a second trial, even in the case of new evidence. Detectatia is a nation founded on the principles of government at an absolute minimum, and freedom at the forefront. But a key part, and in fact, one of the only parts of government to Detectatia is the enforcement of reasonable and impartial and accurate justice against all those who would violently restrict the rights and abuse the volition of others: whether this be through murder, robbery, or otherwise.

Therefore, as a representative and ambassador of The People's Republic of Detectatia, I will be casting a vote in support of the resolution at hand.

Respectfully,
Weston Richey
Representative
The People's Republic of Detectatia
The NationStates of DDO
DETECTATIA CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION PER MY GREAT RETCON PROJECT OF 2016

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 am

Damanucus wrote:
Merfurian wrote:

Klause Uliyan
etc

How about a three-way space share? I'm getting sick of being stuck in Electronic Waste.

Stephanie Orman

Done. I will happily share the office with two fine ambassadors. In return, we will do likewise with my office.
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 am

Sanctaria wrote:I've voted FOR, but this may only be temporary, depending on the regional vote of my region which I have to abide by.

But at least I'm stacking in your favour. You can thank me later! ;)

I was able to vote FOR after all!

Nothing makes this Ambassador more happy.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Great England and Northern Wales
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Great England and Northern Wales » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:26 pm

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Constitutional Monarchy of Great England and Northern Wales
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs strongly agrees with the
proposed repeal and pledges our nations full support to
the influence of the in question repeal proposal, due
partly to a problem with detaining certain criminals
using the original 'Double Jeopardy Prohibition' proposal
to unjustly de-legitimise secondary trials presenting new
evidence to the case.
Left-leaning centrist. Pro secularization. Anti privatisation. Pro Afghanistan War. Anti Iraqi War.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm

The Sublime Island Kingdom casts its vote for this repeal.

Knootoss wrote:" 'Double Jeopardy Prohibition' is getting crushed. My faith in humanity is slightly restored."

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

Dr. Koopman, you will understand that I say this in the absolute most heterosexual way possible: that new hat of yours is positively fabulous.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Arivali
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivali » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 pm

While I'm beginning to get tired of the constant repeals, this one needs repealed. If someone is convicted, why try them again? Oi...

Dagguerro
Envoy

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagguerro » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:20 am

Murray the Evil Skull wrote:*snip*

Representative, I must verhemently object.

Not to firing the ambassador from Shinra Company 7 through the window, he had it coming. But the carpet! Look at what wheeling your cannon in has done to the carpet!

In any case we are very pleased to vote in favour of this repeal.
Patrician Lord Nicholas Ashemore - Elected Supreme Leader of The Benevolent Empire of Dagguerro

His Excellency Lord Daniel Swift - Dagguerrean Ambassador to the World Assembly

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 am

Dagguerro wrote:
Murray the Evil Skull wrote:*snip*

Representative, I must verhemently object.

Not to firing the ambassador from Shinra Company 7 through the window, he had it coming. But the carpet! Look at what wheeling your cannon in has done to the carpet!

In any case we are very pleased to vote in favour of this repeal.

Don't worry; the gnomes can fix that up when they repair the window.

By the way Murray, I was wondering where that had been put some time ago. Why did you not tell me you had it stashed away in your office?

Arivali wrote:While I'm beginning to get tired of the constant repeals, this one needs repealed. If someone is convicted, why try them again? Oi...

You might want to read the original resolution, fellow Ambassador...

Stephanie Orman

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:13 am

Nigel stands up.

"I rise today to cast my vote for this repeal as the original prohibition has it has directly affected our television industry. For weeks now our number one TV quiz show has been unable to proceed as it would like as without double jeopardy there's no way for the scores to really change, nor is there any way to get to final jeopardy."

Ginger glanced around the chamber an starts to pull on Nigel's shirt sleeve.

"This has kept this show in its first phase which gets pretty boring. I mean how many times you can hear 'no sorry you are wrong', or 'no sorry there's no more categories left'... it's been very bad for our..."

Ginger starts to whisper to Nigel through tightly gritted teeth. He ignores her.

"Personally I feel this is a very irresponsible act to begin with, what the IntSov crowd has against a simple TV quiz show is completely beyond me, what's next? Will we pass legislation making it illegal to by a vowel, or to say 'no whammies' before hitting a button..where does this tyranny end?!"

Finally Ginger yanks Nigel down by the shirt collar... after a short whisper exchange that ends with the word that sounds suspiciously like git. Nigel straightens and flashes a sheepish smile.

"Right... well that's a ballgame of different color now isn't it.... still we support this..."

He sits back down.
Last edited by Philimbesi on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Murray the Evil Skull
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 am

Arivali wrote:While I'm beginning to get tired of the constant repeals, this one needs repealed. If someone is convicted, why try them again? Oi...

"Grab him ladies!", Murray said with a malevolent grin.

Whooping and cheering the camo bikini clad catgirls swarmed the ambassador, subdued and loaded him into the barrel of the cannon. A few moments after a slikght whirring and humming as the Defenestrator charged up, Murray yelled out to Clarice,

"Fire, mortal!"

"Aye Aye!", Clarice replied as she pushed the trigger.

There was a great whoosh of compressed air and a crash as the ambassador was propelled out of the window. His screams trailed away into a splash as he hit the water of the Vastian pool a few seconds later.

Murray turned his attention to the startled masses in the Festering Snakepit and said,

"I'm also tired of all the bitching about repeals, mortals! so who else wants some! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Damanucus wrote:Don't worry; the gnomes can fix that up when they repair the window.

By the way Murray, I was wondering where that had been put some time ago. Why did you not tell me you had it stashed away in your office?

"Actually I borrowed it from Iron Felix, mortal. It was just gathering dust, because he made an improved model(ie. the Defenestrator Mark 2.0). I found it in the basement under a tarp."
Last edited by Murray the Evil Skull on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives