NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Double Jeopardy Prohibition

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:37 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yet you posted this specific resolution and shoved it into the voting process in a single week.

Most of the language of this proposal, including the language in clause 1, has been discussed in this chamber for almost two months, with hardly a peep about this issue until quite recently.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Quelesh wrote:I have made no mistake at all. The proposal says and does exactly what I want it to. If a nation wants to allow prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts, but is foolish enough to interpret "acquit" in such a way that it prohibits them from doing so, that's neither my fault nor my problem. Your interpretation of this proposal is just plain wrong.

You have yet to provide any adequate definition of acquit that supports your viewpoint. Every single definition of acquit shows that you are wrong, yet you still bravely push forward, ignoring the examples I have provided because your IntFed legislation is Right and Just, and anyone who disagrees is Wrong and Misinformed.

I have more than adequately explained how member states will be able to allow prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts under this proposal. I strongly suspect that you are being deliberately obtuse in your refusal to recognize a distinction between a not guilty verdict and an acquittal. I think you're deliberately misrepresenting what this proposal does in a misguided attempt to drum up opposition.

Knootoss wrote:We must oppose this resolution as well. It does not, in fact, prohibit Double Jeopardy so much as the prosecution appealing against an initial finding of 'not guilty'. Clearly, this is unacceptable. I implore the authors to withdraw the resolution and consider their wording more carefully.

As I have repeatedly explained, there is a distinction between an initial not guilty verdict and an acquittal. If clause 1 said "been found not guilty," then it would do what you say it does. But it does not say that, so it does not do that.

Quadrimmina wrote:The Republic of Quadrimmina can regrettably not support a proposal that would limit our ability to, with new evidence and due process, retry an individual for a crime for which he or she was acquitted specifically due to lack of that evidence. It would be an affront to public safety and the sanctity of our criminal justice system. We take human rights in criminal justice very seriously, but must note that flexibility in law enforcement is equivalently important.

I continue to maintain that the extremely rare case that you describe does not justify opening the floodgates to double jeopardy, and that the procedural rights of defendants, including the right to be free from double jeopardy, must take precedence over the interests of the state in securing convictions.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:09 am

"Acquittal" as opposed to a "not guilty" verdict is purely a common law concept. Look it up. The distinction exists only in your mind.

OOC: The wikipedia page on acquittal even starts with "In the common law tradition," before even giving the definition ffs.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 am

Knootoss wrote:"Acquittal" as opposed to a "not guilty" verdict is purely a common law concept. Look it up. The distinction exists only in your mind.

OOC: The wikipedia page on acquittal even starts with "In the common law tradition," before even giving the definition ffs.

We concur. We provide - as evidence to the Chamber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquittal
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Knootoss wrote:"Acquittal" as opposed to a "not guilty" verdict is purely a common law concept. Look it up. The distinction exists only in your mind.

If a nation that wants to allow prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts is so foolish as to not draw such a distinction in the face of this resolution, then there's really nothing for it.

All of this talk on the part of this resolution's opponents about prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts is a ruse; these delegations simply and outright oppose a ban on double jeopardy and they would oppose this resolution regardless, and they think that misrepresenting the effects of this resolution will reduce its support. They're wrong, and double jeopardy will be banned despite their efforts to the contrary.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:56 pm

As the author is aware, acquittal is generally defined as the finding that a defendant is not guilty; since acquittal is not defined within the proposal, that also what I'm assuming the proposal intends for it to mean to.

My question to the author is then what happens in situations where courts are able to give more than a not guilty verdict? Verdicts are not always so black and white. In various legal systems, there exists the "guilty" verdict, the "not guilty" verdict, but also a "not proven" verdict.

Does acquittal also cover "not proven" verdicts? It is substantially different to a "not guilty" verdict, which is itself defined as an acquittal.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Sanctaria wrote:As the author is aware, acquittal is generally defined as the finding that a defendant is not guilty; since acquittal is not defined within the proposal, that also what I'm assuming the proposal intends for it to mean to.

My question to the author is then what happens in situations where courts are able to give more than a not guilty verdict? Verdicts are not always so black and white. In various legal systems, there exists the "guilty" verdict, the "not guilty" verdict, but also a "not proven" verdict.

Does acquittal also cover "not proven" verdicts? It is substantially different to a "not guilty" verdict, which is itself defined as an acquittal.

First, you're wrong about the definition of "acquittal" versus a not guilty verdict. Clause 1 does not apply until a person has been finally acquitted by the judicial system, which may occur at some point after a jury returns a not guilty verdict, in order to give the prosecution time to appeal.

Second, as this proposal does not explicitly define "acquittal," leaving the definition to the reasonable interpretation of member states, a system in which an unappealed not guilty verdict results in a final order of acquittal but an unappealed not proven verdict does not would not violate this proposal, so long as the member state is reasonable in its implementation (e.g. doesn't just say that from now on not guilty verdicts are replaced by not proven verdicts and final orders of acquittal are never entered for anyone).

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:As the author is aware, acquittal is generally defined as the finding that a defendant is not guilty; since acquittal is not defined within the proposal, that also what I'm assuming the proposal intends for it to mean to.

First, you're wrong about the definition of "acquittal" versus a not guilty verdict. Clause 1 does not apply until a person has been finally acquitted by the judicial system, which may occur at some point after a jury returns a not guilty verdict, in order to give the prosecution time to appeal.

((OOC: Seriously? Are you sure about that? Being found not guilty is being acquitted; when you are acquitted, you have just been found not guilty. Acquittal is dependant on being given the not guilty verdict. My definition is correct. Check any legal dictionary.))

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:09 pm

For what it's worth, we are highly uncomfortable splitting hairs between "acquittal" and "not guilty".
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:For what it's worth, we are highly uncomfortable splitting hairs between "acquittal" and "not guilty".

We would normally agree, Ambassador, but there exists legal systems where other verdicts aside from not guilty exist and the legal definition for acquittal is being found not guilty.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Quelesh wrote:First, you're wrong about the definition of "acquittal" versus a not guilty verdict. Clause 1 does not apply until a person has been finally acquitted by the judicial system, which may occur at some point after a jury returns a not guilty verdict, in order to give the prosecution time to appeal.

We note that lack of the word "final" in clause 1, which would suggest to us that it could be interpreted to apply as soon as an initial verdict has been delivered. We refer to Friday's Legal Dictionary, which states as follows:

ac·quit·tal n 2: a setting free of deliverance from the charge of an offense by verdict of a jury, judgment of a court, or other legal process

judg·ment n ◊ Under the Rules of Standard Judicial Procedure, judgment encompasses a decree and any order from which an appeal lies.

final judgment : a judgment that leaves nothing further to be done on a matter except execution

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Quelesh wrote:

Second, as this proposal does not explicitly define "acquittal," leaving the definition to the reasonable interpretation of member states, a system in which an unappealed not guilty verdict results in a final order of acquittal but an unappealed not proven verdict does not would not violate this proposal, so long as the member state is reasonable in its implementation (e.g. doesn't just say that from now on not guilty verdicts are replaced by not proven verdicts and final orders of acquittal are never entered for anyone).

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

I am finished with this debate. Completely finished. You have made a mockery if this entire assembly through your actions here, your complete dishonesty with every ambassador here, and your infuriating bullheadedness regarding the wording of your proposal. That you would rather get it passed now rather than have it withdrawn, corrected, and resubmitted is testament to how little you care about the actual law you are putting into place.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Quelesh wrote:

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

I am finished with this debate. Completely finished. You have made a mockery if this entire assembly through your actions here, your complete dishonesty with every ambassador here, and your infuriating bullishness regarding the wording of your proposal. That you would rather get it passed now rather than have it withdrawn, corrected, and resubmitted is testament to how little you care about the actual law you are putting into place.

I'm in agreement with the Quelesian ambassador. If this passes, I will immediately propose a repeal; if that fails my nation will leave the assembly. The unclear language and lack of a clause to allow reopening a case in the event of new evidence being discovered is a mockery of justice, and I have no intention of allowing it to stand.
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun
When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Quelesh wrote:All of this talk on the part of this resolution's opponents about prosecution appeals of not guilty verdicts is a ruse; these delegations simply and outright oppose a ban on double jeopardy and they would oppose this resolution regardless, and they think that misrepresenting the effects of this resolution will reduce its support. They're wrong, and double jeopardy will be banned despite their efforts to the contrary.

This is demonstrably false, and you know it. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Such blatant lying on the floor of this assembly is completely abhorrent. Foisting opinions upon your opponents, even though you have participated in the debate in which they state the exact opposite, in order to scare people into supporting you is despicable. Your intransigence shocks me, ambassador. I had thought better of you.

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Knootoss
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

The author seems to have put his fingers in his ear with regards to reasonable criticisms about the wording of the proposal. So, who wants a shot at repealing this if it passes? I'll help.

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss
Last edited by Knootoss on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 am

Knootoss wrote:The author seems to have put his fingers in his ear with regards to reasonable criticisms about the wording of the proposal. So, who wants a shot at repealing this if it passes? I'll help.

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

I call dibs. I tried my best to stop it, I want to be the one to bring it down. Seriously. Give. It. Up.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 am

Alexandria goes by male pronouns now? Hrm.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am

Linux and the X wrote:Alexandria goes by male pronouns now? Hrm.

OOC: Double fail, meant to put "it", put "him".
Ideological Bulwark #253

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 am

Knootoss wrote:The author seems to have put his fingers in his ear with regards to reasonable criticisms about the wording of the proposal. So, who wants a shot at repealing this if it passes? I'll help.

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

I know it's rare illegal to put more than one co-author, but I'll put in my support and assistance. [hears laughter of assembly in background]

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Wisconsin7
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin7 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman

I call dibs. I tried my best to stop it, I want to be the one to bring it down. Seriously. Give. It. Up.

Hey, I was the first person to mention repealing it, I should get first shot at it.
R.I.P. 1000 Cats

I am a straight 14 year old male atheistic Communist vegan loner. If you have a problem with any of this, I only request that you stay the fuck away from me. If you have questions about atheism or Communism, ask someone else, because there's a 99% chance they can explain it better. If you have questions about veganism, or are yourself a vegan, send me a TG, because I fear that I am the only one on NSG.

Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown in sun

Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise

Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:We note that lack of the word "final" in clause 1, which would suggest to us that it could be interpreted to apply as soon as an initial verdict has been delivered.

Sure, it could be interpreted that way. But any reasonable nation that wants prosecutors to be able to appeal a not guilty verdict won't interpret it that way.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Goobergunchia wrote:We note that lack of the word "final" in clause 1, which would suggest to us that it could be interpreted to apply as soon as an initial verdict has been delivered.

Sure, it could be interpreted that way. But any reasonable nation that wants prosecutors to be able to appeal a not guilty verdict won't interpret it that way.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

That's not how this works. The law says what it says, means what it means, and is what it is. You can try to squeak through loopholes. Jump over small hills. But you cannot take the exact opposite meaning of the definition of the word simply because you are unwilling to deal with the consequences of your error.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Merfurian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Merfurian » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 pm

1. Once an individual has been acquitted of a crime, member states shall not try that individual for the same alleged criminal act again.

This clause COMPLETELY contradicts Cluase 2:
Member states may vacate an individual's conviction of a crime and grant the individual a new trial for that crime.

How can you retry someone under Clause 2 if they cannot be retried, according to Clause 1?

Further, Clause 1 destroys the institution of trial de novo, which is essential for correcting judicial error where Appeals Courts are unable to do so.

I also disagree with other Delegates insofar that I believe this ambassador has correctly identified the difference between acquittal and not guilty, being as they both mean the same thing. This is notwithstanding my previous criticisms.

Yours

Klause Uliyan
etc
Last edited by Merfurian on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issued from the Desk of the Very Honourable and Most Loyal Doctor Jonas K. Lazareedes LLD PC FJSCU FPC, FPAC(CI)ACCA Presidential Counsel
Former Justice of the Supreme Court of the Union, Former President of Appeals Chamber I of an Autonomous Court of Appeal, Most Loyal Counsellor and Advisor to the President of the Federal Republic (Member of the Federal Privy Council) Ambassador to the World Assembly
NOTE: I am gay, and I have asperger syndrome. My social skills are rubbish.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Quelesh wrote:Sure, it could be interpreted that way. But any reasonable nation that wants prosecutors to be able to appeal a not guilty verdict won't interpret it that way.

Of course it would be possible to redefine common legal terms so that the Moderately Liberal Unitary Republic remains in compliance. However, we would vastly prefer not to have to reprint all legal documents pertaining to criminal procedures to comply with a resolution that we are otherwise generally in compliance with.

Accordingly, we must stand opposed to this resolution when it goes to vote. Unless the Queleshi government is offering to fund our reprinting costs?

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Merfurian wrote:
1. Once an individual has been acquitted of a crime, member states shall not try that individual for the same alleged criminal act again.

Member states may vacate an individual's conviction of a crime and grant the individual a new trial for that crime.

How can you retry someone under Clause 2 if they cannot be retried, according to Clause 1?

Clause one bans retrying someone who has been acquitted. Clause two allows retrying someone who has been found guilty. This is, with no judgement on the fact intended, very defendant-biased.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Merfurian wrote:

Clause 1 deals with retrials after acquittals. Clauses 2-4 deal with retrials after convictions.

Linux and the X wrote:Clause one bans retrying someone who has been acquitted. Clause two allows retrying someone who has been found guilty. This is, with no judgement on the fact intended, very defendant-biased.

Thanks for also explaining the difference. It has also been my intention to be "defendant-biased" in this proposal, and criminal justice systems should be defendant-biased. That's why there's a presumption of innocence.

Alexandria Yadoru
Quelesian WA ambassador

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives